Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nefarious back stab

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Someone...please tell me this isn't true. Myself and 3 other pirates whom I did not know, did the 'Tower' together. Before we went in one of them asked if we would mind if she drank the potion at the Nefarious 5 stage. She said the only consequence would be that we would have to battle her character along with the other enemies. We said we didn't mind. What we didn't know was this individual was after a badge and the effects that come with it. After she got what she wanted she fled the tower and left us to finish it on our own. What this did to us was add an extra hour to the tower, cost us several more companions than it should have and prevented us from opening the 4 player plunder chests. The only consolation I could think of would be that she wouldn't get the badge because she didn't finish the tower. So...someone please tell me that she didn't get to keep the badge. I have heard from others that yes she would in fact get the badge and that now that the word is out this is happening a lot. If so, this would have the opposite effect that I think KI had in mind for this tower. Now instead of meeting new players and getting to know them, we won't be able to do the tower unless it is with people we know and trust not to bail on us. I think it a slight oversight to not have built in the feature that would allow for circumstances to 'adjust' in the case where 4 players begin but 1 or more leave for whatever reason. The cost of time and companions along with losing out on the 4 player plunder is very disappointing so I hope that at least this person did not get to keep the badge.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on Sep 4, 2014 wrote:
Someone...please tell me this isn't true. Myself and 3 other pirates whom I did not know, did the 'Tower' together. Before we went in one of them asked if we would mind if she drank the potion at the Nefarious 5 stage. She said the only consequence would be that we would have to battle her character along with the other enemies. We said we didn't mind. What we didn't know was this individual was after a badge and the effects that come with it. After she got what she wanted she fled the tower and left us to finish it on our own. What this did to us was add an extra hour to the tower, cost us several more companions than it should have and prevented us from opening the 4 player plunder chests. The only consolation I could think of would be that she wouldn't get the badge because she didn't finish the tower. So...someone please tell me that she didn't get to keep the badge. I have heard from others that yes she would in fact get the badge and that now that the word is out this is happening a lot. If so, this would have the opposite effect that I think KI had in mind for this tower. Now instead of meeting new players and getting to know them, we won't be able to do the tower unless it is with people we know and trust not to bail on us. I think it a slight oversight to not have built in the feature that would allow for circumstances to 'adjust' in the case where 4 players begin but 1 or more leave for whatever reason. The cost of time and companions along with losing out on the 4 player plunder is very disappointing so I hope that at least this person did not get to keep the badge.
As far as I know, the only criteria to receive the badge is to drink the elixir - then your team must defeat you and win the battle against the Nefarious Five.
As soon as the word goes out, there will be some pirates that will take advantage of this, just for a badge.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Spiral Cowboy on Sep 4, 2014 wrote:
I agree, that is a pretty nefarious thing to do. I will vote for not getting awarded that badge unless you finish the tower.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
i agree with you crissy that is a horrible thing to do to friends or other non friends

Developer
We're watching and listening.

There was a suggestion made elsewhere to award a badge for the non-drinkers, and although that was outside the scope of what we could accomplish for the Test Realm, it's on my To Do list.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Frankly, there should be nothing in the tower which EVERYONE should be able to take advantage of, not just one. It makes no sense to allow just one player to get a benefit no one else gets.

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
I can amazing that would be very annoying! I'm very happy for my Krokotopia origin badge, thanks KisngsIsle for these awesome new origin badges, now I see that I wasn't a total fool when picking Krokotopia. But, that is indeed a nefarious plot for the at badge. Good luck!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Ratbeard on Sep 5, 2014 wrote:

There was a suggestion made elsewhere to award a badge for the non-drinkers, and although that was outside the scope of what we could accomplish for the Test Realm, it's on my To Do list.
Well, I love the tower along with all the other great things KI does for all of us pirates. The Nefarious Five was the most fun battle I've had in a long time. Really an outstanding job as usual for KI. It's just sad to see some people take advantage.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

Dont add a badge for not drinking, everyone would just not drink and get it without adding the challenge a badge is supposed to be awarded for, badges should be for accomplishments and that is just not an accomplishment

