Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Myth Busting the Tower of Moo Manchu

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
We know that the drops in the Tower are very desirable and are the best and most powerful in the game ( so far ). But, I can't tell you how many times I've heard some player or other mention some half-baked, crazy idea about manipulating drops. And when you argue with them, they swear that their source is impeccable, and that you don't know what you're talking about.
Examples:

This one is the most common - don't use treasure bath doubloons during the battle with the Nef-5, it reduces the chances of getting their drops. Where, I asked, did you hear this? The P101 Central forums, you should read them, was the reply, and One Eyed Jack has confirmed that there's a code that does this.
( Really, did he actually say this or is he misunderstood or misquoted? )

Kill Benjamin last ( the musketeer ) he's the one who drops all the weapons.

Don't use doubloons that directly attack the Nef-5, it reduces the chances of their drops. And why, I asked, do you believe this? Personal observation, was the reply.

Ratbeard, please, if you're reading this, tell them that this is all nutsy, crack-pot talk. Frankly, I'm tired of arguing with these players. When I disregard their comments, they throw a fit! Even when the Nef-5 do drop a wapon after treasure bath is used, they're not completely convinced.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
We know that the drops in the Tower are very desirable and are the best and most powerful in the game ( so far ). But, I can't tell you how many times I've heard some player or other mention some half-baked, crazy idea about manipulating drops. And when you argue with them, they swear that their source is impeccable, and that you don't know what you're talking about.
Examples:

This one is the most common - don't use treasure bath doubloons during the battle with the Nef-5, it reduces the chances of getting their drops. Where, I asked, did you hear this? The P101 Central forums, you should read them, was the reply, and One Eyed Jack has confirmed that there's a code that does this.
( Really, did he actually say this or is he misunderstood or misquoted? )

Kill Benjamin last ( the musketeer ) he's the one who drops all the weapons.

Don't use doubloons that directly attack the Nef-5, it reduces the chances of their drops. And why, I asked, do you believe this? Personal observation, was the reply.

Ratbeard, please, if you're reading this, tell them that this is all nutsy, crack-pot talk. Frankly, I'm tired of arguing with these players. When I disregard their comments, they throw a fit! Even when the Nef-5 do drop a wapon after treasure bath is used, they're not completely convinced.
Yeah, I have heard and seen a lot of this type of farce throughout the game as well.

There are many players who think that because the wiki stores or lists all of the drops from the Nefarious Five under Unreliable Benjamin Wright, that it means that he is solely responsible for the drops and how they play out. There are many other instances in which the drops are recorded under 1 specific Boss (when there's more than one or multiple enemies in that instance) and I do believe, and surely may be wrong, that it is just merely a organization/ease of searching "thingy" and doesn't at all mean that in those instances, the boss listed with the goods, is the one that is responsible for whether you get good drops or not...and whether defeating it last will influence your drops at all. The only way I know to influence your likelihood of receiving Nefarious Five drops from a run through the tower-- use the Second Chance Chest if you have the Crowns to spare...that's it. Even then there's no guarantee, but 10 rolls of the dice give you a better chance of hitting jackpot, versus 1.

One thing that I am certain of, is that "randomness breeds lunacy!"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This all reminds me of an exercise on percentages assigned in one of my math classes in school; you were required to take a coin and toss it a certain number of times and record the results - heads or tails.
In the first part of the exercise we had to toss the coin 10 times. Of course we thought that the results would be 50-50, not so! The percentages favored one side.
But then we had to flip that coin more times, again recording the results; and the percentages evened out the more times we flipped that coin, until we got a 50-50 percent result.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
This all reminds me of an exercise on percentages assigned in one of my math classes in school; you were required to take a coin and toss it a certain number of times and record the results - heads or tails.
In the first part of the exercise we had to toss the coin 10 times. Of course we thought that the results would be 50-50, not so! The percentages favored one side.
But then we had to flip that coin more times, again recording the results; and the percentages evened out the more times we flipped that coin, until we got a 50-50 percent result.
I do the same thing with my biology students when we hit genetics. Probability is a hard concept for some to grasp -- even when we pool the toss results to show that the more tosses you have, the closer to the ideal you're likely to get. Sample size is an equally difficult concept, and our samples for the tower are pretty darned small.

We see the same thing with packs. If someone is told there is a 1 in 10 chance of getting a companion from the pack, there are invariably folks who think that if they buy 50 packs they should have all five possible companions. (That may not be the appropriate chance, but I chose it because I'm mathematically lazy.)

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I tried to debunk the theories as well. Unfortunately I found that when people are set on something and believe strongly in it they won't change their minds no matter what anyone says. You are a very talented player there are many people who value your input and do listen.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey