More information about the upcoming update

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Trimond297 on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
So... I get that we're going to have much of what's coming to the game, but... there's some questions I have to ask you. If you've got time, please answer me these questions, One-Eyed Jack.

1. If we're going to have a new group of Companions in the next update, will these Companions be like the other groups of 5 that speak in the main storyline and have many dialogue lines in them as part of this, or will they be like the other Companions that speak very little dialogue lines? Also, would they have promotion quests like the other Companions, too, or will they want to be paid in gold just for promotions? If they do have promotion quests, then I'm up for it. If they only want gold fro promotions, then I don't mind.

2. Does this mean that we would have to wait a little bit more longer for Book 15? I don't know how close it is to being ready, but I really wish to continue on our main story adventures. I'm really itching to find out how to cripple the Clockwork Armada and their Supreme Commander Kane and seek this Toymaker in Valencia.

3. I've asked you this many times, but I have to say this again, will we be able to let our Companions roam free in our houses, just like our Pets and Mounts? I've been asking for this request many times, and I hope to see our crewmates relax and walk around in our houses. If it's not to be made in the update, then I hope it would be available in the small update after that shortly.

Thanks once again for answering!
1- These new companions are granted by a very very short side quest that involves almost no effort on your part. They promote for gold.

2- Yes and work has already been expended towards the production of Book 15. However, I don't have any particulars concerning when it will be released.

3- The ability to have companions roam free in your house will not be a part of this update. (I think you'll soon find that their time is much better served earning you gold and nautical exp! )

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Administrator
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Just a couple more questions about those Group Plunder Chests.

If there are 3+ pirates in a battle and one of the GPC pops up will it take all of the pirates to open it? If not and it only takes 2 pirates to open it, will the other pirates get the loot- or its it first come first serve, every pirate for him/her self, with some being left out? Or perhaps will the # of locks on a Group chest that appears in battle be determined by the # of pirates in that battle, thus requiring all in battle to open it?

I know I should just wait to see how it works, but curiosity is getting the best of me. Thanks again.
. . . and the more locks on the chest, the better the rewards!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Golden Guardian on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
This is all great and stuff, but nothing could compare to saving an innocent world from the grip of the armada. Nothing could compare to entering a magnificent world, exploring its beauty. Nothing could be better than ending the tyranny of the armada yet again. The spiral needs help! And here I am, a long forgotten hero. Do the eagles remember my tales of glory? Have the unicorns of Sevilla given up hope for a saviour? What evil is going on in the heart of the armada, or scurvy evil nasty dark lords of Darkmoor. New world within next 2 months would be appreciated. 3 months max...

A lesson I have learnt while watching master chef and doing projects: You have 1 hour to make a dish, don't waste time making a super excellent dish that takes 2 hours. Many pirates have reached thier last string of patience.
I know you are impatient Dino and I know it's hard. Cheer up, the wait will be worth it. The genius' at KingsIsle have never let us down yet. I much prefer the wait for an excellent dish than to have a fast food wanna be served up. This game is as wonderful as it is because they really know what they are doing and they have worked their tushies off getting these updates to us. These changes were made to please us not to stall us. Please try to hang in there and give them the time they need. They really are pouring their hearts into the story expansion and only when it is worthy of us, will they serve that delicacy.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
1- These new companions are granted by a very very short side quest that involves almost no effort on your part. They promote for gold.

2- Yes and work has already been expended towards the production of Book 15. However, I don't have any particulars concerning when it will be released.

3- The ability to have companions roam free in your house will not be a part of this update. (I think you'll soon find that their time is much better served earning you gold and nautical exp! )
Ah. Ok. I understand. I had thoughts about that, but that clears it up.

Ok. Well, I hope to see how Book 15 turns out after the update... and how it will be worth the extended wait.

Well, I had thought that it would be part of the Advanced Companions in the lineup, but, I guess not in this update. Still, you never know if our crewmates may need a place to relax after all of the adventuring. Perhaps that could happen some time after the update goes Live?

Thanks for answering, anyway!

One more question... that preview picture of Captain Blood in the Maria Celestia, is it somewhere in Cool Ranch, yes? I don't know where, but it's probably in Cool Ranch... or other. In any case, is that part of the big update too, or after?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
. . . and the more locks on the chest, the better the rewards!
Ooooooh, DOUBLE SWEEEEET! Now I really can't wait to grab some friends and see what goodies we can grab. Thanks Jack!

Ensign
Jul 18, 2010
15
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Not in this upcoming update.
Well, that is a relief. The way everyone was talking, it seemed like it would be another year! I hope that my fellow players can calm down now that these sneak peeks have shown why it's been so long since a major update. There are lot of additions coming!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5734
I have a question about the Eye Patch stitching:
Do eyepatches have their own slot in our equipment? If so, does this mean we'll be able to equip an eyepatch AND a Totem?

