Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Open Chat and Normal Chat miscommunication

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Having access to filtered and normal chat means that you can also communicate with certain open chat players. However some of the time they use words that are not in the dictionary, and this makes me say thier message sometimes like: "Hello Dino? I decided to visit the football museum today and there were these shoes called the ..., as well as the ... . I think Lionel ..., is a great player and that ..., will win the World Cup."

Can you make a slight, un-annoying notification to open chat players, that if they use yellow words (words that ain't in the dictionary) to communicate with regular chat players, that the regular chat players won't see all the words you are saying. I find it hard sometimes to explain to open chat players that I can't see all they say...

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Wow. I did not know there are open chat people who didn't understand that, or at least learn it pretty quickly. I thought it was explained somewhere, maybe it was explained on Wizard. Still there are many people who don't tend to read guides. I would think an open chat player who didn't know would have had a helpful person explain it before they got very far in the game. Maybe not. Try to be patient with the ones who need the explanation. If they learn it from you, you are making it easier for another person with filtered chat who meets them.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Part of the problem is how to tell the Pirates who have filtered chat from those with open chat. If I know that I am dealing with filtered chat, then I try and make sure that I don't use any yellow or red lettered words. At the moment, there is no way that I know for open chat players to know if there are filtered chat players that we are trying to talk to unless they tell us that they didn't understand our text (usually means they received the dreaded '...').

Community Leader
SlightlyMadWizard on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
Part of the problem is how to tell the Pirates who have filtered chat from those with open chat. If I know that I am dealing with filtered chat, then I try and make sure that I don't use any yellow or red lettered words. At the moment, there is no way that I know for open chat players to know if there are filtered chat players that we are trying to talk to unless they tell us that they didn't understand our text (usually means they received the dreaded '...').
Its been awhile since I paid much of a mind to it, but this is how that should work:

A chat bubble icon should be reflected next to a pirates name.

Circle with line through it: Menu chat
Chat bubble: Filtered chat
No bubble: Open chat

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
Dr Zeppers on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
Its been awhile since I paid much of a mind to it, but this is how that should work:

A chat bubble icon should be reflected next to a pirates name.

Circle with line through it: Menu chat
Chat bubble: Filtered chat
No bubble: Open chat
It's next to their badge/title but some pirates don't have one do this can't always be used.

In pirate if you select no title there will be no title.
In wizard it will have your level and school (ie Legendary Diviner)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I am just waiting for the time when they put an indicator in the friend's information. That way when I want to send a private message to someone I can edit my words if they have limited chat. I cannot possibly keep track of who has limited or who doesn't. Menu chat is easy, you can't type to them if they have it. It's the difference between limited and open chat that I would love to be able to check before I send a message.