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

YEA *Gives Ratbeard quick Chrissy hug, Ducks and runs for cover*

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
ChrisTheSwashy on Sep 5, 2014 wrote:
I can amazing that would be very annoying! I'm very happy for my Krokotopia origin badge, thanks KisngsIsle for these awesome new origin badges, now I see that I wasn't a total fool when picking Krokotopia. But, that is indeed a nefarious plot for the at badge. Good luck!
My grammar in this is horrific.. it might have been because I was tired or my auto correct on my phone was failing me. Or, I might just have clumsy thumbs. Woops!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
zuto4011a on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
Dont add a badge for not drinking, everyone would just not drink and get it without adding the challenge a badge is supposed to be awarded for, badges should be for accomplishments and that is just not an accomplishment
It is too an accomplishment. If no one drinks than sure, "no badges for you!" But if someone drinks, the battle just got way harder for everyone else on the floor. It is indeed a challenge for the rest of the team to not only take out the traitor but to win the battle one pirate short. It would be well earned.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zuto4011a on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
Well, that's not much of an accomplishment...betraying those you entered the tower with. If someone enters the tower and makes it known to the group that they plan to drink the potion AND finish the tower with them, then that's fine. But to use people to get what you need and then leave them to finish the tower alone is wrong. When this happens it adds a lot more time to the tower and also costs us more companions than it should. I don't recall if there are 4 player plunder chests after the Nefarious Five stage but if there are, that would be another disappointment because the remaining players would be cheated of the chance to open them. There could be a different badge for those who choose not to drink. Same effect but a different color or something. I disagree with you that not drinking the potion is not an accomplishment. Choosing the side of good is a huge accomplishment in my eyes. Besides, what does the person who drinks the potion accomplish? Nothing. The other players are the ones who have to defeat this person along with the other enemies so they are actually the ones who have accomplished something. I hope this helps you understand the flaw in your reasoning. Maybe they should rename the current badge "the low down backstabber" badge. Then when we saw someone with the badge we would know not to trust them. That could actually be quite useful.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
I thought of an idea. Maybe at the very end of the tower there could be two different chests.

One which can only be opened by those who didn't take the potion in that specific run (will have a badge that provide golden glow around the players)

And one that can only be opened if you drank the potion.

Future runs after opening that chest will instead provide Gold (20000 gold for Good and only 1000 for bad)
So it is possible that lets say Me, Chrissy, and two other people could go in the first time.
Chrissy drinks the potion and then at the end everyone but Chrissy will be able to receive a Badge by opening the good chest at the end. While Chrissy can only open the bad chest giving her the Nefarious Sixth badge.

Note: The chests will always offer 10k gold if nobody took the potion and the chest is able to be opened by all players doing the tower. It isn't a race to see who clicks on the chest first

Ensign
Aug 21, 2012
I'm not exactly sure as to why it was decided to set up this badge reward this way. Currently, it ends up really disrupting the Tower runs I've been a part of.

First and foremost, it's the only badge with a unique particle effect. That makes it highly desirable.
However, not only is it one person per run, it encourages people to fight over it - and the person who takes it becomes the opponent.

In any case, I think the problem would most easily be solved by just granting the badge to everyone who participated, not just the drinker. Even though technically only the "drinker" was the traitor.
It makes the fight more difficult for anyone, and since it is a team effort to win it, the reward should be a team reward.

It's unfortunately extremely divisive the way it is currently setup.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jandas on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure as to why it was decided to set up this badge reward this way. Currently, it ends up really disrupting the Tower runs I've been a part of.

First and foremost, it's the only badge with a unique particle effect. That makes it highly desirable.
However, not only is it one person per run, it encourages people to fight over it - and the person who takes it becomes the opponent.

In any case, I think the problem would most easily be solved by just granting the badge to everyone who participated, not just the drinker. Even though technically only the "drinker" was the traitor.
It makes the fight more difficult for anyone, and since it is a team effort to win it, the reward should be a team reward.

