Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

what companions do you put to sleep?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 06, 2011
ever since i did some of the side quests to get the extra companions like nurse quinn, toreador novillero, and kane clanton, i've realized how valuable the two companion bench spots i get(i think i'll get three at some point) i decided to bench don Gonzalo, the monquistan explorer because in my opinion he's the worst buccaneer in the entire game. he doesn't get a promotion until level 30 or something around there, and when he does he only gets one epic talent. i decided to use the other bench on old scratch because i can't use him effectively. he dies quickly, his mojo blast doesn't seem to change anything and he spends more time fizzling then hitting. he's my least favorite companion and i just don't like him. i'm a level 40 swashbuckler and have two sheets of companions. i dont know if thats a lot but i did get a lot of side quest companions. i really wish we could get more bench spots because i have a lot of companions that are dreadfully ineffective. if i could, i would also bench nurse Quinn, kane clanton, alvar varga, and milo greytail. i was really mad when i upgraded milo greytail and he got awful epic talents (hold the line and turn the tide are the bane of my existence ) nurse quinn has awful accuracy, alvar varga has bad range and is generally weak, and kane clanton has a range of TWO SPACES! if anyone plans to get him through the side quest, DON'T! its a waste of the percent chance that he'll show up instead of someone better. anyway, through this rant, i was wondering what companions other people bench.
grumpy jason hawkins

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Just like you, I bench the companions with the least number of epic talents. Once I max out a PC, I catch the benched crew up in level to the rest of my crew. It's easy, since you get 3 levels for one book when the companion is 9 levels behind you, and 2 for one tome when they're 5 levels behind you. I reset talents at 46th level, to concentrate talents where they are most helpful. Duelist 101 and p101 central have some suggestions on companion builds. Some of the "worst" companions, like Nurse Quinn, Medicine Chicken, are able to train Witch Hunter epic talent. I give them all the Witch Hunter they can learn. Witch Hunter rarely gets used, because witchdoctor enemies are so rare, but it is a superpowered epic against them (especially Witch Hunter 3). After I catch my weaker crew up to my first page crew, I bench my witch hunters until I need them, then I give my witch hunters my top spots on the Unit Roster. This is super helpful in Aquila when you fight witchdoctor mobs, like the satyrs and fire cult snakes.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Btw, Milo Greytail is on my privateer's first page of 3 pages, he is arguably the best Presidio 5 companion (because of his base damage), and some of his epics actually trigger fairly often. All the Presidio 5 are on the first page of all my pirates. The number of epic talents matters more than the quality of those epics IMO. Milo does not get Turn the Tide, that's a buccaneer talent. He can get Relentless, Blade Storm, Vengeance Strike and Cheap Shot, which hit 50% harder than a normal attack. He can also get flanking, which can trigger almost every round If you're clever about it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
iateaunicorn12 on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
ever since i did some of the side quests to get the extra companions like nurse quinn, toreador novillero, and kane clanton, i've realized how valuable the two companion bench spots i get(i think i'll get three at some point) i decided to bench don Gonzalo, the monquistan explorer because in my opinion he's the worst buccaneer in the entire game. he doesn't get a promotion until level 30 or something around there, and when he does he only gets one epic talent. i decided to use the other bench on old scratch because i can't use him effectively. he dies quickly, his mojo blast doesn't seem to change anything and he spends more time fizzling then hitting. he's my least favorite companion and i just don't like him. i'm a level 40 swashbuckler and have two sheets of companions. i dont know if thats a lot but i did get a lot of side quest companions. i really wish we could get more bench spots because i have a lot of companions that are dreadfully ineffective. if i could, i would also bench nurse Quinn, kane clanton, alvar varga, and milo greytail. i was really mad when i upgraded milo greytail and he got awful epic talents (hold the line and turn the tide are the bane of my existence ) nurse quinn has awful accuracy, alvar varga has bad range and is generally weak, and kane clanton has a range of TWO SPACES! if anyone plans to get him through the side quest, DON'T! its a waste of the percent chance that he'll show up instead of someone better. anyway, through this rant, i was wondering what companions other people bench.
grumpy jason hawkins
I usually put to sleep the ones with one or two epics unless it has witch hunter then I keep them around for specific fights. One I do not sleep is Old Scratch. With the right training he can really do some serious damage for you. Yea he fizzles once in a while but he always makes up for it with the amazing damage strings he can do. Give him Mojo Echo x2 and Improved Mojo Blast x2. Then train him in damage, and spooky all the way. I then alternate shielding and dodge as it always helps when he can dodge that damage that really hurts him. We can't fix his accuracy with training and I am still praying for a second chance type epic for him like Jobu's Ruse but until then I always give him all the will boost I can either by will or Great Juju and I boost his accuracy with Toro's boost. He is one of those Squishies that Ratbeard talks that needs protecting but I don't mind because of what he can give in return. Yea I have seen those 4 turns in a row fizzles but they are truly rare and they just seem to happen more because that high frustration keeps the event stamped in our memory. I know it is frustrating when he fizzles but he will be amaze you with the damage he can do if you let him.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I usually put to sleep the ones with one or two epics unless it has witch hunter then I keep them around for specific fights. One I do not sleep is Old Scratch. With the right training he can really do some serious damage for you. Yea he fizzles once in a while but he always makes up for it with the amazing damage strings he can do. Give him Mojo Echo x2 and Improved Mojo Blast x2. Then train him in damage, and spooky all the way. I then alternate shielding and dodge as it always helps when he can dodge that damage that really hurts him. We can't fix his accuracy with training and I am still praying for a second chance type epic for him like Jobu's Ruse but until then I always give him all the will boost I can either by will or Great Juju and I boost his accuracy with Toro's boost. He is one of those Squishies that Ratbeard talks that needs protecting but I don't mind because of what he can give in return. Yea I have seen those 4 turns in a row fizzles but they are truly rare and they just seem to happen more because that high frustration keeps the event stamped in our memory. I know it is frustrating when he fizzles but he will be amaze you with the damage he can do if you let him.
I too am quite the admirer of Old Scratch. You are so right in saying that he can reek havoc on the battle field. And I think that I actually have him trained the same as you. Like you said all he needs is protection and some boosting and buffing and he will perform admirably. I'll sacrifice a little fizzle for all the ferocity any battle. Nice to see a fellow supporter of the Old Bag of Bones.

