Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Walk in Shadows not working for Sneak Attack?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 14, 2013
Pretty much how the title puts it. For a little more info I'm a lvl 12 privateer. I just got my second training point so I spent it on walk in shadows but was disappointed when I noticed it doesn't work at all with sneak attack. I did quit a few test, and it turns out that while the skill increases my regular attacks x2, it does nothing extra if I end it with sneak attack. Is this because my main class Isn't a swashbuckler or something, or are those skills just not supposed to interact at all in the first place, which if so seems kind of silly to me. The weapon I'm using is a slashy/bashy, but I don't see how that would matter much because like I said, sneak attack works fine, and walk in shadow works fine with regular attacks, they just don't work together. Any information would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
i have found the same problem, after one of the recent updates walk in shadow plus melee for example does no longer adds damage to the attack

Ensign
Feb 14, 2013
Okay so I did a little more testing, and found some things out. I am now pretty sure that when using sneak attack with walk in shadow, the total amount of damage increase is x3, NOT x4 like I thought it would be. say you hit 30-50 with normal attacks. If you hit on the low end of that scale (30 damage) while using walk in shadow and sneak attack (x3 your attack) , it will do about 90ish damage. And now if you JUST use sneak attack by itself (x2 your attack) but hit on the HIGH end of the scale (50 damage) it will do 90ish damage as well. This is why at first I thought walk in shadow didn't effect it at all. I can't really see the point in ending up being x3 however, because you spend a turn casting walk in shadow before you attack, so if you just used sneak attack, and then did a regular attack the next turn it would be end up being same amount of damage. (1 turn walk in shadows, 1 turn sneak attack = x3 VS 1 turn sneak attack x2, 1 turn normal attack = x3) The only real plus I can see is that it ends up being a guaranteed hit, and also maybe if you pull a crit, it would be better as well. But aside from that, and not being able to be targeted by attacks walk in shadows seems kinda useless. JUST MY 2 CENTS, I COULD STILL BE WRONG ABOUT ALL OF THIS! So now my question is was this skill intended to only end up being x3 damage when used with sneak attack, or is that a bug?

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
I noticed too that the damage of melee skills under shadow walk is not so much efficent, but this doesn't means that it is not applied, let's start from some fact:

1. It always works with normal critical and "card" criticals, actually the best way to use Shadow walk type skills is in conjunction with critical skills.
2. skills with 2x damage consider only basic damage, without any buff bonus (this will be addressed with next patch if i had understand well) but anytime it works, just using shadow walk plus 2x skills is not convenient if you can use a cirtical strike skill ^^, i am sure about this because with shadow walk on i can crit for around 400 damage (at my current level), without shadow walk is just the half ^^, with 2x skills instead it depends if you crit or not since a crit x2 would do double damage than a normal x2 (wich could be assimilable to a normal crit).

Administrator
JacksonCraws on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
Okay so I did a little more testing, and found some things out. I am now pretty sure that when using sneak attack with walk in shadow, the total amount of damage increase is x3, NOT x4 like I thought it would be. say you hit 30-50 with normal attacks. If you hit on the low end of that scale (30 damage) while using walk in shadow and sneak attack (x3 your attack) , it will do about 90ish damage. And now if you JUST use sneak attack by itself (x2 your attack) but hit on the HIGH end of the scale (50 damage) it will do 90ish damage as well. This is why at first I thought walk in shadow didn't effect it at all. I can't really see the point in ending up being x3 however, because you spend a turn casting walk in shadow before you attack, so if you just used sneak attack, and then did a regular attack the next turn it would be end up being same amount of damage. (1 turn walk in shadows, 1 turn sneak attack = x3 VS 1 turn sneak attack x2, 1 turn normal attack = x3) The only real plus I can see is that it ends up being a guaranteed hit, and also maybe if you pull a crit, it would be better as well. But aside from that, and not being able to be targeted by attacks walk in shadows seems kinda useless. JUST MY 2 CENTS, I COULD STILL BE WRONG ABOUT ALL OF THIS! So now my question is was this skill intended to only end up being x3 damage when used with sneak attack, or is that a bug?
Hello You may want to read Ratbeard's explanation of Sneak Attack damage that he posted in this thread. It may have some of the answers you're looking for.

Thanks!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*