What's all the hype about????

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
376
Are Swashbucklers THAT popular, because I see them a lot, and lots of people like them. I'm more of a long-range fan than a meelee fan, to be honest. And plus, the dance of steel is a bit too much, along with the constant kicking and jumping and twirling in place. I know some of you guys like that, and think that's cool, and that's okay. That's your opinion. But I'm more comfortable with a Musketeer doing a cool trick shot, or a Witchdoctor's awesome curse.

Romantic Hannah Devereaux
Slick Stephanie Maxwell

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
CheeryCherry1234 on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
Are Swashbucklers THAT popular, because I see them a lot, and lots of people like them. I'm more of a long-range fan than a meelee fan, to be honest. And plus, the dance of steel is a bit too much, along with the constant kicking and jumping and twirling in place. I know some of you guys like that, and think that's cool, and that's okay. That's your opinion. But I'm more comfortable with a Musketeer doing a cool trick shot, or a Witchdoctor's awesome curse.

Romantic Hannah Devereaux
Slick Stephanie Maxwell
I personally think musketeers' moves are cooler, when you have pistols, you jumping in the air doing tons of stunts with guns. But, my main character, a swashbuckler (level 65) has some pretty cool animations too. Dance of steel isn't the best, Assassin's strike with a slashy weapon looks EPIC!
It goes like this: Slash(down)... slash(up)slash(down)... slash(up) slash(down) SLASH!(Up) (Throw weapon in the air)... Kick.. SLASH!!!!(Down). XD
Well it's a little hard to explain with words. And i think the poison animation is pretty cool, your enemies burning with you just standing in the middle, laughing almost, and the way they lean back and scream I must sound like a maniac, but it's really cool.
Witchdoctors spells aren't that epic in animations, but their basic attacks are kinda cool looking.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
People choose it a lot because of the draw of tons of dodge and high damage. Swashbuckler is a class for beginners because they dodge a lot, and they do high damage. Musketeers are difficult because of having to strategically place traps to make them effective. Witchdoctors are for hard-core players because of low health, dodge, and accuracy, but make up for those flaws with very high damage and curses. Being able to hit lots of enemies at once is great. Buccaneers are for good players who love to be in the middle of the action, and love to have lots of health and armor. Privateers are for players who really like strategy and lots of companions, and they are good at reinforcing their friends. Every class has its ups and downs, but they are all good in the end. Hope this helps a bit!

Slick Michael Radcliffe: Lvl. 65

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
160
I like being a Privateer, because we sit back, buff, and watch our companions do the fighting I have a Musketeer pirate, and I got him to level 25 It's so different than Privateer! I am really excited to start a Swashbucker Pirate after the Musketeer is max level, because as a Swashbuckler, you are right up there fighting with your companions.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
210
The twirling and kicking during dance of steel is only when you're using dual-swords. If you use a slashy-shooty or smashy-shooty weapon, you'll just spin around and blast everyone with your gun instead.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
To each his or her own and it is just a matter of preference. It may not be your style and that is just fine. Once you get bored with what you are doing it might be worth giving it a try just to see how fun it is. Swashys are really hard to hit (Lots of dodge) and they can do a lot of damage quickly plus they can move really fast across the board just pester the baddies silly. I admit to loving all the jumping and spinning. Since I am disabled from constant back pain I just adore living through my little Golden Chrissy and am once again graceful and acrobatic. Well I really shouldn't say "Once again" as I was never really That good, but it sure is fun to pretend I can be.
Swashies need some protecting but they can really deal out the damage and they do it with such style and flair.
Like I said, to each their own, and that is totally OK. Just consider it at some point, you may surprise yourself and have some fun.

Ensign
Sep 13, 2009
34
They are pretty popular but not as popular as they were in the beggining of the game when they were probably the most popular pirate and pretty much everyone had one.

