Leaving messages, and a couple other things

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
cant KI make it so that if you and a friend have starred each other, you can leave messages for each other, and that would make it much eisier for friends to know whats going or why you arent on often, for an instance, my computer is technically buster right now, but it busted kinda on short notice, so my friend have no idea why i am not on (i am on often) but if i could leave messages, in the small amount of time i had before i went outa commisioning, i coulda just quick whipped up a note for her(seeing that she wasnt on) and just tell her i wont be on and why, and when she get on, she could click to view messages and bam, everything is clear.

and so that people wont abuse it, make it so that, only if your friend have starred you, and you have starred them can they leave a message, and the maximum messages you can have from one friends is four, and the same chat rules apply, exept for caps, you can type caps in the message, that is something that really eats at me, ya cant type in caps :P a lot of people love thier caps , and not to abuse it

THX!

o, one more thing, the RED DAMAGE! can you fix the red damage? its so annoying that often times you cant see what damage you hit because it wasnt critcal :P and i am pretty sure that is a very easy thing to fix.....

now i have a LOT more stuff to talk about, but not now

THX again lol

Cunning Xavier Veldon lvl 37 Swashbuckler

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Speed Switch on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
cant KI make it so that if you and a friend have starred each other, you can leave messages for each other, and that would make it much eisier for friends to know whats going or why you arent on often, for an instance, my computer is technically buster right now, but it busted kinda on short notice, so my friend have no idea why i am not on (i am on often) but if i could leave messages, in the small amount of time i had before i went outa commisioning, i coulda just quick whipped up a note for her(seeing that she wasnt on) and just tell her i wont be on and why, and when she get on, she could click to view messages and bam, everything is clear.

and so that people wont abuse it, make it so that, only if your friend have starred you, and you have starred them can they leave a message, and the maximum messages you can have from one friends is four, and the same chat rules apply, exept for caps, you can type caps in the message, that is something that really eats at me, ya cant type in caps :P a lot of people love thier caps , and not to abuse it

THX!

o, one more thing, the RED DAMAGE! can you fix the red damage? its so annoying that often times you cant see what damage you hit because it wasnt critcal :P and i am pretty sure that is a very easy thing to fix.....

now i have a LOT more stuff to talk about, but not now

THX again lol

Cunning Xavier Veldon lvl 37 Swashbuckler
is it the tone i posted this with that make no one reply? or no one think its a good idea ....

Administrator
Hi Your tone was fine with your message.

I'd like to address the part of your post that talks about "red" damage. I'm not sure if you were aware that the damage numbers have meaning behind them. The general rule with damage number colors is as follows:

  • Red is physical damage.
  • Yellow is magical damage.
  • White is critical damage.


Keep in mind that guns in Pirate101 are sparkshooters and thus deal magical damage; however, some Musketeer powers are marked as dealing physical damage. If there is some glaring oversight of damage categorization, let me know!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
Hi Your tone was fine with your message.

I'd like to address the part of your post that talks about "red" damage. I'm not sure if you were aware that the damage numbers have meaning behind them. The general rule with damage number colors is as follows:

  • Red is physical damage.
  • Yellow is magical damage.
  • White is critical damage.


Keep in mind that guns in Pirate101 are sparkshooters and thus deal magical damage; however, some Musketeer powers are marked as dealing physical damage. If there is some glaring oversight of damage categorization, let me know!
o no thats not a problem thx , o course i know the damage colors have a meaning behind them (like I'm really annoyed about the little Kobe's you have to fight for subodai's second promotion, the spirit bulls who have swashbucklers damage, but hit energy damage using will, and so boost TONS on buccaneers like subodai) *that is not a problem, just make the quest harder * i'm talking about if you are battling something that is tall, like an Oni, you cant see the red damage you hit, because it comes up above the enemies head, you guys play so you'll see if you are battle something like an sky dragon, or something else tall, you wont see the damage you hit unless it is critical, unless, you guys have VERY TALL monitors XD XD jk lol

THX!

