Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Story Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo!

AuthorMessage
Captain
May 02, 2009
Oh, one last question
8) What deems a Skyway, a Skyway?

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
By the way:

1.What are the odds that Monkey King would get a Doppelganger power unique to him?

And...

2.Why didn't we see Billy Sykes in the Oliver Twist side quest?!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
The Undead Obeah on Jul 31, 2013 wrote:
By the way:

1.What are the odds that Monkey King would get a Doppelganger power unique to him?

And...

2.Why didn't we see Billy Sykes in the Oliver Twist side quest?!
#2 I thought we did. Wasn't he the guy we went after first for the hankey? We had to fight him and he told us about the pickpockets lair. Am I remembering that right?

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
#2 I thought we did. Wasn't he the guy we went after first for the hankey? We had to fight him and he told us about the pickpockets lair. Am I remembering that right?
Indeed you are, it's just he was called 'Bill Pikes' instead of Bill Sykes.

Ensign
Oct 11, 2012
Hey Blind Mew, I've been thinking of something.
It's a bit trivial really but I want to see what you think:
Can we consider Kane and his Clockworks as AI's or simply computer programs gone rogue?
I'm talking AI as in science fiction that becomes self aware and surpasses its creators, seeing them as imperfect because when you think about, or at least when I do, that seems like what the Clockworks did. In most stories concerning artificial intelligence you see the robot or computer overthrowing its creator or attempting to find meaning for synthetic life, similar to actual organic life finding meaning through religion for example. Is it possible that Kane is a self aware being attempting to find meaning for his kind?(Wow I sound pretty ridiculous right now). But we've heard hints of something called the "Grand Design" and that sounds like some "what-is-the-meaning-of-life?" questions. So can we really consider Kane and his Court as self aware or simply computer programs on the fritz?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Jul 25, 2013 wrote:
1. There's a lot going on right now - every update, story or not, has stuff for the writers to do - even new systems need some quest/NPC/dialogue support, and usually lots and lots of names. So even after Books 13 and 14 went up, we were pretty busy. Lots of visions to write. I visioned the interactive objects in the class houses, for example, and consulted with art on look and feel for the class houses quite a bit. Work has begun on Book 15 - and the writing staff gets squeezed pretty hard at the start because we have to write the visions for all the characters and environments. To know what we need the plots need to be outlined to a pretty strong degree. Not to mention there are always emergent issues that we help with. So, yeah, we're pretty busy.

2. Oh, he's pretty important all right. His message gives you a huge hint about why Kane would he be worried about.

3. Can't tell you much about schedule - I'm not really in on that process. But I can tell you that we will have more than just story updates, and we at KI need to properly stage our updates with Wizard so we don't both put up massive downloads at once. Book 15 will come out in good time.

4. That's a good idea - it did come up a long time ago, but got overlooked int he general plotting. The Brass Monkey is the closest thing we have to a bumbling adversary, and i can say we haven't seen the last of him. He really wants his two dollars. The old people here will get that joke.

5. Not bad names! Valencia with its fencing masters would definitely be the place to riff on them. We'd be quite remiss to skip such a goldmine of potential references.

6. The name of the Book actually came along long after the chapter content was built! We hadn't thought of it yet. That's not to say such a character couldn't appear in the future...
Blind Mew, Book 14 was amazing! I enjoyed my adventures in Aquila and they were amazing! From the Ophidian Trojan War to the journey to Ithaca for the third El Dorado Map Piece, they were all amazing from start to finish! And, to boot, another Map Piece is in our hands! My compliments to the story writers!

The stone's translation provided at Book 14's end states the Toy Maker knows how to defeat Kane. I'm thinking that another trip back to Valencia to seek the info is in order. Interesting! Can't wait to see what it's about! I'm looking forward to Book 15 now! However, with Deacon and Rooke gone for good and Bishop fleeing back to Valencia, I'm willing to guess that Supreme Commander Kane will be reinforcing the Armada troops, as the next stealthy trip to Valencia will be much more difficult than the first time in Book 4. Even the remaining Clockwork Elites will probably be shocked to hear the news from him. The hints really got me excited. You said that the "vendetta against Kane has entered a new phase" and "the rules are changing", is that correct? I'm hoping that means Kane and the Armada will be more than hard pressed to try and take all of the El Dorado Map Pieces and reach it. Hope I won't have to wait way too long for Book 15 to be ready, like before, because I'm itching to see how it's going turn out!

