More information about the upcoming update

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Yarr, Pirates!

We've been receiving a lot of great feedback and feeling your excitement over our recent teaser video, and if you haven’t seen it yet, please take a look!

http://youtu.be/GfZzItU0SCw

I’d like to run through a few of these items just to make sure you’re aware of our intentions and clarify a few questions that have come up. Don’t worry, you’re going to soon have access to an entire list of update notes as we enter the Test Realm, and you’ll soon be seeing them first hand! Exciting times are near!

Skull Island Expansion
This is specifically an update to the three rats quests (Manny, Moe, and Jack in Traitor’s Cave).

We've never been fully satisfied with this crucial area of the game, and after a lot of hard work, it's looking pretty amazing and now more closely matches the "three streets" of Wizard101’s Wizard City. This quest line strove to match this layout but never fully did . . . until now! New pirates coming to the game (and the rest of us going through the game a second and third time) are going to have a better picture of life on Skull Island with improved pacing, better story lines, more value, and richer lore.

When this expansion launches, the entrance into Traitor’s Cave will open back up for our free-to-play players, and what once was one premium area will now be a new free area and two new premium areas (at half the cost each--If you've purchased this area with Crowns before, you'll get both automatically).

Now, this may come as strange news to a portion of our players who are eagerly awaiting Book 15 and a continuation of the Pirate101 story with expanded levels, powers, and new content. You'll have to trust us--we will be continuing the story of Pirate101 in the future and as expected, have some surprises up our sleeves for future high-level content. We’ll provide more information when we can.

Advanced Pets and Companions
We’ve been fielding several comments about these here and over on Pirate101 Central, but definitely take a moment to review our articles:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/816/feature/8343/Advanced-Companions-Incoming.html/page/1
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/24/massively-exclusive-pirate101-announces-new-advanced-pet-system/

Our goal is to create fun and engaging game play for players and pets, and Advanced Pets is a lot of fun! We’ll keep refining this experience based on player feedback, but we can’t wait for you to try this out! The new found powers of your pets is going to impress you!

Advanced Companions addresses so many player issues in one fell swoop, it’s hard to cover them all: troubles keeping your multiple pages of companions trained, lack of gold and loot, lack of nautical experience, not wanting side quest companions, sleep tokens, and more. If the idea of changing your strategy makes you nervous, we understand, but please don’t dismiss this system too quickly before you try it! There’s a lot of benefits to this change you may not realize yet.

Group Plunder.
A big take away we've had from those who've played Pirate101 is that they’d like more opportunities to interact with other players. This makes a lot of sense for an MMO, and this update strives on multiple levels to do just this. Group Plunder chests are just one of these new features.

Now, once in a while where you would regularly find a hidden treasure chest out in the world, you’ll now find a chest with multiple locks that you’ll need help opening from other players. In combat occasionally you’re going to find an additional chest too (one that doesn't take the place of your other treasure chests) with multiple locks that you can only open if you’re grouped with someone else in combat.

What’s inside? Awesome loot, but specifically these chests are the only way you’ll find Doubloons, which are a new, expendable currency that grants powers in combat (yes, like Treasure Cards in Wizard101). I’ll leave the surprise of what these do for later.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Administrator
New Housing Quest and Previews
We noticed a lot of new players didn't even know their dorm rooms existed! We needed a way to direct people to their dorms – simple as that.

Another huge request from Pirate101 players was that we needed housing previews so you can “try before you buy” on houses in the Crown Shop, and we couldn't agree more!

You’ll notice that there won’t be a Real Estate agent for these house previews. Some of you may miss this feature, but others won’t mind given the feedback we've had from a few of our Wizard101 players. In the end, leaving out the Real Estate Agent character helps us make houses faster without the need to stop to record lines of dialog for each house we make.

We’d love for our fans to continue this tradition! Our creative fans continue to impress us, and we’re sure many fan-made Real Estate agent tours could help informally fill this role for our player housing. If you make a fun tour of a new house, please send it to me! I'd love to see it.

