Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

[Guide] Black Annie Rackham Guide

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Many players have been stumped by Black Annie Rackham, the obsidian version of Bonnie Anne, with some even calling for a (in my opinion, premature) nerf. This guide explains the major mechanics of the fight and lays out a strategy that players can use to conquer Black Annie.

https://finalbastion.com/pirate101-guides/p101-boss-guides/pirate101-black-annie-rackham-guide/

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Oct 3, 2019 wrote:
Many players have been stumped by Black Annie Rackham, the obsidian version of Bonnie Anne, with some even calling for a (in my opinion, premature) nerf. This guide explains the major mechanics of the fight and lays out a strategy that players can use to conquer Black Annie.

https://finalbastion.com/pirate101-guides/p101-boss-guides/pirate101-black-annie-rackham-guide/
Your strategy seems more gear and ( pack & bundle ) companion focused, not everyone has all those heals and forts.
Face it, she is too high leveled, too much health & does too much damage for even the "best" pirates ( let alone the average player ) to face. And that includes her minions. She and Blightbeard need a nerf.

I'm passing on all these obsidian bosses, looks like the "hard core " players have won and theres nothing for the rest of us to do.
I have soloed Kane & ( nearly ) soloed the Arena - those dungeons meet my level and skill and I didn't need Blood Flames or Ice Wave boots. ( Or bundle companions. )

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, Matthew - helpful. We actually beat her on our first (and so far only) attempt. But it was not pretty! ALl companions were down, as was one of the four heroes (the only musketeer). She was finally stabbed to death by swashies backed by a privateer's support.

The main takeaway for me from that one fight was something you emphasize: on the first turn, RUN AND SCATTER!

-Indigo

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Thanks for this guide! I wasn't sure quite how to deal with the bombs, so this guide is really helpful!

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Oct 3, 2019 wrote:
Your strategy seems more gear and ( pack & bundle ) companion focused, not everyone has all those heals and forts.
Face it, she is too high leveled, too much health & does too much damage for even the "best" pirates ( let alone the average player ) to face. And that includes her minions. She and Blightbeard need a nerf.

I'm passing on all these obsidian bosses, looks like the "hard core " players have won and theres nothing for the rest of us to do.
I have soloed Kane & ( nearly ) soloed the Arena - those dungeons meet my level and skill and I didn't need Blood Flames or Ice Wave boots. ( Or bundle companions. )
Oh, come on, Anecorbie, have you even given them a try? I think the challenge is part of the fun! Go for a round or two, take the tactical ideas into battle (Without all the hard-to-get things), and then give an answer. Enjoy the challenge, rather then loathing it. Then give us your answer.

Community Leader

Blightbeard definitely doesn't need a nerf, he's an absolute joke. Use stat buffs, use scratch buffs, go to town. It's the exact same recipe as any other fight we've had in this game.

For Annie, yes, you need protection to beat this boss without having to waste a bunch of time fleeing and porting back. Heals, as I stated, come from the bazaar. Picking up a single fort or absorb from a Cool Ranch, Mooshu, or Aquila boss shouldn't be an unreasonable ask for an endgame player that wants to beat an optional boss with optimal efficiency.

As for companions, I don't get why you think this guide at all requires bundle or pack companions to follow. If we're talking about anti-musket units, the Magnificent 7, Quick Draw 3 Bonnie Anne or Chantal, Emmett, and Louis le Bisque all have at least one "musket counter" talent available and are free to play for one or more classes. Furthermore, everyone is ideally bringing Scratch (to buff any witch, privy, musket pirates you have), which leaves 1 companion slot open for every player save for the first player, who has 2 more slots. Every class has at least one unit that can either be an anti-musket unit or be a generally good beatstick (e.g. Contessa). Yes, strong bundle and pack companions make this fight easier, as they do with many fights in this game. That being said, lacking them doesn't prevent a coordinated team from going in and winning with ease.

You're correct that 4 random players with no coordination or communication walking onto the sigil have no shot at beating Annie without each player fleeing and porting back multiple times. I think this is a good thing. The storyline and much of the already existing side content provides fights that can be beaten without coordination. Like with many other games, having challenging, optional content that requires players to develop a strategy ahead of time is a great thing. Personally, I'd like to see more of it.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Developer

Genuinely curious-- what was your response to the Nefarious Five when they came out, and did you ever beat them?

