Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ranked pvp designed for pvp enthusiasts?

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard said before ranked pvp would be designed with such players in mind, although stated before by one eyed jack kingsisle is not in the same league as players when it comes to pvp, so i find it hard to believe they can build a ranked system for a game type they dont fully grasp, consulting top pvp players i feel would greatly help in building ranked pvp for pvp enthusiasts. Such consultants could include stormy quentin verger who currently holds the most tournament wins on pirate101 central, or alex deathflame a TM on pirate101 central, the fiesty orange a prominent figure in the pvp community and pirate101 community as a whole, maybe quick harry abbott who's doing the best as a swashbuckler on the summer ladder on pirate101 central, or prehaps even me who's defeated every other top privateer more times then they've beaten me, but if you dont wanna consult the ones who are the most affected by this, i can just tell you what we want, we want a ranking system that removes and rewards points based on skill of the opponent, we want doubloons to be banned from ALL pvp, we want a match finder, and we want more battleboards, other then that we dont want anything else to change, we dont want super nerfing of some classes although bucks could do with a damage reduction and an armor increase and be the tanks they should be, we dont want it designed for everyone, we want it designed for those that can handle such an enviroment, we want something to cater to an older audience instead of being just another carebear thing like moo manchu's tower, although i will give you an B+ on the smugglers dungeon for a challenging pve dungeon, B+ because its hard, but not an A+ because you needed to give them one shot attacks and raise them 10 levels to be a challenge

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
Ratbeard said before ranked pvp would be designed with such players in mind, although stated before by one eyed jack kingsisle is not in the same league as players when it comes to pvp, so i find it hard to believe they can build a ranked system for a game type they dont fully grasp, consulting top pvp players i feel would greatly help in building ranked pvp for pvp enthusiasts. Such consultants could include stormy quentin verger who currently holds the most tournament wins on pirate101 central, or alex deathflame a TM on pirate101 central, the fiesty orange a prominent figure in the pvp community and pirate101 community as a whole, maybe quick harry abbott who's doing the best as a swashbuckler on the summer ladder on pirate101 central, or prehaps even me who's defeated every other top privateer more times then they've beaten me, but if you dont wanna consult the ones who are the most affected by this, i can just tell you what we want, we want a ranking system that removes and rewards points based on skill of the opponent, we want doubloons to be banned from ALL pvp, we want a match finder, and we want more battleboards, other then that we dont want anything else to change, we dont want super nerfing of some classes although bucks could do with a damage reduction and an armor increase and be the tanks they should be, we dont want it designed for everyone, we want it designed for those that can handle such an enviroment, we want something to cater to an older audience instead of being just another carebear thing like moo manchu's tower, although i will give you an B+ on the smugglers dungeon for a challenging pve dungeon, B+ because its hard, but not an A+ because you needed to give them one shot attacks and raise them 10 levels to be a challenge
I think we're going to be arguing about this subject, Robert. Just because One Eyed Jack and Decius were pvping ( and yes, both need a lot more practice ) you must understand that this was a demo for us players; but Ratbeard DID mention that they were designing ranked pvp with both the die-hard pvp-er and the pve-er in mind.
Before you start wringing your hands and wailing that this kind of pvp isn't what you had in mind, why not wait and see what KI offers?
How do you know that the ranked system wasn't created and tested by better players/developers than Friendly Thomas and Decius? I would think the fact that OEJ has come out with a very solid hint that P101 gamers need to practice their pvp would have you ecstatic! Also that he even gave a hint proves that ranked is coming very soon, perhaps even with a story update!

Developer
The mobs in the Tower and the Arena don't have any powers or abilities that the players don't have; they just have powers and abilities that mobs typically don't have.

Those "one shot" attacks you're talking about, I assume, are the same Backstab/Sneak Attack/Assassin's Strike powers that you have. I didn't have to create anything new for these tough new mobs, I just gave them each a handful of the best player powers, appropriate for their class and level. Swashbucklers will have backstabs, musketeers will have bombs, etc.