Mark and Recall
All I can hear from this feature is a huge sigh of relief from our players. We've looked at our old stance of not allowing Mark and Recall, and we now realize that we were stopping you from helping each other because you couldn’t leave a mark to return to where you were previously. Enjoy!

New Stitchable Eye Patch / Accessory Slot
Since totems weren't visible for the most part, we had accidentally created a slot that couldn't be stitched to. Now you’re going to have an extra slot just for eye patches (and who knows what other "accessories" in the future) that not only gives you extra power, but also allows for eye patches to be stitched. Enjoy!

Skyway Chat
Skyways are huge zones and if you didn't notice, your calls for help weren't echoing far and wide within a skyway. Now someone at the far end of Monquista will still be able to hear you on the other end through the use of Skyway chat. This will hopefully improve socialization and coordination between players as well.

New Class Titles/Badges
They were missing, and now they aren't! It’s just something fun that we’re happy to provide even though it doesn’t earn us any extra Crowns. Enjoy!

New Visual Effects
These are cool--Really cool! Once you see them, you’ll really feel like you’re casting a power. Again, it’s something simple that’s going to make Pirate101 just that much more visually interesting.

Improved Power and Talent Descriptions, Tons of interface improvements, Critical hit system overhaul
We heard your cries that there were some confusing aspects of game play, and we’re continuing to do all we can to improve wherever we can! There’s far too much to go over here in this setting, but basically everything has been looked at – no stone unturned – and we've made things much more logical. For example, that strange wiggle your powers used to do once in a while to remind you that you had powers? Now we’re actually going to wiggle a recommended power instead of just any-old-power.

Administrator
Bug Fixes
You know that big long list of bug fixes I’ve been saying are coming in an “Upcoming Update” in the Bilge Pump forums? Well, 99 percent of the outstanding issues you’ve brought up to us are happening with this update. From major fixes to the smallest misplaced comma. If you’ve told us about it, we’ve tried our best to take care of it in this update. Thank you for your patience!

Weapon Upgrade Notifications
Don’t you hate it when you get a cool new weapon in your inventory, and you didn't even know it? Now you will! A button is going to flash off to the side of the screen to let you know when you’ve got an upgrade, and you’ll even be able to equip it by simply clicking the button.

Expanded Quest Sharing
We started out with Skull Island side quests back in May 2013, and now you’ll be able to share many more side quests when you’re grouped together! Here’s a link to those update notes if you need to get reacquainted with this often forgotten system: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/may23

~~

. . . and I think the rest of the items listed in the video are pretty self explanatory. In essence, we've made thousands of improvements from small to large! Including as the video so proudly announces, ". . . AND AN ART AND SOUND POLISH!"

We hope you enjoy them! See you in the Skyways!

- One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Yarr, Pirates!

We've been receiving a lot of great feedback and feeling your excitement over our recent teaser video, and if you haven’t seen it yet, please take a look!

I’d like to run through a few of these items just to make sure you’re aware of our intentions and clarify a few questions that have come up. Don’t worry, you’re going to soon have access to an entire list of update notes as we enter the Test Realm, and you’ll soon be seeing them first hand! Exciting times are near!

Skull Island Expansion
This is specifically an update to the three rats quests (Manny, Moe, and Jack in Traitor’s Cave).

We've never been fully satisfied with this crucial area of the game, and after a lot of hard work, it's looking pretty amazing and now more closely matches the "three streets" of Wizard101’s Wizard City. This quest line strove to match this layout but never fully did . . . until now! New pirates coming to the game (and the rest of us going through the game a second and third time) are going to have a better picture of life on Skull Island with improved pacing, better story lines, more value, and richer lore.

When this expansion launches, the entrance into Traitor’s Cave will open back up for our free-to-play players, and what once was one premium area will now be a new free area and two new premium areas (at half the cost each--If you've purchased this area with Crowns before, you'll get both automatically).

Now, this may come as strange news to a portion of our players who are eagerly awaiting Book 15 and a continuation of the Pirate101 story with expanded levels, powers, and new content. You'll have to trust us--we will be continuing the story of Pirate101 in the future and as expected, have some surprises up our sleeves for future high-level content. We’ll provide more information when we can.

