Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why isn't Kane a privateer?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
I haven't been in St Fido's for a while but I do believe that Captain Kidd is a musketeer rather than swashbuckler
After all (not sure on this too) but when I take the trivia quizzes choosing musketeer when asked what class Captain Kidd is, will be the correct answer

The only ranged swashbucklers I am aware of are some Wharf Rats who infest skull island, they throw knives and use pistols
Go in again, he's a swashbuckler.

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2012
why does everyone leave out commander typhon? they say typhon was as strong as rooke!

;(

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
Adam Wintersinger on Jul 15, 2016 wrote:
Doctor Noh is also a melee witchdoctor and there are wharf rats that are swashbucklers that are ranged (not sure where)
I do not recall Noh being a melee witchdoctor. Maybe it was changed?

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
I haven't been in St Fido's for a while but I do believe that Captain Kidd is a musketeer rather than swashbuckler
After all (not sure on this too) but when I take the trivia quizzes choosing musketeer when asked what class Captain Kidd is, will be the correct answer

The only ranged swashbucklers I am aware of are some Wharf Rats who infest skull island, they throw knives and use pistols
He is a swashbuckler not a musketeer

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
What do you bet I could find historic examples of insane leaders ( megalomaniacs, if not schizophrenic ) of armies and countries.
Oh, don't even start with the chain of insane roman emperors.

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
turtlemcturtleton on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
why does everyone leave out commander typhon? they say typhon was as strong as rooke!

;(
Lol he was such a let down, all that strong as Rooke baloney, and he dies in two turns to my underleveled questing team.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
Minor spoiler warning if you haven't done book 15 yet before proceeding

So, the last fight of Valencia part 2 involves fighting Kane, the LEADER of the Armada but 1 thing I am surprised about is the fact that he is a buccaneer, here are some reasons he's better fit for a privy.

1. He uses a splashy weapon. Unlike Rooke and the axe wielding Armada Marines, Kane prefers a sword over an axe
2. He is the leader of the Armada, Privys are leaders too
3. His strength is only admired once in Avery's "Armada" puppet show where Avery says that Kane is "... smarter, faster and stronger than any living being." Meanwhile, his intelligence is admired multiple times in the dialogue, especially towards the end.
4. It would make him unique:
In the entirety of Book 15, there isn't a single Privy mob, if Kane was a privy, he would be unique.

Lvl 70
Lvl 46
Lvl 16
True, Adam, I too expected Kane to be a privateer -- after all, he is the Supreme Commander, the leader of the Armada. That is a huge leadership position!

But, thinking about it after finishing Chapter 15, I can see a very good reason why Kane is not of the privateer class. The privateer leader supports her (or his) people. The privateer spends time providing encouragement (playwise - buffs), attention to individual needs (things like healing, or shields); the privateer leader makes her crew shine out, deferring as needed her own skills at combat.

Kane isn't like that. Kane is ultimately selfish. He wants to show how wonderful he is. His Elites form a background (to deal with the lesser threats?) against which his formidable fighting skills are set. He doesn't really care about any of them.

And think about how lucky we are that this is true! Kane the privateer, setting buffs on his Elites, making them stronger, faster, more accurate, resistant to injury! Kane healing them whenever their health grows low! Kane developing his Elites with an eye for their protection: just imagine, say, Deacon, being able to cast bombs to defend himself from melee attacks, and other musketeer defenses! Had Kane acted as a true privateer leader, combat against him and his would have been extraordinarily difficult - perhaps even impossible. Our pirates can be grateful for Kane's true flaw: his overweening arrogance & selfishness.

Interestingly, the one Elite who does act as 'general support', in casting a grand healing spell, is Queen. Does she have more? Hmmm...

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
I've seen important-er arguments on this site with less replies.