Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

More Questions for Blind Mew and Ratbeard

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Hey, guys! I first have to thank you answering the questions you're asked. And now, I've got a couple more. Hopefully, I can get these answered and post any follow-up questions before the month is out.

For Blind Mew:

1. When you're writing and deciding where the players character will go, it would seem that you have a lot of choice, seeing that they may visit someone who is native to one world and living in another. How do you find a balance between new worlds and "old" worlds (seen in Wizard101)?

2. I know that you've said that your technology does not support player options during the story. In what alternate ways do you plan to make the story more unique for each pirate?

3. I've noticed hints of some very interesting and clever side-quest storylines in Marleybone and Aquila. Do you have any recommendations? ;)

For Ratbeard:

1. Hey, I've noticed that you're trying to get more people to try out different weapon combinations by adding all sorts of weapon combinations. Fantastic! I'm just concerned, though, that I haven't seen a Shooty/Stabby weapon with ranged damage. On one hand, you wouldn't be able to use the melee portion without physical damage, but on the other, you can't use the ranged damage naturally at all. And without a range of four or higher, it's out of the question. I'd really love to try these combos out. Can I expect to find a weapon like this?

2. I haven't done a lot of testing myself, but at first glance, I'm loving the direction you're going with most of the new powers. Can you explain how the Musketeer's single-barrel power works? I'm not seeing a huge benefit with it here, being a single space. Also, it can't be destroyed by allies. Additionally, is Pure Magic meant to not be a "targetable" spell? It removes buffs from allies more than anything. Finally, I've seen a new power, Dispel Magic, on an item. Are there different powers like this for all classes around the new worlds?

3. At the previous level cap, we had items at level 45+, but not 50+. In this expansion, do we have items level 60+ but not 65+? Also, besides places like Medusa and the clockwork elites, do you have any recommended farming areas for some of the more interesting new items? ;)

4. I'd still be interested in what you had to say on my OTHER THREAD. Also, if you're ever up for that PvP match, catch me after hours via Swordroll on Central or elsewhere! :P

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Developer
I haven't seen a Shooty/Stabby weapon with ranged damage. Can I expect to find a weapon like this?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking if you can have a shooty/stabby weapon that allows you to attack at range as a normal attack, the answer is NO. If any portion of the weapon is melee, it's a melee weapon. The reasons are complicated; suffice to say that's the way it has to work.

If you're asking whether or not you can have a shooty/stabby weapon that is a melee weapon but does magical damage (defended with Resist instead of Armor), the answer is yes-- but they will be uncommon exceptions, not the general rule.

Can you explain how the Musketeer's single-barrel power works? I'm not seeing a huge benefit with it here, being a single space. Also, it can't be destroyed by allies.

It should be summoning a "wall' of three barrels. Make sure you cast it in an area with enough room to summon all three.

You should be able to destroy it yourself (that's the whole point, of course) but that's a bug we're still working on.

Additionally, is Pure Magic meant to not be a "targetable" spell? It removes buffs from allies more than anything.

No, Purge Magic it is not targetable. It is centered on the caster and removes all the buffs on all the units in all the squares around him-- including himself.

At the previous level cap, we had items at level 45+, but not 50+. In this expansion, do we have items level 60+ but not 65+?

Correct. Of course, all you guys see is the minimum level requirement. There are certainly items out there whose functional level is greater than 60. It doesn't make much sense to me to drop items that you can't use until you hit the level cap. Where are you going to use them?

I'd still be interested in what you had to say on my OTHER THREAD.

The Privateer has to decide between protecting himself or buffing his team. Regardless of what he decides you should be making it a priority to kill the Privateer before he can do either.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on May 11, 2013 wrote:
I haven't seen a Shooty/Stabby weapon with ranged damage. Can I expect to find a weapon like this?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking if you can have a shooty/stabby weapon that allows you to attack at range as a normal attack, the answer is NO. If any portion of the weapon is melee, it's a melee weapon. The reasons are complicated; suffice to say that's the way it has to work.

If you're asking whether or not you can have a shooty/stabby weapon that is a melee weapon but does magical damage (defended with Resist instead of Armor), the answer is yes-- but they will be uncommon exceptions, not the general rule.

Can you explain how the Musketeer's single-barrel power works? I'm not seeing a huge benefit with it here, being a single space. Also, it can't be destroyed by allies.

It should be summoning a "wall' of three barrels. Make sure you cast it in an area with enough room to summon all three.

You should be able to destroy it yourself (that's the whole point, of course) but that's a bug we're still working on.