Administrator
Trimond297 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Ah. Ok. I understand. I had thoughts about that, but that clears it up.

Ok. Well, I hope to see how Book 15 turns out after the update... and how it will be worth the extended wait.

Well, I had thought that it would be part of the Advanced Companions in the lineup, but, I guess not in this update. Still, you never know if our crewmates may need a place to relax after all of the adventuring. Perhaps that could happen some time after the update goes Live?

Thanks for answering, anyway!

One more question... that preview picture of Captain Blood in the Maria Celestia, is it somewhere in Cool Ranch, yes? I don't know where, but it's probably in Cool Ranch... or other. In any case, is that part of the big update too, or after?
. . . it's not Captain Blood , but you will be finding the Maria Celestia in a new zone in the Skull Island Skyway.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
262
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Hi Jack, great info here. Thank you muchly. I have a quick question though. The new quests, Many, Moe & Jack and the stuff in traitor's Cave, can our higher pirates access these quests too? I have made my six already so I don't have a slot to start over.
I think that would be the general idea if they haven't done them already (i am talking about the one where you look for ratbeard after he takes the will) But in regards to the new quests i think that would be very likely that you could do them even if you were a higher level or you just might need to delete an pirate.

Administrator
Brave Alaric Bella... on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Well, that is a relief. The way everyone was talking, it seemed like it would be another year! I hope that my fellow players can calm down now that these sneak peeks have shown why it's been so long since a major update. There are lot of additions coming!
I've edited my post just to make sure you weren't confused. A new book isn't coming with this update.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Developer
Sorry I missed this before:

If there are 3+ pirates in a battle and one of the GPC pops up will it take all of the pirates to open it? If not and it only takes 2 pirates to open it, will the other pirates get the loot- or its it first come first serve, every pirate for him/her self, with some being left out? Or perhaps will the # of locks on a Group chest that appears in battle be determined by the # of pirates in that battle, thus requiring all in battle to open it?


Group Plunder chests appear in two ways:

In combat

When you get a GPC in combat, we check to see how many players are in combat. We will never drop a chest with more locks than there are players. And no matter how many locks are on the chest, all players in the combat will get the Group Plunder.

Example: A 2-lock GPC appears and there are 4 players in the combat. Players A and B rush over and open the locks. Players ABCD get the plunder.

Hidden Chests in the wide outdoors

Occasionally, you will just stumble across a Group Plunder chest as you are exploring the world. In this case, only the pirates who actually open the locks will get the plunder. These open-world chests are first come, first serve! I recommend that you get some fast friends, whom you can call on a moment's notice to help you open the chest.

Mark and Recall should come in very handy here, right?

Administrator
anecorbie on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
I have a question about the Eye Patch stitching:
Do eyepatches have their own slot in our equipment? If so, does this mean we'll be able to equip an eyepatch AND a Totem?
Yes, they have their own slot. Yes, you'll be able to equip both!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Nov 18, 2012
35
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Yes, they have their own slot. Yes, you'll be able to equip both!
Thanks for answering our many questions Jack, I have one now.

Will glasses come under totem or eye patch? (like the Black Rain Shades)

Administrator
N1ckee on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for answering our many questions Jack, I have one now.

Will glasses come under totem or eye patch? (like the Black Rain Shades)
Yes! It's actually called an "Accessory" slot.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Developer
Trimond297 on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
So... I get that we're going to have much of what's coming to the game, but... there's some questions I have to ask you. If you've got time, please answer me these questions, One-Eyed Jack.

1. If we're going to have a new group of Companions in the next update, will these Companions be like the other groups of 5 that speak in the main storyline and have many dialogue lines in them as part of this, or will they be like the other Companions that speak very little dialogue lines? Also, would they have promotion quests like the other Companions, too, or will they want to be paid in gold just for promotions? If they do have promotion quests, then I'm up for it. If they only want gold fro promotions, then I don't mind.

2. Does this mean that we would have to wait a little bit more longer for Book 15? I don't know how close it is to being ready, but I really wish to continue on our main story adventures. I'm really itching to find out how to cripple the Clockwork Armada and their Supreme Commander Kane and seek this Toymaker in Valencia.

3. I've asked you this many times, but I have to say this again, will we be able to let our Companions roam free in our houses, just like our Pets and Mounts? I've been asking for this request many times, and I hope to see our crewmates relax and walk around in our houses. If it's not to be made in the update, then I hope it would be available in the small update after that shortly.

