Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Musketeer Or Swashbuckler?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
Hello, Pirates! I require your assistance on choosing one of these two classes for soloing. Swashbuckler or Musketeer. I've done a chart between the two and Swashbuckler receives eighteen class-restricted companions while Musketeer only receives fifteen. But here's the question- which gives you more leverage in the game- more or less companions. I hope to see you in the Spiral!
Cynical Gavin Laverne- Level 8
Cynical Gavin Laverne- Level 17

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
THE SAVIOR on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
Hello, Pirates! I require your assistance on choosing one of these two classes for soloing. Swashbuckler or Musketeer. I've done a chart between the two and Swashbuckler receives eighteen class-restricted companions while Musketeer only receives fifteen. But here's the question- which gives you more leverage in the game- more or less companions. I hope to see you in the Spiral!
If you've trained your companions,( keeping them at your level or at least within 2 levels below ) then it doesn't matter how many companions you have. Variety of companions is important and swashbucklers seem to have this compared to musketeers. For soloing, I recommend the swashbuckler.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
It depends on the companions.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
they are both pretty great for the story, but i would suggest musketeers. musketeers have more attacks that deal alot of damage, traps, and the barrage series which are all great for taking down melee attackers. additionally,the majority of enemies seem to be weak against "magical" attacks, which the majority of musketeer weapons use.musketeers are my personal favorite class, even though i started with a swash :D

-Matthew Walker, 65
-Sly Sloan Silver, 65
-Matthew Walker, 43

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Well, I have a max level Swashbuckler and a max level Musketeer. They are both great classes but I would recommend a Swashbuckler for soloing the game, especially if it's your first time. Not that you couldn't do it with a Musketeer...it's just easier with a Swashbuckler. For questing with my Swashbuckler I choose two Musketeer companions that have the overwatch and burst fire talents. Double tap is nice too. The Swashbuckler requires less strategy and will get through the game quicker because of their devastating attacks. Soloing with a Musketeer requires more thought and the opposite philosophy regarding companion selection. With a Musketeer you will need at least one melee unit as a companion. They have the lowest damage in the game but also lots of mutli-target attacks. Their traps and bombs are great when they hit for epic, mega or super damage. Just remember that with a Musketeer, you play the waiting game and let the enemy come to you...hopefully after they have walked right into your well placed traps. As far as the leverage companions might give you...I see none. Once you start to level it takes more and more gold to train your companions and a lot of the companions are very similar anyway so you will probably settle on a few and train them up leaving the bulk of your companions at a lower level. You won't be able to train ALL of your companions to your level until after you are max level and start piling up the gold unless you take a break from questing once in awhile and farm for gold to buy training tomes with. Good luck. :)

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
witchdoctor lol i soloed fort basset first try with my witchdoctor

Ensign
Jun 29, 2009
I have a max level of all the pirate classes. They all have pro's and con's. My two cents worth is this.

The Swashbuckler is fast, devastating damage and gets to take a swipe every time someone "tries" to hit her. Her theme song is "Can't touch this!" Very fun, and easy to solo. Very offensive play style.

The musketeer is more of a cat, playing with her prey. It took me a while to get the hang of her, and have had to develop different strategies as I progressed through the game. Certain traps become less effective, because the enemies get smarter about not stepping in them. The battles take longer as a musketeer, since it is a far more strategic play. However, I find it very satisfying to have the enemy in the red before they even get into strike range. Very defensive play style.

My musketeer was the last pirate I tried, and I think overall she is the most fun. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. That said, I had 4 pirates worth of experience under my belt. I don't do any PvP, so can't offer you any insight on that front.

Hope some of this helps.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Well, for me, I am a Level 65 . For me, Musketeers give some pretty good leverage. I can help my friends with long range covering fire, and Musketeers get LOTS of special, high-damage moves. As for companions, well, I have 82 of them. The class-restricted ones are pretty powerful, but not the best. I hope this helps make your decision!

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
Well if you are chosing between those 2 schools I would chose swashbuckler. It is a good school to solo but in my opinion the BEST school for solo is witchdoctor. Good luck pirating!

Fearless john west level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john morris level 32