Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why are privy weapons almost all strength based?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Most slashy weapons are strength based (besides staffy hybrids and Bound Oni's Bulwark) while privy's highest stat is will. Which makes me wonder: why are most privy weapons bonus from strength (keep in mind in not complaining, I'm just curious)? No other class has to deal with almost all of their weapons using another stat so why does privy have to?

Lvl 70
Lvl 48

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2012
Yea it doesn't make sense to me because we use will, but we are given a slashy sword and we were taught to use strength. Not will.

I had no clue that we used will and I'm a level 69 privateer. I was resetting my companions and I was giving them strength and their power wasn't going up so I asked my friend and she said we used will.

I was so confused. So now I know I need to use staffy and before I knew of this I had spent all my training points so now I can't reset and learn staffy weapons 1, and 2. Since that's the case I have to farm moo for 4 months until I get staff of power (slashy/staffy) or bound oni's bulwark.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
turtlemcturtleton on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
Yea it doesn't make sense to me because we use will, but we are given a slashy sword and we were taught to use strength. Not will.

I had no clue that we used will and I'm a level 69 privateer. I was resetting my companions and I was giving them strength and their power wasn't going up so I asked my friend and she said we used will.

I was so confused. So now I know I need to use staffy and before I knew of this I had spent all my training points so now I can't reset and learn staffy weapons 1, and 2. Since that's the case I have to farm moo for 4 months until I get staff of power (slashy/staffy) or bound oni's bulwark.
Going to have to farm for Bound Oni's bulwark also, my current weapon is The Axe Of The Minotaur lords which is good but I don't like having to share 1 of my items with 2 pirates plus I think the bulwark is better for pvp

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
To answer your question, it's because privy used to be strength based, and most likely KI forgot or didnt bother to change weapons to will.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
If I may add class are support class,best to use this class in group. The reason s use will due to the fact they heal,in some cases use hoodoo power and this class also raise strength as well, maybe the commodore forgotten to mention that.

Plus this class is highly versatile, in secondary skills.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
Well, Privates are supporters, so they don't have the best weapon power...

Well, that was easy.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
@Monkrinx: Why always label privateer as support class? Sure they can do that, but it's not the only thing they can do, and it's not an excuse to give them bad weapons.

@Fearless Devil: Same as Monkrinx, beside that has nothing to do with weapon power.

It's like knives were strength based and guns were will based... that's just silly.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
When a privateer gets up in level, he spends his time buffing and supporting his crew in the fight, doing very little direct fighting himself.

My privateer usually buffs the first round, drops artillery the next several, then heals when his crew gets hurt. He doesn't have any time to attack anyone himself.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on Jul 6, 2016 wrote:
Most slashy weapons are strength based (besides staffy hybrids and Bound Oni's Bulwark) while privy's highest stat is will. Which makes me wonder: why are most privy weapons bonus from strength (keep in mind in not complaining, I'm just curious)? No other class has to deal with almost all of their weapons using another stat so why does privy have to?

Lvl 70
Lvl 48
Adam, have you thought about asking Ratbeard that question? It is a good question, and Ratbeard is very helpful (though he pretends to be gruff). Since he sets up the combat, he would be the person who really knows the answer.

Having a Privateer myself (currently level 66), my guess is that our will is what we really need for all our buffs and spells, and our weapons are really secondary. Not that our weapons aren't important: the enemy eventually gets to us, and I need to stand in front of my witchdoctors and musketeers to protect them as long as possible. We've got a lot of freedom as privateers for weapon choice - sometimes I've opted for slashy, sometimes for shooty, and nowadays for big fat two-handed weapons. It does end up being sort of 'Jack of All Trades, Master of None', but that is the price you pay for flexibility.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
the Fearless Devil on Jul 11, 2016 wrote:
Well, Privates are supporters, so they don't have the best weapon power...

Well, that was easy.
"Don't have the best weapon power." Completely wrong, the privy summer weapon has the most weapon power in the game and Privys are the only class that get more weapon power than their companions. My brother has 324 weapon power on his privy using the staff of power meanwhile my buc has 311 using the axe of the Minotaur lords.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Max DeGroot on Jul 12, 2016 wrote:
When a privateer gets up in level, he spends his time buffing and supporting his crew in the fight, doing very little direct fighting himself.

My privateer usually buffs the first round, drops artillery the next several, then heals when his crew gets hurt. He doesn't have any time to attack anyone himself.
Yeah my privy never does that, I play differently, I big juju first round and then attack 2nd and 3rd round

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Monkrinx2024 on Jul 11, 2016 wrote:
If I may add class are support class,best to use this class in group. The reason s use will due to the fact they heal,in some cases use hoodoo power and this class also raise strength as well, maybe the commodore forgotten to mention that.

Plus this class is highly versatile, in secondary skills.
Ok so what does that have to do with it being mostly strength-based?

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
It is the result of a ret-on. At one point in time Privateers were also strength based. They were changed to be will based(which compliments their heals) but their weapons were never changed to match.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
The assumption is that slashy weapons were designed for the privateers that melee/tank....and therefore need the STR attached to the weapon. Those privateers that sit in the back and buff/heal are better off with a wand that grants WILL.

See the post below, where Ratbeard indicates that privateers were meant to be played in multiple roles.

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/privateer-talent-loud-8ad6a4143ab6038e013ab7f080107b7b/8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6ae36c06f5?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6ae36c06f5

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Oran from Urz on Jul 17, 2016 wrote:
The assumption is that slashy weapons were designed for the privateers that melee/tank....and therefore need the STR attached to the weapon. Those privateers that sit in the back and buff/heal are better off with a wand that grants WILL.

See the post below, where Ratbeard indicates that privateers were meant to be played in multiple roles.

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/privateer-talent-loud-8ad6a4143ab6038e013ab7f080107b7b/8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6ae36c06f5?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6ae36c06f5
Why would melee/tank means strength?

Why cant I sit in the back and still use a melee weapon?

As I already said, will matters little when it comes to buffs and heals.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Adam, you may not have your privateer fight that way, but what you are doing is complaining that your Witch Doctor weapons are all strength based, not will based, and telling us you equip you Witch Doctor with a sword rather than fighting with magic.

I'm saying that they way you have your Privateer fighting is not how a Privateer fights, and to complain that your Privateer can't fight like a Buccaneer (strength based) is kind of like complaining that your Witch Doctor can't fight like a Buccaneer. They're not supposed to.

Then why have Privateer weapons? Just in case. It helps with defensive moves such as Vengeance, First Strike, Repost, stuff like that.