Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbuckler's Weapon Of Choice

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 14, 2008
Today I read the July Newsletter (quite excited for the upcoming hinted future) and I saw in Vadima's Visions that "86% of both Buccaneers and Swashbucklers favor Slashy" weapons. For my entire time being a swashbuckler I have used stabby weapons, seeing as my agility of 106 greatly boosts it. However, have I been completely wrong about which weapons we use this entire time? My fellow swashbucklers, what type of weapon do you use and why? Am I really part of a small group that actually uses stabby weapons?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
PiratePrincesa on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Today I read the July Newsletter (quite excited for the upcoming hinted future) and I saw in Vadima's Visions that "86% of both Buccaneers and Swashbucklers favor Slashy" weapons. For my entire time being a swashbuckler I have used stabby weapons, seeing as my agility of 106 greatly boosts it. However, have I been completely wrong about which weapons we use this entire time? My fellow swashbucklers, what type of weapon do you use and why? Am I really part of a small group that actually uses stabby weapons?

I prefer stabby weapons on my Swashbuckler because it greatly benefits from my agility boost that Fan Flander gives.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ahoy, Pirateprincesa, and welcome! As a swashie, I prefer to use a combo slashy/stabby. ( The blades of Shade, for example ). It's just the style of combat you prefer, whatever works for you and gives you the best advantages you need!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009

Hey Princesa!

I believe they favor Slashy weapons in part of a Slashy/Stabby combo. These weapons utilize the Agility of the pirate, more specifically, the Swashbuckler. If you train Slashy 1 and 2 from the Privateer trainer, you get an additional 8 damage to a Slashy/Stabby combo. These combos also grant the user some armor and armor piercing. As of right now, the strongest Slashy/Stabby combo are the Blades of Shade, dropped by Cadmus.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Hi Princesa, Welcome to the message boards. My Swashy uses either Stabby or a Stabby combo like Stabby/Slashy or Stabby/Smashy. As long as Stabby is in the mix your bonus will work just fine.

Ensign
Dec 14, 2008
Thanks everyone for the input!
I feel a lot more comfortable with my Stabby weapons now, but perhaps farming Cadmus for the Blades of Shade is something I should look into. My weapon power is only 355 with Stabby weapons, so maybe I should expand my horizons with a Slashy/Stabby combo. Too bad those are the only combo available for the high levels, it'd be nice if there was something like those blades in the bazaar.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
It might also be related to the statement, "so it’s not surprising to find Slashy, Smashy and Stabby weapon talents are highly coveted for the Pirate that doesn’t come by it naturally."

I don't believe natural talents were highlighted in that segment. In other words, besides stabby (which is natural) which talents did Swashbucklers spend points on? Separately, I highly doubt 70% of Witchdoctors prefer a slashy weapon over staffy, but likely 70% of Witchdoctors prefer slashy as a secondary weapon skill (when staffy isn't as effective).