If it's somehow considered "cheating" if the PvE mobs have a fraction of the skills, powers, and intelligence that the players have... well, PvP should prove very interesting, I guess.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
I'd like to see some companion buffs is it too much to ask for monquistans to be viable in pvp?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
The mobs in the Tower and the Arena don't have any powers or abilities that the players don't have; they just have powers and abilities that mobs typically don't have.

Those "one shot" attacks you're talking about, I assume, are the same Backstab/Sneak Attack/Assassin's Strike powers that you have. I didn't have to create anything new for these tough new mobs, I just gave them each a handful of the best player powers, appropriate for their class and level. Swashbucklers will have backstabs, musketeers will have bombs, etc.

If it's somehow considered "cheating" if the PvE mobs have a fraction of the skills, powers, and intelligence that the players have... well, PvP should prove very interesting, I guess.
oh no, i dont consider it cheating, i called them one shot powers because they one shot some companions with those powers such as swashbucklers, actually i wish mobs cheated a lot more like gain 500 health every buff or lose 500 health every debuff or had a 4x attack instead of 3x, would make battles against mobs actually fun, now for the tower, its easy despite it being "nefarious", and mobs do have a fraction of intelligence of the players but sometimes i wonder if that is true with some of the stuff i see in brawl hall..........

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
I think we're going to be arguing about this subject, Robert. Just because One Eyed Jack and Decius were pvping ( and yes, both need a lot more practice ) you must understand that this was a demo for us players; but Ratbeard DID mention that they were designing ranked pvp with both the die-hard pvp-er and the pve-er in mind.
Before you start wringing your hands and wailing that this kind of pvp isn't what you had in mind, why not wait and see what KI offers?
How do you know that the ranked system wasn't created and tested by better players/developers than Friendly Thomas and Decius? I would think the fact that OEJ has come out with a very solid hint that P101 gamers need to practice their pvp would have you ecstatic! Also that he even gave a hint proves that ranked is coming very soon, perhaps even with a story update!
from previous moderator posts i have concluded that ratbeard is the best kingsisle has to offer, and no telling us to practice our pvp isnt having me ecstatic, thats what i've been doing for 2 years now, all it is is a promise its coming but no confirmation its coming soon, yes they hinted but they've been hinting for a long time now so i'm sorry if i'm a downer. Actually i'd like to see how good ratbeard is, Ratbeard if it isnt too much trouble i'd like a 1v1 to see how good you actually are, i remember jack saying he'd like to pit you against cunning justin silver before

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Sunny Wolf on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
I'd like to see some companion buffs is it too much to ask for monquistans to be viable in pvp?
marchioness, privateer master race :)

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Ratbeard on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:

Its not cheating at all. It made it more fun actually. I'd like to see it in more in game dungeons. I look forward to continuing the story soon.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Hey Ratbeard! Can we get a dungeon of nefarious undead carebears from Grizzleheim? They can have one hit point and when you kill them they come back with ten thousand and turn you to stone if you drunk the potion or something.

Let's roll with this thing! Give them what they want in your expert way. How about a floating battle board that you can knock your enemies off of and you get the joy of watching them fall to their defeat. Or one of fire that hurts you every round. Mountains of Aquila...,Dunes of Krokotopia... etc. The battle boards should have traps on them like spikes that paralyze, swamps of poison, quicksand that can suck you down, harpy attacks that charm you, fighting statues like in the tower, and things that remove buffs including hide if you step on them.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
From what I've read over time from Ratbeard there seems to be a lot he had planned already. This is what I remember reading/being told about so lets just see the list and correct me if I'm wrong or missed something.

-Door for each LvL Range
I believe I remembered hearing a lot about this before, having a split between lvl's like 1-5, 25-30, etc for each lvl range. If this is implemented into ranked along with the idea of if you're a lvl 25 warlord and you wait a # of minutes you will get a low/mid ranked lvl 30 because 5 lvl's of difference is beatable but still a challenge so a warlord fighting a low rank in this example would have the skill barer help out.

