Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Which Pirate Class Is Best For Soloing?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
Hi! I was wondering which class is good for soloing and is still an overall good class?
My Identities:

Cynical Gavin Laverne-Level 9
Cynical Gavin Laverne-Level 5

See you in the Spiral! Friend me if you happen to bump into me!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
THE SAVIOR on May 27, 2014 wrote:
Hi! I was wondering which class is good for soloing and is still an overall good class?
My Identities:

Hello The Savior, welcome to the message boards.
All the classes are pretty balanced. What weaknesses they have are balanced by their awesome companions. I have soloed really well on each one of them. It's basically what fighting style you prefer. I thoroughly enjoy each of the classes.

Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
Musketeer, because they rarely die and have good ranged attacks, and never miss

Privateer, because they can heal themselves and their companions and have high health

Buccaneer, they have high armor and can stay alive in fights

Ensign
May 23, 2010
I've soloed all classes to max level - they're all much the same as far as how easy or hard it is. The tactics you use in battle are different for each one.

Privateer - I found this one a bit of a grind because the privateer attacks are pretty weak so most of the grunt work gets done by my companions. Plus with so many companions I was always short of gold on this character. Probably it will be a little easier to keep the companions trained up and the gold supply going with the changes that have just been released.

Swashbuckler - This one is just plain fun. By the time you get the really high dodge level and the first strike and riposte power, you're going to be taking the bulk of the enemies yourself with support from the companions. The higher level hiding and sneak attacks and poison are awesome tools, too.

Musketeer - Probably the easiest to get through the lower levels with, but not by all that much. With my musketeer I did a lot of hanging back and dropping bombs and laying traps. It's fun to take an enemy out without having to get close to them!

Privateer - I died most on this character, until I got the best shields. Also, the privateers have the fewest companions with healing, so it can get interesting with stronger enemies. Boosting accuracy, armor and magic resist helps a lot.

Witchdoctor - Another really fun one to play, with all the neat powers you can use. The health steals saved my bacon a few times!

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Depends on how you like to play the game.

Buccaneers have high health and deal high damage, they also have armour to defend from physical attacks, however they provoke the enemies to attack them.
Musketeers attack from a distance and have the ability to set up traps, musketeers can also deal multiple damage to a single enemy for each basic attack.
Privateers can heal, have some of the best buffs for companions and have the most companions, they also have the highest health in the game.
Swashbucklers deal the highest damage and can attack multiple enemies and some enemies multiple times, they can also dodge the best and have the ability to jump and inflict poison, but they have the lowest health and I think that swashbucklers can also calm their enemies down.
Witchdoctors have the best resistance to defend from magical attacks, they can summon minions, use powers at pretty much infinite range, attack multiple times with powers, can attack up to 9 squares of enemies with their staff (depends on the staff), they can also convert damage to health.

Each class has way more to offer in terms of story, companions, powers, epic talents and combat style.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
My Identities:

Here's my opinion on which classes are best.

Privateers- I don't think they're great for low level soloing. They have one measly extremely weak attack until level 20, and they have to rely on their companions. They only have a few shields, and those solo battles are extremely frustrating and near impossible as we aren't the greatest class for damage. At the higher levels it gets better, but overall i'd place this class in 4th.

Swashbucklers- They're awesome at soloing from low to high level. I've done every quest and instance on my buckler solo without needing help. They have great survivability, and some high damage and are really fun and fast to play on. Overall, i'd place this class in 1st.

Buccaneers- They can survive, and survive very well, but it takes forEVER to do anything. They don't have many attacks, so you'll rely on your companions a lot, and as your defensive spells only shield you, your companions will be dieing alot easier as you can't draw attention to yourself. At higher levels, it may get slightly better but without good gear giving assassin's etc, you'll find yourself swinging that axe over and over again. It's not extremely fun to play in, either. Overall, i'd place this class in 5th, the worst for soloing.

Witchdoctors- They have great damage and are very fun to play as. They do things really quickly and it's fun. However, it's a bit harder with boss fights as they are fragile and have no defense from melee units, but overall are a great class to play as, and are really enjoyable. Overall Rank: 2nd.