*Finally lvl 50*

Xavier Veldon ;)

PS. what bout the rest of the post?
PPS. They, not really Kobes lol, just bull samurais like him XD

Administrator
Speed Switch on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
o no thats not a problem thx , o course i know the damage colors have a meaning behind them (like I'm really annoyed about the little Kobe's you have to fight for subodai's second promotion, the spirit bulls who have swashbucklers damage, but hit energy damage using will, and so boost TONS on buccaneers like subodai) *that is not a problem, just make the quest harder * i'm talking about if you are battling something that is tall, like an Oni, you cant see the red damage you hit, because it comes up above the enemies head, you guys play so you'll see if you are battle something like an sky dragon, or something else tall, you wont see the damage you hit unless it is critical, unless, you guys have VERY TALL monitors XD XD jk lol

THX!

*Finally lvl 50*

Xavier Veldon ;)

PS. what bout the rest of the post?
PPS. They, not really Kobes lol, just bull samurais like him XD
RIGHT!

I see what you're saying. I'll make sure to forward along your feedback on red damage numbers floating too high and your request for a message system.

I can't promise anything, but I will forward it along.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
RIGHT!

I see what you're saying. I'll make sure to forward along your feedback on red damage numbers floating too high and your request for a message system.

I can't promise anything, but I will forward it along.
wow thx i didnt expect ANY guarantee's not even a forward thx again! just my thoughts...lol

Community Leader
KI has received many requests for an in game messaging system over the years, with their Wizard101 game, and now I see the same request(s) for Pirate101.

I believe part of the reason they have never pursued this is the additional management/support such a system would require. Such messaging could be abused, so they would not only need to manage/monitor it, but have additional support representatives to handle complaints/problems.

It might also facilitate sharing of information that is not allowed, depending on how such messaging would be filtered.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
KI has received many requests for an in game messaging system over the years, with their Wizard101 game, and now I see the same request(s) for Pirate101.

I believe part of the reason they have never pursued this is the additional management/support such a system would require. Such messaging could be abused, so they would not only need to manage/monitor it, but have additional support representatives to handle complaints/problems.

It might also facilitate sharing of information that is not allowed, depending on how such messaging would be filtered.
just like text chat/open chat, (except with caps allowed) you can turn of messaging and report abusers. there will be nothing you can share through messaging that you cant share through regular text chat

Community Leader
Speed Switch on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
just like text chat/open chat, (except with caps allowed) you can turn of messaging and report abusers. there will be nothing you can share through messaging that you cant share through regular text chat
Well, they cant control their current live game chat.
The point I tried to make is that it would create a lot more work for KI to manage.

Let me put it another way.

A losing venture...
Costs more to implement, does not gain more income.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
Well, they cant control their current live game chat.
The point I tried to make is that it would create a lot more work for KI to manage.

Let me put it another way.

A losing venture...
Costs more to implement, does not gain more income.
its just like text chat, just leaving a message -_-

Community Leader
Speed Switch on May 1, 2013 wrote:
its just like text chat, just leaving a message -_-
I know things seem that simple to some, but its not just like "text" chat.
Leaving Messages would be a different process of sending/receiving/storing.

The amount of time and effort that KI would have to spend on implementing such a feature would not have any worthwhile returns. I doubt it would do anything to increase subscriptions, or to extend current content.

Quite the contrary, it would create additional work for them overall, more complaints, reports, etc. slowing their ability to add new content.

I understand the usefulness from a user standpoint, but thats where the "usefulness" ends, from KI's perspective, I do not see where the ends would justify the means, as they say.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
OFxSaint, would you like to leave messages? would you like to be able to do that, say ki had powers and they could just snap thier fingers all at the same time and make a message system, would you like it?.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Speed Switch on May 2, 2013 wrote:
OFxSaint, would you like to leave messages? would you like to be able to do that, say ki had powers and they could just snap thier fingers all at the same time and make a message system, would you like it?.
Why don't you just register at Pirate101 Central and tell your friends that name and you can leave messages to your hearts content. That way the game is not slowed down, KI does not have tons of more work to do that would take them away from expanding the game for our enjoyment. Truly they have enough to do to keep the game going and to deal with all our needs and wants. When you Register just use a name that can be said in limited chat and then you can tell your friends to go to get a message from you. If you want to leave a message for several friends just upload a screen shot and in the photo description, put your message there. That way if your friends know to look at your most recent photos, you can have any message waiting for them there. Other wise, if you both are registered you can leave each other messages to your heart's content. Just an idea.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
505
Speed Switch on May 2, 2013 wrote:
OFxSaint, would you like to leave messages? would you like to be able to do that, say ki had powers and they could just snap thier fingers all at the same time and make a message system, would you like it?.
I sure would but life doesn't work that way. A little kid would be like, Oh, ok. I want it. Now I know that it would have to cost something and that could come with Member to. Maybe for a thousand crowns even? Now that would be good. I would prefer the Thousand Crowns and the items could be like one of the those Red Mailboxes in Marleybone and just a question I'm wondering. Why can't you say mail but yet say letter?