Once again, thanks for answering!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
1. Yeah, I was figuring Mike/Arson just fell apart. We did bring Old Scratch's limb loss into the quest. Ratbeard kinda got away from us. It just didn't fit the theme of his promo, and I was too in love with the idea of the quest to change it. So forgive me a little hand waving here.

2. In addition to Alexander's conquest, Greece and Egypt shared quite a relationship in ancient times. Most of the names we use for ancient Egyptian cities (Thebes and Heliopolis, for example) are actually the Greek versions of the existing names. Many Greek philosophers said outright that their knowledge was a pale shadow of Egypt's wisdom. As to the Rosetta stone, it implies a close relationship between Aquila and Krokotopia sometime in the ancient past. I expect they were conquered vassals of the Old Empire, which later fell due to the hubris of King Minos.

3. Doing 5 promo quests was simply beyond our bandwidth for this update, so all of the Mag 7 do the same quest with different dialogue. We've done this before - the first promo for the 3 MooShu monks dealing with the Iron Monkey is a shared quest, and the companions who go after the Conundrum Machine also share the same quest, differentiated by their dialogue. It is to save time and other resources - sharing quests means we need fewer enemies, unique places, etc.

As to their quest chatter, yes - every time a MooShu, Presidio, or Kraken Skulls companion speaks, we have to write 5 lines and show only 1.
In retrospect, there's no part in his third promo quest that Ratbeard loses his left hand at all, because I don't see how he lost his left hand during that quest. I know you were in love with that quest idea, but wouldn't Ratbeard have kept his hand after his quest? At least that would omit the much confusion of how Ratbeard received a hook as a replacement in this.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012
I realize you must be extremely busy with the game so I will hold back on the other questions I said and I only have one question for you and hope you can answer it
1) have you ever considered adding Davy Jones to the game as an enemy and making him a more evil threat than the armada I just think it would be really cool to see Davy Jones added since this is pirate101 after all

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Trimond297 on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
In retrospect, there's no part in his third promo quest that Ratbeard loses his left hand at all, because I don't see how he lost his left hand during that quest. I know you were in love with that quest idea, but wouldn't Ratbeard have kept his hand after his quest? At least that would omit the much confusion of how Ratbeard received a hook as a replacement in this.
Here's my idea maybe after the celebration of his promotion he accidently dropped his sword on his hand...cutting it off. and they had to buy a hook

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Trimond297 on Aug 8, 2013 wrote:
Blind Mew, Book 14 was amazing! I enjoyed my adventures in Aquila and they were amazing! From the Ophidian Trojan War to the journey to Ithaca for the third El Dorado Map Piece, they were all amazing from start to finish! And, to boot, another Map Piece is in our hands! My compliments to the story writers!

The stone's translation provided at Book 14's end states the Toy Maker knows how to defeat Kane. I'm thinking that another trip back to Valencia to seek the info is in order. Interesting! Can't wait to see what it's about! I'm looking forward to Book 15 now! However, with Deacon and Rooke gone for good and Bishop fleeing back to Valencia, I'm willing to guess that Supreme Commander Kane will be reinforcing the Armada troops, as the next stealthy trip to Valencia will be much more difficult than the first time in Book 4. Even the remaining Clockwork Elites will probably be shocked to hear the news from him. The hints really got me excited. You said that the "vendetta against Kane has entered a new phase" and "the rules are changing", is that correct? I'm hoping that means Kane and the Armada will be more than hard pressed to try and take all of the El Dorado Map Pieces and reach it. Hope I won't have to wait way too long for Book 15 to be ready, like before, because I'm itching to see how it's going turn out!

Once again, thanks for answering!
I think kane needs to build more armada elites

Ensign
Oct 11, 2009
Is Blind Mew still active in this thread?

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
William DarkFlame on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
Is Blind Mew still active in this thread?
I think he is, he's just hard at work on the next updates and doesn't have time to answer questions.

Speaking of which, perhaps we should temporarily lock it or something until he's ready to answer more or complete answering the questions he's gotten in the past month?

This thread seems to be getting quite unruly with so many questions being asked.

Administrator
Blind Mew has been extremely busy lately and wanted me to pass along that he will be getting to this thread and your questions when time becomes available again. For the time being we're going to sticky this thread and lock it until he is available to us again.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*