The New Companion Policy

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
Shadowcloud Legend on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Wait a second... WHAT! It also says that now Companions wont appear in combat! If that is true, that is going WAY to far. Making them wounded in combat is one thing, but now they don't even appear in combat?! I have to say, that's a little disappointing. I love companions appearing in combat, I would rather they appear in combat more than me appearing in combat. What's the point of critical strikes and epics now? Sorry if I'm being a little harsh. If you scroll down on this link to "Companion Orders"(www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/816/feature/8343/Pirate101-Advanced-Companions-Incoming.html) It says that they just give you orders! After your done reading that, look at the comments, everyone is agreeing that this is a bad idea. Companions are my favorite thing about Pirate101, and of course them in combat is my favorite thing the Companions. I mean I'm still going to play Pirate101, but (I never thought I would say this) I don't know if I'm going to play it as frequently.

Once again, I still love the game. And I'm sorry if I'm being harsh. I'm also not trying to encourage anyone to not like the game (if you haven't yet started the game, then I do encourage you to start today)

Dead-eye Octavio Devereaux, level 65 Witchdoctor
Fearful Zane Parker, level 65 Buccaneer
Again, sorry everyone for misreading this.

Actually, someone else read it this way and then told me this the wrong way.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
I definitely say, "let's give this thing a fair chance" before it is labeled as a bad idea. How can anyone know if it is a bad idea or they don't like it, without actually trying it first. If I had done that before I ever had pizza, fries, sundaes or my precious coffee- without daring to try it out first...oh, I would be one unhappy pirate.

Like Ratbeard stated, our pirates are essentially going to be given free stuff every time we log in, without us having to do anything but click on a few companions and click again and assign them what task we want them to carry out. And we will be able to actually dictate who accompanies our pirate into battle. Now, I too like the randomness factor, but that being said I also am not crazy about when I have a companion in the first row that hasn't shown up in 20+ battles even though by percentages it should have. I am excited that I will be able to keep my first mate and still be guaranteed to see one of my other favorite companion join any given battle too. And we can still 'adjust' the difficulty a bit by putting a lower level companion or 2 into one of those 4 guaranteed slots. If you miss seeing certain companions, send them to the 1st row, seats 1-4.

Sounds like a great scenario to me- but again we will have to give it a fair shot and actually try it out before condemning it.
Now that I think of it, I firmly agree with Valkoor. At first, I was doubting that it was a good idea. Then, I thought that it'd be a better thanks to Valkoor. Thanks Valkoor!

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
Here are some more questions that I would really like for someone to answer.

  1. Will we still be able to change our companion's position?
  2. Are our companions still always with us no matter what?
  3. Will there be an option letting us change back to the old companion policy as I suggested in one of my older posts?
  4. Will we still be able to pick our companions for boss fights and pvp?

I ask question #3 because I for one (I seem like I would) prefer the old policy, this one seems way more confusing. Also, I loved the roster choosing random companions. Or, I would also be okay with the new policy if the roster didn't chose the three, but instead chose randomly and the other companions can still help.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
Everyone, Ratbeard is right.
I used to not like this, but try going on to Pirate101, then go to your companion list, then imagine being able to get them to give you extra powers! It's actually pretty awesome if you think about it. I think this is going to be a cool addition to Pirate101. But of course KI could never let me down.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Everybody take a deep breath.

You'll be able to try it out soon.

In the meantime, just imagine logging in every day and collecting 2+ pages worth of gold, tomes, loot, and nautical XP from your companions.
I am devoting all my lazy companions to getting me nautical XP since I am to lazy to go nautical farming myself XD

Can't wait for this and the new companions

Petty Officer
Jun 06, 2009
82
The only thing I don't like about this new system is that there won't be any variability in who gets into the battle. I feel like that variability will reduce some of the fun of having to think on your feet in the first round, when you see who gets into the battle. However, the rest of it sounds really fun! I like the idea of companion orders, and I REALLY like the part where a hurt companion will have to be out for a bit. It adds some nice realism to the system. Good job Kingsile!
-Brave Samantha Nightingale lvl 65
-Stormy Nikita Nightingale lvl 22
-Sneaky Sarai Nightingale lvl 10

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
1Of1Musketeer on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Now that I think of it, I firmly agree with Valkoor. At first, I was doubting that it was a good idea. Then, I thought that it'd be a better thanks to Valkoor. Thanks Valkoor!
You are welcome.

