Question about Pet Equipment

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
I have been having LOTS of fun in the test realm. Thanks for all that hard work. Everything looks beautiful.
I have done one practice fight with a regular max pet and he got thoroughly toasted so I am assuming that the training is vital. I have been training a hatched pet and have him to level 15. What is the equip for? I do not know what to do with it. The tutorial mentioned it but not how to use it. I asked a few players and they did not know either.
Any council would be very appreciated.

Developer
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
I have been having LOTS of fun in the test realm. Thanks for all that hard work. Everything looks beautiful.
I have done one practice fight with a regular max pet and he got thoroughly toasted so I am assuming that the training is vital. I have been training a hatched pet and have him to level 15. What is the equip for? I do not know what to do with it. The tutorial mentioned it but not how to use it. I asked a few players and they did not know either.
Any council would be very appreciated.
When you choose training activities, each of them requires different equipment to kick off.

Your low level training activities will generate the equipment that you need when you move into the higher level activities.

And if you train in a balanced way, you should have more than enough.

Or, you can do what I do, and raise a couple of pets at a time. One or two of the other pets helps to generate a variety of gear for the main pet you're working on.

The pet arena is another good place to get gear, especially once you unlock 4 pets. Just do the training fights against Decius Duelmaster and he will make sure it's a fair fight.

Ensign
Feb 03, 2010
21
The equipment is used in order to do more training. In order to obtain equipment you must complete other trainings, for example Planking gives the Walking Plank.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Ratbeard on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
When you choose training activities, each of them requires different equipment to kick off.

Your low level training activities will generate the equipment that you need when you move into the higher level activities.

And if you train in a balanced way, you should have more than enough.

Or, you can do what I do, and raise a couple of pets at a time. One or two of the other pets helps to generate a variety of gear for the main pet you're working on.

The pet arena is another good place to get gear, especially once you unlock 4 pets. Just do the training fights against Decius Duelmaster and he will make sure it's a fair fight.
Thank you for the wonderful answers Ratbeard. It's always helpful when you chime in. Still a bit confused though. I understand about getting the gear but how do you use it?

Ensign
Feb 03, 2010
21
It's automatic, when you open your Pets tab and send them out to train there is a section of the screen which shows both the items required and gained once you finish that task. There will be a lock on the action when you are selecting them if you do not have either not enough energy, your pet isn't the required level, or you do not have the required gear in order to do that task. When you send your pet on the task it automatically removes that piece of pet gear from your inventory.

Also, I noticed that in your backpack there is a new tab called Cards which has both Pet Snacks and Pet Gear. I forgot the hotkey but I believe it is something along the lines of W.

Developer
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
Thank you for the wonderful answers Ratbeard. It's always helpful when you chime in. Still a bit confused though. I understand about getting the gear but how do you use it?
Think of it as a cost or pre-req for starting the activity.

If you have the item, you can start the activity. We'll automatically deduct the cost from your supplies and your pet starts the task.

If you don't have what you need, the activity will lock. You can hover over the lock to find out what you're missing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Ratbeard on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
Think of it as a cost or pre-req for starting the activity.

If you have the item, you can start the activity. We'll automatically deduct the cost from your supplies and your pet starts the task.

If you don't have what you need, the activity will lock. You can hover over the lock to find out what you're missing.
Thank you. That explains a lot.

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
So the pet equipment gets used up when you do the activity that requires that item? Or is it, once that pet has that item for a particular activity, it keeps it? I know I had more than one item of the same kind. Can any pet access the equipment for pets? I was wondering if it all goes into the same equipment bag (metaphorically, because I don't know where they keep it), or is any swapping of pet gear is needed?

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
222
Oh. At first I thought that pets will be able to wear hats, boots, sweaters, or eye patches. I started to look, but then I sort of got it. But, when Itzen Kaan finished his pet wrangling duty, a boot came out. I thought it was for a pet.

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
I think I saw a boot emblem too, when I had one crewman only on the pet assignment. I thought I'd assigned him to the wrong task.

Ensign
Nov 18, 2009
4
Calamity Finch on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
So the pet equipment gets used up when you do the activity that requires that item? Or is it, once that pet has that item for a particular activity, it keeps it? I know I had more than one item of the same kind. Can any pet access the equipment for pets? I was wondering if it all goes into the same equipment bag (metaphorically, because I don't know where they keep it), or is any swapping of pet gear is needed?
Pet equipment - or Pet Gear - gets used up, from what I've seen.

You can see your Pet Gear the same place as the Pet Snacks:

Go into your inventory/backpack, click the blue arrow in the upper right to scroll through the different parts of your backpack and you'll get to My Cards (?!!?). Anyway, the Pet Snacks (i.e. "crackers" ) are selected by default. Instead, click on the red shoes icon right below the My Cards label and you'l see all the Pet Gear you have, as well as how many of each.

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
It might be nice to have a better icon to designate pet equipment, perhaps a barbell crossed with a walking plank. A shoe or boot doesn't make as much sense, given that our pirates get shoes also.