Question about hidden from friends option!

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Hello to anyone kind enough to read and respond to this.

The purpose of this post is to ask a few general question about the 'hidden from friends' option in the advanced game options tab. It would be wonderful to hear from One-eyed Jack or another administrator.

I have been playing pirate101 for months now and stumbled upon something that I am sure most players already knew. I had just recently earned the Mystic Mooshu badge where you are rewarded the imperial lion pet. I wanted to proudly display my new reward so I went to the options menu (something I had not done in a long time) to have my faithful pet follow me instead of my first mate. That's when I saw for the first time the choice to be 'hidden from friends'.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does this mean that you do not appear on your friends' list when both of you are logged on?

2. When you have this option on can your friends see you if you happen to run into each other in same area?

3. When friending someone new with this option on, will you immediately become hidden to them if either you or they accept friend request?

4. Can you port to a friend with this option on and still be hidden?

5. Can you enter into battle with a friend and still be hidden? (I would think this one is definitely a nar)

Now I know you may be asking, what are you trying to hide from? What are you trying to escape from? Why have friends if you are going to shun them and act as if you don't exist. Well, actually my asking these questions come from trying to be courteous to my fellow pirate friends.

I love to help out my pirate buddies in their times of need and will almost always go out of my way to lend them a helping hook. Sometimes this leads to hours of helping each day for several days (even weeks) in a row. I almost always put off my quests to run off to aid a friend in battle- I just can't say no. This being said it would be nice if once in a while I could just slip off going unnoticed and take care of a 2-3 week old quest. It's not trying to hide but rather just remain incognito for a little while to accomplish a task or two.

But at the same time I am not rude by nature and still would not want to offend anyone if I in fact was not truly hidden from friends. If it means that my pirate is 100% hidden, then it would be nice to know that I could be a little selfish without worrying about rejecting anyone's request for help.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Thanks so much

- Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen, level 65

Administrator
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
Hello to anyone kind enough to read and respond to this.

The purpose of this post is to ask a few general question about the 'hidden from friends' option in the advanced game options tab. It would be wonderful to hear from One-eyed Jack or another administrator.

I have been playing pirate101 for months now and stumbled upon something that I am sure most players already knew. I had just recently earned the Mystic Mooshu badge where you are rewarded the imperial lion pet. I wanted to proudly display my new reward so I went to the options menu (something I had not done in a long time) to have my faithful pet follow me instead of my first mate. That's when I saw for the first time the choice to be 'hidden from friends'.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does this mean that you do not appear on your friends' list when both of you are logged on?

2. When you have this option on can your friends see you if you happen to run into each other in same area?

3. When friending someone new with this option on, will you immediately become hidden to them if either you or they accept friend request?

4. Can you port to a friend with this option on and still be hidden?

5. Can you enter into battle with a friend and still be hidden? (I would think this one is definitely a nar)

Now I know you may be asking, what are you trying to hide from? What are you trying to escape from? Why have friends if you are going to shun them and act as if you don't exist. Well, actually my asking these questions come from trying to be courteous to my fellow pirate friends.

I love to help out my pirate buddies in their times of need and will almost always go out of my way to lend them a helping hook. Sometimes this leads to hours of helping each day for several days (even weeks) in a row. I almost always put off my quests to run off to aid a friend in battle- I just can't say no. This being said it would be nice if once in a while I could just slip off going unnoticed and take care of a 2-3 week old quest. It's not trying to hide but rather just remain incognito for a little while to accomplish a task or two.

But at the same time I am not rude by nature and still would not want to offend anyone if I in fact was not truly hidden from friends. If it means that my pirate is 100% hidden, then it would be nice to know that I could be a little selfish without worrying about rejecting anyone's request for help.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Thanks so much

- Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen, level 65
HI! This is a feature we brought to Pirate101 that was first introduced to Wizard101 back in May 2011.

1- From those original Wizard101 Update Notes: "A new feature in the Options Menu is the ability to set yourself to be Hidden from Friends. If you set this option, your friends panel will not be accessible and you will not appear as being online to your friends. To turn this option off, you can simply click on your friends panel to become available again."

2- Yes

3- It would only be one way, in that they would send you a friend request, but you would not be able to send a friend request because your friends panel is no longer accessible when the feature is turned on. Yes, you wouldn't be seen on their Friend's List.

4- No, your friend panel is unavailable for you to be able to port to them.