Although I am not trying to change anyone's minds because having your own opinion is what makes you, well...you and it is very valuable to voice your own opinions. And everyone else is going to have their own opinion based on their initial gut reaction. Let's all just try to refrain from the "this is going to stink", "I am so mad about this" or "why did they do this to us, I might not even play anymore" type comments that I have seen and read on various P101 affiliated sites. And conversely the "this is going to be the best thing ever" comments as well. Opinions are wonderful to express but at the same time we don't really have any thing to base our opinions on besides a few very generous sneak peak posts, panoramas and videos. We will have to actually see these new changes and additions in action before we can accurately give an opinion on how it affects us individually.

I am very excited about the updates and changes and can't wait to see them in game and test them out. But at the same time, I realize that there may be pros and cons about them and time will tell if my initial "sweeeeet" reaction will hold true. I think I am most excited about actually being able to constructively offer the KI staff input to better help them produce the best new content and game possible- almost more so than the actual changes themselves...well, maybe not, but I am excited.

We are very lucky KI is allowing us to test these changes out and provide valuable feedback so they can adjust and try to accommodate our various needs and wishes. So, until we actually get our hooks on the new goodies, let's just try to keep our minds open and look at the changes from every angle and every view point. These updates effect multiple groups of players in different ways, so we should try to see it from every view point and not just our own, individually. And then once we have had a go at the new things, let the opinions flow (good and bad)...as long as we do it in a constructive, helpful and kind way.

I so can't wait to test everything out.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5768
Yes, when the test realm opens, it will be hard to decide what to do first! Will you pick up the new class companion, or try training your pet? Try the new Skull Island areas or set your companions on tasks? Or any of the other goodies mentioned in the video update? Eyepatch stitching ( I'm glad I bought the lucky clover eyepatch )

Administrator
Shadowcloud Legend on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
The only thing about this new policy is the confusion. Will an administrator or developer please tell me how this will work? Here are some questions that I would like the answer to

  1. Will we be able to get our companions back from their own quests whenever we want?
  2. Will we be able to send our companions on quest whenever we want?
  3. Will we be able whatever companion on whatever quest?

The only thing that I dislike about this policy right now is that the roster will chose the our first three companions. It might seem like everyone would like it this way, but I honestly prefer random choice WAY more than the first three. It would be WAY cooler if we could change these settings. For example, we can go to the settings, go to the second joystick, and there would be an option saying that we could chose between random companions, or the first three companions, just like normal settings.
Let me try to answer your questions here (interchanging "job order" where you have written "quest").

Will we be able to get our companions back from their own quests whenever we want?

Yes, there is a "Belay Orders" button you may use to cancel a companion's orders.

Will we be able to send our companions on quest whenever we want?

Yes, even if they're wounded! The only time they wouldn't be able to complete a job is if they're busy with another job order.

Will we be able whatever companion on whatever quest?

Only companions that are completely leveled to their max level will be able to undertake a couple of officer jobs, like Keel Haulin' (hunting for training tomes).

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Administrator
Shadowcloud Legend on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Here are some more questions that I would really like for someone to answer.

  1. Will we still be able to change our companion's position?
  2. Are our companions still always with us no matter what?
  3. Will there be an option letting us change back to the old companion policy as I suggested in one of my older posts?
  4. Will we still be able to pick our companions for boss fights and pvp?

I ask question #3 because I for one (I seem like I would) prefer the old policy, this one seems way more confusing. Also, I loved the roster choosing random companions. Or, I would also be okay with the new policy if the roster didn't chose the three, but instead chose randomly and the other companions can still help.
Will we still be able to change our companion's position?

If you move a companion who is currently undertaking a job into the First Mate slot, it will ask you if you'd like to cancel their orders so you can move them into your First Mate slot; otherwise, feel free to switch around your companion arrangement as always in the "My Companions" window.

Are our companions still always with us no matter what?

Yes, they are still there, they just show a scroll over the top of their portrait that says, "Busy."

Will there be an option letting us change back to the old companion policy as I suggested in one of my older posts?

No, currently there's no option to revert to an old system.

Will we still be able to pick our companions for boss fights and pvp?

Yes, however if your companions you choose are busy with Job Orders, you will be asked if you'd like to either finish their orders early for Crowns or simply remove them from the job without completing it so they may participate.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
160
Will we be able to put every companion on missions? I really want to, for I have always wanted a "Solo" mode to play with only my character, and no companions for a challenge.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
Let me try to answer your questions here (interchanging "job order" where you have written "quest").

Will we be able to get our companions back from their own quests whenever we want?

Yes, there is a "Belay Orders" button you may use to cancel a companion's orders.

Will we be able to send our companions on quest whenever we want?

Yes, even if they're wounded! The only time they wouldn't be able to complete a job is if they're busy with another job order.

