Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pet Wrangling changes - strange pattern emerging

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
So, I've noticed, since the change to pet wrangling, that my lower level companions -- those in the level 8-13 range -- will only return with snacks every other time I collect from them. If I collect in the morning, I will get all pet gear and no snacks. When I log in several hours later, I will get four or five of one snack (Watermolen) and then three or four of another (Coconutella). My higher level companions will return various mixes of gear and snacks on each collection turn.

I have not received a single egg from pet wrangling since the Grizzly pack release and change to pet wrangling. Has anyone received an egg from wrangling recently?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Willowydream on Sep 20, 2014 wrote:
So, I've noticed, since the change to pet wrangling, that my lower level companions -- those in the level 8-13 range -- will only return with snacks every other time I collect from them. If I collect in the morning, I will get all pet gear and no snacks. When I log in several hours later, I will get four or five of one snack (Watermolen) and then three or four of another (Coconutella). My higher level companions will return various mixes of gear and snacks on each collection turn.

I have not received a single egg from pet wrangling since the Grizzly pack release and change to pet wrangling. Has anyone received an egg from wrangling recently?
I haven't received an egg since test went live. Just my luck I guess.

Ensign
Mar 15, 2013
well have had two eggs since the change but that is all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

No, but my Wranglin' egg rate has always been low ( still haven't received a Violet Bubble fish, alas! )

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
Yes I did last week I got 2 of them a ice scarab and a silver buffaloon . Not on the same pirate or the same day though. But it did make me hopeful for more

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
When an egg or pet can be sold for over a thousand gold, I am not surprised that low level pirates can't get eggs.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Well, I've been getting more high leveled snacks, but I've only gotten ONE egg before the update and that was an ebon spectre.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
I have also noticed the feast or famine trend on whether you get a snack from pet wrangling. Very noticable on lower level pirates who have fewer companions. And when it is feast it tends to be the same snack though that might be from having a small pool of possible snacks with the lower level pirate's companions.

I agree it seems like companions are finding fewer eggs now too. *pulls out notes and mumbles let me see* Musketeer's companion Dead Mike found a tawny sky turtle on 9/7, swashbuckler's Nurse Quinn found a silver buffaloon today (9/20), witchdoctor's Mormo found a minotaur on 9/13. So they are still finding them just seems less often.

Admiral
May 30, 2010

Yes, I seem to recall someone getting a silver buffaloon recently (yesterday or the day before). I hadn't noticed the pattern in wrangling -- I'll need to watch that.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Well, wouldn't you know that I did actually get an egg this morning on my lowest level pirate. It was a Silver Buffaloon. He got no pet snacks at all, just gear and that egg. Glad to hear that it was just a short hiatus on the eggs, and that others were still getting them.

Next collection, should get a bunch of snacks if this pattern holds.

I also think that I will stop training my pet wrangling companions on the rest of my pirates when they are still in the 50's level-wise. They still have workable return times at that point and come back with decent level snacks. Sending more than a few Level 65 companions pet wrangling is a bust anymore. Luckily they can be traded via the shared bank.

:)

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 20, 2014 wrote:
No, but my Wranglin' egg rate has always been low ( still haven't received a Violet Bubble fish, alas! )
I got one from Ratbeard at some point,and I'm pretty proud of that achievment!

Also,back in the test realm(the one in May when the advanced pet sytem was new) I had an Inky Octopus,and I really wish I could get him back(especially with a name like Old Shadow).I trained that pet from level 1 to level 54 in one day!(there's a lot you can do with test realm crowns.On the most recent test realm,I went on a gifting spree)

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
I have not received an egg since test went live as well where as I was averaging 1 a week prior to the update. Although I had more companions wrangling at that time. 13 days for pet wrangling is just silly. I set all of them in test to pet wrangling and the last ones were over 2 weeks to complete a task)

There is no tasks short enough between my log out at night and my log in in the mornings to send my regularly used max level companions on. If I wanted to do a tower run in the morning I'd have to cancel their tasks anyway.