Community Leader
Speed Switch on May 2, 2013 wrote:
OFxSaint, would you like to leave messages? would you like to be able to do that, say ki had powers and they could just snap thier fingers all at the same time and make a message system, would you like it?.
If I could snap my fingers and make stuff happen, I would be a billionaire.

Alas... I cannot, and I am not.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
wait you guys cant try to make me see anything until you see what i'm getting at

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
Speed Switch on May 4, 2013 wrote:
wait you guys cant try to make me see anything until you see what i'm getting at
Your idea is not bad at all. It's a great idea and would really help Pirates and Wizards alike see what's going on when they aren't on. Sort of like an in game email that always notifies the Pirate who sent it and when. Or like storing system for Text Chat. This isn't bad at all.

But here comes the problem:

What OFxSaint is trying to say is everything Kingsisle does costs money. They have to budget and manage everything they do with their updates. They have to set a limit on what they can do with Worlds and Animations and Artworks and Sound Effects and Voice overs and the list goes on.

What you're saying is something of an email/instant message/storing Text Chat system to notify our friends on things prior to or after an event. To implement this costs KI money. They have to spent hours righting a system and program that can manage, filter, and store this data. It wouldn't be just taking the Text Chat system and just adding in this and that. It's a new system that actually stores info and the message actually waits there until the recipiant sees it.

So let's say Kingsisle has to spend around $20K on this project. This project won't yield them a return on investment, as in they wont see $20K back in their pockets. The system wouldn't call for any crowns or gold and if it did have to spend 50c to send a message, I'm sure people would complain about that. Plus if the system gets bugged, KI will need to address that plus hire more staff members to watch the way the system works. If there is a huge problem, KI has to spend more time and money working on that over expansions.

The thing OFxSaint is saying is while this is a good idea, it's not going to get people to stay with the game or spend any more on the game. Expansions get people to spend on crowns and membership to complete quests in the Worlds. Crafting and Gardening in Wizard101 leave people something to do and occasionally buy crowns for seeds. The Pet System in Wizard101 gets people to stay on longer and buy elixirs, and mega snacks or plain old farming. But this chat system won't generate any kind of money back toward Kingsisle or get people to stay on for very long. It's a very nice and continually said idea but there can be cons that outweigh the pros. That's all these posters have been saying.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Cunning Finnigan S... on May 6, 2013 wrote:
Your idea is not bad at all. It's a great idea and would really help Pirates and Wizards alike see what's going on when they aren't on. Sort of like an in game email that always notifies the Pirate who sent it and when. Or like storing system for Text Chat. This isn't bad at all.

But here comes the problem:

What OFxSaint is trying to say is everything Kingsisle does costs money. They have to budget and manage everything they do with their updates. They have to set a limit on what they can do with Worlds and Animations and Artworks and Sound Effects and Voice overs and the list goes on.

What you're saying is something of an email/instant message/storing Text Chat system to notify our friends on things prior to or after an event. To implement this costs KI money. They have to spent hours righting a system and program that can manage, filter, and store this data. It wouldn't be just taking the Text Chat system and just adding in this and that. It's a new system that actually stores info and the message actually waits there until the recipiant sees it.

So let's say Kingsisle has to spend around $20K on this project. This project won't yield them a return on investment, as in they wont see $20K back in their pockets. The system wouldn't call for any crowns or gold and if it did have to spend 50c to send a message, I'm sure people would complain about that. Plus if the system gets bugged, KI will need to address that plus hire more staff members to watch the way the system works. If there is a huge problem, KI has to spend more time and money working on that over expansions.

