Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

How to get more players to pirate101

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
DuranteRamses87 on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:
My question is if there was a movie, who would play me?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Gilbert Gottfried

Ensign
Jun 26, 2009
6
Let me just say this because I don't say it enough, and I do complain a lot.

I love both of these games.

Kingsisle you've made a wonderful product.

Please don't let it go to waste.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
672
anecorbie on May 26, 2017 wrote:
Books and paperbacks would be the better idea; a graphic novel depicting the events that lead up to the young, orphan pirate being rescued would allow interest in the game without concentrating on one specific class of pirate from the game.
Actually, that WOULD be a problem, since there are 25 possible ways for the young, orphan pirate to get to the point prior to being arrested by the Armada.

Remember, there are 5 ways for your parents to die, and five worlds where you are raised. That's 25 different scenarios.

Now, you want to skip past that, to where he was arrested? Now you get into his class, because there are 5 ways to get arrested based on your class.

You want to move past that? There isn't much past that to make a graphic novel from.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
672
anecorbie on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:
Gilbert Gottfried
LOL!!! Anecorbie, you can be cruel at times...

Ensign
Jun 26, 2009
6
Let this game run for as long as you can get enough support for it.

However(if you're not already, which would be awesome if you are) start developing wiz / pirate 2. Or maybe combine them for some hybrid adventures in the spiral.

You have a huge fanbase. You will get all your fans back, maybe ok 80%. The rest will come back eventually when you get more hype from all the new fans you will gain.

Take advantage of the CCG aspect of your games. No other games visuals come even close when playing your cards. With a new engine you could really do something special. Market is saturated, double down on what your amazing at and got awards for. I know with this talent pool this can't be it.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
42
What makes video game adaptations so terrible is that they take away the immersion the source material has. That said, if you want to make a novel, don't make it an adaptation. Rather, I propose the idea of telling a unique and original story taking place in the same universe. Arkham Unhinged is a good example, serving as a prequel to Arkham City and telling its own original story. The comic line itself helps tell the tale of Arkham City, while also letting puzzle pieces fall into place. Pirate101 is an example of a game that will never work as an adaptation of any kind. You make your own origin story, and if KingsIsle were to make the protagonist origin a mutiny survivor who grew up in Krokotopia, and was arrested for practicing hoodoo, few would feel represented. While you can't name a good video game movie, you certainly can't name a good role-playing game movie and never will. The defining feature of an RPG is its immersive world and the customization. If Rockstar were to make a movie or comic out of Red Dead Redemption, under no circumstance would it work; you, the player, make the choices. You're the puppeteer behind John Marston and pull the strings. If a decision you didn't make was in the movie, you'd neither feel represented nor comfortable with the outcome. Analogies aside, I again propose a story that doesn't match up directly with Wizard or Pirate--rather, a prequel or an entirely new story. Either way, if you want to make this graphic novel work, you can't make the pirate we play as the main focus. It'd defeat the purpose of the game and nobody would feel represented. Perhaps we could read a tale about the misadventures of Boochbeard and Gandry, or see the events prior to Wizard through Malistaire's eyes. Once more, I strongly oppose the idea of making the orphaned pirate the main focus. I don't think it'd be good nor do well.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Max DeGroot on Jun 2, 2017 wrote:
Actually, that WOULD be a problem, since there are 25 possible ways for the young, orphan pirate to get to the point prior to being arrested by the Armada.

Remember, there are 5 ways for your parents to die, and five worlds where you are raised. That's 25 different scenarios.

Now, you want to skip past that, to where he was arrested? Now you get into his class, because there are 5 ways to get arrested based on your class.

You want to move past that? There isn't much past that to make a graphic novel from.
I was envisioning a prequel, covering Marco Pollo's journey to El Dorado, the Napoleguinic war, Avery's successes, and the Prophecy that sends Boochbeard & Gandry on the hunt for the orphaned pirate.

Ensign
Jun 24, 2013
33
Mr Talon on Jun 3, 2017 wrote:
Let this game run for as long as you can get enough support for it.

However(if you're not already, which would be awesome if you are) start developing wiz / pirate 2. Or maybe combine them for some hybrid adventures in the spiral.

You have a huge fanbase. You will get all your fans back, maybe ok 80%. The rest will come back eventually when you get more hype from all the new fans you will gain.

