Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Item: Voodoo Statue and its given Ability

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 18, 2012
Hi,

just got the following item for my lvl10 Witchdoctor: Voodoo Statue. This Item gives the following Ability Card: Critical Strike (guaranteed critical strike, as companion cards). My question is this: During battals in which i have equipped this item, i do have the critical strike card in my "hand", but its greyed out, i.e. cant be selected (and yes, enemies were in range 4 of this spell). I have currently a staff equipped. am i to deduce that this (witchdoctor) item is not useable with staffs? so if i want to use it, i have to get a suboptimal weapon (regarding my stats)?

thanks for answers

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I am thinking that it gives one of your companions a 100% critical strike. Or any friendly ally. Try targeting a friendly on the battleboard, and see if that works.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
bourbaki on Oct 21, 2012 wrote:
Hi,

just got the following item for my lvl10 Witchdoctor: Voodoo Statue. This Item gives the following Ability Card: Critical Strike (guaranteed critical strike, as companion cards). My question is this: During battals in which i have equipped this item, i do have the critical strike card in my "hand", but its greyed out, i.e. cant be selected (and yes, enemies were in range 4 of this spell). I have currently a staff equipped. am i to deduce that this (witchdoctor) item is not useable with staffs? so if i want to use it, i have to get a suboptimal weapon (regarding my stats)?

thanks for answers
I'm really hoping KI takes a serious look at the gear and cards that come with them. With my Witch Doctor, I received a few pieces of gear with cards that I could never use, such as Backstab w/Bleeding .... really? Unless you change your gear to be able to use the card provided (which would mess up your stats and/or attacks), it's pretty useless.

I think as time goes on and KI tweaks the game, it will be better, but in the meantime, if you like the stats and it works for you, go for it.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
As I understand it, Critical Strike is for Melee weapons only which means that you need a Melee weapon to make it work. Staff weapons are not Melee weapons unless it says something like Staffy/Stabby or Staffy/Smashy or Staffy/Slashy.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
bourbaki on Oct 21, 2012 wrote:
Hi,

thanks for answers
I have recently received the Assassin's boots as a drop reward. For Swashbucklers only, it is a guarranteed critical strike, up to 3 blocks away from target.

The card has a picture of an arrow striking it's target.

My Swashbuckler can not use this ability, it is greyed out as well. Now, I am assuming that a SHOOTY weapon is needed in order to use that power. I have yet to try that out, but eventually, unless I find out here in the forums, I'll test it.

Ensign
Jul 18, 2012
things i have learned since posting:

there is a critical strike card with range greater than 1, a companion has it (i think the otter of the preivateer), as far as i can tell, this specific card has a hidden condition to use shooty waepons (it is not spelled out on card), so probably ur right, in order to use it, i have to get shooty weapon (which is not optimal for wd)

quick question on the side : is there a critical strike card for staffs? do someone of u know of a "staffy" companion with such a card; or an item ?

Developer
BrynnerOfReign on Oct 21, 2012 wrote:
I'm really hoping KI takes a serious look at the gear and cards that come with them. With my Witch Doctor, I received a few pieces of gear with cards that I could never use, such as Backstab w/Bleeding .... really? Unless you change your gear to be able to use the card provided (which would mess up your stats and/or attacks), it's pretty useless.

I think as time goes on and KI tweaks the game, it will be better, but in the meantime, if you like the stats and it works for you, go for it.
Hey folks... This has come up in a few places but I am happy to answer it here as well.

We will definitely be adding (as soon as possible) weapon combinations for every class to take advantage of all the power cards.

So you will see a Staffy/Shooty weapon, and a Staffy/Slashy, etc.

We will also be reviewing all of the power card descriptions for ways that we can make it explicitly clear what kind of gear you need to have equipped to use the card (if any).

In the meantime-- put those items in the bank!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Ratbeard on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
Hey folks... This has come up in a few places but I am happy to answer it here as well.

We will definitely be adding (as soon as possible) weapon combinations for every class to take advantage of all the power cards.

We will also be reviewing all of the power card descriptions for ways that we can make it explicitly clear what kind of gear you need to have equipped to use the card (if any).

Thanks, Ratbeard!

As I mentioned before, I know KI will be doing a lot of tweaking here and there to add and delete things as time goes on.

I've already been stashing away those items with cards, knowing I would be able to use them at some point.

WOOHOO ..... I mean, ARGHHH, matey!

Lazy Lenora Leech
Buccaneer L50
Nautical L50

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:

That explains a lot. I had gotten a few items for my buccaneer that seemed to require a ranged weapon and was confused as to whether I should go for that bonus at the expense of equipping non-strength based weapons.

Will the weapon combos for Buccaneer, let's say, still get bonuses from STR? It would be interesting is the combo you came up with for STR based Smashy/Shooty was a throwing spear. That way, it still makes sense that STR and not AGI would give you bonuses. The same could work for say the Witchdoctor class if the Spooky/Slashy was a wand and a voodoo doll he controls to slash someone with a needle. Just thinking out loud here.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Developer
Talkin The Plank on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
That explains a lot. I had gotten a few items for my buccaneer that seemed to require a ranged weapon and was confused as to whether I should go for that bonus at the expense of equipping non-strength based weapons.

Will the weapon combos for Buccaneer, let's say, still get bonuses from STR? It would be interesting is the combo you came up with for STR based Smashy/Shooty was a throwing spear. That way, it still makes sense that STR and not AGI would give you bonuses. The same could work for say the Witchdoctor class if the Spooky/Slashy was a wand and a voodoo doll he controls to slash someone with a needle. Just thinking out loud here.
Witchdoctors are first up on my list for new weapon sets-- wands with bucklers, wands with pistols, staff and sword, and so on.

In the meantime, all of the other classes should be able to equip a pistol & sword combo and at least be able to use all the powers, even if the weapon isn't a perfect match for your damage talent (smashy, slashy, stabby, etc.)

Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
bourbaki on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
things i have learned since posting:

there is a critical strike card with range greater than 1, a companion has it (i think the otter of the preivateer), as far as i can tell, this specific card has a hidden condition to use shooty waepons (it is not spelled out on card), so probably ur right, in order to use it, i have to get shooty weapon (which is not optimal for wd)

quick question on the side : is there a critical strike card for staffs? do someone of u know of a "staffy" companion with such a card; or an item ?
you are right but Luis Le bisque has it too and you can receive him by being a musketeer and going into the tavern

and i have one other question, what lvl does ensign Emmett get promoted to leutenate emmet

my in game name is dylan webb and if you see me i will most likly have a frigate ship and be welcome to join my ship.

thanks bye

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Emmett gains promotion at around level 15.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
Witchdoctors are first up on my list for new weapon sets-- wands with bucklers, wands with pistols, staff and sword, and so on.

In the meantime, all of the other classes should be able to equip a pistol & sword combo and at least be able to use all the powers, even if the weapon isn't a perfect match for your damage talent (smashy, slashy, stabby, etc.)
Pricklybeard now will this mean that witchdoctors could be the best school like ice for some time cause I'm going to make a witchdoctor cause they have tons of companions and ranged attacks, and now combos!