The thing OFxSaint is saying is while this is a good idea, it's not going to get people to stay with the game or spend any more on the game. Expansions get people to spend on crowns and membership to complete quests in the Worlds. Crafting and Gardening in Wizard101 leave people something to do and occasionally buy crowns for seeds. The Pet System in Wizard101 gets people to stay on longer and buy elixirs, and mega snacks or plain old farming. But this chat system won't generate any kind of money back toward Kingsisle or get people to stay on for very long. It's a very nice and continually said idea but there can be cons that outweigh the pros. That's all these posters have been saying.
i understand what you mean, thx

sry ki

but also i did think of that but i was thinking maybe just maybe it would cost that much, just like if you were to go out and but a new pair of boots, of those boots costed *shrugs* 40 dollars, you arent gonna need the boots to brig you in 40$ because yo already have enough to sustain, you get what i mean?

Community Leader
Speed Switch on May 22, 2013 wrote:
i understand what you mean, thx

sry ki

but also i did think of that but i was thinking maybe just maybe it would cost that much, just like if you were to go out and but a new pair of boots, of those boots costed *shrugs* 40 dollars, you arent gonna need the boots to brig you in 40$ because yo already have enough to sustain, you get what i mean?
Oceanpainting, thank you for explaining what I was trying to say (i didnt want to write a book... lol).

Zantaro,
It seems to me your basically saying that KI could afford to do this, so why dont they?

Because KI is a business, they are not a charity, they are not a public service.
Businesses dont spend thousands of dollars developing something and just say here you go for free, they need to see returns on their investments. Their stock holders demand this. Some businesses invest in charity, but this would be investing into their own system, and not seen as a charity, so it would result in being a somewhat wasted investment (because it would have ZERO returns).

In order to get any returns on such functionality they would have to charge more for it, and I dont think that would go over very well.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on May 22, 2013 wrote:
Oceanpainting, thank you for explaining what I was trying to say (i didnt want to write a book... lol).

Zantaro,
It seems to me your basically saying that KI could afford to do this, so why dont they?

Because KI is a business, they are not a charity, they are not a public service.
Businesses dont spend thousands of dollars developing something and just say here you go for free, they need to see returns on their investments. Their stock holders demand this. Some businesses invest in charity, but this would be investing into their own system, and not seen as a charity, so it would result in being a somewhat wasted investment (because it would have ZERO returns).

In order to get any returns on such functionality they would have to charge more for it, and I dont think that would go over very well.
OK then, so, are they receiving pay from the tranportalors?

Community Leader
Speed Switch on May 23, 2013 wrote:
OK then, so, are they receiving pay from the tranportalors?
Comparing apples to oranges will serve no purpose.

And yes, they charge crown players real crowns (unless changed when going live) for use of the Transportalators, and YES, there has been a lot of negative feedback about that (similar to how I would expect negative feedback on charging for a message system). There has even been negative feedback on the gold price for using Tranportalators.

Realistically, this doesnt compare to messaging. The Tranportalators are KIs responding to the numerous complaints about travel within the game, which effects game play and game play experience to a degree it could effect overall satisfaction of the product. Many have threatened discontinuing subscriptions, and many would likely not subscribe if they felt game travel was an issue. Travel concerns were becoming game killers... they are addressing it to keep the games marketability viable.

We have done without messages for years, such a request would not be categorized in the same fashion.
It would not directly effect game play/experience.

Your idea is not a bad idea, IMO its just not a realistically feasible idea for KI to RE-consider (this isnt a new suggestion either).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on May 23, 2013 wrote:
Comparing apples to oranges will serve no purpose.

And yes, they charge crown players real crowns (unless changed when going live) for use of the Transportalators, and YES, there has been a lot of negative feedback about that (similar to how I would expect negative feedback on charging for a message system). There has even been negative feedback on the gold price for using Tranportalators.

