The game is too easy...

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
177
As many of us remember in 2013 this game was one of the most fun and epic games out there! But recently I have been noticing a lack of difficulty... Kingsisle I have a question. Why is this game extremely easy now? It makes it hard to have memories of the tough challenges you did with your friends all the time. For example Dusty Arroyo Cave used to have about 11 battles in it i just made a new swashbuckler and got him up to Mooshu when I got to dusty Arroyo cave there was only 3 battles in it? How is this fair for the people who had done a ton of tough battles throughout the game to come back to it being 10x easier... This just makes me sad to know that all my memories with my friends are basically gone now... Another example is Miranda there used to be battles across the whole dungeon wherever you walk... But now there isnt :( Valencia used to be moderately long but now all you do is talk to Steed go to some place else for 10 mins then go to granchia and then you now go to coopers roost. KingsIsle can you please explain to me why this has all occurred it would help out a ton! Thanks!

-Unfair Angel Level 65
-Unfair Angel Level 35

Gunner's Mate
Apr 26, 2009
270
What?

You are basically basing difficulty of the game on length of the game and how many battles there are.

The problem with the arroyo ranch and Miranda is that they were STUPIDLY long with battles completely unnecessary. The game is in a pretty decent state regarding PVE combat right now.

HOWEVER, swashbuckler is pretty darn easy and I would not mind seeing some changes to that class making it a little harder.

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
177
Sorry I hadn't read the moo Manchu update yet this post is useless now :p

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
704
I feel your pain there pirate. I remember how much challenging this game was,those were the best time of my gaming experience.As a buccaneer it was very challenging. Those were the days battling a dozen ships,extra long dungeons and harder boss, are sadly gone. My other pirate characters have a much easier time in cool ranch and took the easy way out. While my Buccaneer have to work really hard, and earned it the hard way. I will miss those days,when the game was very challenging and the instantly heal the companions.

The reason they made the game easier, because other players complain how hard the game was. That's is why it got a lot easier and the companions take longer to heal.On the bright side, at least we get to train our pets and companions get more loots for your pirate(s). ( and more time to focus on other games)

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
64
Unfair Angel on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:
As many of us remember in 2013 this game was one of the most fun and epic games out there! But recently I have been noticing a lack of difficulty... Kingsisle I have a question. Why is this game extremely easy now? It makes it hard to have memories of the tough challenges you did with your friends all the time. For example Dusty Arroyo Cave used to have about 11 battles in it i just made a new swashbuckler and got him up to Mooshu when I got to dusty Arroyo cave there was only 3 battles in it? How is this fair for the people who had done a ton of tough battles throughout the game to come back to it being 10x easier... This just makes me sad to know that all my memories with my friends are basically gone now... Another example is Miranda there used to be battles across the whole dungeon wherever you walk... But now there isnt :( Valencia used to be moderately long but now all you do is talk to Steed go to some place else for 10 mins then go to granchia and then you now go to coopers roost. KingsIsle can you please explain to me why this has all occurred it would help out a ton! Thanks!

-Unfair Angel Level 65
-Unfair Angel Level 35
You memories are still there, noone is taking them away from you :)

If you want the game to more difficult, that's easy, just put most of your companions on tasks just leaving some of your weaker ones to fight.

I havn't been to Valencia for a while, I'll have a character not far off it so will be interesting to see if I notice the same thing you have.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
Unfair Angel on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:
As many of us remember in 2013 this game was one of the most fun and epic games out there! But recently I have been noticing a lack of difficulty... Kingsisle I have a question. Why is this game extremely easy now? It makes it hard to have memories of the tough challenges you did with your friends all the time. For example Dusty Arroyo Cave used to have about 11 battles in it i just made a new swashbuckler and got him up to Mooshu when I got to dusty Arroyo cave there was only 3 battles in it? How is this fair for the people who had done a ton of tough battles throughout the game to come back to it being 10x easier... This just makes me sad to know that all my memories with my friends are basically gone now... Another example is Miranda there used to be battles across the whole dungeon wherever you walk... But now there isnt :( Valencia used to be moderately long but now all you do is talk to Steed go to some place else for 10 mins then go to granchia and then you now go to coopers roost. KingsIsle can you please explain to me why this has all occurred it would help out a ton! Thanks!