I'm maxed on sailing, maxed on gold now most of the time (thank you MMT), those companions are maxed on EXP, keel hauling and scavenging take a day at a minimum, and now my go to task pet wrangling has so many others on it (because they can't do the others) that my main crew is looking at a 2-3 day minimum to complete a task.

~Clumsy Calamity

Ensign
Aug 07, 2013
Hello,
May as well put in my 2 cents worth on this update. Since the update the time for companions to return is well um NUTS! after sent out 5th companion I am looking at over 18 hours and well if I keep going will end up at 14 days for most. Then after a long period of time I get the same low level gear that I had seen before.
And what really has me upset is I have never seen a level 7 snack returned ever now, I am not just talking about me. So it seems this update that was to improve what are companions returned with was not that at all. It was a down grade for us so it takes longer and get less for training and leveling are pets...

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
gpa101 on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
Hello,
May as well put in my 2 cents worth on this update. Since the update the time for companions to return is well um NUTS! after sent out 5th companion I am looking at over 18 hours and well if I keep going will end up at 14 days for most. Then after a long period of time I get the same low level gear that I had seen before.
And what really has me upset is I have never seen a level 7 snack returned ever now, I am not just talking about me. So it seems this update that was to improve what are companions returned with was not that at all. It was a down grade for us so it takes longer and get less for training and leveling are pets...
Hello gpa101 and welcome to the message boards! Just wanted to welcome you and am quoting for that purpose and also to get the extra 1000 characters for my post, which is primarily about the whole 'post update snack situation'.

I kind of think that a lot of this (Snacks/Gear/Wranglin') relates to KI trying to find a balance between accommodating players wishes and creating profit to keep the game going and progressing towards future content and worlds. Before the updates we were getting in lots of decent snacks from quick collecting from Pet Wranglin' and bosses were occasionally dropping snacks in that Level 4-7 range as well. Many of the players voiced great displeasure at not getting good snacks (higher level) from bosses and/or getting too many snacks from the bosses as opposed to gear drops-- all while getting fast, pretty good snack returns from companions collecting from Pet Wranglin'.

Now, since the updates, many players are voicing displeasure at no higher ranked snacks coming from Wranglin' as well as longer collecting times and not nearly as much snacks being dropped from bosses. It seems that we had it pretty good before the updates and we didn't even know it or truly appreciate it.

There were and still are the cheap 115 Crown Snack Packs that could and can be bought that provide up to, and including level 7 snacks, bosses were dropping a wide range of snacks and companions were bringing in decent snacks and pet gear at a nice pace. Yep, we had it pretty good. By doing the free KI trivia we could and still can purchase up to 6 Snack Packs a week if we wish to do so...that's 42 snacks a week for free. Before the updates I would imagine that there weren't as many Snack Packs being purchased, because we were seeing lots of decent Snacks come in from super fast (compared to now) task collecting and bosses.

But because of the voiced displeasure and KI accommodating player wishes in regards to other ways to avoid spending Crowns, things had to change. We wanted access to better, higher level gear without spending Crowns-- they gave it to us in the Bazaar (with Powers) and in the Tower. We wanted shorter dungeons to assist with quicker and more frequent farming attempts-- they shortened many farming instances. In both cases there becomes less need for players to use Crowns to gain access to decent gear and boss gear.

Because of the pre-tower update complaints about Snacks and by KI helping us spend less Crowns on better gear and on other game aspects, they possibly had to find ways to replace that lost 'crown revenue'. So now we have more of a need to purchase Snack Packs, thus helping do just that. I would have much preferred that the boss dropped and Wranglin' provided snacks stayed the way it was before the updates, but there was a lot of displeasure and KI made necessary changes. Guess we just didn't realize how good we had it before.

Ensign
Aug 07, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
Hello gpa101 and welcome to the message boards! Just wanted to welcome you and am quoting for that purpose and also to get the extra 1000 characters for my post, which is primarily about the whole 'post update snack situation'.