Realistically, this doesnt compare to messaging. The Tranportalators are KIs responding to the numerous complaints about travel within the game, which effects game play and game play experience to a degree it could effect overall satisfaction of the product. Many have threatened discontinuing subscriptions, and many would likely not subscribe if they felt game travel was an issue. Travel concerns were becoming game killers... they are addressing it to keep the games marketability viable.

We have done without messages for years, such a request would not be categorized in the same fashion.
It would not directly effect game play/experience.

Your idea is not a bad idea, IMO its just not a realistically feasible idea for KI to RE-consider (this isnt a new suggestion either).
i have just realized; me and OfxSaint have made more than one hot topic because of fussing, *sigh* look, all i am trying to say is, Ki don't have to reap profit from every single feature they add. did they make money from doing the extra work to put in a bazaar? no. BUT it will attract more players to the game, which will bring in more money.

Ki made the game for the players. thats what they are paid to do, the more satisfying the game is, the more players, the more players, the more members, the more members, the more money, get it? a message system my not scrape them money right of the bat, but some players will probably say (like me) "oh look, they even added a messaging system, and they finally updated! you know what? i'ma go ahead and subscribe."

Ki improves the game whether its gonna get them money right there or not, they add things players request because it will attract more players, making more money same way. understand?

Community Leader
Ok, now we are starting to get somewhere. I understand what your saying, have somewhat understood it from the start, however I disagree with you. Adding leaving messages would be a feature that is very unlikely to attract more players to the game, it would not technically have anything to do with the game itself.

Realize that it is NOT text chat, its a complete system that would have to be developed, KI would also need additional customer service staff to handle support, and complaints. Not to mention that it would grant the ability for users to pass personal information that is otherwise prohibited. There are ways to get around the filters, and unless someone is reviewing everyones messages, they could be breaking the rules without recourse.

The end result is that such a feature would cost KI more than KI could possibly gain.

KI did NOT make the game for players.
KI made the game for profit, they are a business, if they werent going to make a profit, they would not have started developing the game/company. Its unlikely any financial institution would have helped them start their company either.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
YES they did make it for the players, its a game man, of course it is for the players, the people who pay money to PLAY IT, what did you think they made it for, themselves to play?? the whole deal is, they made this game, MAINLY for people to play, people pay money and they can play the game to the fullest, ki makes the game better, and people keep playing.

Saying KI did NOT make the game for the players, they made it for the profit, is the same thing as saying to me Ki did not make the game for the players, they made it for the players. because it is the players which i speak of that BRINGS in the profit.

maintaining will be close to as easy as it is with text chat, same filter apply *minus the deprivation of CAPS* reporting will be same thing. miss use it ONCE and its suspended, for however long the meanest guy on ki sees fit. note, you can only send messages between each other IF you have both starred each other AND the recipient clicks "Allow Messaging from this friend"

i think it will be pretty darn hard to abuse it without Ki knowing, and lastly, you have to have been a member for 2+ months OR have spent 12,000 crowns on the game for you to gain the messaging system. although i regret saying that because you shouldn't have to pay money to interact with your friends.

Community Leader
Speed Switch on May 24, 2013 wrote:
YES they did make it for the players, its a game man, of course it is for the players, the people who pay money to PLAY IT, what did you think they made it for, themselves to play?? the whole deal is, they made this game, MAINLY for people to play, people pay money and they can play the game to the fullest, ki makes the game better, and people keep playing.

Saying KI did NOT make the game for the players, they made it for the profit, is the same thing as saying to me Ki did not make the game for the players, they made it for the players. because it is the players which i speak of that BRINGS in the profit.

maintaining will be close to as easy as it is with text chat, same filter apply *minus the deprivation of CAPS* reporting will be same thing. miss use it ONCE and its suspended, for however long the meanest guy on ki sees fit. note, you can only send messages between each other IF you have both starred each other AND the recipient clicks "Allow Messaging from this friend"

i think it will be pretty darn hard to abuse it without Ki knowing, and lastly, you have to have been a member for 2+ months OR have spent 12,000 crowns on the game for you to gain the messaging system. although i regret saying that because you shouldn't have to pay money to interact with your friends.
What you started saying was just an easy extension of text chat, is getting more and more complicated by the minute.

I dont think that I need to make any further points on the subject.

Lets just agree, that we disagree.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV