Hybrid theories

2
AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 10, 2012
4
It would be so nice to know how many Hybrids are possible at this point.
That way we have (a little) extra encouragement to continue the search.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5765
It is frustrating. But the surprise of getting that 'special' egg wipes out the frustration. *Laughing* I can't believe I've become such a fan of trying to morph a hybrid! Before, I was simply content to train my pets the best I could to their optimal form. But one Emusaur changed that! Now all 6 of pirates have one and I believe the longest it took to get one was 7 tries, yet I hear that people are still trying and it's taking them longer! I hope everyone trying for this extremely cute pet gets one soon!
I've been noticing a few pets in the arena I would like to have, also. There's that really strange one that look like a combo between a dino and a jackalope ( I've decided to call it a Stagosaur ). There's the hedgehog and in the tent the lizard and a cat ( being owned by a cat in RL I really want one in game.)

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
Iphito on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
It would be so nice to know how many Hybrids are possible at this point.
That way we have (a little) extra encouragement to continue the search.
But then it would be too easy. Personally, I just want to get a Grimtooth! Who wouldn't want an awesome undead shark pet?

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
302
Decius recently gave us another possible principle regarding Hybrid pet parentage:

One half of a combo can only be obtained if your companions bring you a special egg.

This certainly applies to one undiscovered hybrid pet, but could it apply to all of them? If so, this explains why Gortez and the Rat Pack stopped dropping Orchid Chameleons since the update. Has anyone received a confirmed OC drop from battle this summer?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
Well, my quest for the Grimtooth Reaper shark is over. I have two now, and got the first on my very first try for it! I received the other one when helping another Pirate hatch a Grimtooth. First try on that one as well. Now I am leveling up my pets as fast as possible in hopes of discovering a new hybrid. I'm currently working on my Violet Bubblefish and Quackosaurus. The Quackosaurus is still a hatchling, and the Bubblefish is a baby as of right now. Thinking over Decius' hint, and the posts that came after, I would try out these theories:

Violet Bubblefish x Quackosaurus
Violet Bubblefish x Scrimshaw Drake
Violet Bubblefish x Imperial Lion
Violet Bubblefish x NSGWS or Thresher Shark or Stormtiger Shark
Violet Bubblefish x Inky Octopus or Blue Ringed Octopus (Is it Octopus or Walktopus? I don't have one so I don't know!)
Imperial Lion x NSGWS or Thresher Shark or Stormtiger Shark
DinoLizard x NSGWS or Thresher Shark or Stormtiger Shark
DinoLizard x Quackosaurus
White-Tailed Jackalope x Quackosaurus

Oh, and Decius if you could give us a yes/no/maybe/hint to this question:

Can a pet that already makes a hybrid create a hybrid with a different pet?

To put what I'm asking into a formula:

A, B, and C are 'parent pets'. D and E are two different hybrid pets.

So we know A+B=D. But could A (or B)+C=E?

Say I have a Sabretoothed Bunny. We know it creates a hybrid with the Thresher Shark, the Tiger Shark. Can a Sabretoothed Bunny create a new hybrid with another, different pet?

If this question has been asked before, and you've already answered it, sorry to bother you!

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
163
So misty and I were looking through bestia for hybrids. We might have found one! When you first enter bestia and walk forward till you see the girl and lady playing with a pet. That pet could perhaps be a white tailed jackal mixed with that pink armadillo? Let me know what you guys think on this!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ChrisTheSwashy on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
So misty and I were looking through bestia for hybrids. We might have found one! When you first enter bestia and walk forward till you see the girl and lady playing with a pet. That pet could perhaps be a white tailed jackal mixed with that pink armadillo? Let me know what you guys think on this!
Man I have lost track of how many times I have tried that combo. But that is not necessarily a sign that it isn't a good recipe, just odds not in my fava.

Ensign
May 25, 2012
35
I'd like to see if a Not So Great White Shark and a Minotaur would yield a bull shark.

Also, an even dozen tries on a Golden Stingtail and a Celestial Lion yielding a manticore failed, but I'm still hopeful on seeing on eventually.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
Canny Matthew Toll... on Aug 10, 2014 wrote:
I'd like to see if a Not So Great White Shark and a Minotaur would yield a bull shark.

Also, an even dozen tries on a Golden Stingtail and a Celestial Lion yielding a manticore failed, but I'm still hopeful on seeing on eventually.
I would try a Deathstalker Scorpion instead of a Golden Stingtail a few times. You never know, maybe it'll work! A Manticore pet sounds fantastic, I hope we'll eventually find that pet if it exists.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
Well, this is weird. In an attempt to improve upon my Grimtooth Reaper, I morphed it with a Mechanical Owl.....and I got an EBON SPECTRE. It's weird and completely out of place lol.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
warriorscreed on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
Well, this is weird. In an attempt to improve upon my Grimtooth Reaper, I morphed it with a Mechanical Owl.....and I got an EBON SPECTRE. It's weird and completely out of place lol.
I thought Grimtooth Reapers can't pass on. As in, morphing with a Grimtooth and another pet won't result in another Grimtooth. But I honestly have no idea. Sometimes if you morph a hybrid with another pet you get the parent of the hybrid. That's how I got my Ebon Spectre and my Thresher Shark.

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
warriorscreed on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
Well, this is weird. In an attempt to improve upon my Grimtooth Reaper, I morphed it with a Mechanical Owl.....and I got an EBON SPECTRE. It's weird and completely out of place lol.
Not really. The ebon spectre is the grandparent (if you will) of the offspring of your proposed cross. Think of it as certain traits (such as blue eyes) skipping a generation and reappearing in the F2 generation after being masked in the F1 generation. Your reaper was your F1, the offspring of a spectre and a shark. The DNA is still in there from the grandparents, so it could potentially be expressed in the grandchildren. (Even if your grimtooth actually came from a cross between a grimtooth and something else.)