-Buff Update
Anyone who was a big fan of PvP heard about this, it was a big talk that a lot of people didn't know about but Ratbeard talked a bit about it, removing the ability to stack the same type of buffs e.g. Sharks Fury and Whales Might,

How it was going to work: I use Kraken's coils then Pete's Whale's might on the same turn, because Kraken Coil's got cast first it would go on standby for the 3 turns Pete's Whale is up the Kraken's Coils would still go down but the only stat bonus would come from Whale's might and once it ended the Kraken's Coils would come back into effect but still have gone down from 10 to 7 turns.

-Doubloons Off/On Option
One big thing that was a major talk before was disabling Doubloons from PvP, it made the matches non-exciting at all and even One-Eyed Jack in the live stream said 'nah I'm not even gonna use doubloons' during his match so we know that its become an unspoken rule already that doubloons are banned from pvp of course in ranked this would become a problem because they're 'broken' and it just needs to be banned BUT lets let the players decide? Ratbeard said that he would add an option for this awhile ago, I hope this still stays as planned.

If this with new battle boards came with practice and ranked match finder systems I'm happy. But yes consult the pvpers as well!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Also how about conditions for victory like complete in so many turns or a time trial. Polaris' board can be an artic tundra where players would have to deal with blizzards which causes encasement in ice or the crystals that immobilize. In the mountains of Aquila avalanche which causes the parties to be knocked back or the coliseum when they must face gladiators and fierce beasts. In the sand dunes of Krokotopia besides quicksand you can also do sandstorms which cause blindness which lowers accuracy and dodge. The Skull Island board can have the volcano from Waponi Wu lava on the battlefield causes burns. Cool Ranch's battle board could be a haunted graveyard where players would have to deal with a random zombie. Zombie's curse would disable a piece of player's equipment for the entire battle. Battle board selection would be completely random by the system after entering for a match.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Also don't forget to make it fun for all the ninjas who love to attack behind the scenes. While I am not going to play the game of shadow walkers it would be nice to have something to "entertain" them.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I agree with what you say, except the nerfing of swashbucklers. Swashes aren't meant to tank, but be glass cannons.

More battle boards would be fun. I'd like to see the Aquilan board.

I love the idea of catering to those who are strong enough for the environment. I don't PvP often, but having a system like that in place would entice me to do more PvP and get better.

Regardless, if there is going to be a Ranked PvP systems coming soon(which was heavily hinted at in the live event) then I gotta get practicing.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Jun 27, 2015 wrote:
Hey Ratbeard! Can we get a dungeon of nefarious undead carebears from Grizzleheim? They can have one hit point and when you kill them they come back with ten thousand and turn you to stone if you drunk the potion or something.

Let's roll with this thing! Give them what they want in your expert way. How about a floating battle board that you can knock your enemies off of and you get the joy of watching them fall to their defeat. Or one of fire that hurts you every round. Mountains of Aquila...,Dunes of Krokotopia... etc. The battle boards should have traps on them like spikes that paralyze, swamps of poison, quicksand that can suck you down, harpy attacks that charm you, fighting statues like in the tower, and things that remove buffs including hide if you step on them.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I have this horrible image of an undead Care Bear ( TM ) lumbering across the battleboard saying; "I want to give you a hug ( of Doom )". I hated Care Bears ( yuck! )
I'm a little terrified about cheating mobs or bosses, they're really out of hand in W101, please allow us to have dungeons capable of soloing ( and not needing insane OP gear to solo! )

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
FireMorgan13 on Jun 27, 2015 wrote:
I agree with what you say, except the nerfing of swashbucklers. Swashes aren't meant to tank, but be glass cannons.

More battle boards would be fun. I'd like to see the Aquilan board.

I love the idea of catering to those who are strong enough for the environment. I don't PvP often, but having a system like that in place would entice me to do more PvP and get better.

Regardless, if there is going to be a Ranked PvP systems coming soon(which was heavily hinted at in the live event) then I gotta get practicing.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
i didnt say swashbucklers, i said bucks

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
zuto4011a on Jun 27, 2015 wrote:
marchioness, privateer master race :)
I am a privateer and I got a marchioness I want a entire team full of monkeys not just one

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
TechnomagePvP on Jun 27, 2015 wrote:
From what I've read over time from Ratbeard there seems to be a lot he had planned already. This is what I remember reading/being told about so lets just see the list and correct me if I'm wrong or missed something.

