Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Goronado Companion Unit Makeover

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I've beaten Gortez 25 times and enjoyed seeing Goronado, the badge companion unit, many even did and even recruited him on their crew, but I heavily feel that despite Goroando's fur strands' flag color dependent choices by the pirates, his current appearance looks like a duplicate of Gortez, no matter what appearance Goronado changes in terms of promoting that companion. I highly suggest you give Goronado a huge appearance change, in terms of his character appearance, the weapon he wields in his hand, and character portraits, especially the gear he wears, and the color of his base fur, not the strands. Changing Goronado's appearance will definitely make him look more like an individual, yet independent gorilla general. Sure, guys, a look-a-like companion, I can handle, but they ought to have much different traits that will ease the mistaking of the original characters, namely being Gortez himself. Compare Gortez and Goronado's appearances, if you may, and please consider this request. Thanks for listening!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Think about this. He looks, and his voiceovers sound like WAY too much like Gortez, so, he needs to look way different. He's not supposed to be and look like some kind of identical twin to Gortez. The current appearance of his gear and clothes tell. His voiceovers also needs to be different, so he won't speak the same as Gortez's voice does. He needs to look much different so Pirates won't have to bear the confusion about Goroando anymore. Does anyone else agree to this?

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Trimond297 on Mar 25, 2013 wrote:
Think about this. He looks, and his voiceovers sound like WAY too much like Gortez, so, he needs to look way different. He's not supposed to be and look like some kind of identical twin to Gortez. The current appearance of his gear and clothes tell. His voiceovers also needs to be different, so he won't speak the same as Gortez's voice does. He needs to look much different so Pirates won't have to bear the confusion about Goroando anymore. Does anyone else agree to this?
I disagree with you. I think you are stating the complete opposite of what Kingsisle was trying to do. I think they wanted him to look like a copy of Gortez. Knowing that Gortez would be a crucial NPC for the stories to come and that he wouldn't be a major companion, KI probably found him unique enough to have him get a "twin" companion as to feel like Gortez was actually on your team. Besides, it wouldn't make sense to have Gortez on your crew, yet you talk to him for the Opposition. That would make an in-game paradox. I think Goronado should stay as he is so he feels like he is Gortez on your crew. Plus how would players get confused? Goronado doesn't have Gortez's name above him so people can't ask "How do I get Gortez as Companion?." You only talk to Gortez in Monquista and no more after. And the only way to get Goronado is to fight Gortez 25 times so it's really unlikely many will take the feat to get him.

And in essense of this, wouldn't that mean that the Eep Ork Op Ah-Ah companion would need a heavy remake as he looks like the mob? Or that all the look-a-likes of the Mooshu 5, Kraken 5, and Presidio 5 need a voiceover change?

Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
I sort of feel like it would be easier to just change his name to Gortez, but a change could be interesting.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
i must agree i really dislike the helmet after promotion!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
I disagree with you. I think you are stating the complete opposite of what Kingsisle was trying to do. I think they wanted him to look like a copy of Gortez. Knowing that Gortez would be a crucial NPC for the stories to come and that he wouldn't be a major companion, KI probably found him unique enough to have him get a "twin" companion as to feel like Gortez was actually on your team. Besides, it wouldn't make sense to have Gortez on your crew, yet you talk to him for the Opposition. That would make an in-game paradox. I think Goronado should stay as he is so he feels like he is Gortez on your crew. Plus how would players get confused? Goronado doesn't have Gortez's name above him so people can't ask "How do I get Gortez as Companion?." You only talk to Gortez in Monquista and no more after. And the only way to get Goronado is to fight Gortez 25 times so it's really unlikely many will take the feat to get him.

And in essense of this, wouldn't that mean that the Eep Ork Op Ah-Ah companion would need a heavy remake as he looks like the mob? Or that all the look-a-likes of the Mooshu 5, Kraken 5, and Presidio 5 need a voiceover change?
Having Gortez as an NPC is enough, nothing more. I was stating my point about Goronado looking and sounding bit too much like Gortez, and how he can be changed to be more of an individual, much like the look-a-likes of the Mooshu 5, Kraken 5, and Presidio 5.

The look-a-likes of the Mooshu 5, Kraken 5, and Presidio 5 DO need a voiceover change, because they've been, you know, borrowing the voiceovers of the original gangs. Don't all the look-a-likes need to have different voices?

Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is how he is. I'm sure he does have to be beaten 25 times in order to get the Troggy Chief as a companion.

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Trimond297 on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:
Having Gortez as an NPC is enough, nothing more. I was stating my point about Goronado looking and sounding bit too much like Gortez, and how he can be changed to be more of an individual, much like the look-a-likes of the Mooshu 5, Kraken 5, and Presidio 5.

The look-a-likes of the Mooshu 5, Kraken 5, and Presidio 5 DO need a voiceover change, because they've been, you know, borrowing the voiceovers of the original gangs. Don't all the look-a-likes need to have different voices?

Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is how he is. I'm sure he does have to be beaten 25 times in order to get the Troggy Chief as a companion.
I really find Goronado fine as he is. If all he needs is a change in armor coloring to maybe silver or bronze instead of gold then I'm ok with that. But to go and change his whole appearance is a bit much for Kingsisle to do in my opinion. He is a side companion who costs 7495 crowns that I doubt many (as in half of the 1 million players) will spend on let alone try and gain. Maybe some will beat Gortez 25 times for the heck of it, but to go as far as bribe Goronado on there crew is unlikely to me.

As for the look-a-likes of the Mooshu, Kraken, and Presidio 5, they have the same moves as the originals, they have the same attack animations as the orginals, and have the same species as the originals. Again I think they were designed to keep the voices of the originals because it make it feel like a Buccuneer actually has Sarah Steele on their crew (also it was more convenient and cheaper). Plus since these are side companions again and most that i've seen don't buy crown Companions right away, I don't think it was worth going as far as to hire voice actors just so a few crown companions could be different when they get rarely noticed.

If change does come for these guys, great. If not, then what is here works for the time being. Maybe you'll get lucky and the programming for these guys' voices and appearence gets lost and now they have to start all over and get to remake their voices and design lol.

And for Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah, do you feel he needs a remake or no because like Goronado he looks exactly like the boss. No individualitly to him as you'd put it.