Will we be able whatever companion on whatever quest?

Only companions that are completely leveled to their max level will be able to undertake a couple of officer jobs, like Keel Haulin' (hunting for training tomes).
Thanks One-eyed Jack!

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
Will we still be able to change our companion's position?

If you move a companion who is currently undertaking a job into the First Mate slot, it will ask you if you'd like to cancel their orders so you can move them into your First Mate slot; otherwise, feel free to switch around your companion arrangement as always in the "My Companions" window.

Are our companions still always with us no matter what?

Yes, they are still there, they just show a scroll over the top of their portrait that says, "Busy."

Will there be an option letting us change back to the old companion policy as I suggested in one of my older posts?

No, currently there's no option to revert to an old system.

Will we still be able to pick our companions for boss fights and pvp?

Yes, however if your companions you choose are busy with Job Orders, you will be asked if you'd like to either finish their orders early for Crowns or simply remove them from the job without completing it so they may participate.
Thanks again Jack!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Shadowcloud Legend on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Again, sorry everyone for misreading this.

Actually, someone else read it this way and then told me this the wrong way.
Ah Ha, you got tagged by the old telephone game. Never trust that kind of info from a second source. Unless it's Data, something will always get changed around. Lesson learned to always do the reading yourself.

Petty Officer
Jan 31, 2013
65
My apologies fellow pirates but I'm going to be a nar sayer here. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the new update feature. "What about the free stuff they'll be doing? Won't that be awesome?" Meh? I don't really care, and probably won't bother with those much. Maybe a few training tomes here and there.

"Don't you just love the new system that forces you to use your first three companions?" No! No I don't! That right there is one of my issues. I never played this game to the unspoken rules of the game. I don't use the A-team companions on my first lists. I have a mix of the left behind group, my favorites, and maybe one or two of the A-teams on each row. Now I'm going to be stuck with the same three companions all the time, and if I want change I'm going to have to sit there and reorder my lists forever now. I'm really going to miss that.

I'm going to miss that rush of a strategy plan when the battle would start and for a few seconds my side of the screen would be blank, and I would have no idea who would show up in battle beside my first mate. Now I'm always going to know, and I'm always going to have to decide exactly who shows up. The surprise, mystery, quick battle plan changes, struggle, all of that is now going to be gone forever.

I'll try it out just the same. Just to see how often I'll have to sit and organize my two pages of companions.

Ensign
Nov 22, 2010
27
NO!

If I wanted to be playing Wizard101 with the ridiculous pet system, that's what I'd be playing. I'm playing Pirate101 because it's easier and more logical and less time wasting on training pets.

Count me as not impressed.

Any cheating bosses will cause me to change games and give up on Pirate101 totally. I had enough trouble with cheating bosses on Wizard.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Captain Rosethorn on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
My apologies fellow pirates but I'm going to be a nar sayer here. I don't think I'm going to enjoy the new update feature. "What about the free stuff they'll be doing? Won't that be awesome?" Meh? I don't really care, and probably won't bother with those much. Maybe a few training tomes here and there.

"Don't you just love the new system that forces you to use your first three companions?" No! No I don't! That right there is one of my issues. I never played this game to the unspoken rules of the game. I don't use the A-team companions on my first lists. I have a mix of the left behind group, my favorites, and maybe one or two of the A-teams on each row. Now I'm going to be stuck with the same three companions all the time, and if I want change I'm going to have to sit there and reorder my lists forever now. I'm really going to miss that.

I'm going to miss that rush of a strategy plan when the battle would start and for a few seconds my side of the screen would be blank, and I would have no idea who would show up in battle beside my first mate. Now I'm always going to know, and I'm always going to have to decide exactly who shows up. The surprise, mystery, quick battle plan changes, struggle, all of that is now going to be gone forever.

I'll try it out just the same. Just to see how often I'll have to sit and organize my two pages of companions.
I do see where you are coming from and it is true that so many enjoy that randomness and element of strategic surprise that comes from random companions appearing in battle. That has been my biggest uncertainty in all of the update news as well. It also, from my reading, has seemed to be the biggest source of concerns and apprehensions for the players and fans of P101.

So, I was wondering if KI would consider this scenario as a possibility- that is if it were even an option with the new mechanics of the advanced companion system.