-Door for each LvL Range
I believe I remembered hearing a lot about this before, having a split between lvl's like 1-5, 25-30, etc for each lvl range. If this is implemented into ranked along with the idea of if you're a lvl 25 warlord and you wait a # of minutes you will get a low/mid ranked lvl 30 because 5 lvl's of difference is beatable but still a challenge so a warlord fighting a low rank in this example would have the skill barer help out.

-Buff Update
Anyone who was a big fan of PvP heard about this, it was a big talk that a lot of people didn't know about but Ratbeard talked a bit about it, removing the ability to stack the same type of buffs e.g. Sharks Fury and Whales Might,

How it was going to work: I use Kraken's coils then Pete's Whale's might on the same turn, because Kraken Coil's got cast first it would go on standby for the 3 turns Pete's Whale is up the Kraken's Coils would still go down but the only stat bonus would come from Whale's might and once it ended the Kraken's Coils would come back into effect but still have gone down from 10 to 7 turns.

-Doubloons Off/On Option
One big thing that was a major talk before was disabling Doubloons from PvP, it made the matches non-exciting at all and even One-Eyed Jack in the live stream said 'nah I'm not even gonna use doubloons' during his match so we know that its become an unspoken rule already that doubloons are banned from pvp of course in ranked this would become a problem because they're 'broken' and it just needs to be banned BUT lets let the players decide? Ratbeard said that he would add an option for this awhile ago, I hope this still stays as planned.

If this with new battle boards came with practice and ranked match finder systems I'm happy. But yes consult the pvpers as well!
Will this change to buffs apply outside of PvP? Because, it'd be a bummer if I can't stack buffs anymore..

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
zuto4011a on Jun 28, 2015 wrote:
i didnt say swashbucklers, i said bucks
My bad. Sorry, I was tired, I misinterpreted the short hand. That does make a lot more sense, and I agree.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Sunny Wolf on Jun 28, 2015 wrote:
I am a privateer and I got a marchioness I want a entire team full of monkeys not just one
You could get Hoodoo Cornelius, he is at his best when working with a privateer, and his bundle just went online. Also, you do get another monkey from a side quest, he is just not that good.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Voodoo Cornelius on Jun 28, 2015 wrote:
You could get Hoodoo Cornelius, he is at his best when working with a privateer, and his bundle just went online. Also, you do get another monkey from a side quest, he is just not that good.
Hoodoo Cornelius is okay I'd like every cpanikn to be viable to some degree in my opinion if your companion is max level and isn't useful in the smugglers arena it needs a buff

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Sunny Wolf on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
Hoodoo Cornelius is okay I'd like every cpanikn to be viable to some degree in my opinion if your companion is max level and isn't useful in the smugglers arena it needs a buff
this is a game with many companions so some will strictly be better then others, you have to choose the ones meant to be good, side quest companions generally arent good some yes but most no, most main quest companions are good and always viable, see what i'm getting at here? ones directly related to the story are usually better( ratbeard, hawkules, bonnie anne) while others not directly related to the story are bad( any monquistan, nurse quinn, jim masterson) you cant hope for all companions to be viable thats just ridiculous