I kind of think that a lot of this (Snacks/Gear/Wranglin') relates to KI trying to find a balance between accommodating players wishes and creating profit to keep the game going and progressing towards future content and worlds. Before the updates we were getting in lots of decent snacks from quick collecting from Pet Wranglin' and bosses were occasionally dropping snacks in that Level 4-7 range as well. Many of the players voiced great displeasure at not getting good snacks (higher level) from bosses and/or getting too many snacks from the bosses as opposed to gear drops-- all while getting fast, pretty good snack returns from companions collecting from Pet Wranglin'.

Now, since the updates, many players are voicing displeasure at no higher ranked snacks coming from Wranglin' as well as longer collecting times and not nearly as much snacks being dropped from bosses. It seems that we had it pretty good before the updates and we didn't even know it or truly appreciate it.

There were and still are the cheap 115 Crown Snack Packs that could and can be bought that provide up to, and including level 7 snacks, bosses were dropping a wide range of snacks and companions were bringing in decent snacks and pet gear at a nice pace. Yep, we had it pretty good. By doing the free KI trivia we could and still can purchase up to 6 Snack Packs a week if we wish to do so...that's 42 snacks a week for free. Before the updates I would imagine that there weren't as many Snack Packs being purchased, because we were seeing lots of decent Snacks come in from super fast (compared to now) task collecting and bosses.

But because of the voiced displeasure and KI accommodating player wishes in regards to other ways to avoid spending Crowns, things had to change. We wanted access to better, higher level gear without spending Crowns-- they gave it to us in the Bazaar (with Powers) and in the Tower. We wanted shorter dungeons to assist with quicker and more frequent farming attempts-- they shortened many farming instances. In both cases there becomes less need for players to use Crowns to gain access to decent gear and boss gear.

Because of the pre-tower update complaints about Snacks and by KI helping us spend less Crowns on better gear and on other game aspects, they possibly had to find ways to replace that lost 'crown revenue'. So now we have more of a need to purchase Snack Packs, thus helping do just that. I would have much preferred that the boss dropped and Wranglin' provided snacks stayed the way it was before the updates, but there was a lot of displeasure and KI made necessary changes. Guess we just didn't realize how good we had it before.
Hello,
Ty for such a informative response. And YES you never relies how good it was till it is gone
Not much into Trivia but may start to do so can make up for all the lost snacks now. Again thank you
for the answers and I hope we see some balance to this problem.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
I've never gotten a Pet Wranglin' egg. Period.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
gpa101 on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
Hello,
Ty for such a informative response. And YES you never relies how good it was till it is gone
Not much into Trivia but may start to do so can make up for all the lost snacks now. Again thank you
for the answers and I hope we see some balance to this problem.
Oh, you're quite welcome gpa101! I am actually going to give the KI Trivia a try myself....all thanks to the Snack Blockade. Hey, maybe that's actually why there's less mid-level Snacks-- the Armada has issued a trade embargo on all incoming critter care items....blockades everywhere! Or Mr. Moo Manchu has gobbled them up to feed all his nefarious moonions in the Towah..... lol- sorry, had to laugh at that- "mo, onions".

I think that the whole Snack thing may possibly get tweaked a time or two by KI, until a good balance is met. But I will say that the harder-to-come-by, mid-level snacks have forced me to concentrate more on a select few pets at a time, instead of just feeding a few pages worth of critters at a time. Less snacks means, wiser usage of them and I have been able to focus and my 'better potential' pets instead of dishing out treats without really noticing all the results as much. This has forced me to pay closer attention to a few 'chosen' pets, as they grow.

And using the 100 crowns from the trivia can almost get you a Snack Pack a day where you may get lucky and get a Rank 5,6 or 7 snack. I've gotten three Rank 6's from the packs before and two 7's on several occasions, but have also gotten only 3's and 4's as well.

