Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

KI, was cesare Borgia an intentional reference?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 06, 2011
so i was in monquista the other day. i walked through st. bonobo's abbey, checking out the vendors. a bunch of people had side quests, so i stopped to check them out. one monkey who was giving a side quest was named Cesare Borgia. Cesare Borgia is the name of the villain from assassins creed brotherhood. the monkey has the same mustache and Cesare, and the voice actor for the Cesare in pirate101 sounds a lot like Andreas Apergis,
the voice actor of Cesare from assassins creed. i took on his quest to see if i could find any more resemblances. in the quest dialogue, Cesare says his father is a bishop. in assassins creed, Cesare's father is the pope. Cesare from pirate101 also makes a reference to his brother, Giovanni, another character from assassins creed. it probably isn't part of this, but the quest ends with you talking to the bishop. the bishop is holding a staff with not a cross on the end, but an X standing up, the Templar symbol. Cesare and his father in assassins creed are both Templars.
ki, please tell me this was a reference to assassins creed brotherhood and that i'm not just a crazy person that noticed a coincidence.
thanks
Finnigan Bristol, level 13

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
iateaunicorn12 on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
so i was in monquista the other day. i walked through st. bonobo's abbey, checking out the vendors. a bunch of people had side quests, so i stopped to check them out. one monkey who was giving a side quest was named Cesare Borgia. Cesare Borgia is the name of the villain from assassins creed brotherhood. the monkey has the same mustache and Cesare, and the voice actor for the Cesare in pirate101 sounds a lot like Andreas Apergis,
the voice actor of Cesare from assassins creed. i took on his quest to see if i could find any more resemblances. in the quest dialogue, Cesare says his father is a bishop. in assassins creed, Cesare's father is the pope. Cesare from pirate101 also makes a reference to his brother, Giovanni, another character from assassins creed. it probably isn't part of this, but the quest ends with you talking to the bishop. the bishop is holding a staff with not a cross on the end, but an X standing up, the Templar symbol. Cesare and his father in assassins creed are both Templars.
ki, please tell me this was a reference to assassins creed brotherhood and that i'm not just a crazy person that noticed a coincidence.
thanks
Finnigan Bristol, level 13
Hey, Finniagan! Cesare Borgia was a historical person, who lived during the renaissance in Italy. Andd yes, his father was a pope. He also had an infamous sister, Lucrezia Borgia!

Ensign
Jan 12, 2014
It is most likely a reference to the real life Cesare Borgia, from which your AC version came from! (Though I'm always a little amused that he's found in Monquista and not Valencia, but fair is fair.)

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Assassin's Creed uses a lot of historical references, and they do their research. While they do bend the truth occasionally for plot and use poetic license, they do have valid information on most of their historical characters. Both of those people actually existed, and while they might not be attempting to become pope for an apple of Eden and the welfare of the the Templars, they did have religious backgrounds, and not as corrupt as the game might make them out to be. As much as I like assassin's creed, they have a tendency to make any slightly corrupt historical figure a villain. King George? He's a Templar. Mildly corrupt religious figure? Templar. This guy littered in the war of 1812? Definitely a Templar. Also, although it would mess up AC 3's entire plot, half of the signatures on the Declaration of Independence, including Washington, were suspected to be part of the free masons, a group believed to have relation to the Templars, and definitely more relation than Great Britain.
F.R. Holystone
Lv 65

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I think it's more of a reference to the actual person. The historical Borgia was son of a pope and brother to the infamous Lucrezia Borgia as well as Giovanni and Gioffre. You can look the Borgia family up easily enough.

OTOH, maybe it was a reference to the other game, which was referencing history itself.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Kesorne on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
It is most likely a reference to the real life Cesare Borgia, from which your AC version came from! (Though I'm always a little amused that he's found in Monquista and not Valencia, but fair is fair.)
Welcome to the message boards Kesorne. Looks like your fellow Marauders are right in agreement with you.

Ensign
Jul 06, 2011
huh... i didn't know he was a real person. awesome sauce. thanks for replying guys!