PS- By the way Chrissy I think this would be a great addition to the PHP thread. Any advice or strategies on how to train specific companions would be a novel idea- I don't think there are any tips on the thread about that yet. At least not singling out a companion. That could be right up your alley....hint...hint...wink...wink. No pressure but your wisdom is evident on this matter- I will offer up my own advice on training of some companions of course, for it is my duty. But with your writing and your game knowledge, you would be a prime candidate to lead the charge.

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
For my level 59 Buccaneer, I put Thunder Hoof, Vero Chavez, and Barnabus (didn't promote him yet), and I really want to put Nadya to sleep. My Milo (rat scoundrel) is good and handy in a fight sometimes, and so is Old Scratch (undead houngan). For my other pirates, it's Old Scratch the undead witchdoctor. He has HORRIBLE accuracy, and is weak...

Petty Officer
Jul 22, 2013
1. Birgus I just don't like him he is not very bright to me
2. Old scratch he fizzles and dies to quickly
3. batacuda is like a weak version of ratbeard VERY WEAK

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CheeryCherry1234 on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
For my level 59 Buccaneer, I put Thunder Hoof, Vero Chavez, and Barnabus (didn't promote him yet), and I really want to put Nadya to sleep. My Milo (rat scoundrel) is good and handy in a fight sometimes, and so is Old Scratch (undead houngan). For my other pirates, it's Old Scratch the undead witchdoctor. He has HORRIBLE accuracy, and is weak...
Scratchy is only weak until you train him up. You see the proof that your older one works better for you than the younger one.
This is the same for all the main companions, if you don't grow them they cannot perform the way they were designed. You guys are really making it harder on yourselves by not growing your good fighters. They really are worth the effort.