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
zuto4011a on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
this is a game with many companions so some will strictly be better then others, you have to choose the ones meant to be good, side quest companions generally arent good some yes but most no, most main quest companions are good and always viable, see what i'm getting at here? ones directly related to the story are usually better( ratbeard, hawkules, bonnie anne) while others not directly related to the story are bad( any monquistan, nurse quinn, jim masterson) you cant hope for all companions to be viable thats just ridiculous
No its not. Think about it for a second it would add so much more depth and strategy to PvP along with the variety and not everyone would be restricted to the same few companions that are good on top of that it would benefit kingsisles greatly. How exactly? Well some people would be much more inclined to purchase crown shop companions if they were viable which in turn is a source of income for them. Of course I doubt they will all be at the same level but some of them literally have nothing unique about them in terms of playstyle and some of them are just too weak to even be used in normal mob combat. Variety is good sure some are meant to be stronger than others but come on they at least deserve a chance.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Well, keep in mind that there are many of us who pvp, but don't necessarily get involved with the tournaments on P101 Central...though I have beaten some pirates that I know do take part. One thing you say that I think is actually a point against your case is that you want an environment created for those who can handle it, yet you wish to restrict the use of doubloons. That doesn't really make any sense because doubloons would be an 'unknown'. Something you couldn't predict or prepare for. So if you truly were a great pvp enthusiast, wouldn't you be up to the challenge of facing someone who uses doubloons? I was in a match the other day (all max levels) and each member of the other team used doubloons every round while our side did not and we still won. I also disagree about lowering the Buccaneers damage and giving them more armor. Tank units still need to have some offensive capability and if it takes a Buccaneer twice as long to solo the game because they are only hitting for 300 damage with every attack, nobody will want to play that class. Though you and those pirates you mention by name are accomplished in pvp, I seriously doubt that you represent the pvp community as a whole. There are many people who play this game, but don't go on P101 Central (like me and almost everyone I know lol) and every feature must be tailored to all players...not just a select few. So maybe a good question to ask would be...are YOU able to handle an environment where anything goes?

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Spiral Cowboy on Jul 4, 2015 wrote:
Well, keep in mind that there are many of us who pvp, but don't necessarily get involved with the tournaments on P101 Central...though I have beaten some pirates that I know do take part. One thing you say that I think is actually a point against your case is that you want an environment created for those who can handle it, yet you wish to restrict the use of doubloons. That doesn't really make any sense because doubloons would be an 'unknown'. Something you couldn't predict or prepare for. So if you truly were a great pvp enthusiast, wouldn't you be up to the challenge of facing someone who uses doubloons? I was in a match the other day (all max levels) and each member of the other team used doubloons every round while our side did not and we still won. I also disagree about lowering the Buccaneers damage and giving them more armor. Tank units still need to have some offensive capability and if it takes a Buccaneer twice as long to solo the game because they are only hitting for 300 damage with every attack, nobody will want to play that class. Though you and those pirates you mention by name are accomplished in pvp, I seriously doubt that you represent the pvp community as a whole. There are many people who play this game, but don't go on P101 Central (like me and almost everyone I know lol) and every feature must be tailored to all players...not just a select few. So maybe a good question to ask would be...are YOU able to handle an environment where anything goes?
Let me ask you this, why do you think Doubloons are looked down upon? While you answer that let me give you some examples of why every top pvper known in the pvp community agrees about this. Treasure cards are complained about on Wiz ALL the time, right? Well doubloons are even more insane but actually there is a reason to complain about unlike TC which are balanced. Doubloons you can use and STILL make a different move.

This is an example Deathflame used as well so sorry for stealing it: Say on wizard101 tc worked like doubloons, I could use a TC Stun and Medusa in the same round as a myth wizard so that means I stun them for 2 rounds then break the 1 stun block, right? Now lets say I had max pips as well, that means I could once again stun tc and Medusa, right? That means 3 more turns they're stunned plus no stun shield for next time I wanna do this so I could again go myth blade with tc stun, pet myth blade with tc stun, infallible with tc stun, then medusa and they once again don't get a turn to move and 3 medusa's at any lvl is a GG if not the already 2 they took.

Now lets put this scenerio in Pirate101, I'm a swashbuckler and I use Black Fog an already problematic power in the community regardless of what class you are. Say I run up to you and you stacked protection buffs, I'll simply Purge you then next turn you have maybe 1 protection buff if none at all when it comes back to my turn, now I'm already x2 damage from fog but now I use a lvl 65 Weapon power doubloon, that's an additional x2 damage so now an assassin with x4 damage hitting a single Fort will easily still do 3k damage plus bleeding! So lets also add this buckler poisoned you as well, and they have flames, doesn't matter what class you are, you're dead.

Also a no rules tournament was hosted with doubloons allowed, it was crazy and it was won by a Buckler doing what I said above with tons of summons, it was horrible. See why doubloons MUST at least be able to be turned off for rank pvp now?

~Tech