Why is the Twin Dilemma Quest is so hard?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 02, 2013
1
I have a question about the quest "The Twin Dilemma" so hard. I've been stuck on this quest for about a month now, and I'm wasting my membership. My ship is weak, and i can't a get bundle or anything, and my friends said it's solo, and they can only help me on the crabs. I hope you can answer this question for me. I'll really appreciate it. Thank you very much!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
pokeplayer987 on May 24, 2014 wrote:
I have a question about the quest "The Twin Dilemma" so hard. I've been stuck on this quest for about a month now, and I'm wasting my membership. My ship is weak, and i can't a get bundle or anything, and my friends said it's solo, and they can only help me on the crabs. I hope you can answer this question for me. I'll really appreciate it. Thank you very much!
Hey Pokeplayer and welcome to the boards!

If that quest is too difficult, I'd suggest getting a better ship and better ship equipment by leveling up your nautical level! The Aquilan Galleon is the best choice for fighting, and if you take severe damage, you can move away from the Scylla's line of fire and regenerate. Other than that, I can't say much else to help! Good luck!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5748
pokeplayer987 on May 24, 2014 wrote:
I have a question about the quest "The Twin Dilemma" so hard. I've been stuck on this quest for about a month now, and I'm wasting my membership. My ship is weak, and i can't a get bundle or anything, and my friends said it's solo, and they can only help me on the crabs. I hope you can answer this question for me. I'll really appreciate it. Thank you very much!
Whay level are you attempting this, and what ship are you using? If it's a Mooshu ship, you haven't got a chance. A Marleybone Galleon can handle it, in fact this is the ship I used. Check out the bazaar for ship equipment, there's good stuff there, you don't need to buy a bundle to buff your ship. Set your cpmpanions to Sailin' and Plunderin' if you beed the extra exp. and gold.
A Tactic to fight Scylla: have your mojo completely filled, use it only when your ship is close to defeat, have your friends get rid of the traps on your ship during battle. Back off and let your ship heal. Then go back on the attack!
You'll be glad to know that once you have defeated Scylla, you won't have to it again ( unless you want to ) a side passage opens up to the right as you sail in. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
324
i have 2 ideas for you: one is to give it the good ole college try, farming gold and nautical levels until you have a ship that can take the pressure. the second is to hitch a ride on a more powerful friend's boat and see if you can still get credit for it if you just take part as a token janitor or a crab fighter. good luck!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5748
Blixet on May 25, 2014 wrote:
i have 2 ideas for you: one is to give it the good ole college try, farming gold and nautical levels until you have a ship that can take the pressure. the second is to hitch a ride on a more powerful friend's boat and see if you can still get credit for it if you just take part as a token janitor or a crab fighter. good luck!
Sorry, Blixet, but hitching a ride on a friend's ship, doesn't count to finishing that quest. I know because I tried to help a friend that way. You have to complete that quest on your own ship.

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
anecorbie on May 25, 2014 wrote:
Whay level are you attempting this, and what ship are you using? If it's a Mooshu ship, you haven't got a chance. A Marleybone Galleon can handle it, in fact this is the ship I used. Check out the bazaar for ship equipment, there's good stuff there, you don't need to buy a bundle to buff your ship. Set your cpmpanions to Sailin' and Plunderin' if you beed the extra exp. and gold.
A Tactic to fight Scylla: have your mojo completely filled, use it only when your ship is close to defeat, have your friends get rid of the traps on your ship during battle. Back off and let your ship heal. Then go back on the attack!
You'll be glad to know that once you have defeated Scylla, you won't have to it again ( unless you want to ) a side passage opens up to the right as you sail in. Good luck, and I hope this helps!
really? because when my friend was helping me with his marleybone ship, the monster blew it to pieces, and it was a galleon.

Developer
I'd also set as many of your companions on Nautical XP tasks as you can spare-- that XP really adds up fast, especially with high level companions (say 50+) out doing the task.

