Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Fort McMurtry quests, both main story & side

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
All right, Pirates. You know that we head to Fort McMurtry in Book 10, where Captain Blood's hideout is, yes? We head there to find Sabatini, the rat that led the mutiny against Captain Blood & stole his key to his treasure, & instead, we find Colonel Church & end up aiding him fend off Captain Blood's ghost ship fleet while they re-build their defenses during "Blasted Desperadoes!", & we did.

Now, here comes this. Blind Mew, I hope you have time to read this feedback & story-related post, if you're around...

Once we did so, there was this part of the main storyline that is truly boring, aiding Jim Masterson to round up three prisoners post-prison break that occurred during the attacks in Fort McMurtry, it's where the quests that are centered around the prison break comes in, starting with "Flown the Coop" & ending with "The Ringleader", & to my perspective, they're strongly side quest material, even the XP rewards are more suited to them being side quests. Totally boring!

My thoughts on this, they don't have any relations to what was to be expected from main storyline quests, engaging plot elements that heavily relate to the situation with Captain Blood, facing against Captian Blood's trusted undead enforcers that terrorize the Haunted Skyway, no new lands & a Skyway vortex that signifies to be main story quest material, & doesn't even bring up the history of how that Skyway was Pecos Skyway before Captain Blood turned it into the Haunted Skyway, which would occur shortly at the time he cheated Death in their game of cards. Heck, there's not even a Puppet Show that showcases Haunted Skyway's past history. The way that part of the main storyline is, it's almost like reliving the old "Three Rats" quests all over again! Almost.

Now, my thoughts about improving that part in the storyline, I highly suggest that should be replaced with a brand-new questline that truly relates to what I mentioned & takes their place, complete with richer lore, more value, a better storyline, improved pacing, the addition of implementing new islands & zones that displays their deteriorated abandoned state once Captain Blood terrorized that Skyway, new enemies & bosses that are additions to Captain Blood's undead army roster, a better picture of Haunted Skyway's state from Captain Blood's all-out attacks, & a new Vortex with an instance of it's own to close out that part of the storyline before doing that quest, "Secret Hideaway", like how it was done with the Skull Island Expansion quests, even throw in a new Puppet Show that showcases the history of how Pecos Skyway became Haunted Skyway. I'm interested in learning more about that.

Pirates, we all know many of Cool Ranch's adventures are a breeze now, but I ask you this, would you like to see the Fort McMurtry quests in that part of the storyline receive an overhaul, like how they did with the Skull Island Expansion update?

What do you think? I really hope you can consider this, please. Thanks for listening again!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oh, I almost forgot one little request to add in, have the prison break quests in Fort McMurtry re-formatted into side quests to separate that from the main storyline quests' states. I would appreciate that if the whole prison break crisis storyline with Jim Masterson would be remade into side quests instead of main storyline quests.

Once again, my thanks!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Well, to me, the prison break quests in Fort McMurtry don't really fit in with the main storyline, feels like we were pulled away from it, & it's not immersive with it & Captain Blood's ghost army raiding the Haunted Skyway, too, not to mention it completely lacks the history of it being Pecos Skyway before it became the Haunted Skyway we see today. I would think they would suit better to be side quests instead of main story quests.

They're just small tasks of running around, bringing escaped prisoners back to the Fort, one who was really easy to catch, the other a boss, & the last one is a recurring boss, Captain Foote, that we have defeated before in a side quest in Junction's Lower Arroyo Grande, & Corporal Sanders, who we also meet in another side quest from the Hidden Valley Ranch instance.

Plus, there's very little interest & backstory about Captain Foote, for we only know right now that was a model officer until the War Between the Flocks ended, & that "something in him couldn't handle losing and he went bad.", as quoted from Lt. Jim. My own spin on that something from him is that he had a severe war injury that cost him not only his job as a model officer, but he also failed his people in a nasty battle, & the result, he turned into a crazy villain causing trouble in many of Cool Ranch's lands & renounced his ways.

That said, that needs to be done, as well as creating whole new quests that completely fits with all that I said to take their place as main story quests, complete with some new lands, new enemies, bosses, to be more immersive with Captain Blood's rampage & confirmation of his return & his desire for taking El Dorado's riches reignited since being out of his grave by Armada troops, under Deacon's orders, & to have new Puppet Show about the history behind Pecos Skyway.

It's to make that part of Cool Ranch in the main storyline reinvigorated & spark interest again.

Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
theres a TINY flaw with what you want: muskateers and privateers would have TO DO the side quests to get jim masteraon( i dont like him that much) and the chicken ranger. And they DID have something to do with captain blood and haunted skyway. I just forgot what that was LOL.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
pirate crusher on Nov 9, 2015 wrote:
theres a TINY flaw with what you want: muskateers and privateers would have TO DO the side quests to get jim masteraon( i dont like him that much) and the chicken ranger. And they DID have something to do with captain blood and haunted skyway. I just forgot what that was LOL.
All Captain Foote did just to get his retribution for being locked up in the prison was our defeat, which he doesn't deserve. And, the attack on Fort Mcmurtry from Captain Blood's fleet caused a prison break, & he seized that moment from his regained freedom on his own from his cell just to get what he wants, vengeance against us Pirates, & his restitution, even through kidnapping Corporal Sanders through surprise, just as he was about to have him caught & imprisoned again shortly after his escape, & hauled him away to the Hang 'Em Jail to sweeten the deal with the officials at the fort, absolute control over it. All he did was receive another thrashing & we rescue Sanders from Foote's captivity for ransom against the Fort.

The changes to them being side quests, Musketeers will still get Corporal Sanders & Privateers will still recruit Jim Masterson, so it's not really a flaw at all. They will still recruit them while others will still purchase them via the Crowns Shop.

Besides, they serve no major roles to the main storyline. They only serve to be a suitable role on the side quests' storyline, that's likely supposed to be a follow-up to our first victory of Captain Foote, & his capture & transport to Fort McMurtry, & helping Corporal Sanders back to health after he received severe injuries from being attacked by numerous bandits at the Hidden Valley Ranch.

Honestly, they have no connections with El Dorado, the Armada's Grand Design plan, & the many events taking place in later Books after Book 10. I feel it's better that way, once they're turned into side quests, & maybe gain a new badge for completing them, too.

Plus, my thoughts would really help to reinvigorate our adventures in the Haunted Skyway during the main storyline & improve the flow on it without being pulled away from it. That, & these quests are just too plain easy & short to really call themselves main story quests.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Well, I'll be honest, Pirates, the prison break quests with Jim would've served far better as their own chain of side quests, instead of being main storyline quests, 'cause, in my perspective, they're just not that engaging & exciting, anyway. I would likely prefer to see new, refined quests to take their place as main storyline quests that reinvigorates the fraction of Book 10's storyline, like how they did with Book 1's quests from the Skull Island Expansion quests back in May 2014.

& Perhaps, that way, they would be more suited to being proper side quest material, as well as earning a new badge for completing these quests.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Trimond297 on Oct 31, 2015 wrote:
All right, Pirates. You know that we head to Fort McMurtry in Book 10, where Captain Blood's hideout is, yes? We head there to find Sabatini, the rat that led the mutiny against Captain Blood & stole his key to his treasure, & instead, we find Colonel Church & end up aiding him fend off Captain Blood's ghost ship fleet while they re-build their defenses during "Blasted Desperadoes!", & we did.

Now, here comes this. Blind Mew, I hope you have time to read this feedback & story-related post, if you're around...

Once we did so, there was this part of the main storyline that is truly boring, aiding Jim Masterson to round up three prisoners post-prison break that occurred during the attacks in Fort McMurtry, it's where the quests that are centered around the prison break comes in, starting with "Flown the Coop" & ending with "The Ringleader", & to my perspective, they're strongly side quest material, even the XP rewards are more suited to them being side quests. Totally boring!

My thoughts on this, they don't have any relations to what was to be expected from main storyline quests, engaging plot elements that heavily relate to the situation with Captain Blood, facing against Captian Blood's trusted undead enforcers that terrorize the Haunted Skyway, no new lands & a Skyway vortex that signifies to be main story quest material, & doesn't even bring up the history of how that Skyway was Pecos Skyway before Captain Blood turned it into the Haunted Skyway, which would occur shortly at the time he cheated Death in their game of cards. Heck, there's not even a Puppet Show that showcases Haunted Skyway's past history. The way that part of the main storyline is, it's almost like reliving the old "Three Rats" quests all over again! Almost.

Now, my thoughts about improving that part in the storyline, I highly suggest that should be replaced with a brand-new questline that truly relates to what I mentioned & takes their place, complete with richer lore, more value, a better storyline, improved pacing, the addition of implementing new islands & zones that displays their deteriorated abandoned state once Captain Blood terrorized that Skyway, new enemies & bosses that are additions to Captain Blood's undead army roster, a better picture of Haunted Skyway's state from Captain Blood's all-out attacks, & a new Vortex with an instance of it's own to close out that part of the storyline before doing that quest, "Secret Hideaway", like how it was done with the Skull Island Expansion quests, even throw in a new Puppet Show that showcases the history of how Pecos Skyway became Haunted Skyway. I'm interested in learning more about that.