Ensign
Jul 01, 2009
3
I understand i love my witchdoctor i finally got to lvl 64 but i did also love the other class restricted companions or just regular swashbuckler companions so i bought them in the crown shop.
Iago and Lucy Sterling
Virtuos Todd lvl 64

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
160
I like swashbucklers i feel they fit the pirate persona best, but my theory is that it has something to do with a little concept i like to call rouge syndrome. This would be the part IRL where i ask who likes ninjas, and everyone raises their hand. who wouldn't, right? they got the cool flips and tricks, all the weapons, and they're mysterious, which everyone loves. ninjas have had a huge impact on gaming since the gaming days of old, (Ninja Gaiden, one of the hardest game series imo, Shinobi, Almost any fighter game in Japan, and the list goes on) but now that complex stories and elaborate backgrounds have come into gaming, ninjas themselves struggle to fit in. i believe the syndrome itself began with the older RPGs, where game designers said, "hey, lets have a ninja class!", only to meet a "but this is a medieval time game" and a response came, "ok, then how about we call them a rouge, or a thief, and just change the look?", and thus rouge syndrome was born. Everyone from every game loves rogues, thieves, wether it's Skyrim, W.O.W., or Assassin's creed, they all have a class that is like a ninja, or the more common term, rouge, and the Swashbuckler class is just p101's version of a rouge. I don't know why so many people love the acrobatic attacks, cool evasions, awesome weapons with creative uses, (i might have the syndrome as well) but they do, and it seems that no matter what incarnation the rouge takes, it is always prevalent.

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
I love the Swashbucklers, not because they are super strong, but because they focus in dual-bladed combat. I always loved the look of dual-blades and Swashbucklers just caught my eyes since Beta. I like Swashbuckler's also because of Sarah Steele, who is my all time favorite Companion (with Cat Pirate running second).

One thing I like about any Class or School since Wizard101, is a class that can preform multiple tasks. I don't like many things that can only do one good thing and have no other side abilities. Swashbucklers can not only deal a lot of damage, but they can intercept attacks, deal damage over time, attack multiple enemies, and have a good balance of powers to epics. I like to play around with different strategies and not be limited to 1 focus.

I think all classes have something different and cool to offer to the masses and some will get more attention then others (it's like how cholocate is one of the most favorite flavors in the world, but they're all good). But it's good to know KI has granted enough classes to give all kinds of people something they'll like.

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
376
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
I personally think musketeers' moves are cooler, when you have pistols, you jumping in the air doing tons of stunts with guns. But, my main character, a swashbuckler (level 65) has some pretty cool animations too. Dance of steel isn't the best, Assassin's strike with a slashy weapon looks EPIC!
It goes like this: Slash(down)... slash(up)slash(down)... slash(up) slash(down) SLASH!(Up) (Throw weapon in the air)... Kick.. SLASH!!!!(Down). XD
Well it's a little hard to explain with words. And i think the poison animation is pretty cool, your enemies burning with you just standing in the middle, laughing almost, and the way they lean back and scream I must sound like a maniac, but it's really cool.
Witchdoctors spells aren't that epic in animations, but their basic attacks are kinda cool looking.
Oh yeah that move! I thought it was with Smashy, because my Buccaneer got armor from Friar Sand that gives you that card. I love that move!

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
warriorscreed on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
People choose it a lot because of the draw of tons of dodge and high damage. Swashbuckler is a class for beginners because they dodge a lot, and they do high damage. Musketeers are difficult because of having to strategically place traps to make them effective. Witchdoctors are for hard-core players because of low health, dodge, and accuracy, but make up for those flaws with very high damage and curses. Being able to hit lots of enemies at once is great. Buccaneers are for good players who love to be in the middle of the action, and love to have lots of health and armor. Privateers are for players who really like strategy and lots of companions, and they are good at reinforcing their friends. Every class has its ups and downs, but they are all good in the end. Hope this helps a bit!

Slick Michael Radcliffe: Lvl. 65
I felt a bit offended when you said swashbucklers are for beginners.
While we do dodge a lot and do pretty good damage, it comes at a price. We have the lowest health (WD have a bit more health then us I believe?) and our defenses are a bit nonexistent (hence the fact we need to dodge a lot)

Not to mention we are at a disadvantage in places like coolranch (Welcome to Musketeer central. Enjoy the sparkshooters who will pretty much always hit you) or any place with a high Musketeer count.

I am a total swashbuckler at heart and I say it is actually a tough pirate class to master, but worth it in the end.

P.S. Every Swashbuckler could use a Nausica (for those who want a weapon against those annoying musketeers)

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
swashbucklers are nice, but they also need a lot of strategy. a swash that gets knocked out of its style is dead meat. dont forget that with the strategy thats required to be a swash, it requires about the same effort to defeat one