(By the way, I think bundle companions are overrated, and Blood Flames needs a nerf! I may have to cap its effective level at about 35...)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Well, I had a look through the guide - thanks, Matthew - before teaming up with some random pirates at the door. I, a witchdoctor, joined a musketeer, a privateer, and I believe a buccaneer. We used a lot of doubloons for heals and summons, but we mostly survived the bombs and cleared out the Mutts first, then advanced on the foxes. I don't know that any of us had the best gear, although someone did try the Blood Flames. Having lots of summoned creatures definitely helped clear bombs, along with our pets, and I think it was after the second time our privateer was defeated, I hired a privateer henchman, before he returned again, and we all four of us were there at the end. I believe most of the companions were not.

We did get group plunder, which was disappointing as it contained an Aquila musketeer helmet with the doubloons, not Level 70 gear which I was hoping for. The shoes dropped by the Mutts were Level 50 from Marleybone.

If a casual player like me can do this battle with random pirates and one henchman, it doesn't need a nerf.

Thanks, Ratbeard, et al -- it wasn't as bad as the KI Live attempt made it look.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:
Blightbeard definitely doesn't need a nerf, he's an absolute joke. Use stat buffs, use scratch buffs, go to town. It's the exact same recipe as any other fight we've had in this game.

For Annie, yes, you need protection to beat this boss without having to waste a bunch of time fleeing and porting back. Heals, as I stated, come from the bazaar. Picking up a single fort or absorb from a Cool Ranch, Mooshu, or Aquila boss shouldn't be an unreasonable ask for an endgame player that wants to beat an optional boss with optimal efficiency.

As for companions, I don't get why you think this guide at all requires bundle or pack companions to follow. If we're talking about anti-musket units, the Magnificent 7, Quick Draw 3 Bonnie Anne or Chantal, Emmett, and Louis le Bisque all have at least one "musket counter" talent available and are free to play for one or more classes. Furthermore, everyone is ideally bringing Scratch (to buff any witch, privy, musket pirates you have), which leaves 1 companion slot open for every player save for the first player, who has 2 more slots. Every class has at least one unit that can either be an anti-musket unit or be a generally good beatstick (e.g. Contessa). Yes, strong bundle and pack companions make this fight easier, as they do with many fights in this game. That being said, lacking them doesn't prevent a coordinated team from going in and winning with ease.

You're correct that 4 random players with no coordination or communication walking onto the sigil have no shot at beating Annie without each player fleeing and porting back multiple times. I think this is a good thing. The storyline and much of the already existing side content provides fights that can be beaten without coordination. Like with many other games, having challenging, optional content that requires players to develop a strategy ahead of time is a great thing. Personally, I'd like to see more of it.
I've made a separate post stating why I believe a nerf is needed; if you wish to continue the discussion there, I'd welcome your opinion.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Someone I was playing with had a newfangled idea for taking down Anne. Does anyone remember that trick involving Doom Mojo and Friar Sand's Unyielding Hirigana? He was suggesting using that, super-powered with boosts and Black Fog, to take down everything at once!

Did it work? Not that time, he got defeated by a Mutt Fetcher, and we spent the rest of the battle scrambling to take them all down normally. But I can see great value in this tactic if it can be pulled off! (At the cost of any companions that aren't next to the Scratch's Captain...)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ratbeard on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:
Genuinely curious-- what was your response to the Nefarious Five when they came out, and did you ever beat them?

(By the way, I think bundle companions are overrated, and Blood Flames needs a nerf! I may have to cap its effective level at about 35...)
It was hard, but we ( the team ) managed, first try, too. Not to say we didn't lose a few companions or a captain didn't go bobble-head... * sigh * I see the point you're trying to make, but if making super hard dungeons is KI ( not your ) idea of gaining numbers or encouraging crowns purchases, I think ye've missed the boat!
* ship icon *
Yet more nefarious thinking from our favorite dev? That will annoy some players...I can hear the wailing now

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Oct 5, 2019 wrote:
Someone I was playing with had a newfangled idea for taking down Anne. Does anyone remember that trick involving Doom Mojo and Friar Sand's Unyielding Hirigana? He was suggesting using that, super-powered with boosts and Black Fog, to take down everything at once!

Did it work? Not that time, he got defeated by a Mutt Fetcher, and we spent the rest of the battle scrambling to take them all down normally. But I can see great value in this tactic if it can be pulled off! (At the cost of any companions that aren't next to the Scratch's Captain...)
A bit of a Phyric victory, I think. If that's the only way to take them out, then you just proved my point.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:
A bit of a Phyric victory, I think. If that's the only way to take them out, then you just proved my point.
It would prove your point... IF that were the only way to win the fight. The general rules for winning the fight are: kill the Foxes quickly, don't attack the dogs melee, expect some of your crew to die, and have a Privateer Pirate on your team to heal you. (Did you have one when you were running? Because a lack of a Privateer significantly influences the battle.)