But yes, I sure do really miss the old days of companions just showering us with Snacks and Gear every time we logged in. Now it is more fruitful to decrease the number of them out on Pet Wranglin' so you get a quicker collecting return-- 4 or 5 will just about do the work of 10-15. Especially if you take any 'less desirable' Privateer companions and reset them with Pet Wrangler (Rank 2). This will allow for 15% faster return/collect times from the Privateer class specializing in the Wranglin' talent. Unfortunately there's not that many storyline Privateer companions, at least not for my Buccaneer. Here's a post that shows what each class can specialize in and the benefits from it.

Now that I think about it, maybe part of the reason for the big change in the Pet Wranglin' Task time, may have to do with the Tower. The longer task times encourages us to put fewer companions on the tasks, thus freeing up more companions to be available for Tower runs. For many players, the Tower doesn't come easy and lots of companions are left on bed rest, so more companions are needed to complete the tower. Maybe the longer task times were a way to free up more companions or face waiting out the longer return times. Instead of having to manually go in and take companions off tasks (if the Tower was chewing them up and spitting them out), the longer times kind of does it for us-- if we choose not to wait longer. Or perhaps just a way to encourage us to be more diverse and get more companions into the mix.

All I know is, I gotta find some more mid to high level snacks.......I hear some beastly bellies a rumblin'.

Developer
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:

The fact of the matter is that for the Pets milestone we wanted to make snacks abundant, and it was always our intent (Decius and I) to dial it back in our next patch window.

1) First, we needed some kind of companion activity with a very low time investment, so that even players who were capped, with capped companions, could get a pretty quick turnaround on tasks. The Pet Wranglin' task was the obvious candidate, and it was set to a fixed timer (as opposed to varying with companion level).

2) Second, we also wanted to "flood" the environment with snacks, so that all players (and particularly our long-standing players) would have access to lots of snacks-- low level players to train in general, and high level players so that they could train up their Pet Power when their pets converted over to L65.

The timer for the Pet Wranglin' task is now in line with the way that all of the other activities work: It takes longer as the companion level increases, but the rewards are better for high level companions than they are for low level companions.

The timers get longer the more companions you assign to the same task. If you have the luxury to do so (and I understand from reading above, some of you don't) then you should spread your companions out more equitably across several different tasks instead of piling pages and pages of companions onto the same task.

As we continually add more side systems to the game (e.g. crafting, PvP, thissupersecretthingIamworkingonright now, etc.) we will always look for new ways to tie the companion tasks into those systems, so that there are more and more cool things to do with your companions and you won't be stuck with them all doing the same thing (unless you want to).

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Ratbeard on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
The fact of the matter is that for the Pets milestone we wanted to make snacks abundant, and it was always our intent (Decius and I) to dial it back in our next patch window.

1) First, we needed some kind of companion activity with a very low time investment, so that even players who were capped, with capped companions, could get a pretty quick turnaround on tasks. The Pet Wranglin' task was the obvious candidate, and it was set to a fixed timer (as opposed to varying with companion level).

2) Second, we also wanted to "flood" the environment with snacks, so that all players (and particularly our long-standing players) would have access to lots of snacks-- low level players to train in general, and high level players so that they could train up their Pet Power when their pets converted over to L65.

The timer for the Pet Wranglin' task is now in line with the way that all of the other activities work: It takes longer as the companion level increases, but the rewards are better for high level companions than they are for low level companions.

The timers get longer the more companions you assign to the same task. If you have the luxury to do so (and I understand from reading above, some of you don't) then you should spread your companions out more equitably across several different tasks instead of piling pages and pages of companions onto the same task.

As we continually add more side systems to the game (e.g. crafting, PvP, thissupersecretthingIamworkingonright now, etc.) we will always look for new ways to tie the companion tasks into those systems, so that there are more and more cool things to do with your companions and you won't be stuck with them all doing the same thing (unless you want to).
Thanks for replying, Ratbeard!

