Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Recommendation to prevent loss of progress?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
Hoping to use “best practices” in the future, please tell me what is the best way to “save frequently” in order to avoid hours of lost character progress in the event of a computer crash or freeze?

Is character data saved on your server, or on my own computer? Does Exit to Character Selection save the character data, or is Exit to Desktop required, or is there a better way?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
SaltyMolly on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Hoping to use “best practices” in the future, please tell me what is the best way to “save frequently” in order to avoid hours of lost character progress in the event of a computer crash or freeze?

Is character data saved on your server, or on my own computer? Does Exit to Character Selection save the character data, or is Exit to Desktop required, or is there a better way?
Hi Molly, Great name by the way. Your progress is saved on the servers. In fact a few times when my computer crashed and I had to do a reboot, when I logged back on I found out my team had finished the fight without me. It is always better to close the game using the exit screen but if something freezes there are no worries. You may have to start a dungeon over but everything else is saved.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
Thank you, Chrissy. I'd just had an incident where Chrome crashed during an alt-tab look-up, forcing me to do a hard restart. As a result, my character level and traits/powers no longer matched the server, and it was a mess. I just deleted her because she'g only been level 7, but in the future I don't want to lose hours of playtime, so I'm hoping that saving frequently to desktop will help. I've never found a fix to the Chrome problem, so I anticipate this happening again. I did make a ticket, but had deleted her before they were able to get to me.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
SaltyMolly on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Thank you, Chrissy. I'd just had an incident where Chrome crashed during an alt-tab look-up, forcing me to do a hard restart. As a result, my character level and traits/powers no longer matched the server, and it was a mess. I just deleted her because she'g only been level 7, but in the future I don't want to lose hours of playtime, so I'm hoping that saving frequently to desktop will help. I've never found a fix to the Chrome problem, so I anticipate this happening again. I did make a ticket, but had deleted her before they were able to get to me.
I get the Alt-Tab crashes all the time too but I wasn't aware that it was Chrome related. I have crashed just going to Windows Explorer to look at a screenshot. Although it is possible I also had Chrome running too so you may be right. With all my crashes I have never had a pirate change stats though. That sounds like a pretty rare bug.