-Unfair Angel Level 65
-Unfair Angel Level 35
I think Ratbeard drained the difficulty into the Nefarious Tower. A very tough dungeon

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5743
If they have shortened some battle instances, they have lengthened others. For example two dungeons in MooShu: the Moomori quest has become longer and more of a challenge & the 'Boar to the Core" quest has been made longer and more difficult.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 19, 2012
292
Unfair Angel on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:
As many of us remember in 2013 this game was one of the most fun and epic games out there! But recently I have been noticing a lack of difficulty... Kingsisle I have a question. Why is this game extremely easy now? It makes it hard to have memories of the tough challenges you did with your friends all the time. For example Dusty Arroyo Cave used to have about 11 battles in it i just made a new swashbuckler and got him up to Mooshu when I got to dusty Arroyo cave there was only 3 battles in it? How is this fair for the people who had done a ton of tough battles throughout the game to come back to it being 10x easier... This just makes me sad to know that all my memories with my friends are basically gone now... Another example is Miranda there used to be battles across the whole dungeon wherever you walk... But now there isnt :( Valencia used to be moderately long but now all you do is talk to Steed go to some place else for 10 mins then go to granchia and then you now go to coopers roost. KingsIsle can you please explain to me why this has all occurred it would help out a ton! Thanks!

-Unfair Angel Level 65
-Unfair Angel Level 35
Eh...parts of it are still pretty challenging...if you're doing them at the level that any given part of the storyline was intended for. The first parts of Marleybone are still fairly difficult. The Dragoons on the Isle of Fetch are pretty darn hard for most people. In Aquila, Medusa comes to mind and I don't know anyone who is particularly fond of Manticores, Harpies or Ettins. I find myself helping lots of people, not because they're lazy, (though I'm sure some just want to level secondary characters as quickly as possible) but because they can't make it through certain battles or dungeons without assistance. I soloed the whole game except for the 'Passage' on my second and subsequent pirates. Yes, I admit that I'm too lazy to devote much time to leveling my nautical. On my Swashbuckler, I never asked for help and there were times when I lost a battle and had to go back and try it again. I am fairly certain that I could get a new character through those same battles and dungeons on my first try because I am more experienced now. I do seem to remember a time when there were many complaints on the message boards about the game being too difficult. Maybe KI made it easier...or maybe you've just gotten better. It does seem to me, though, that the Ninja Pigs in the 'kitchen' are much easier now. If the game seems too easy for you, perhaps you should consider equipping lower level gear or choosing lower level companions. Remember that people of all ages play the game...this is made evident to me by some of the tactics I see people using. The game has to be made so that everyone can make it through or some may get discouraged and give up. Also...there's always pvp for those of us who really wish to test ourselves. Fair sailing, friend.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 19, 2012
292
Dead Eye Luke on Oct 12, 2014 wrote:
What?

You are basically basing difficulty of the game on length of the game and how many battles there are.

The problem with the arroyo ranch and Miranda is that they were STUPIDLY long with battles completely unnecessary. The game is in a pretty decent state regarding PVE combat right now.