Pirates, we all know many of Cool Ranch's adventures are a breeze now, but I ask you this, would you like to see the Fort McMurtry quests in that part of the storyline receive an overhaul, like how they did with the Skull Island Expansion update?

What do you think? I really hope you can consider this, please. Thanks for listening again!
I'd rather have new content, since in a few months it'll been three years, lol.
I actually like this idea though, makes a lot of sense, I've never thought about it because I'm not a storyline person.
I think if they want him to go bad after an injury, they should make him after Stonewall Jackson (A Civil war General Hero, who died due to an injury, but This is just a game so I don't think historians are going to care) He is shot and injured by his own soldiers, (Corp Sanders) and wants revenge on him, so he kidnaps him like that.
probably not going to be a great idea on my own part but they should consider yours.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
witchdoctor of awe... on Feb 2, 2016 wrote:
I'd rather have new content, since in a few months it'll been three years, lol.
I actually like this idea though, makes a lot of sense, I've never thought about it because I'm not a storyline person.
I think if they want him to go bad after an injury, they should make him after Stonewall Jackson (A Civil war General Hero, who died due to an injury, but This is just a game so I don't think historians are going to care) He is shot and injured by his own soldiers, (Corp Sanders) and wants revenge on him, so he kidnaps him like that.
probably not going to be a great idea on my own part but they should consider yours.
I guess there could be some references to Stonewall Jackson placed in, and it does make sense for Corporal Sanders to injure Captain Foote severely, though, while he survived through it, I would think that he would do it by accident on the day they were on the battlefield before the War Between the Flocks ended, & didn't know it until Foote took Sanders prisoner in the Hang 'Em up Jail.

I guess Foote's hatred against Sanders, that got forged immediately near the War's end, should be what started his criminal crime spree career in Cool Ranch.

Well, other than that, what you suggested could definitely suit well. I think KI should definitely go with the Stonewall Jackson references you brought up. Good idea.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I like the idea but you stated that we are helping fort McMurtry and that's by not letting criminals run loose, maybe we could only get 1 or 2 prisoners instead of 3 and the rest can be for side quests

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
witchdoctor daruis on Feb 5, 2016 wrote:
I like the idea but you stated that we are helping fort McMurtry and that's by not letting criminals run loose, maybe we could only get 1 or 2 prisoners instead of 3 and the rest can be for side quests
While I thank you for the compliment, I don't think what you suggested would work that way. These quests kinda reminds us about the previous days in W101, where there were a bit too many times we've had to go back & forth to advance the story in most of it's main quests there. Believe me, I had to endure a lotta that in KH.

Honestly, the escaped prisoners are just minor nuisances, & besides the one that's very easy to catch, they're far better off being in side quests. I would rather not be dragged away from the main story to do some random tasks.

The new way of helping Fort McMurtry, in my suggestion to have new main story quests in there to take their place, would be to battle & defeat Captain Blood's trusted enforcers that are searching the Skyway for Sabatini & tearing up every inch of it to find him, even by trying to destroy the Fort & all the citizens & soldiers in it.

Haunted Skyway should be more exciting, better-paced & lore-packed than it should be, like in most main story quests.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Almost forgot one other thing...

In order for the prison break quests with Jim to become a separate side questline of it's own, I think there should be two requirements in order to do them.

The quest with Jim that begins that questline, "Flown the Coop", should be unlocked if any Pirate completes two particular side quests, "Ready for Duty", & "Justice, My Foote!". Those are those two requirements I spoke about.

I remember KI reformatting "Love's Locket Lost" into a side quest of it's own in the Skull Island Expansion update, so there's no reason not for KI to reformat that questline into a side questline of it's own, & have it become a follow-up to those mentioned side quests, too.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
In my perspective, the current questline in Fort McMurtry, between "Blasted Desperadoes" & "Secret Hideaway" doesn't feel like it meets the standards of most major quests' storylines that have coherence with the events, lore, & the pictures of life in the Spiral's worlds in the it's piratical side o' things.

The current questline, consisting of "Flown the Coop", "The Fugitive", "Bull on the Run", & "The Ringleader", all should be better off being a side questline, & the major story questline should also have a new original storyline that coheres with the events related to Captain Blood terrorizing the Skyway, the lore behind Pecos Skyway becoming Haunted Skyway, a few new lands in the Haunted Skyway, & some more variety of Blood's undead army.

Once the next story updates goes out, we'll talk about that.