The design thought process sounds pretty logical thanks to your summary. I still wonder about why the "all gear" then "gear/snack1, gear/snack2" pattern seems to hold true for the lowest level of pet wrangling. If I'm playing on a Level 11 pirate, I know that I will not get any snacks from the first collection of the morning. (see my OP.)

Be that as it may, I am definitely looking forward to the crafting aspect (my favorite activity over on Wizard101) and even more the "thissupersecretthingIamworkingonright now" -- my birthday is the middle of October, hint, hint!

Developer
Willowydream on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for replying, Ratbeard!

The design thought process sounds pretty logical thanks to your summary. I still wonder about why the "all gear" then "gear/snack1, gear/snack2" pattern seems to hold true for the lowest level of pet wrangling. If I'm playing on a Level 11 pirate, I know that I will not get any snacks from the first collection of the morning. (see my OP.)

Be that as it may, I am definitely looking forward to the crafting aspect (my favorite activity over on Wizard101) and even more the "thissupersecretthingIamworkingonright now" -- my birthday is the middle of October, hint, hint!
There's definitely nothing special about "the first collection of the morning."

That would take some very special code to make that happen-- and I assure you it's not there.

Pure-- sometimes horrible-- random luck.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

"ThissupersecretthingIamworkingonrightnow" *Orders more veritiserum & plans to make some "Special" homemade cookies to ship to Ratbeard*

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Thank you for the great info Ratbeard, you never fail to deliver the goods.....seems my probing worked! I knew that if I gave enough off-track answers, then we might actually get to hear the correct one(s) from someone that actually can provide proper insight.

And I actually heeded your advice before you even gave it in your post. Just this morning I reduced my number of companions out Pet Wranglin' from about 16 to 5. I made sure that the only 5 assigned were all Privateers and I reset them all with the talent Pet Wrangler 2, and now I have 5 max level companions coming back within about 14 hours of the first one heading out on assignment-- that's 15% faster thanks to the training. The first one takes 7 hours and the others follow in nearly 2 hour increments. It's nice because once that first companion returns I get gear and/or snacks every 2 hours and there's a few spots were 3 return within a 3 hour window. Also now there's hardly ever any more than 2 or 3 hours between Wrangled goods coming in.

And I can't wait for the crafting and "thissupersecretthingIamworkingonrightnow" (do you work for the government too?) to provide more things for companions to do as far as tasks go. Right now there's only 3 real options for my companions to carry out tasks in: Scavengin', Plunderin' and Pet Wranglin'. And with close to 60 companions (maybe more since I was lucky enough to get all 6 Grizzly companions-- and all 5 Aztecosaur companions), I could sure use some more diversity in the task department. Since they are all level 65 or higher and I already have 158 training points/tomes stocked up, they can't engage in Keel Haulin'. Nautical level is maxed, so they can't do any Cannoneerin' and I don't bother with the Brawlin' since I have plenty of highly trained, powerful companions waiting to take the place of any that fall in battle. Unless I find more time for the Tower, I don't expect to lose any in battle, even in Aquila, unless I take on a glitchy Hydra for some real adventure-- so Brawlin' isn't really necessary.....yet-- as I imagine you have even more nefariousness up your sleeve in future content.

That leaves the 3 tasks that I mentioned, but even with specializing, the amount of time for returns escalates rather quickly, so I assign about 6-8 on Plunderin' (all Swashbucklers with Looting 3, maybe 1 oddball class thrown in there), about 10-12 on Scavengin' (Witchdoctors with Scavenger 3 and a few Musketeers/Buccaneers as well) and now only 5 Privateers with Pet Wrangler 2 on that task. Guess the rest of the crew will just have to play in battle for now.

Oh man I am sooooooo STOKED!!!, I sure can't wait for the crafting and whatever else lies ahead! I know just the right crewmembers that are looking for jobs to do.

Thanks again for the great info!

