Old scratch bug??

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 10, 2009
2
I've noticed when old scratch is in battle, every once in a while when he attacks he will attack like he's summoning the skeletal minion (when I didn't order that attack) and then nothing happens. If this is a new bug please try to fix this, old scratch is one of my favorite companions and I don't want to send him into battle because he won't attack when he's ordered to

~ Fiery Amanda Nightingale level 42 buccaneer

Administrator
What you're noticing with Old Scratch is the following change from the update notes:

"Magical AoE abilities will fizzle, rather than trigger a dodge animation from the target."

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
May 06, 2012
48
Yes, I have been wondering this, too until I read One-eyed-Jack's post.
Thanks, One-eyed-jack and Kingsisle!

Ensign
Mar 08, 2009
6
Will these happen less often as the companion gains levels?
UNC

Ensign
Nov 22, 2010
27
Oh thank you, KI.

How about you put this in battle info, like you're now putting Attack, Mega Hit, Super Hit, etc.

I've put Scratch to sleep because he's seriously useless now.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
225
Stormy Autumn on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
Oh thank you, KI.

How about you put this in battle info, like you're now putting Attack, Mega Hit, Super Hit, etc.

I've put Scratch to sleep because he's seriously useless now.
These "fizzles" should be showing up just as much as the enemy used to dodge Scratch's attacks before the change. He has (and has always had) a low accuracy but this is offset by the fact that when he does hit he hits multiple enemies. Before, when the enemy dodged, it was somewhat confusing and would show the wrong enemy dodging, that is, not the enemy that you targeted (the one in the middle).

This change was supposed to make it less confusing, however it doesn't answer the question of how the chances of missing are calculated. For every other normal attack, the chance to hit is based on the attackers hit rate and the defenders dodge rate. How does this relate for Old Scratch (and Mormo and any other character that can hit multiple with normal attacks)?

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
KiwiChickenz on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
These "fizzles" should be showing up just as much as the enemy used to dodge Scratch's attacks before the change. He has (and has always had) a low accuracy but this is offset by the fact that when he does hit he hits multiple enemies. Before, when the enemy dodged, it was somewhat confusing and would show the wrong enemy dodging, that is, not the enemy that you targeted (the one in the middle).

This change was supposed to make it less confusing, however it doesn't answer the question of how the chances of missing are calculated. For every other normal attack, the chance to hit is based on the attackers hit rate and the defenders dodge rate. How does this relate for Old Scratch (and Mormo and any other character that can hit multiple with normal attacks)?
That's an interesting question. Do they compare only to the main target, or to all members of the group. And if some dodge and others don't, do they all automatically avoid?

Administrator
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Mar 22, 2013 wrote:
That's an interesting question. Do they compare only to the main target, or to all members of the group. And if some dodge and others don't, do they all automatically avoid?
Hi! Just wanted to point you to this thread where Ratbeard shared some insight into this question.

"There is one attack roll made, and you either hit them all, or you miss them all."

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Mar 08, 2009
6
I have noticed that the closer he is to the intended target the better(& more consistent) are his chances to connect and connect with more umph; which really makes sense when you think about it
UNC

PS: of course this could be just me hoping for the best

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
225
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 22, 2013 wrote:
Hi! Just wanted to point you to this thread where Ratbeard shared some insight into this question.

"There is one attack roll made, and you either hit them all, or you miss them all."
Thank you for clearing that up Mr Jack. I remember seeing that ages ago and thought he was just trying to give an explanation for what was happening (because it certainly didn't look like that).
So, what I assume this means is that Scratch's chance to hit is just based on his accuracy. So the best use for him is to attack enemies with high dodge because he would have the same chance of hitting.