5- Yes, it only hides you from the friend's list . . . it doesn't make you appear invisible to them.

Hope that helps!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
HI! This is a feature we brought to Pirate101 that was first introduced to Wizard101 back in May 2011.

1- From those original Wizard101 Update Notes: "A new feature in the Options Menu is the ability to set yourself to be Hidden from Friends. If you set this option, your friends panel will not be accessible and you will not appear as being online to your friends. To turn this option off, you can simply click on your friends panel to become available again."

2- Yes

3- It would only be one way, in that they would send you a friend request, but you would not be able to send a friend request because your friends panel is no longer accessible when the feature is turned on. Yes, you wouldn't be seen on their Friend's List.

4- No, your friend panel is unavailable for you to be able to port to them.

5- Yes, it only hides you from the friend's list . . . it doesn't make you appear invisible to them.

Hope that helps!
Thanks a bunch, Jack!

This does indeed help clear things up for me and I appreciate the detailed answers to each question, not to mention the quick response.

I was confused a bit because even though the hidden from friends icon appeared in the upper right on screen (stating click to cancel hidden from friends), you could still hit the F key and your friends list would pop up listing all online friends, then hit the F key to drop friends list- yet the hidden icon still remained on screen. I wasn't sure if by hitting F key to bring up list (while hidden) you could still port to friends or send chat or if it would cancel the hidden from friends when you clicked F. (sorry- that sounds a bit confusing, I hope you can understand what I mean)

I guess that should have been one of the questions I asked too! If you have any insight on this, I would love and appreciate you sharing it

If not thanks, again for the help.

Administrator
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
Thanks a bunch, Jack!

This does indeed help clear things up for me and I appreciate the detailed answers to each question, not to mention the quick response.

I was confused a bit because even though the hidden from friends icon appeared in the upper right on screen (stating click to cancel hidden from friends), you could still hit the F key and your friends list would pop up listing all online friends, then hit the F key to drop friends list- yet the hidden icon still remained on screen. I wasn't sure if by hitting F key to bring up list (while hidden) you could still port to friends or send chat or if it would cancel the hidden from friends when you clicked F. (sorry- that sounds a bit confusing, I hope you can understand what I mean)

I guess that should have been one of the questions I asked too! If you have any insight on this, I would love and appreciate you sharing it

If not thanks, again for the help.
Good point. The "F" hotkey doesn't work like it does in Wizard101 when you're hidden to friends.

Also, regarding #3 -- it appears you *can* click on someone to add them as a friend while hidden to friends. Good to know!

Thanks!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
You can also privately chat to someone while you are hidden. By using the F key and then selecting that friend and "Send a text chat" you can talk to them. I learned of this from getting messages from friends and being perplexed that it showed them to be offline. So you can stay safely hidden and still connect with someone that you see in the game.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
Good point. The "F" hotkey doesn't work like it does in Wizard101 when you're hidden to friends.

Also, regarding #3 -- it appears you *can* click on someone to add them as a friend while hidden to friends. Good to know!

Thanks!
Thanks Jack, that really helped a lot. Your answers and info were spot on and I really appreciate the follow up response as well

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
You can also privately chat to someone while you are hidden. By using the F key and then selecting that friend and "Send a text chat" you can talk to them. I learned of this from getting messages from friends and being perplexed that it showed them to be offline. So you can stay safely hidden and still connect with someone that you see in the game.
I wondered about that as well. Before I was recently made aware of the hidden from friends option (I know I am a bit slow) I received text chats on occasion from friends that appeared to not be there. At that time I just assumed it was some type of error. Nice to know all of this new info for the times you just need a little quality 'me time' in between all the helping other fellow pirates.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
I wondered about that as well. Before I was recently made aware of the hidden from friends option (I know I am a bit slow) I received text chats on occasion from friends that appeared to not be there. At that time I just assumed it was some type of error. Nice to know all of this new info for the times you just need a little quality 'me time' in between all the helping other fellow pirates.
You have it figured out exactly. All you need now is a few choice comfort food snacks from the Bakeries of The Highlander Fox of Avalon and you will be all set.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
You have it figured out exactly. All you need now is a few choice comfort food snacks from the Bakeries of The Highlander Fox of Avalon and you will be all set.
Ummmmm.

I love comfort food.......and snacks......and bakeries......and foxes for that matter Time to raid the fridge- thanks again you sly devil, the Lady Fox that is