HOWEVER, swashbuckler is pretty darn easy and I would not mind seeing some changes to that class making it a little harder.
Quit being a Swashbuckler hater, Luke. This class has drawbacks just like every other class. I've played them all, sir and trying to make it through with the tiny bit of health and armor we Swashbucklers have is no easy task. I had more of a challenge making it through with my Swashbuckler than I did with my Musketeer. Musketeers are much more versatile than Swashbucklers. The 'simple' nature of the Swashbuckler class actually makes them harder to play, because if your one strategy of 'rush in and kill the enemy' doesn't work...you have nothing to fall back on. Of course that strategy usually works pretty well. Anyway, Privy's can buff and heal their whole team over and over again. Bucks have great armor and health and can spam shields all day long and do almost as much damage as Swashbucklers. Muskets have traps, bombs and along with the Witches a ton of potent multi-target attacks. All we Swashbucklers have is an attitude and lots and lots of style. Did I mention that we Swashbucklers have style? I reckon I did. If we Swashbucklers fail...and sometimes, believe it or not, we do...at least we look cool doing it. I know you will point to Black Fog as the cause of all your concern. It does not make us invincible. It does not make our companions invincible. Most of the time abilities like Repel Boarders and Overwatch etc. cause companions to attack before we had intended, thus ending any advantage Black Fog gave us. The Hidden power is available to all classes. Yes you would have to give up a gear slot to get the good one, but Swashbucklers have to devote gear slots to heals and shields etc. that other classes just get from their trainers. If Black Fog is the only thing that is causing this unnatural resentment you have toward us kind and benevolent Swashbucklers...I don't know what to tell you.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 26, 2009
270
Spiral Cowboy on Oct 14, 2014 wrote:
Quit being a Swashbuckler hater, Luke. This class has drawbacks just like every other class. I've played them all, sir and trying to make it through with the tiny bit of health and armor we Swashbucklers have is no easy task. I had more of a challenge making it through with my Swashbuckler than I did with my Musketeer. Musketeers are much more versatile than Swashbucklers. The 'simple' nature of the Swashbuckler class actually makes them harder to play, because if your one strategy of 'rush in and kill the enemy' doesn't work...you have nothing to fall back on. Of course that strategy usually works pretty well. Anyway, Privy's can buff and heal their whole team over and over again. Bucks have great armor and health and can spam shields all day long and do almost as much damage as Swashbucklers. Muskets have traps, bombs and along with the Witches a ton of potent multi-target attacks. All we Swashbucklers have is an attitude and lots and lots of style. Did I mention that we Swashbucklers have style? I reckon I did. If we Swashbucklers fail...and sometimes, believe it or not, we do...at least we look cool doing it. I know you will point to Black Fog as the cause of all your concern. It does not make us invincible. It does not make our companions invincible. Most of the time abilities like Repel Boarders and Overwatch etc. cause companions to attack before we had intended, thus ending any advantage Black Fog gave us. The Hidden power is available to all classes. Yes you would have to give up a gear slot to get the good one, but Swashbucklers have to devote gear slots to heals and shields etc. that other classes just get from their trainers. If Black Fog is the only thing that is causing this unnatural resentment you have toward us kind and benevolent Swashbucklers...I don't know what to tell you.
And regarding the fail part, half of the game, if not the whole game is based on luck.

A couple super hits will completely ruin any player of any skill level.

And it's basically the same with swashbuckler, you are basically rolling a die every round you attack, (please miss me please miss me!) You bring up the point (rush in and kill the enemy?) if that doesn't work.. Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. If IT DOES work and all your companions just randomly get crits and ripostes, there is literally no coming back. The class is either stupidly stupid, or stupidly deadly. Basically rephrasing, swashbuckler is not "easy" as in "hey look a battle, hey look no battle no more", but can require a lot less strategy or thinking ahead than the other classes, and follows the same exact template every single match. Hide, strike, hopefully kill everything and everyone, or fail massively and fly away like a majestic eagle. You make the point of privy being able to buff his companions over and over and they can! But you know who else is affected by that? Every single class, maybe all except buck who is pretty reliant on his auto hits enough so he can just as easily negate the heal. But with witch? Musket? What do you do when a power was just negated? Same deal for every class.

The hidden spells do not make you invincible, at all, but it sometimes is pretty dang cheap you can practically turn the tide better than any buccaneer with a simple hidden and crit, and your enemies cannot do anything about it! Sure there may be the super ultra rare witchdoctor enemy that actually can hit you, but how often does that occur, and boy do those witches hurt!

