Childhood given up for a answer?

2
AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1189
Bloody Belle on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
You write Pirate101 FanFiction..? What are some of your stories? I love reading FanFiction, specially on games like Pirate101 ;)
(Going off topic for just a moment, please pardon me) I enjoy reading the Pirate101 FanFiction too, and mine are the ones that have 'Virtuous Anne Radcliffe' after the title (some are about the idealistic and irrepressible Anne, others are about the more thoughtful Evelyn Lewis; they appear in print in relatively chronological order for each girl). I've never written FanFiction before this, and I have found I really enjoy it... and the stories just keep popping out of my head! Pirate101 is such a fertile ground for imagining your own story, and One-Eyed Jack (the Player Creations moderator, among his other duties) is very pleasant and kind.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
(Going off topic for just a moment, please pardon me) I enjoy reading the Pirate101 FanFiction too, and mine are the ones that have 'Virtuous Anne Radcliffe' after the title (some are about the idealistic and irrepressible Anne, others are about the more thoughtful Evelyn Lewis; they appear in print in relatively chronological order for each girl). I've never written FanFiction before this, and I have found I really enjoy it... and the stories just keep popping out of my head! Pirate101 is such a fertile ground for imagining your own story, and One-Eyed Jack (the Player Creations moderator, among his other duties) is very pleasant and kind.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
I read your stories pretty often, and I love them!

I can't help but wonder why we get ONE answer for five years. -_-

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
273
Disloyal1 on May 6, 2013 wrote:
So it turns out in order to get an answer as to where argos the Cyclops is in aquila, we have to give up the memoires of the first 5 years of our life, which means forgetting about our parents. On Pirate101 central there is a thread called ''Childhood given up for a answer'' by flash33 I don't think that you should forget 5 years of our life I think that we should fight a boss to get the answer instead of forgetting 5 years just for one answer is this going to mess up the storyline? I know are presidio companion will remember some of it...
Spoiler Alert!!

Ensign
Oct 17, 2012
31
Lucas Walker on May 6, 2013 wrote:
I actually like this whole "giving up the memories of the first five years of our life." The PC has done a lot of questionable and just plain wrong things for selfish reasons. While the war in MB was to obtain another map piece and rescue Mustang Sally, along with Napoleguin, like El Toro said: "There must of been a better way."

Bonnie Anne also reminds us how terrible the war we started really was. Countless lives were lost, many beautiful places and homes were destroyed because of us. While Ratbeard always tries to explain how the whole thing was Catbeard's fault, him along with our entire crew and ourselves, know it was just as much our fault as it was Catbeard's.

While we do turn the tide of the war by defeating Rooke, that doesn't change the fact we destroyed nearly an entire realm.

When the PC gives up the memories of the first five years of their life that is how they make amends for what they did. The PC's goal was to find their parents' tomb and avenge them, but the PC also realizes they've done some very stupid and terrible things, that they know was not right. Giving up those five years was a selfless act by the PC, putting what's best for the Spiral before their own personal agendas.

I'd be extremely disappointed if Ki changed that.
i agree with what you said. plus, i think it makes the storyline more dramatic. and again its not like you forgot it in real life p101 is just a game

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 7, 2013 wrote:
I read your stories pretty often, and I love them!

I can't help but wonder why we get ONE answer for five years. -_-
We had 2 CHANCES to go straight to el dorado, the dragon king grants us on wish and the snakes give us one answer, why not ask for the location of El dorado!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
zuto4011a on Jul 23, 2013 wrote:
We had 2 CHANCES to go straight to el dorado, the dragon king grants us on wish and the snakes give us one answer, why not ask for the location of El dorado!
That wouldn't do us any good as the location changes all the time. If they told us the current location it would probably be moved again before we could get there.

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 23, 2013 wrote:
That wouldn't do us any good as the location changes all the time. If they told us the current location it would probably be moved again before we could get there.
we could have asked for kane's weakness and how to get the pieces from the armada, then that problem would be nonexistent

Petty Officer
Jan 01, 2013
94
This is kind of off topic, but I'm still going to put it here. When Dragon King grants us one wish and we had asked to go to El Dorado, that would have made the story much less interesting; maybe El Dorado has some kind of magic so you can only enter though the stormgate. Which leads me to another question, where is the windstone to El Dorado? And why are we searching for El Dorado? I know we might want to see our parents graves, but why don't we just burn our pieces of the map(so Kane can't get them), and go into hiding from the Armada?

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
55
Disloyal1 on May 6, 2013 wrote:
So it turns out in order to get an answer as to where argos the Cyclops is in aquila, we have to give up the memoires of the first 5 years of our life, which means forgetting about our parents. On Pirate101 central there is a thread called ''Childhood given up for a answer'' by flash33 I don't think that you should forget 5 years of our life I think that we should fight a boss to get the answer instead of forgetting 5 years just for one answer is this going to mess up the storyline? I know are presidio companion will remember some of it...
I kind of like how you lose five years of your memories. You might be like but it gives a great plot twist.

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
25
CaptainJack74011 on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
I kind of like how you lose five years of your memories. You might be like but it gives a great plot twist.
I like the idea of losing five years of memories too, because that also gives us(the players) a chance to learn of our character's past(while they will most likely relearn it).