Additionally, is Pure Magic meant to not be a "targetable" spell? It removes buffs from allies more than anything.

No, Purge Magic it is not targetable. It is centered on the caster and removes all the buffs on all the units in all the squares around him-- including himself.

At the previous level cap, we had items at level 45+, but not 50+. In this expansion, do we have items level 60+ but not 65+?

Correct. Of course, all you guys see is the minimum level requirement. There are certainly items out there whose functional level is greater than 60. It doesn't make much sense to me to drop items that you can't use until you hit the level cap. Where are you going to use them?

I'd still be interested in what you had to say on my OTHER THREAD.

The Privateer has to decide between protecting himself or buffing his team. Regardless of what he decides you should be making it a priority to kill the Privateer before he can do either.
If you're asking if you can have a shooty/stabby weapon that allows you to attack at range as a normal attack, the answer is NO. If any portion of the weapon is melee, it's a melee weapon.

That's fair enough. Do you suppose I'll see a weapon doing physical damage that also has a range of four? Having that four (five when you add the Musketeer's ability) is the determining factor for me.

It should be summoning a "wall' of three barrels. You should be able to destroy it yourself (that's the whole point, of course) but that's a bug we're still working on.

I see. Yes, that does make much more sense. I'll be curious to try this one out.

That's definitely an interesting power. It does leave me wondering at what point the Witchdoctor using it will leave himself surrounded primarily by enemy units, but it has some potential.

The Privateer has to decide between protecting himself or buffing his team.

I do have to say, I love the direction that all classes are taking as of this most recent update. You've definitely satisfied my concerns there. With PvP getting more diverse than ever, there'll no doubt be much farming and many matches after this expansion goes live.

Hey, thanks for answering these questions; I know I can be tough. ;) I do appreciate it!

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Developer
How do you find a balance between new worlds and "old" worlds (seen in Wizard101)?

We go by gut instinct more than anything else. The roster of worlds for the main plot got laid out long ago, though some things crept onto the list as we fleshed the story out. Our goal has always been to have some shout outs and old friends for Wizard players, but to keep everything new and put a different face on familiar spaces.

In what alternate ways do you plan to make the story more unique for each pirate?

There are actually several things built into the game that have made the core experience different, at least at the class level - the difference in Core companions (the MooShu 5, Kraken Skulls 5, and presidio 5) means you're hearing a lot of different jokes as you play, and the main impact from a content standpoint is that you see a very different slate of promotion quests 9with a few exceptions). So, to experience all of Moo Manchu's machination in Book 12 you'd need to play every class.I think the combat and system dynamics for each help build a different experience, at least at the tactical level.

But that's classes - at the individual level there's only so far we can take things: Old Republic/Mass Effect decision and consequence trees are hard to engineer, and almost impossible to engineer outside a single player context - I don't think we need them. The choices you made at character creation: how you were orphaned, where you were raised, and what class you are will all shape the plot to some degree, so your precise combination of those three will build a story that's different from many players' if not all. So far, I'd say class is the only factor of the three that has been fully realized. One of them has yet to be touched on much at all.

To be continued...

Developer
I've noticed hints of some very interesting and clever side-quest storylines in Marleybone and Aquila. Do you have any recommendations? ;)

In Book 13, I dearly love the promotion quests more than anything else. I'm also fond of the literary himages (to Kidnapped! and Oliver Twist). In Book 14, the Greek Drama quest line makes me chuckle, and the quests beginning with the aqueduct engineers is not to be missed.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
ooooooooooo Blind you pulled out a Mass Effect reference +10 in my book.

I LOVE that game have all 3 and have done all achievements for them including being the few able to do gold/plat with the weaker classes in multiplayer in ME3

Ensign
Jun 22, 2009
I was just thinking about different weapon combinations! We have seen shooty/stabby and shooty/slashy for a great combination of using ranged and melee skills/powers. However, (and this may have been said or already exists for all I know), I was just thinking about having a combination of Staffy/Shooty.

I have read a post about the technicalities (sp?) about how a shooty/stabby or shooty/slashy is unable to have a normal ranged attack; however, a staffy/shooty weapon would be able keep a normal ranged attack but still allow a Musketeer for example to use both Staffy and Shooty based powers. The normal attack could be disignated either as shooty (using agility) or staffy (using will? I'm guessing) to determine damage.

I think this would allow for a lot more secondary class options for some pirates and bring something new and exciting to the table.

Can I get a yar!?

Currently playing Nimble Tim Everhart Level 7