Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Questions for Dockmaster Dan

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
On a previous thread I asked, "How are ship-to-ship attacks calculated by the computer? What factors are involved and how do they weigh in the algorithm?"
You graciously answered, “For ship to ship attacks we first calculate if the attack hits. The chance to hit is based on the power used. This chance is further affected by the attacker's Accuracy and the defender's Defense.

For calculating damage we start with the ship Damage stat. This amount is then modified by the power used and the defender's Armor"

Thank you very much for your helpful answer to my question; and for designing a fun, real time broadside combat system. Of course, your answer helps me frame more specific questions:
1. What factors go into the attacker's Accuracy?
We know from the Ship Equipment Page how much base Accuracy (from ship type), cannon, ship's wheel, and sail powers affect Accuracy.
From experience, I guess that The difference between attacker's and defender's nautical levels, whether the attacker is moving when he fires, and defender's position relative to the attacker also affect accuracy.
2. What factors go into the defender's Defense?
We know from the Ship Equipment Page how much base Defense (from ship type), armor, and sail powers affect Defense.
From experience, I guess that The difference between attacker's and defender's nautical levels, and whether the defender is moving when he is fired upon affect Defense.

Would you please confirm or deny, add to (if there are others), and quantify these covert factors?
3. Are there any covert factors to damage calculation?
This seems straightforward:ship Damage stat. x power factor (x1 for cannon) - Armor = Damage

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Row4n412 on Oct 20, 2013 wrote:
On a previous thread I asked, "How are ship-to-ship attacks calculated by the computer? What factors are involved and how do they weigh in the algorithm?"
You graciously answered, “For ship to ship attacks we first calculate if the attack hits. The chance to hit is based on the power used. This chance is further affected by the attacker's Accuracy and the defender's Defense.

For calculating damage we start with the ship Damage stat. This amount is then modified by the power used and the defender's Armor"

Thank you very much for your helpful answer to my question; and for designing a fun, real time broadside combat system. Of course, your answer helps me frame more specific questions:
1. What factors go into the attacker's Accuracy?
We know from the Ship Equipment Page how much base Accuracy (from ship type), cannon, ship's wheel, and sail powers affect Accuracy.
From experience, I guess that The difference between attacker's and defender's nautical levels, whether the attacker is moving when he fires, and defender's position relative to the attacker also affect accuracy.
2. What factors go into the defender's Defense?
We know from the Ship Equipment Page how much base Defense (from ship type), armor, and sail powers affect Defense.
From experience, I guess that The difference between attacker's and defender's nautical levels, and whether the defender is moving when he is fired upon affect Defense.

Would you please confirm or deny, add to (if there are others), and quantify these covert factors?
3. Are there any covert factors to damage calculation?
This seems straightforward:ship Damage stat. x power factor (x1 for cannon) - Armor = Damage
Wow you are truly a thinker. Really great questions.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I was wondering some of that too. Specifically, does it really help to sail around and try to dodge incoming fire and maybe reduce damage taken? If the hits are already calculated before the enemy fires, then maybe I'm fooling myself and ought just anchor and fire. It does seem to me also, that there must be some advantage in trying to avoid incoming fire and be still when firing on the enemy.

Administrator
I forwarded these questions to Dockmaster Dan and unfortunately we can't elaborate to the detail you are looking for. Sorry we can't give any more specifics.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*