It's unfortunately extremely divisive the way it is currently setup.
I believe it was planned this way for an extra challenge. The 'bad' one getting the reward is so the other members get that extra challenge ( Ha! tyvm, Ratbeard ) If someone drinks, I think another companion should appear for the other team members ( either randomly, or we get to choose ).
Deciding before entering the Tower is better done with friends. If you do Team Up and someone asks make sure they un-equip everything, even their pet. ( and give them time to do this )
During Team Up runs, I haven't yet met anyone who wants to drink the elixir.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
I believe it was planned this way for an extra challenge. The 'bad' one getting the reward is so the other members get that extra challenge ( Ha! tyvm, Ratbeard ) If someone drinks, I think another companion should appear for the other team members ( either randomly, or we get to choose ).
Deciding before entering the Tower is better done with friends. If you do Team Up and someone asks make sure they un-equip everything, even their pet. ( and give them time to do this )
During Team Up runs, I haven't yet met anyone who wants to drink the elixir.
Nefarious is easy enough as it is, adding another companion is just ridiculous

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zuto4011a on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
Sigh. Once again thinking only of ourselves. The Nefarious Five is not easy for everyone, especially when one of the players there drinks the elixir and it certainly isn't easy for anyone the first time they do it. After you figure out the order in which to eliminate the Nefarious Pirates it gets easier, but I am a very experienced player and have gone through with other very experienced players and even for us there were challenging moments. At this point the challenge for me is to make it through without losing a single companion. For less experienced players, however, just making it through at all can be difficult. I do agree, though, that changes to the Nefarious Five battle are not needed regarding the level of difficulty. After your first run you figure things out and it actually helps weaker players get stronger and strategize better. The only thing I can see that needs changing is the attitude and selfish behavior of some of those who go in. Unfortunately, there is little KI can do about that and even if they could, it shouldn't fall to them to regulate such things. I will say that I have had several very positive experiences in the Tower and made some lasting friendships and I thank KI for that. I have a great deal of respect for those of you who go in and conduct yourselves well. For those of you who don't...your behavior will catch up to you someday. Karma, baby...it's powerful stuff.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
Excuse me, it is NOT easy, are we talking about the same Tower?

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I say to DO NOT do the nefarious tower until the level cap increases. This'll be easier and won't be too risky when one person leaves.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
I am fairly new to the tower runs, only completed a full run once. I tried tonight to change that number to two. I don't know anyone in real life who plays so I am at the mercy of the team up feature. First three groups I got with team up fell apart within two fights from the front door. Fourth group managed to hang on despite connection issues for some to the nefarious five fight. Though one person promised to stay awake for that fight (I think some of the "connection" issue was falling asleep at the keyboard). We got through that fight and looted the four person chest afterwards (none of us went for the potion). Then were left wondering what happened to half of the team at the next floor. Two had bailed.

I hear rumors of weapon drops in the nefarious fight and think that as well as the badge is why people seem to only want to go that far. I have a suggestion for the team up function, not sure if it would do any good or not but thought I'd throw the idea out. Could there be two selections on what kind of team you are looking for, full run to the top or stop after nefarious five fight. Thinking that might cut down on people being disappointed who wanted to go to the top.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
One of my Main issues with it is that you Need the help of others to get the badge and its true whenever I do the dungeon there's always someone that wants the badge and people tend to fight over it I'm personally a shy person and loath asking others for help Especially if it hinders them in some way If I could I would solo the dungeon for the badge but that's impossible given the difficulty of the place so I have to rely that people I'm in there with are A. Already have the badge or not want it B. Willing to let me make their run longer and C. be able to win the fight when it got harder than it was before

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
if it is wrong to drink the potion why do we have to get a badge for it

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
I think whoever drinks the potion should remove all items from their pirate so that it is easier to defeat them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kronosroses on Sep 9, 2014 wrote:
if it is wrong to drink the potion why do we have to get a badge for it
So it gives you an incentive to do it, and gives your team an extra challenge ( but why they don't get anything for it is the real question ).