Thanks once again for answering!
1. Unfortunately, going back and retro-fitting another Companion's worth of dialogue into our 14 existing books just isn't feasible. We'd either have to cut existing lines (which I'm not in favor of, for obvious reasons) or your companions would get even chattier than they are now (and they feel to me like they're pushing the limit as it is). In either case, the labor involved is too excessive for us to carry it off. Same thing for the quests, sadly - a batch of 15 promotion quests, with the added length that second and third promo quests have, is something on the order of a Book's worth of main story.

2. Yes, I'm sorry to say that you will have to wait a bit longer for Book 15. Believe me, nobody wants that book out more than me. It's coming. But, I will also say that if these changes mean that more players get to see Book 15, then the effort we spent on this update is more than worth it. So, let's just get these out of the way: When's book 15 coming? What percentage complete is it? What's it about? Where will it be set? That would be telling, and I don't talk schedule.

3. That's beyond my purview, but I expect that the pet and mount feature will make it much easier to do in the future. There are still some kinks to hammer out (Companions are a little more complicated than Pets and Mounts), but we've definitely taken a step in that direction.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Blind Mew on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
1. Unfortunately, going back and retro-fitting another Companion's worth of dialogue into our 14 existing books just isn't feasible. We'd either have to cut existing lines (which I'm not in favor of, for obvious reasons) or your companions would get even chattier than they are now (and they feel to me like they're pushing the limit as it is). In either case, the labor involved is too excessive for us to carry it off. Same thing for the quests, sadly - a batch of 15 promotion quests, with the added length that second and third promo quests have, is something on the order of a Book's worth of main story.

2. Yes, I'm sorry to say that you will have to wait a bit longer for Book 15. Believe me, nobody wants that book out more than me. It's coming. But, I will also say that if these changes mean that more players get to see Book 15, then the effort we spent on this update is more than worth it. So, let's just get these out of the way: When's book 15 coming? What percentage complete is it? What's it about? Where will it be set? That would be telling, and I don't talk schedule.

3. That's beyond my purview, but I expect that the pet and mount feature will make it much easier to do in the future. There are still some kinks to hammer out (Companions are a little more complicated than Pets and Mounts), but we've definitely taken a step in that direction.
Ok, I get it all, Blind Mew.

I'm not really asking for these new Companions to have much dialogue, just wondering about them, that's all. And I'm sure all that work for them would be too much for you and the rest of the crew to handle and all that. I understand.

Fine. I'll wait a little more for Book 15. I know. I wish the crew plenty luck on Book 15's work!

So, there's still much work for that to be done before that's ready. That's fine. I'll let the crew work out the kinks before we let our Companions in houses.

Thanks, though. One-Eyed Jack may have answered them already, but your answers are quite good, too.

Maybe next time, in a little while after the update goes live, could we get previews on the next Book in panorama views? I liked these, and can't wait to see many more of them after.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
. . . it's not Captain Blood , but you will be finding the Maria Celestia in a new zone in the Skull Island Skyway.
Really? Oh. I thought it would be him, but your answer says otherwise. Very well. Nice to have something new in the Skyways.

Community Leader
I'm wondering about the doubloons, will they be like Treasure Cards where they have a Finite number of uses, or is once collected, forever use?

Visit Adventures of the Spiral today for tips and tricks on how to improve your gameplay. Don't forget to stop by the Companion Database
Community Leader
Woot cannot wait for this update to happen!

Quick question regarding the Doubloons.

OEJ compared them to Treasure Cards in Wizzy, will we be able to trade our doubloons with other pirates (if not in this update, maybe in the future)? The one that we saw in the video said "Get help from Skull Island" I'm guessing that is a summon a random SI npc to help you in battle or they attack the enemy?

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Ensign
Mar 15, 2012
19
I say we make Kingsisle tell us how far they have goten with making book 15.Yar me if you agree.

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
ha! love it! lol! o my gosh that video just made me puke with exitement! i cant wait!

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
So, One-eyed Jack. Will there be a new world coming to Pirate101 in spring?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
dark andrew sharp on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
I say we make Kingsisle tell us how far they have goten with making book 15.Yar me if you agree.
Sorry, lol the geniuses at KingsIsle are masters at keeping secrets and it is for our benefit that they do. There is nothing I would do to try to undermine such integrity.
Although I do sympathise with your impatience, you are just going to have to settle down a bit and enjoy all the secrets they have just revealed to us. We mustn't get ungrateful.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
99
About chapter 15.... if its not coming this update will it come in like a few months or weeks are you almost done dont tell me its a mystery blind mew!

Ensign
Mar 09, 2013
31
jack I have a the new treasure box how many people dose it take to open it