Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion timers too long

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 23, 2011
Hello, I have a small complaint. The timers for companions are too long. I, personally, think 6 hours is too long of a wait for my needed companions. Yes, I know I can force them to get up, or I can pay to revive them, and yes, you can have back ups for when they die, but they all are very expensive. Here is my explanation. Most of the time when companions go down, its mostly your swashbucklers. Now, for me as a buccaneer, swashbucklers are really good, I can be focused and tank, while they deal tons of damage. However, when Kobe or Neko, or even the mighty El Toro (Que the music), its devastating. Since they are Swashbucklers, they already have low health to most companions, and if I force them to get up, they lose even MORE health. I can pay them to revive, but that costs about, say I don't know... 30,000 gold. So, I move onto their backup, but that's bad too! If you have backups, you've had to spend a lot more gold on training tomes to level up your 3 backups. So overall, you either have to wait 6 hours, pay 30,000 gold for each death, spend gold for 3 backups, for your 3 main companions, or, make them lose 400 health, they die again, and restart your choices. I think the idea is a great one, it just needs some tweaking. Thank you for reading this, and have a good day.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
I don't like the timers either because back when I played the game during all my free time (I know I have no life ) when my companions died I would have to wait until they regenerated because I didn't know about the regeneration place until I was nearly done with the game. Though I didn't die too much because I did all the sidequests and leveled up my companions so I could overpower enemies rather than use strategy (because I'm not good at strategy) until the end of mooshu because at that point I could just do the main quest to level up to max until the beginning of aquila. But I think there should be a cheap medicine that speeds up the healing process.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Akufoo2 on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
Hello, I have a small complaint. The timers for companions are too long. I, personally, think 6 hours is too long of a wait for my needed companions. Yes, I know I can force them to get up, or I can pay to revive them, and yes, you can have back ups for when they die, but they all are very expensive. Here is my explanation. Most of the time when companions go down, its mostly your swashbucklers. Now, for me as a buccaneer, swashbucklers are really good, I can be focused and tank, while they deal tons of damage. However, when Kobe or Neko, or even the mighty El Toro (Que the music), its devastating. Since they are Swashbucklers, they already have low health to most companions, and if I force them to get up, they lose even MORE health. I can pay them to revive, but that costs about, say I don't know... 30,000 gold. So, I move onto their backup, but that's bad too! If you have backups, you've had to spend a lot more gold on training tomes to level up your 3 backups. So overall, you either have to wait 6 hours, pay 30,000 gold for each death, spend gold for 3 backups, for your 3 main companions, or, make them lose 400 health, they die again, and restart your choices. I think the idea is a great one, it just needs some tweaking. Thank you for reading this, and have a good day.
This subject on the times crops up every few months as players begin to hit the higher worlds. I see that you understand the necessity to train and level companions; but have you ever stopped to think that certain companions aren't good for all fights?
I notice you make no mention of Bonnie Anne ( or any musketeer ) or even of the excellent buccaneers on your crew. What about Quint, ( how can you NOT want to use Quint? ) Ratbeard and Barnabus ( both with Hold the Line and enough health to take hits and keep fighting. )
You forgot to mention an option that KI has implemented as a Talent for companions: Scrapper, this will allow you to get companions back faster. When the time comes to chose a talent and the prime one that I want for a companion isn't available ( like Tough for RB or Dodgy for Sarah, I chose to give them "Scrapper". )
It sounds to me that you have got into a rut of using one strategy with one "dream team", this is why your companions are wounded and need best rest - try going with a First Mate or Random in your Orders and try different ways of fighting a battle.
There is also the option of giving those companions that you don't like the task of Plunderin' ( gold ), Scavengin' ( gear ), or Wranglin' ( pet gear, snacks or eggs ). Using these talent can get you gold for training tomes from selling the gear and snacks you don't need.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
This has been brought up many times since bed rest was introduced.

Personally, I believe that if you constantly lose companions to bed rest, they are NOT the best crew to be using for that battle. Rather than change the system, change your strategy to work with the system. If you are a buccaneer, why not use other buccs on your crew for those powerful enemies who take out El Toro with one critical Epic chain? There's more than one way to skin a cyclops. Do you have any Valor's Armor powers? Maybe you need a few...

If you insist on healing your A-team, use a Companion Task like Scavenging to earn gold for your Pirate - it is not difficult. Train your pets with The Hornpipe and sell those Bosun's Whistles for 1,020 gold each. Also, if you train your favorites in the Scrapper Talent, they will have shorter bed rest timers (although I don't think it affects the cost of healing).

Keel Hauling for tomes, Brawlin' for experience -- it doesn't cost a lot anymore to train up second tier companions.

Each of your complaints already has a solution. :)

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Welcome to the message boards. Oh, and YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with you so so so so much! It is the worst for s cause they get so many companions that they can barley train all of them. So, yes. I agree.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I also wish to ask you if you have tried healing or shielding your companions when they get in trouble? There is gear that grants Valor's Armor or Fort for buccaneers and you can train basic heals from the Commodore, there are pets with their own heals or grants like Regroup.
BTW, I forgot to welcome you to the message boards! Sorry that I have to disagree with your first post!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
I'm partial both sides of this. I hate the timer and the amount of money I have to pay if I want them early plus I don't want to train them with anything that wont benefit them in battle. for the other side I see it as a good thing. I have a friend who has only his best trained he hasn't trained anyone else (his bonnie is still at lvl 3) now that he is in mb and getting to Aquila he is asking for help more since his companions are dying (as we all know bucks don't get allot of companions to choose from and most aren't very good) so I see this as a good way to teach him to train his companions or else. but as for swashbucklers, my buck doesn't even use his. they die to fast and I just keep them as back up incase I need to use them. I always just do 2 tanks and a musket. as a fellow buccaneer i know that we get the least amount of companions and to be honest. most aren't very good. to me i only have 6 good companions (sorry i'm not counting toro.) they would be pete bonnie eagle hoplite billy the kid (hes not bad. but not great) kobe and ratbeard (hes a buck, and a pretty good one) so here is what i suggest, buy some crown shop companions i would do goro and fin and then pete (nausica if you can. she will replace fin) keep all your tanks first in line for replacments and then your swashbucklers last. may not seem like a good idea at first but trust me, it works.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TheDragonspyrePira... on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
I'm partial both sides of this. I hate the timer and the amount of money I have to pay if I want them early plus I don't want to train them with anything that wont benefit them in battle. for the other side I see it as a good thing. I have a friend who has only his best trained he hasn't trained anyone else (his bonnie is still at lvl 3) now that he is in mb and getting to Aquila he is asking for help more since his companions are dying (as we all know bucks don't get allot of companions to choose from and most aren't very good) so I see this as a good way to teach him to train his companions or else. but as for swashbucklers, my buck doesn't even use his. they die to fast and I just keep them as back up incase I need to use them. I always just do 2 tanks and a musket. as a fellow buccaneer i know that we get the least amount of companions and to be honest. most aren't very good. to me i only have 6 good companions (sorry i'm not counting toro.) they would be pete bonnie eagle hoplite billy the kid (hes not bad. but not great) kobe and ratbeard (hes a buck, and a pretty good one) so here is what i suggest, buy some crown shop companions i would do goro and fin and then pete (nausica if you can. she will replace fin) keep all your tanks first in line for replacments and then your swashbucklers last. may not seem like a good idea at first but trust me, it works.
Except your advice is more expensive ( since it costs real money ) than the options the original poster listed. And what do you mean, "bucks don't have good companions"?
Peter Quint, quite possibly the best of the trainer companions in the game.
Barnabus, a good, solid companion and if trained well, can deal and take a lot of damage .
Kobe Yojimbo & Taro Moomori
And the core companions who everybody gets.
Bonnie Anne, capable of strings of burst fire crits.
Ratbeard, an awesome damage dealer with enough health to keep kickin' tail.
El Toro, if you're not a privateer, this guy is the key for your companions

So go over your crew, train them, level and promote as many as you can, and try different combinations out, you might find a gem that has been over-looked!

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
Except your advice is more expensive ( since it costs real money ) than the options the original poster listed. And what do you mean, "bucks don't have good companions"?
Barnabus, a good, solid companion and if trained well, can deal and take a lot of damage .

So go over your crew, train them, level and promote as many as you can, and try different combinations out, you might find a gem that has been over-looked!
s are so lucky they get Peter. s ( Like me ) are stuck with... The Marchioness! *Shudder* I don't like her as much as the others, as you can tell. But I don't not like her.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:

I did say they did have some, I'm just saying in my opinion allot of them aren't good. I do agree some are good like peter quint, but also for the real money part. in my experience as a long time buccaneer for example goro works better with me than most of my companions. barnabus I didn't count him due to my memory of him not being good, I mean he's okay but not exactly the best. taro moomori however isn't that good to me. he just isn't worth it in my experience. if you look closer I did count pete, bonnie, kobe, and ratbeard. as for el toro he can't make it through long battles for me that's why I didn't count him. companions die more in longer battles which is why I didn't include him. all my companions are lvl 65 (or over) all promoted top tier and I test them every so often in different ways. the thing is my companions don't usually die, and I try my best to keep them alive, the way I count on how good they are is 1 do they die and how fast 2 damage, can they deal allot, 3 can they take it. I'm a bit more strict on which companions make the cut so my advice may not be the best but sometimes you have to hear what works right for other people

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I really don't think they are. It's very rare that I lose a companion; the 6+ hours they're out isn't that big a deal at my level (I'm thinking it's over six because when they're on other tasks it's over six hours). I have plenty of companions and run them on full random so I never know who I'm going to get. Even with an all-WD crew one fight I won, no companions dropped. I'm running a bucky now, and my general play style is InYourFace in general, but I hardly ever lose anyone.

How are back-ups expensive? You've got a dozen or so companions you're not using; they can be brawlin' to keep their levels close to yours and pulled off a brawl if you lose too many of your favored companions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
s are so lucky they get Peter. s ( Like me ) are stuck with... The Marchioness! *Shudder* I don't like her as much as the others, as you can tell. But I don't not like her.
I have a privy and I enjoy using the Marchioness ( in fact, she's my first mate ) and since I am a privy and I use those buffs, the "March" can totally bust heads and take names.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
I have a privy and I enjoy using the Marchioness ( in fact, she's my first mate ) and since I am a privy and I use those buffs, the "March" can totally bust heads and take names.
I would like her more if she had more. We barely even need to use the charm spell and s already have enough buffs. She needs more stuff.