Well, whenever the opportunity arises for KI to let us know what our pirate's life was like before they were captured at the start of the game. Since it's obvious pirates who were raised in Skull Island definitely had a different childhood than a pirate who was raised in Marleybone.

Crafty Kiley Hawkins - Lv. 64

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Lily Evans on Jul 30, 2013 wrote:
This is kind of off topic, but I'm still going to put it here. When Dragon King grants us one wish and we had asked to go to El Dorado, that would have made the story much less interesting; maybe El Dorado has some kind of magic so you can only enter though the stormgate. Which leads me to another question, where is the windstone to El Dorado? And why are we searching for El Dorado? I know we might want to see our parents graves, but why don't we just burn our pieces of the map(so Kane can't get them), and go into hiding from the Armada?
Burn the map pieces and just go into hiding? Sorry a little un-heroish behaviour for my taste. We are pirate heros. It's what we do. x hears El Torroish music x I have always had a little off the Dread Pirate Roberts in me . "Good night young pirate, I'll see you tomorrow, If I don't kill you in your sleep."

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
70
Well, your Presidio guy(in my case Gaspard de Vole)says your parents would want it...but I would never EVER give 5 years to them...there must be another way around.

Swashy Disciplined Fighter
To Davy Jones your memory goes...I guess.
And Scratch... Y does everything have to be an ancient evil?

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
Lucas Walker on May 6, 2013 wrote:
I actually like this whole "giving up the memories of the first five years of our life." The PC has done a lot of questionable and just plain wrong things for selfish reasons. While the war in MB was to obtain another map piece and rescue Mustang Sally, along with Napoleguin, like El Toro said: "There must of been a better way."

Bonnie Anne also reminds us how terrible the war we started really was. Countless lives were lost, many beautiful places and homes were destroyed because of us. While Ratbeard always tries to explain how the whole thing was Catbeard's fault, him along with our entire crew and ourselves, know it was just as much our fault as it was Catbeard's.

While we do turn the tide of the war by defeating Rooke, that doesn't change the fact we destroyed nearly an entire realm.

When the PC gives up the memories of the first five years of their life that is how they make amends for what they did. The PC's goal was to find their parents' tomb and avenge them, but the PC also realizes they've done some very stupid and terrible things, that they know was not right. Giving up those five years was a selfless act by the PC, putting what's best for the Spiral before their own personal agendas.

I'd be extremely disappointed if Ki changed that.
Very well said my friend :)

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
302
Blind Mew on May 9, 2013 wrote:
This is actually a plot point I wrestled with during the writing - I wanted the Mysteries to exact a heavy toll, but I was tired of the standard "trial by combat/go kill my enemy/do a kill and gather for me" task. I hit upon the Mysteries taking the memories and then decided to go with it for a few reasons:

First, it's very mythical - myths and the more primal, un-Disneyfied fairy tales abound with the idea of the Hero sacrificing some part of themselves to proceed on their quest. It's in Campbell's Hero's journey. Usually, the sacrifice is made specifically for knowledge. Odin losing his eye to learn the secrets of the runes in Norse myth is only the first example that leaps to mind. I wanted the Pirate to actually have to give a piece of themselves to the Mysteries. Losing a hand or a hand was beyond our tech capability, and expect would cost us our rating

Second it serves a definite purpose for the narrative. I won't say much more here, but the notion of having the Pirate re-discover certain aspects of your early life (instead of constantly saying "well yeah, I already knew that") will be very useful to me later, not to mention dramatic. AstroStorm is right - this development is going to really frame some later events in a different light.

Flarzedrago9's point is also a good one - a selfless sacrifice definitely fits the Pirate's redemptive arc, but I must admit that wasn't my first thought when I came up with this.

Some points to clarify: what the Mysteries were asking for were the pirate's first five years of memories - start with your first memory ever, then count five years forward from that. Now, this may be when the Pirate learned how to walk or talk, but the Pirate still know how to do those things - they just don't know how they know.

And while we've been unclear about it up to this point, I'm presuming that the Pirate's parents died sometime late in this period, so that all the Pirate's memories of them will be gone. It's a big price to pay. I wanted it to be dark, and scary, and to feel dangerous. The reactions it's evoked tell me that I made a good choice.

Sadly, the alternatives mentioned here and there simply won't work - our tech doesn't support choosing one of multiple ways to satisfy a goal, and even if it did, wouldn't everybody just choose the boss fight? It's not like a boss fight is insurmountable in the long run (and besides, looking at some of the other feedback out there, this update has too many boss fights already ). So, if a choice isn't really a choice, why offer it at all? So yeah, if you want to get to El Dorado you have to do it. Nobody said being a hero is an easy.

This is a plot point on par with the abduction of Mabel and starting the war between Marleybone and Valencia (though not nearly as morally questionable) - grim and kinda dark. But like the war, the will have consequences later - it'd be sloppy of us to never bring this up again.
The first thing I thought of when my gunner came to this dilemma in test realm was, "some villain will pose as the pc's parents or their spirits in El Dorado". Ok, I buy what blind mew just said, but there are only a few ways to use this development well in the story, that i can see. And now that my pirate cannot remember The details about his parents, he is much easier to fool. How do you think they will use the pc's ignorance?

2