We’ve been fielding several comments about these here and over on Pirate101 Central, but definitely take a moment to review our articles:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/816/feature/8343/Advanced-Companions-Incoming.html/page/1
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/24/massively-exclusive-pirate101-announces-new-advanced-pet-system/

Our goal is to create fun and engaging game play for players and pets, and Advanced Pets is a lot of fun! We’ll keep refining this experience based on player feedback, but we can’t wait for you to try this out! The new found powers of your pets is going to impress you!

Advanced Companions addresses so many player issues in one fell swoop, it’s hard to cover them all: troubles keeping your multiple pages of companions trained, lack of gold and loot, lack of nautical experience, not wanting side quest companions, sleep tokens, and more. If the idea of changing your strategy makes you nervous, we understand, but please don’t dismiss this system too quickly before you try it! There’s a lot of benefits to this change you may not realize yet.

Group Plunder.
A big take away we've had from those who've played Pirate101 is that they’d like more opportunities to interact with other players. This makes a lot of sense for an MMO, and this update strives on multiple levels to do just this. Group Plunder chests are just one of these new features.

Now, once in a while where you would regularly find a hidden treasure chest out in the world, you’ll now find a chest with multiple locks that you’ll need help opening from other players. In combat occasionally you’re going to find an additional chest too (one that doesn't take the place of your other treasure chests) with multiple locks that you can only open if you’re grouped with someone else in combat.

What’s inside? Awesome loot, but specifically these chests are the only way you’ll find Doubloons, which are a new, expendable currency that grants powers in combat (yes, like Treasure Cards in Wizard101). I’ll leave the surprise of what these do for later.
Hi Jack, this all sounds pretty fantastic to me. I can't wait to give everything an unbiased shot and just see these updates and changes in action. Pretty exciting times are definitely ahead. I just had one quick question regarding the Group Plunder chests.

Are gold or crowns required to open them, or is the only requirement that you have multiple pirates open them at the same time by the normal pressing of X? Just curious and thank you.

Everything sounds great and we appreciate all of the hard work you guys and gals have been putting into making this already amazing game, even better. Thanks again.

Administrator
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Hi Jack, this all sounds pretty fantastic to me. I can't wait to give everything an unbiased shot and just see these updates and changes in action. Pretty exciting times are definitely ahead. I just had one quick question regarding the Group Plunder chests.

Are gold or crowns required to open them, or is the only requirement that you have multiple pirates open them at the same time by the normal pressing of X? Just curious and thank you.

Everything sounds great and we appreciate all of the hard work you guys and gals have been putting into making this already amazing game, even better. Thanks again.
No Gold or Crowns are required to open them--just press X with a buddy when you see them!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
No Gold or Crowns are required to open them--just press X with a buddy when you see them!
SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
One-eyed Jack, I have a quick question. When you say weapon upgrade notification, do you mean that when you get a weapon better than the one currently equipped, a notice pops up? Same with weapons that you already have and level up to unlock?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Yarr, Pirates!

Skull Island Expansion

Group Plunder.

Hi Jack, great info here. Thank you muchly. I have a quick question though. The new quests, Many, Moe & Jack and the stuff in traitor's Cave, can our higher pirates access these quests too? I have made my six already so I don't have a slot to start over.

Community Leader
Wait, does this mean that our max pirates can't play through the new areas? Some people are upset since their accounts are full of maxed out pirates.

It would've been nice to go through the new areas with my max pirates. But since we can't, I was wondering if you will bring back Boochbeard to level us up and give us the quest to do the new area when we make a new pirate. I'd like to test it, but it'd be faster if Boochbeard gave us a hand. I miss him anyway! :(

Can't wait for next week, at least I think it will be! :P

PS: Please tell me that you guys fixed the part where things would get destroyed if the backpack and bank were full and I was placing something down in my house?

Need help with Ships, Companions, Pets, Gear? Pirate101 Skyways has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Hey

I do have two questions, if we have a character in the middle of their quests when it gets expanded what will happen to their main quest.

And secondly, when the free to play zone first got shortened, free to play pirates who already had their account created didn't have to pay for the chapters prologue 1 and prologue 2. When the expansion occurs will the two new premium areas have to be payed for from crowns players who are already past that section.

