Rat Beards insanely too long promo

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
Having completed the game, and all the quests, I realized I still had Ratbeard at a low level 24. I thought why not train him up to max level and do his promotion.
WOW.
A whole two days later(mind you, I don't play non-stop, I do have a life) I finally finished this insanely too long quest for a companion that isn't really worth it. Granted he's good when you're low level, but he becomes to grow weaker and weaker as new companions come along. So WHY was this quest so lengthy?

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
70
It just happens to be that when you promote dudes at higher levels, they have longer promotion quests.
When I was promoting Buffalo Bill on my Swashbuckler, it took me a WEEK just to get 1 epic and a new look.
Waste of time. Ratbeard DOES get a awesome new ability thing, though, not making his promotion completely useless.

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
114
Well gents, all I have to say is that the promotion quests are MEANT to be long. We don't really need promotion quests, as, according to head writer Blind Mew, they were originally going to be 'gimme gold' and maybe a goal attached to that, but they are very good for adding a whole lot of depth to the game.

Ratbeard's second promotion quest, 'A Pirate Most Fowl', is a personal favorite of mine and it's supposed to be a revenge story, with Ratbeard finally finding the man who killed his crew (SPOILER ALERT) Captain Fowl. So, to me at least, it makes a lot of sense for it to be quite long, as are the other promotion quests. Other long, deep-story ones that come to mind are (STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW)....

'The Great Khan Game' for Subodai
'V is for Vulpine' for Bonnie Anne
'The Conundrums of War' for Lucky Jack Russell
'One Foot Through the Door' for Old Scratch

So yeah, without these long, story promotion quests a lot of the storyline companions, who I shall add are still characters in the game who speak and argue and have insight on the quest to El Dorado, are quite dull.

Ensign
Apr 21, 2009
25
Sometimes the journey is it's own reward.

I think of the promotion quests as a chance to get to know my crew and enjoy some good storytelling along the way.

If you're only concerned with how quick you can get it done and how many epics you get out of it then you're really missing half of the experience.

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
I should have mentioned it was Ratbeards last promotion. The borrowed Scrooge story. The annoying quest after quest that led to entirely too much traveling just to speak to someone that set you onto another long journey, just to talk to someone, that set you onto a long journey, just to talk to someone just to - eh, you get the idea. The promo was more aggravating than entertaining, even if it had it's highlights. And the end result is a companion I still have ranked on my second page of favorites.
Ratbeard, being one of the tough guys at first is a huge disappointment in the end, is my point. Why isn't he tougher? He's extremely weak for a buccaneer class.

Captain
May 16, 2011
553
TravisJones74 on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
I should have mentioned it was Ratbeards last promotion. The borrowed Scrooge story. The annoying quest after quest that led to entirely too much traveling just to speak to someone that set you onto another long journey, just to talk to someone, that set you onto a long journey, just to talk to someone just to - eh, you get the idea. The promo was more aggravating than entertaining, even if it had it's highlights. And the end result is a companion I still have ranked on my second page of favorites.
Ratbeard, being one of the tough guys at first is a huge disappointment in the end, is my point. Why isn't he tougher? He's extremely weak for a buccaneer class.
Though I did find the promo quest really entertaining, I do agree with you. If Ratbeard could learn Vengeance Strike or Relentless, THEN he would be a force to reckon with.

Developer
So you finished the game, and then you went back and discovered an additional two days of deep story content to play.

And that's... something to complain about?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
TravisJones74 on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
I should have mentioned it was Ratbeards last promotion. The borrowed Scrooge story. The annoying quest after quest that led to entirely too much traveling just to speak to someone that set you onto another long journey, just to talk to someone, that set you onto a long journey, just to talk to someone just to - eh, you get the idea. The promo was more aggravating than entertaining, even if it had it's highlights. And the end result is a companion I still have ranked on my second page of favorites.
Ratbeard, being one of the tough guys at first is a huge disappointment in the end, is my point. Why isn't he tougher? He's extremely weak for a buccaneer class.
I am sorry you didn't like it. It is one of my favorite promotions. I laughed my self silly and had a great time with the quest. I love the promotion quests and really look forward to them. I get to spend some quality one on one time with my crew member and I get to watch them grow and I also get to learn more about them. I think the game is Much richer because of them.
Well done writers

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
70
Ratbeard on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
So you finished the game, and then you went back and discovered an additional two days of deep story content to play.

And that's... something to complain about?
Ratbeard,
I see...
Um, yeah, it's a waste of 2 days time.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Ratbeard on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
So you finished the game, and then you went back and discovered an additional two days of deep story content to play.

And that's... something to complain about?
Not to me. I've no complaints about them. I find Ratbeard's promotion quests to be very amazing! He's still a good Companion in any crew, no matter what anybody says. Even his third promo quest was excellent, too, albeit lacking much of Gracie Conrad's involvement in it as she was recruited in Marleybone in Book 13. She should have said at least a few lines in his third promo quest. Other than that, Ratbeard is still one of the best Companions in any Pirate crew!

Community Leader
I dont think its too long...
The main frustration I had was the travelling world to world and back again... and again.
Transportalators sure made that a bit smoother though.

LOL Having done it several times before they (transportalators) were added to the game, I used to dread some of the promotions myself. But things have definately improved.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Jan 04, 2013
19
TravisJones74 on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
Having completed the game, and all the quests, I realized I still had Ratbeard at a low level 24. I thought why not train him up to max level and do his promotion.
WOW.
A whole two days later(mind you, I don't play non-stop, I do have a life) I finally finished this insanely too long quest for a companion that isn't really worth it. Granted he's good when you're low level, but he becomes to grow weaker and weaker as new companions come along. So WHY was this quest so lengthy?
Simple as this, the higher the level, the longer the promotion, but I did Ratbeards promotions. and it took me half an hour.

Ensign
Oct 30, 2012
39
Ratbeard, amen.

Silver Luis Cog L65 ( At leisure)
Griffin Kidd L24

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
Ratbeard on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
So you finished the game, and then you went back and discovered an additional two days of deep story content to play.

And that's... something to complain about?
Don't be so sensitive. The point is, Ratbeard should be A LOT tougher after such labor. He ranks on page 2 of my companions when ranked by damage. I like the character, but he should be a force to be reckoned with after his ongoing story line in the game. Sorry.

Ensign
Oct 17, 2012
17
Ratbeard's 3rd Promotion only took me 30 minutes, it's not long, it's fun and funny, so is Bonnie's 3rd as well.
This is nothing to take 2 days. Yes the Magnificent Seven companions promotion is long, but it's fun and worth it to explore, look at awesome sites among the world, and you get to put your brain to the max, for strategy, for thinking what your going to do. Plus the upgraded companions are beastly. Don't complain about these promotions you can't do in under 30 minutes, that is just crazy, 2 days complete a promotion, lies.

Kyle - Level 65 Privateer
Cyrus - Level 9 Swashbuckler

Ensign
Oct 30, 2012
39
You don't pick a companion for damage alone. You pick a companion for it's stamina and endurance through various battles as well. I personally think that Ratbeard's at his final tier is a great example of that quality.

Silver Luis Cog L65
Griffin Kidd L24

Developer
TravisJones74 on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
Don't be so sensitive. The point is, Ratbeard should be A LOT tougher after such labor. He ranks on page 2 of my companions when ranked by damage. I like the character, but he should be a force to be reckoned with after his ongoing story line in the game. Sorry.
He is a force to be reckoned with. He's just not a damage dealer-- that's not his forte. Sorry.

There are other metrics to companions besides damage.

Administrator
Thanks for everyone's feedback and discussion.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*