Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why so much Fuss about the Hydra?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
People the hydra is not hard it is far from the hardest boss fight I beat it with first try with one other person with no deaths on my max swashbuckler.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The First Swashbuc... on Oct 30, 2015 wrote:
People the hydra is not hard it is far from the hardest boss fight I beat it with first try with one other person with no deaths on my max swashbuckler.
It's not the difficulty of the dungeon players are complaining about, but the strange glitch that makes the Ebon head un-targetable.
I also notice you didn't solo the Hydra, it is a bit more difficult if you do.

Petty Officer
Jun 22, 2014
anecorbie on Oct 30, 2015 wrote:
It's not the difficulty of the dungeon players are complaining about, but the strange glitch that makes the Ebon head un-targetable.
I also notice you didn't solo the Hydra, it is a bit more difficult if you do.
I've never experienced this bug. Also, it is possible to solo (I did, but just barely). But anyway, not once have I seen anyone complain about the Hydra (other than with the bug).

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I just wanted to say that The Hydra was on my list of dungeons ( only 4 ) that I hadn't soloed. I just soloed Hydra and it was still challenging. It defeated 2 of my companions. But I finally managed it, I would never say this instance is easy.
That leaves The Tower of Moo Manchu ( ugh ), Smuggler's Arena ( double ugh ), and The Pirates Regatta ( nope not going to try it ).
If you're curious, I used Bonnie Anne, Itzen Kaan, and Nausica for the Hydra.

Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
I beat the Hydra with my max level swashy, beat it on my first try and didn't lose any companions. Maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't find it all that difficult. I used Subodai, Bonnie Anne, and Fan Flanders.

Clever Sam Jones

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 2, 2015 wrote:
I just wanted to say that The Hydra was on my list of dungeons ( only 4 ) that I hadn't soloed. I just soloed Hydra and it was still challenging. It defeated 2 of my companions. But I finally managed it, I would never say this instance is easy.
That leaves The Tower of Moo Manchu ( ugh ), Smuggler's Arena ( double ugh ), and The Pirates Regatta ( nope not going to try it ).
If you're curious, I used Bonnie Anne, Itzen Kaan, and Nausica for the Hydra.
You can do it!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Clever Sam Jones on Nov 2, 2015 wrote:
I beat the Hydra with my max level swashy, beat it on my first try and didn't lose any companions. Maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't find it all that difficult. I used Subodai, Bonnie Anne, and Fan Flanders.

Clever Sam Jones
Hydra, in my opinion, is easiest to solo by Swashbucklers due to the burst damage they do. It's all about how much damage can be done in one or two attacks against the Ebon head and Swashbucklers do this better than any other class.

On a side note, this glitch still exists. I just did the dungeon again on a different character and teamed up with another player yesterday. The Ebon head was not targetable when it popped up the second time. By the way, using dungeon recall did not clear the glitch, we had to walk completely out of the dungeon and walk back in to get it to work again.

Ensign
Mar 18, 2013
Also when in team up, the glitch can sometimes effect only one player and not the team. I've had this happen multiple times. Also in same glitch, there is no red banner at top to tell you who to attack....so if solo you would be out of luck with no team chat for target.

Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
There is differences about difficulty for class. For example Bucc's and Swash's may have it easier, while some classes will find it more difficult.

Petty Officer
Jul 22, 2014
I thought it was a hard dungeon because even though the little hydras do very little damage, it all adds up if you're against more than 50 of them (which I was). I hated how if you hit the Ebon Hydra with a lot of damage on your first move, it went away. I found that out the hard way.

Petty Officer
Nov 30, 2012
I soloed it with my max musketeer with not much a problem, I just played conservative enough to not let my companions die right away, and eventually pulled through. It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I used Bonnie Anne, El Toro, and I don't know the third, sorry.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I soloed it using Bonnie Anne serpent augur and ratbeard, the two mourn songs were good to deal a lot of damage straight away