Aaand, I'll stop the biology lecture now. You get the idea.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
warriorscreed on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
Well, this is weird. In an attempt to improve upon my Grimtooth Reaper, I morphed it with a Mechanical Owl.....and I got an EBON SPECTRE. It's weird and completely out of place lol.
Some hybrids cannot reproduce themselves. If you try you will get either the other parent or a grandparent.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
Some hybrids cannot reproduce themselves. If you try you will get either the other parent or a grandparent.
Well, thanks for the clarification to all 3 of you. The Ebon Spectre I got had only 186 pedigree, making it the weakest pet I have ever gotten lol.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
warriorscreed on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
Well, thanks for the clarification to all 3 of you. The Ebon Spectre I got had only 186 pedigree, making it the weakest pet I have ever gotten lol.
Wow... that's lower than any pet I've seen. My highest is 313. I wonder, does pedigree have anything to do with hybrid chance? Probably not, but I just had to ask.

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
warriorscreed on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
Well, thanks for the clarification to all 3 of you. The Ebon Spectre I got had only 186 pedigree, making it the weakest pet I have ever gotten lol.
But IIRC, the spectres sell for decent gold, regardless of how cruddy or good the DNA is.

MistyDragon13 on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Well, my quest for the Grimtooth Reaper shark is over. I have two now, and got the first on my very first try for it! I received the other one when helping another Pirate hatch a Grimtooth. First try on that one as well. Now I am leveling up my pets as fast as possible in hopes of discovering a new hybrid. I'm currently working on my Violet Bubblefish and Quackosaurus. The Quackosaurus is still a hatchling, and the Bubblefish is a baby as of right now. Thinking over Decius' hint, and the posts that came after, I would try out these theories:

Violet Bubblefish x Quackosaurus
Violet Bubblefish x Scrimshaw Drake
Violet Bubblefish x Imperial Lion
Violet Bubblefish x NSGWS or Thresher Shark or Stormtiger Shark
Violet Bubblefish x Inky Octopus or Blue Ringed Octopus (Is it Octopus or Walktopus? I don't have one so I don't know!)
Imperial Lion x NSGWS or Thresher Shark or Stormtiger Shark
DinoLizard x NSGWS or Thresher Shark or Stormtiger Shark
DinoLizard x Quackosaurus
White-Tailed Jackalope x Quackosaurus

Oh, and Decius if you could give us a yes/no/maybe/hint to this question:

Can a pet that already makes a hybrid create a hybrid with a different pet?

To put what I'm asking into a formula:

A, B, and C are 'parent pets'. D and E are two different hybrid pets.

So we know A+B=D. But could A (or B)+C=E?

Say I have a Sabretoothed Bunny. We know it creates a hybrid with the Thresher Shark, the Tiger Shark. Can a Sabretoothed Bunny create a new hybrid with another, different pet?

If this question has been asked before, and you've already answered it, sorry to bother you!
That is a possibility.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Decius Duelmaster on Aug 18, 2014 wrote:
That is a possibility.
Hello Decius!

I was wondering if you gave us a bit of a hint a little while back. In one of your posts from this thread you stated "sadly you are barking up the wrong tree for that cat".

Like possibly the Imperial Lion pet and a tree nestling critter may be a combo for a possible Hybrid -- even the cat? I say the Imperial Lion, because I believe that it is referred to as a foo dog in W101-- though I might be wrong about the name since I don't play W101.

So was this a possible hint or am I in fact......."barking up the wrong tree"?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 18, 2014 wrote:
Hello Decius!

I was wondering if you gave us a bit of a hint a little while back. In one of your posts from this thread you stated "sadly you are barking up the wrong tree for that cat".

Like possibly the Imperial Lion pet and a tree nestling critter may be a combo for a possible Hybrid -- even the cat? I say the Imperial Lion, because I believe that it is referred to as a foo dog in W101-- though I might be wrong about the name since I don't play W101.

So was this a possible hint or am I in fact......."barking up the wrong tree"?
Yup you got it right, He is a Foo Dog on the other side of the Spiral Comes in many great colors but none of them have cool glowy eyes like WE do

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
Yup you got it right, He is a Foo Dog on the other side of the Spiral Comes in many great colors but none of them have cool glowy eyes like WE do
That's Foobulous, thank you! Now I am going to give that dog and a chameleon a shot and see if I can't stumble over a cat!....or possibly something else!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5765
I've been wondering a lot! That fringed lizard and cat: what if an inky octopus and lion will make the cat? My inky is still a teen so I'm not ready to try that combo. I'm still trying the skysnake + dinolizard combo for the fringed lizard. no luck so far.
Decius, would it be' telling' to at least give us the names of these interesting hybrids?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Well, on Central Cret92 or Merciless Morgrim posted that when he went into the Morphing Tent in Test Realm, the animations for three unknown pets began to load in the upper left corner -- as they do when new files are updated to your computer, when you encounter something new in the game. The three pets that he took screenshots of their animations loading were: an Iguana, a Heck Kitty and Black Tiger. So, perhaps some of these morphing and pet mysteries will be soon solved once Test goes Live......that is with new mysteries sure to be filling their shoes.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
I am going to give the Celestial Dragon a try with the Tropical Sky Snake. I was thinking something like a Dragonfang pet. There's the MooShu items such as the Dragonfang's Jingasa/Kabuto (Hats) and the Dragonfang Kote (Outfit), so I thought it may be possible to have a Dragonfang pet.....why not?

2