Making the PVP argument here, swashbuckler vs musketeer. What do you do when the enemy team gets black fogged? Drop some bombs and prepare yourself for doom? You can do NOTHING. Again the argument being hit by an AoE, can be completely negated by just how fast swashbucklers are, at a high-ish level they can traverse the earth. You can just put up your fists and say "whelp, nice knowing ya"

I did not say that Swashbuckler was op. I said it was easy, and you make it sound like i posted "swashiebuk op pls remove" It follows the same "roll the die" template every single battle, as with other classes, perhaps excluding buck. you have to adapt to your situation. Privateer's buffs were nerfed and his crew has to usually fight on the same terms as the other team, except a man down, but with heals, witch must use the powers he has up to his advantage, and must save ones for the correct situation. Musket's powers I feel are very "precious" getting only 4 actually decent multi hit spells, musket auto's are quite weak, not even getting an offensive epic (aside from double tap)

So in conclusion, swashbuckler is not easy as i said above "you gets a win, you gets a win, everybody gets a win!" Its more about having a lower "skill-cap" than the other classes mostly being reliant on luck (more than the other classes) OUT OF SPA

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5743
Dead Eye Luke on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
And regarding the fail part, half of the game, if not the whole game is based on luck.

A couple super hits will completely ruin any player of any skill level.

And it's basically the same with swashbuckler, you are basically rolling a die every round you attack, (please miss me please miss me!) You bring up the point (rush in and kill the enemy?) if that doesn't work.. Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. If IT DOES work and all your companions just randomly get crits and ripostes, there is literally no coming back. The class is either stupidly stupid, or stupidly deadly. Basically rephrasing, swashbuckler is not "easy" as in "hey look a battle, hey look no battle no more", but can require a lot less strategy or thinking ahead than the other classes, and follows the same exact template every single match. Hide, strike, hopefully kill everything and everyone, or fail massively and fly away like a majestic eagle. You make the point of privy being able to buff his companions over and over and they can! But you know who else is affected by that? Every single class, maybe all except buck who is pretty reliant on his auto hits enough so he can just as easily negate the heal. But with witch? Musket? What do you do when a power was just negated? Same deal for every class.

The hidden spells do not make you invincible, at all, but it sometimes is pretty dang cheap you can practically turn the tide better than any buccaneer with a simple hidden and crit, and your enemies cannot do anything about it! Sure there may be the super ultra rare witchdoctor enemy that actually can hit you, but how often does that occur, and boy do those witches hurt!

Making the PVP argument here, swashbuckler vs musketeer. What do you do when the enemy team gets black fogged? Drop some bombs and prepare yourself for doom? You can do NOTHING. Again the argument being hit by an AoE, can be completely negated by just how fast swashbucklers are, at a high-ish level they can traverse the earth. You can just put up your fists and say "whelp, nice knowing ya"

I did not say that Swashbuckler was op. I said it was easy, and you make it sound like i posted "swashiebuk op pls remove" It follows the same "roll the die" template every single battle, as with other classes, perhaps excluding buck. you have to adapt to your situation. Privateer's buffs were nerfed and his crew has to usually fight on the same terms as the other team, except a man down, but with heals, witch must use the powers he has up to his advantage, and must save ones for the correct situation. Musket's powers I feel are very "precious" getting only 4 actually decent multi hit spells, musket auto's are quite weak, not even getting an offensive epic (aside from double tap)

So in conclusion, swashbuckler is not easy as i said above "you gets a win, you gets a win, everybody gets a win!" Its more about having a lower "skill-cap" than the other classes mostly being reliant on luck (more than the other classes) OUT OF SPA
Please stick to the topic. If you want to debate the "swashbuckler is too op" make another post in the spar chamber.