I would really love to hear some answers.
Noble Ryan Thompson

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
I have to say, I am mildly disappointed. Although a Skull Island expansion is amazing, I am a bit upset that Book 15 is still not going to be around...is there any way we can get a tiny bit of an idea as to when max-level players can receive the next bits of the story?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
So... I get that we're going to have much of what's coming to the game, but... there's some questions I have to ask you. If you've got time, please answer me these questions, One-Eyed Jack.

1. If we're going to have a new group of Companions in the next update, will these Companions be like the other groups of 5 that speak in the main storyline and have many dialogue lines in them as part of this, or will they be like the other Companions that speak very little dialogue lines? Also, would they have promotion quests like the other Companions, too, or will they want to be paid in gold just for promotions? If they do have promotion quests, then I'm up for it. If they only want gold fro promotions, then I don't mind.

2. Does this mean that we would have to wait a little bit more longer for Book 15? I don't know how close it is to being ready, but I really wish to continue on our main story adventures. I'm really itching to find out how to cripple the Clockwork Armada and their Supreme Commander Kane and seek this Toymaker in Valencia.

3. I've asked you this many times, but I have to say this again, will we be able to let our Companions roam free in our houses, just like our Pets and Mounts? I've been asking for this request many times, and I hope to see our crewmates relax and walk around in our houses. If it's not to be made in the update, then I hope it would be available in the small update after that shortly.

Thanks once again for answering!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Just a couple more questions about those Group Plunder Chests.

If there are 3+ pirates in a battle and one of the GPC pops up will it take all of the pirates to open it? If not and it only takes 2 pirates to open it, will the other pirates get the loot- or its it first come first serve, every pirate for him/her self, with some being left out? Or perhaps will the # of locks on a Group chest that appears in battle be determined by the # of pirates in that battle, thus requiring all in battle to open it?

I know I should just wait to see how it works, but curiosity is getting the best of me. Thanks again.

Community Leader
Skyway Chat
Skyways are huge zones and if you didn't notice, your calls for help weren't echoing far and wide within a skyway. Now someone at the far end of Monquista will still be able to hear you on the other end through the use of Skyway chat. This will hopefully improve socialization and coordination between players as well.

I have a few questions
Will there be a switch to turn off or on skyway chat feature?

Same question as kelsey about maxed pirates.

Group chest. What happens if your alone in battle and get one of these?

Last but not least Can we have test realm now please ;) Ye know I had t' ask.

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"
Lieutenant
Jul 15, 2013
so my brother is confused will be there new books?

Developer
Will there be a switch to turn off or on skyway chat feature?

Yes. Your feedback on this system is important, so that we can make sure it is as useful to you as possible.

Group chest. What happens if you're alone in battle and get one of these?

If you're alone in combat, you'll never see a group plunder chest.

I want to add here that we've made changes to the way that additional enemies are added to combat to make it more desirable to join other pirates. By the time you have 4 players, your team will outnumber the enemies.

You'll also get more chances at group plunder chests, and the contents of group plunder chests are better with more players.

The only time you'll run across a group plunder chest if you're playing solo are the hidden chests that spawn in the open world. If that happens, call a buddy to help you open it!

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Captain
May 16, 2011
Hmm........Interesting. I don't know whether I should reset some of my low leveled characters, since they're already past traitor's cave. Ehhhh, I don't know. *Starts pacing around quickly*

Ensign
Dec 18, 2009
I have a question regarding the Housing and Advanced Pet updates -

From what I understand there were additions to drops in relation to pet drops and housing items. The one thing that I've been wondering for a while is - were any drops removed from loot tables for different creatures? I know the community has been really great about tracking down pet drops so I've been wondering if the drops we've been able to find so far and share with the community would now become invalid(hopefully not ).

Thanks!

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
Bug Fixes
You know that big long list of bug fixes I’ve been saying are coming in an “Upcoming Update” in the Bilge Pump forums? Well, 99 percent of the outstanding issues you’ve brought up to us are happening with this update. From major fixes to the smallest misplaced comma. If you’ve told us about it, we’ve tried our best to take care of it in this update. Thank you for your patience!