KI, could there be any possibility within the realm of the new system, that maybe the 1st 2 slots could be guaranteed to show up in battle and the then the last 2 slots would be randomly drawn from your 1st page of companions only (with those companions having an option to perform tasks as well)? If they are on task, then they will not appear in battle. But you would always have to have at least four companions 'active'. Then the 2nd page plus, could be sent on the tasks that I and many others are looking forward to. That way those who want to be guaranteed more than just their 1st mate entering battle would be obliged, those that like the randomness would still get some of it, and those that are looking forward to their mainly idle companions earning their pirate(s) extra loot and being of more use, would also get something. If you only have 4 active companions and one companion 'dies' in battle, and has to be put on bed rest, then you would be prompted to have take another companion off of their task, without completing it, again from the 1st page only.

I have know idea if something like this would work with the new changes in the programming and the system, but I was just trying to throw out a brainstorm and get your opinions on it (both KI staff and players). I know that we have to see everything first hand to give an opinion based on experience, but would and could something like this work?

Bosun
Aug 08, 2012
304
Stormy Autumn on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
NO!

If I wanted to be playing Wizard101 with the ridiculous pet system, that's what I'd be playing. I'm playing Pirate101 because it's easier and more logical and less time wasting on training pets.

Count me as not impressed.

Any cheating bosses will cause me to change games and give up on Pirate101 totally. I had enough trouble with cheating bosses on Wizard.
Sorry to throw you off, but there are cheating bosses in P101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
I do see where you are coming from and it is true that so many enjoy that randomness and element of strategic surprise that comes from random companions appearing in battle. That has been my biggest uncertainty in all of the update news as well. It also, from my reading, has seemed to be the biggest source of concerns and apprehensions for the players and fans of P101.

So, I was wondering if KI would consider this scenario as a possibility- that is if it were even an option with the new mechanics of the advanced companion system.

KI, could there be any possibility within the realm of the new system, that maybe the 1st 2 slots could be guaranteed to show up in battle and the then the last 2 slots would be randomly drawn from your 1st page of companions only (with those companions having an option to perform tasks as well)? If they are on task, then they will not appear in battle. But you would always have to have at least four companions 'active'. Then the 2nd page plus, could be sent on the tasks that I and many others are looking forward to. That way those who want to be guaranteed more than just their 1st mate entering battle would be obliged, those that like the randomness would still get some of it, and those that are looking forward to their mainly idle companions earning their pirate(s) extra loot and being of more use, would also get something. If you only have 4 active companions and one companion 'dies' in battle, and has to be put on bed rest, then you would be prompted to have take another companion off of their task, without completing it, again from the 1st page only.

I have know idea if something like this would work with the new changes in the programming and the system, but I was just trying to throw out a brainstorm and get your opinions on it (both KI staff and players). I know that we have to see everything first hand to give an opinion based on experience, but would and could something like this work?
Like you said Valkoor, trying this out will be what settles us into this the best but I do love your idea. That way those that love that rush of "Who will show up" can have that yet if you are coming up against satyrs all you need to do is to put your witchdoctors onto the second page and no worries about one showing up. It sure feels like a lovely compromise and a truly hope the mechanics are available in the programing department to pull this off. So sorry Ratbeard for throwing a wrench into your fighting dynamics as they are so brilliant. This is just an idea that might keep both sides happy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Elemutation on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
Will we be able to put every companion on missions? I really want to, for I have always wanted a "Solo" mode to play with only my character, and no companions for a challenge.
Now that's an interesting idea. Kind of like reliving those battles promoting the Mag 7 with a quick knocking out mag 7 person and suddenly left with 3 angry ettins and a row full of buffs. But now that I think of that, I think they changed the dynamics and other crew members do show up to help you now.

Developer
Puppylove1021 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Sorry to throw you off, but there are cheating bosses in P101.
Looks like somebody hasn't made it to Rooke yet!

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
Blind Mew on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
Without playing it first?
Of coarse I wanted to play it first, it seems pretty interesting.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Everybody take a deep breath.

You'll be able to try it out soon.

In the meantime, just imagine logging in every day and collecting 2+ pages worth of gold, tomes, loot, and nautical XP from your companions.
Ratbeard, I just wanted to say sorry for trying to hunt you down at the beginning of the game.

~Dead-eye Octavio Devereaux, level 65 Witchdoctor~
~Fearful Zane Parker, level 65 Buccaneer~

Ensign
Nov 22, 2010
27
Oh, I have but the extent of the cheating is nothing compared to what went into Wizard.

At least the logic of the cheats was obvious in Pirate. In Wizard it wasn't.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
Ahoy One-eyed Jack!
I've heard a rumor saying that when we log on on the day of the update we'll get as much training points as we have companions! Is this aphorism true?

~Dead-eye Octavio Devereaux, level 65 Witchdoctor~
~Fearful Zane Parker, level 65 Buccaneer~