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
Unfair Angel on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:
As many of us remember in 2013 this game was one of the most fun and epic games out there! But recently I have been noticing a lack of difficulty... Kingsisle I have a question. Why is this game extremely easy now? It makes it hard to have memories of the tough challenges you did with your friends all the time. For example Dusty Arroyo Cave used to have about 11 battles in it i just made a new swashbuckler and got him up to Mooshu when I got to dusty Arroyo cave there was only 3 battles in it? How is this fair for the people who had done a ton of tough battles throughout the game to come back to it being 10x easier... This just makes me sad to know that all my memories with my friends are basically gone now... Another example is Miranda there used to be battles across the whole dungeon wherever you walk... But now there isnt :( Valencia used to be moderately long but now all you do is talk to Steed go to some place else for 10 mins then go to granchia and then you now go to coopers roost. KingsIsle can you please explain to me why this has all occurred it would help out a ton! Thanks!

-Unfair Angel Level 65
-Unfair Angel Level 35
Hi there, and good question. so yu are saying that they shortened the game quests, making the game shorter, and destroying your memories? well i have noticed that they changed up a few skull island side quests, but i never knew that they changed miranda or valencia, but i'm sure they had their reasons.

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
Rachel Dreamsong on Oct 13, 2014 wrote:
I think Ratbeard drained the difficulty into the Nefarious Tower. A very tough dungeon
i dont think so, tower is extremely easy, if it was possible to skip all the move animations it could be done by a team of 2 in less then an hour

Gunner's Mate
Apr 19, 2012
292
Dead Eye Luke on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
And regarding the fail part, half of the game, if not the whole game is based on luck.

A couple super hits will completely ruin any player of any skill level.

And it's basically the same with swashbuckler, you are basically rolling a die every round you attack, (please miss me please miss me!) You bring up the point (rush in and kill the enemy?) if that doesn't work.. Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. If IT DOES work and all your companions just randomly get crits and ripostes, there is literally no coming back. The class is either stupidly stupid, or stupidly deadly. Basically rephrasing, swashbuckler is not "easy" as in "hey look a battle, hey look no battle no more", but can require a lot less strategy or thinking ahead than the other classes, and follows the same exact template every single match. Hide, strike, hopefully kill everything and everyone, or fail massively and fly away like a majestic eagle. You make the point of privy being able to buff his companions over and over and they can! But you know who else is affected by that? Every single class, maybe all except buck who is pretty reliant on his auto hits enough so he can just as easily negate the heal. But with witch? Musket? What do you do when a power was just negated? Same deal for every class.

The hidden spells do not make you invincible, at all, but it sometimes is pretty dang cheap you can practically turn the tide better than any buccaneer with a simple hidden and crit, and your enemies cannot do anything about it! Sure there may be the super ultra rare witchdoctor enemy that actually can hit you, but how often does that occur, and boy do those witches hurt!

Making the PVP argument here, swashbuckler vs musketeer. What do you do when the enemy team gets black fogged? Drop some bombs and prepare yourself for doom? You can do NOTHING. Again the argument being hit by an AoE, can be completely negated by just how fast swashbucklers are, at a high-ish level they can traverse the earth. You can just put up your fists and say "whelp, nice knowing ya"

I did not say that Swashbuckler was op. I said it was easy, and you make it sound like i posted "swashiebuk op pls remove" It follows the same "roll the die" template every single battle, as with other classes, perhaps excluding buck. you have to adapt to your situation. Privateer's buffs were nerfed and his crew has to usually fight on the same terms as the other team, except a man down, but with heals, witch must use the powers he has up to his advantage, and must save ones for the correct situation. Musket's powers I feel are very "precious" getting only 4 actually decent multi hit spells, musket auto's are quite weak, not even getting an offensive epic (aside from double tap)