Musketeers- They're fun, and they can have quick battles or really long drawn out ones. They can use traps which get aggravating when your enemy keeps avoiding a trap that will end him, and again are fragile from those heavy hitting melee units. They've got their interetsing shots and loads of powers, though solo battles are a bit challenging for them, they can overcome it with some strategy. Overall Rank, 3rd

So, there's my list, i wish you good luck in the future!

Merciless Jean Percy, 65

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have soloed all of them, although the musketeer lags behind the others as he is in the mid-30s and everyone else is high 50s or maxed in levels. I think all are viable solo options. I would say the swashbuckler is probably the easiest, and the buccaneer the hardest. But that may have just been my experience and the relative difficulty/ease my characters experienced may have had more to do with my play style and the luck of the item drops* than any inherent difference in the powers of the classes.

My best recommendation: pick the class that best suits your play style, and go with that character; my guess is he or she wil do just fine.

-Indigo

*My buccaneer was a long time finding decent items that provided healing, for example.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Based on my experience each class have theire own advantages and drawbacks when dueling. Here are some explanations below.Please keep in mind this is only my opinon.

Buccaneer- This class are great to use when soloing, due to theire high defense,health and strength. Last a long time in duels.However this class might be slower than the others witch make more agile traget more of a challenge. Lucky for my Buccaneer,she is faster than the typical Buccaneer witch make her special.

Swashbuckler- Another great class to go solo,speedier version of the buccaneer.They do last a long time,but theire health is decent unless you choose the naturally though talent in the character creation screen,like I did witch make her last even longer.

Witchdoctor-Extremely Challenging when soloing, but this class get better as it gain levels.This class might have high health,but this class have little armor and physical attacks can badly hurt this class.

Privater- A slightly challenging when soling,sure this class have high armor,but have low health and decent attack.But with healing power,strength boost from the buccaneer class and walking in wind from the musketeer class can make the duel a little easier.

Musketeer- An average battle when soloing,due to theire ability with traps and with healing power from the privateer class, this class is another choice to solo.

Just try go solo in each class and see witch fit best for your pirate class.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
My Identities:

There is a certain amount of balance to the classes, but of my 5 pirates (one from each class) my swashbuckler has the easiest go of it. I have soloed the game with each of my pirates but my swashbuckler did not 'die' once. Each of my other pirates ran into a dungeon or enemy that was too much for them at one point and had to try it over again. Also...I spend more time helping other players than actually taking care of my own pirate business lol. Musketeers and witchdoctors seem to need a little help early in the game. Once they reach level 30 or so they do ok. Privateers can be challenging unless you can effectively use the strategy of sitting back and buffing your crew and letting them do the fighting until the battle is almost over and then swoop in and clean up the scraps. Buccaneers are solid from start to finish, but I would have to say that swashbucklers are easily the best class to quest with. Not only because they seem to 'die' less often but because of the huge amount of damage they do. Dungeons go by much faster when you are doing 1,000 - 4,000 damage each round. Also...your enemy can't hurt you if they can't hit you. If you do decide to take my advice and go with your swashbuckler be sure to use gear items that increase your agility and dodge. After the most recent update, swashbucklers are also much better at pvp now so all in all I think they are at this time the most well rounded class out there and require less strategy to play. Anyone who disagrees can find me in the Avery realm brawlin' hall every night after 6 p.m. CDT. Stop by and we can 'discuss' it in further detail. :)

Ensign
Jul 10, 2009
Whatever class you choose, I would have two pieces of advice to give you about soloing:

1) The Privateer healing is very useful. It only costs one practice point (except for Privateers, of course) for basic helaing, and I have found it very useful.

2) Wait for your enemies to come to you. This is more important in later worlds and on the Witchdoctor class. Spend the time that it takes for your enemies to come to you to buff yourself and your companions, and generally prepare you. With most maps, its only one turn anyways. And if you have a Swashbuckler companion that can just rush into battle, don't because doing so will make them a target and they tend to have lower health.

Hope this is helpful,
Ivette Xaiver, Oracle