Developer
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 1, 2014 wrote:
Thank you for the great info Ratbeard, you never fail to deliver the goods.....seems my probing worked! I knew that if I gave enough off-track answers, then we might actually get to hear the correct one(s) from someone that actually can provide proper insight.

And I actually heeded your advice before you even gave it in your post. Just this morning I reduced my number of companions out Pet Wranglin' from about 16 to 5. I made sure that the only 5 assigned were all Privateers and I reset them all with the talent Pet Wrangler 2, and now I have 5 max level companions coming back within about 14 hours of the first one heading out on assignment-- that's 15% faster thanks to the training. The first one takes 7 hours and the others follow in nearly 2 hour increments. It's nice because once that first companion returns I get gear and/or snacks every 2 hours and there's a few spots were 3 return within a 3 hour window. Also now there's hardly ever any more than 2 or 3 hours between Wrangled goods coming in.

And I can't wait for the crafting and "thissupersecretthingIamworkingonrightnow" (do you work for the government too?) to provide more things for companions to do as far as tasks go. Right now there's only 3 real options for my companions to carry out tasks in: Scavengin', Plunderin' and Pet Wranglin'. And with close to 60 companions (maybe more since I was lucky enough to get all 6 Grizzly companions-- and all 5 Aztecosaur companions), I could sure use some more diversity in the task department. Since they are all level 65 or higher and I already have 158 training points/tomes stocked up, they can't engage in Keel Haulin'. Nautical level is maxed, so they can't do any Cannoneerin' and I don't bother with the Brawlin' since I have plenty of highly trained, powerful companions waiting to take the place of any that fall in battle. Unless I find more time for the Tower, I don't expect to lose any in battle, even in Aquila, unless I take on a glitchy Hydra for some real adventure-- so Brawlin' isn't really necessary.....yet-- as I imagine you have even more nefariousness up your sleeve in future content.

That leaves the 3 tasks that I mentioned, but even with specializing, the amount of time for returns escalates rather quickly, so I assign about 6-8 on Plunderin' (all Swashbucklers with Looting 3, maybe 1 oddball class thrown in there), about 10-12 on Scavengin' (Witchdoctors with Scavenger 3 and a few Musketeers/Buccaneers as well) and now only 5 Privateers with Pet Wrangler 2 on that task. Guess the rest of the crew will just have to play in battle for now.

Oh man I am sooooooo STOKED!!!, I sure can't wait for the crafting and whatever else lies ahead! I know just the right crewmembers that are looking for jobs to do.

Thanks again for the great info!
So you're a capped player and all of your companions are capped and your nautical XP is capped and so on and... now what?

Hooray! Welcome to MMO development.

We're working hard to implement the next Now What (and the next after that, and after that, and after that...)

Obviously, I can't tell you about thissupersecretthingIamworkingonrightnow but I can tell you that it has me way more excited than I was even for the Tower.

Just sitting here thinking about how to describe its awesomeness makes my brain freeze up and go argleblarglegaaaaaaagh.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 1, 2014 wrote:
So you're a capped player and all of your companions are capped and your nautical XP is capped and so on and... now what?

We're working hard to implement the next Now What (and the next after that, and after that, and after that...)

Obviously, I can't tell you about thissupersecretthingIamworkingonrightnow but I can tell you that it has me way more excited than I was even for the Tower.

Just sitting here thinking about how to describe its awesomeness makes my brain freeze up and go argleblarglegaaaaaaagh.
"thissupersecretthingIamworkingonrightnow...Just sitting here thinking about how to describe its awesomeness makes my brain freeze up and go argleblarglegaaaaaaagh."

Chrissy, I'll help make those "special homemade cookies" you mentioned earlier. Ratbeard, do you prefer chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin? Or...mmmm...white chocolate chip cranberry macadamia nut?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 1, 2014 wrote:

"Argleblarglegaaaaaaagh" Ya know, I actually could pronounce that, well sort of in an onomatopoetic sort of way .