Improving your Nautical level will get you into a better ship with better equipment.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5748
fearless robert sp... on May 29, 2014 wrote:
really? because when my friend was helping me with his marleybone ship, the monster blew it to pieces, and it was a galleon.
Sorry to imply it was easy, it sooo wasn't! However, once I had worked out the above strategy I finally did it! It took me 6 times trying lol ( slow learner ).I also equipped Zeena as my first mate for the battle with the Scylla spawn.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
fearless robert sp... on May 29, 2014 wrote:
really? because when my friend was helping me with his marleybone ship, the monster blew it to pieces, and it was a galleon.
I did it with a Marleybone Galleon and had no problems. I just pulled back if my health got low and healed up and charged right back in there.

Ensign
May 23, 2010
16
Wow. I've farmed the Scylla for nautical XP so often... Unless it's changed recently, it's really easy to win - if you know the trick.

The weakest ship I've farmed it in is a MooShu Galleon. At (I think) Nautical level 48. It was a bit of a grind, but doable.

Here's the secret. As soon as you're in the Passage, head for either side. It doesn't make much difference which side you go, although I prefer to go left. When you get to the cliffs, slow right down. You want to be moving at the slowest speed you can, as close to the cliffs as you can get.

When the heads emerge, target the storm head first (if you're on the left). The fire (I think) if you went right. Creep forward, and drop anchor the instant you get into long range (yellow). You've got maybe a second's traveling at the slowest speed before you're in range of two of the heads, so you need to be quick.

Now pound the head until you kill it. Target the next one on your side, creep forward a little, and repeat.

You'll need to go forward a bit further to get to the range of the other two heads, but again, there's a very small spot where only one of them can get you. Be ready to drop anchor the moment your target goes yellow. The top head comes into range first.

In the MooShu galleon, I had to wait for my ship to heal up between matches, but I could still farm this easily.

After that, the Scylla-spawn are just high-level critters, and you don't have any fighting for a bit after you get through, so you can afford to lose a companion or three.

Easy (Until the developers decide that wasn't what they intended and reset the ranges on the Scylla heads...)

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
I haven't faced this quest yet but I heard that using a ship power that removes damage tokens will be greatly effective. Seeing as the scylla spawns are damage tokens? (I dont know for sure)

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
552
pokeplayer987 on May 24, 2014 wrote:
I have a question about the quest "The Twin Dilemma" so hard. I've been stuck on this quest for about a month now, and I'm wasting my membership. My ship is weak, and i can't a get bundle or anything, and my friends said it's solo, and they can only help me on the crabs. I hope you can answer this question for me. I'll really appreciate it. Thank you very much!
Mojo potions are the key!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5748
Rachel Dreamsong on May 31, 2014 wrote:
I haven't faced this quest yet but I heard that using a ship power that removes damage tokens will be greatly effective. Seeing as the scylla spawns are damage tokens? (I dont know for sure)
Yes! During the ship vs Scylla battle there are monster traps on deck; help friends get rid of them just as you would with any trap. this will reduce the number of the little snapers! I have experienced this battle as commander and as 'henchmen' for friends.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Rachel Dreamsong on May 31, 2014 wrote:
I haven't faced this quest yet but I heard that using a ship power that removes damage tokens will be greatly effective. Seeing as the scylla spawns are damage tokens? (I dont know for sure)
Or once the heads are gone, just use TAB and go onto your deck and clear out all the tokens. Then you are ready to tackle the green cloud.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
Rachel Dreamsong on May 31, 2014 wrote:
I haven't faced this quest yet but I heard that using a ship power that removes damage tokens will be greatly effective. Seeing as the scylla spawns are damage tokens? (I dont know for sure)
The Scylla spawn aren't tokens, they spawn when you come in contact with a greenish black mojo looking thing after killing 2 of the Scylla heads

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5748
Gruesome Richard on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
The Scylla spawn aren't tokens, they spawn when you come in contact with a greenish black mojo looking thing after killing 2 of the Scylla heads
Then why are there monster traps on the ship during the battle?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Gruesome Richard on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
The Scylla spawn aren't tokens, they spawn when you come in contact with a greenish black mojo looking thing after killing 2 of the Scylla heads
Yes they are. Any green tokens that are that have the face on them will transform into more scylla if you leave them on your ship. You could get overwhelmed with scylla if you don't clear them first.