So in conclusion, swashbuckler is not easy as i said above "you gets a win, you gets a win, everybody gets a win!" Its more about having a lower "skill-cap" than the other classes mostly being reliant on luck (more than the other classes) OUT OF SPA
Again I must disagree, sir. Which is easier? Building a house with a full set of tools? Or using just a hammer and some duct tape? Muskets, Privys and Witches have much more to choose from. Swashbucklers are quite limited and even one mistake can spell doom for them. Perhaps it is the subtle nuances of the Swashbuckler class that you fail to see. The game within the game. When I play my Musketeer or Witchdoctor I can pick and choose what power I want to use. As a Swashbuckler I have to be much more precise. Also, remember that defense is as much a part of the game as offense. I will say that it is difficult for me to determine whether or not the game was easier for me to get through with my Musket and Witch because of the classes themselves or because of the fact that I was more familiar with the enemies due to having faced them with my Swashbuckler first. My Musket and Witch were able to breeze through parts of the game that my Buckler struggled with. I know that you have a pirate from each class just like I do. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Getting back to the original post that started this, I think the game seems easier in general just because we are more familiar with it now, but I have noticed that certain bosses and dungeons are not as difficult as they used to be. The level of difficulty has obviously been changed for some parts of the game. Like I said, though, we are able to adjust the level of difficulty ourselves by choosing different gear and companions and I do this often. I went through most of Marleybone and Aquila with my Witchdoctor using only undead companions and it did make it much more challenging. For those of you wishing for the ultimate challenge I would recommend using only companions named Scott or Mister Giggles.

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
960
It has gotten easier in some parts and I do agree it's a shame but the game developers have a right to change it as they see fit. As for swashbucklers it's not up for you to decided how they "should play". Don't worry about pvp yet it's not in it's final stage.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5743
zuto4011a on Oct 18, 2014 wrote:
i dont think so, tower is extremely easy, if it was possible to skip all the move animations it could be done by a team of 2 in less then an hour
Experience and gear dropped in this tower is now making it "easier" for those zealously farming it. Still, I never would call the Tower "easy" ( and I don't know anyone who thinks that the terror-cotta warriors are a piece of cake! )

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
zuto4011a on Oct 18, 2014 wrote:
i dont think so, tower is extremely easy, if it was possible to skip all the move animations it could be done by a team of 2 in less then an hour
I must once again disagree with Zuto!

If a person farms or gets the best possible gear and weapon in the game, uses doubloons, has a great pet and uses the best companions that are fully trained, yes the game should be easy! You have earned the right to be all powerful, you have taken the time and put in the effort. At the same time, you can also make it more difficult for yourself...

You don't have to use doubloons, they are optional, see how hard it gets without using them...

You don't have to use the best companions, you have a wide variety of companions, try using different tier companions.

You don't have to use the best gear and weapon in the game, try being versatile, challenge yourself...

The game is as easy or as hard as you make it, there is no TOO Easy or TOO hard, the choice is yours, that is what makes this game exceptional!

Ensign
Feb 09, 2013
4
Monkrinx2024 on Oct 13, 2014 wrote:
I feel your pain there pirate. I remember how much challenging this game was,those were the best time of my gaming experience.As a buccaneer it was very challenging. Those were the days battling a dozen ships,extra long dungeons and harder boss, are sadly gone. My other pirate characters have a much easier time in cool ranch and took the easy way out. While my Buccaneer have to work really hard, and earned it the hard way. I will miss those days,when the game was very challenging and the instantly heal the companions.

The reason they made the game easier, because other players complain how hard the game was. That's is why it got a lot easier and the companions take longer to heal.On the bright side, at least we get to train our pets and companions get more loots for your pirate(s). ( and more time to focus on other games)
I was kind of sad that kings isle made that update I miss those days too. I have a max lvl witchdoctor and it took me a month to pass the game in summer. It took my privateer and swashbuckler like a week now :(

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
Eh... I think the difficulty is ok. I made my pirate (Privateer) a couple months after the game came out and I have soloed almost everything. I think they should just increase the overall difficulty slightly. The game has been a breeze on all my pirates so far. (I have one of every class.) I've never really been in a fight (yet) where it's been a real challenge. Not including Moo Manchu.