It's difficult, but it is very much possible. The strategy I mentioned is NOT the only way. Enjoy the difficulty.

On the other hand, if you have an idea for winning the battle, then feel free to tell us! I'd welcome multiple opinions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Oct 8, 2019 wrote:
It would prove your point... IF that were the only way to win the fight. The general rules for winning the fight are: kill the Foxes quickly, don't attack the dogs melee, expect some of your crew to die, and have a Privateer Pirate on your team to heal you. (Did you have one when you were running? Because a lack of a Privateer significantly influences the battle.)

It's difficult, but it is very much possible. The strategy I mentioned is NOT the only way. Enjoy the difficulty.

On the other hand, if you have an idea for winning the battle, then feel free to tell us! I'd welcome multiple opinions.
I've been thinking about re-equipping my Staff of Power ( swash version ) from Moo Manchu, despite the low damage, it grants a team "no heal" curse. Doesn't poison but prevents healing for 5 rounds.
Any good?
Still disappointed about this, farming isn't my idea of an "exciting" time, would MUCH rather be crafting, gardening, even fishing.
We have enough stupid dungeons, give us something to DO!

Petty Officer
Oct 31, 2012
Two Privateers and its a cake walk!

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Oct 9, 2019 wrote:
I've been thinking about re-equipping my Staff of Power ( swash version ) from Moo Manchu, despite the low damage, it grants a team "no heal" curse. Doesn't poison but prevents healing for 5 rounds.
Any good?
Still disappointed about this, farming isn't my idea of an "exciting" time, would MUCH rather be crafting, gardening, even fishing.
We have enough stupid dungeons, give us something to DO!
I wouldn't say that I'd have this over a good side activity... but it'll do while I wait for one!

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Ratbeard on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:

YES, Blood Flames needs a serious nerf. So does Old Scratch's Mojo powers.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Noooooo! I love Blood Flames! They're so shiny.

We are 7 and 0 against her now. But we often do feel the need to hire a mercenary privateer to help. If any of the healing doubloons that I have stacked in my 1st - 4th slots would ever show up, probably wouldn't need the privateer. But in 7 fights, I think maybe one Health doubloon showed up.

Would love to see some better kit drops, but bottom line is we fighting her to recruit her.

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Hey, have you guys noticed that there always seems to be one of the doggos who wants to do nothing but run around hitting the pets? What's up with that guy?

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Correction: we have lost one fight. I was forgetting the Yellow Chain Massacre (see under Bilge Pump).

-Indigo

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Indigo Ring on Oct 17, 2019 wrote:
Hey, have you guys noticed that there always seems to be one of the doggos who wants to do nothing but run around hitting the pets? What's up with that guy?

-Indigo
In my opinion, it's more like the pets hitting the dogs, resulting in a riposte chain onto our crew... Seriously, the minions actually ruin the fight here! Don't use them!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Nope, there is pretty consistently one doggie who runs past all the captains and their crews to KILL THAT SKARAKEET. And then that wraith! And then that evil hedgehog!!!

That guy has issues. I mean issues besides he follows an evil fox around.

The pets for my two captains are all about Grants, Grants, Grants. They rarely hit a doggo, but that's not their job.

-Indigo

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Indigo Ring on Oct 20, 2019 wrote:
Nope, there is pretty consistently one doggie who runs past all the captains and their crews to KILL THAT SKARAKEET. And then that wraith! And then that evil hedgehog!!!

That guy has issues. I mean issues besides he follows an evil fox around.

The pets for my two captains are all about Grants, Grants, Grants. They rarely hit a doggo, but that's not their job.

-Indigo
Honestly, the dogs are the worst part for me. I finally soloed all of them enough to get both obsidian bosses as companions. BUT, Black Annie is easily the hardest. Those dogs have seemingly unlimited walking range. So while you stagger away from them, they just sprint after you anyway. Simply put, you're not outrunning them.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Lookit Light on Oct 18, 2019 wrote:
In my opinion, it's more like the pets hitting the dogs, resulting in a riposte chain onto our crew... Seriously, the minions actually ruin the fight here! Don't use them!
Minions sometimes don't. You just have to get the right pets for the right job.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Lookit Light on Oct 8, 2019 wrote:

I'd argue that you should kill the dogs. But only if you can't get to the other side quick enough. Think of it this way, they will have more dodge than everyone on your team, so if you don't deal with them they can get some nasty riposte chains that can lead to a lot of your companions going down from one of them. I would suggest dealing with them first.