Weapon Upgrade Notifications
Don’t you hate it when you get a cool new weapon in your inventory, and you didn't even know it? Now you will! A button is going to flash off to the side of the screen to let you know when you’ve got an upgrade, and you’ll even be able to equip it by simply clicking the button.

Expanded Quest Sharing
We started out with Skull Island side quests back in May 2013, and now you’ll be able to share many more side quests when you’re grouped together! Here’s a link to those update notes if you need to get reacquainted with this often forgotten system: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/may23

~~

. . . and I think the rest of the items listed in the video are pretty self explanatory. In essence, we've made thousands of improvements from small to large! Including as the video so proudly announces, ". . . AND AN ART AND SOUND POLISH!"

We hope you enjoy them! See you in the Skyways!

- One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager
This is all great and stuff, but nothing could compare to saving an innocent world from the grip of the armada. Nothing could compare to entering a magnificent world, exploring its beauty. Nothing could be better than ending the tyranny of the armada yet again. The spiral needs help! And here I am, a long forgotten hero. Do the eagles remember my tales of glory? Have the unicorns of Sevilla given up hope for a saviour? What evil is going on in the heart of the armada, or scurvy evil nasty dark lords of Darkmoor. New world within next 2 months would be appreciated. 3 months max...

A lesson I have learnt while watching master chef and doing projects: You have 1 hour to make a dish, don't waste time making a super excellent dish that takes 2 hours. Many pirates have reached thier last string of patience.

Administrator
EMC99 on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
One-eyed Jack, I have a quick question. When you say weapon upgrade notification, do you mean that when you get a weapon better than the one currently equipped, a notice pops up? Same with weapons that you already have and level up to unlock?
Yes, when a new equippable weapon enters your inventory, a notice pops up on the right-hand side of the screen and let's you know. When the Test Realm is live, it would be nice to test that this also happens as you suggest: with weapons that you already have and level up to unlock. Let's keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Administrator
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Hi Jack, great info here. Thank you muchly. I have a quick question though. The new quests, Many, Moe & Jack and the stuff in traitor's Cave, can our higher pirates access these quests too? I have made my six already so I don't have a slot to start over.
The last information that I heard was that high-level pirates that have already gone through this area of the game will still be able to pick up these quests and complete them. When the Test Realm is live, let's double check this. Thanks!

Administrator
Kelsey Fireheart on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Wait, does this mean that our max pirates can't play through the new areas? Some people are upset since their accounts are full of maxed out pirates.

It would've been nice to go through the new areas with my max pirates. But since we can't, I was wondering if you will bring back Boochbeard to level us up and give us the quest to do the new area when we make a new pirate. I'd like to test it, but it'd be faster if Boochbeard gave us a hand. I miss him anyway! :(

Can't wait for next week, at least I think it will be! :P

PS: Please tell me that you guys fixed the part where things would get destroyed if the backpack and bank were full and I was placing something down in my house?
You should still be able to play through these areas with your max level pirates. Let's double check when we have a Test Realm.

Let's also double check your housing bug when we have a Test Realm. I believe it was on the bug list for this update. Let me know!

Administrator
The Loyal Swashbuc... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Hey

I do have two questions, if we have a character in the middle of their quests when it gets expanded what will happen to their main quest.

And secondly, when the free to play zone first got shortened, free to play pirates who already had their account created didn't have to pay for the chapters prologue 1 and prologue 2. When the expansion occurs will the two new premium areas have to be payed for from crowns players who are already past that section.

I would really love to hear some answers.
Noble Ryan Thompson
If a Pirate is in the middle of the Three Rats quests, the last I heard was that the new quest would over-ride the old quest. I believe this was an action item for our Quality Testers to double check, but that doesn't mean our players shouldn't triple it check it!

Re the previous Free to Play update: Good question, and I think I know the answer, but let me get back to you on this next week. I want to double check myself and see if anyone responded to an email I sent two-weeks ago that asked this very same question.

Administrator
CanaanBC on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
so my brother is confused will be there new books?
Not in this upcoming update.