Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Who is better, Ratbeard or Old scratch?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
I love both of them, but I can't decide witch one is better, Ratbeard has great doging while Old scratch has more amour, sorry if i spelled it wrong, but who is better?

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
um, you got the two mixed up. Ratbeard has armor. OS is more dodgy. as for who is better, it depends on your playstyle. if you prefer getting into the rough of it or need a bodyguard then Rat is your guy. if you want to improve spells and such then go OS.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
They really aren't comparable. Both fill distinctly different roles, so which is better will depend on what type of pirate you're playing, your personal play-style, and the ever-subjective aesthetics.

I prefer Old Scratch on my WD & Privateer if I'm wanting to boost spells. For my WD and Muskey, RB makes a great meat-shield. Swashy likes 'em both about the same. Bucky is too busy getting stuck in the fight to even notice what everyone else is up to; s/he doesn't care at all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
As Fiorenza commented both serve their purpose well, I would however, encourage those using Old Scratch to also use Ratbeard: with Hold the Line at 3 ranks & Repel Boarders, he can stop any enemies who want to charge down a squishy witchdoctor and do massive damage before they can get to your back line!

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
anecorbie on Oct 11, 2018 wrote:
As Fiorenza commented both serve their purpose well, I would however, encourage those using Old Scratch to also use Ratbeard: with Hold the Line at 3 ranks & Repel Boarders, he can stop any enemies who want to charge down a squishy witchdoctor and do massive damage before they can get to your back line!
Thanks for helping, I use both of them.

Ensign
Jun 25, 2014
I would say if you are a class with low level heath, ish, then you should go for Ratbeard as your tank, Ratbeard, if you train him up with hold the line and repel boarders, he can tank pretty well and hold the enemies at him. Old Scratch, haven't really used him that much but from other people i heard that he is pretty good. Old Scratch I think is a fine damage dealer and give decent buffs, I guess. I like Ratbeard more but hey your choice. Have fun sailing.

Your flunked ship battlerTireless Cole, Level 46 Buckaroo

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Depends really. Old Scratch is undeniably amazing for Witchdoctors and Privateers. For the other classes, I would hold the unpopular opinion that I would prefer to have Bonnie, Toro, or some of the level 5 companions over Old Scratch. As to Ratbeard, I've found him useful as a counter to swashes, especially with Hold the Line and Repel Borders, as others have said. Personally, I think Old Scratch has more uses, but an argument can be made for both.