Take advantage of the CCG aspect of your games. No other games visuals come even close when playing your cards. With a new engine you could really do something special. Market is saturated, double down on what your amazing at and got awards for. I know with this talent pool this can't be it.
Comments like these are the reason why I strongly believe that the game developers should be looking at most discussions on the message boards, because this is a spectacular idea.

Ensign
Apr 13, 2013
24
I do agree there should be a movie, but there would be a couple problems. First, the budget. Many new movies you've seen a couple months, weeks, or a year ago, had budgets of over a million and rarely even a billion dollars to create. If Kingisle were to make a movie, they would put both Pirate101 and Wizard101 at great risk of getting shut down, because Kingisle wouldn't have enough money to keep both games up and running.

Secondly, the audience. There won't be enough people to watch the movie for Kingisle to get back the money they spent. When the game came out, like when Pirate101 and Wizard101 had commercials, it would have been quite popular. But with the proceeding years, I've yet to see another commercial for P101 or W101. If they made a movie around when the game was popular, Kingisle would be able to make the money back invested into a movie. But now, the game's popularity has overall declined, meaning that it would be hard to actually get people to watch the movie.

And lastly, the critics. The movie critics are important in the movie industry; they decide whether a movie will be a flop or a winner. There's a chance that the movie may get bad review from movie critics because it is following what other game devs did: Make a movie. It may become Cliche for Kingisle to make a movie which would follow the last company that did so.

A movie may lead W101 or P101 on a 50/50 path, but if Kingisle will have good planning, a perfect plot/story, a good combine of characters, they may be able to pull it off. But, for the sake of keeping P101 and W101 up and not shut down such as Club Penguin, or Toon Town (Rip both I shall never forget you), I say no movie until Kingisle can guarantee a success, otherwise P101 and W101 will join the chest of shutdowns, just like Club Penguin and Toon Town.

Hardy Portia Zest- lvl 70

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
53
I looked at your replies you guys gave me an idea. Yes a movie is expensive but what if: king isle does an animated series for tv. It could be maybe put on nickelodeon or show me or Netflix. It would be an exclusive and would be a series of show or shows dating before Kane. Maybe small stories you guys suggested.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:
Gilbert Gottfried
You'd be surprised what you can live through....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Max DeGroot on Jun 2, 2017 wrote:
LOL!!! Anecorbie, you can be cruel at times...
She's the only person I hug. I love how she hates me with such genuine-ness

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:
Gilbert Gottfried
I would make you somebody like Elizabeth Taylor..... if she was alive in her prime.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
DuranteRamses87 on Jun 7, 2017 wrote:
I would make you somebody like Elizabeth Taylor..... if she was alive in her prime.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Ok, Dante, I think we should concentrate on the subject, BTW I don't hate you - I was teasing you & I only do that to people I like. Katherine Hepburn is more my type of lady.

@ Lukeskywalker1313: the idea of doing a weekly animation adventure show is intriguing, but it is also just as time consuming and expensive as a movie. But, perhaps I can suggest an alternative: when Disney's Pixie Hollow MMO was being produced they had short animation clips on their station, this caused interest for the game.
If KI was able to create a short clip ( like a Rogue's Gallery, only with a bit more action ) to be seen on stations that appeal to young audiences & their families, would that do as much as a commercial?

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
567
I am imagining what it would be like if they got a Thanksgiving parade float... If I was in it for whatever reason, I would so revive the "Squidward hit the dab!" meme

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Jun 7, 2017 wrote:
Ok, Dante, I think we should concentrate on the subject, BTW I don't hate you - I was teasing you & I only do that to people I like. Katherine Hepburn is more my type of lady.

@ Lukeskywalker1313: the idea of doing a weekly animation adventure show is intriguing, but it is also just as time consuming and expensive as a movie. But, perhaps I can suggest an alternative: when Disney's Pixie Hollow MMO was being produced they had short animation clips on their station, this caused interest for the game.
If KI was able to create a short clip ( like a Rogue's Gallery, only with a bit more action ) to be seen on stations that appeal to young audiences & their families, would that do as much as a commercial?
I know it's good natured ribbing, I should have wrote "hate" didn't mean it in the true sense of the word.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
DuranteRamses87 on Jun 9, 2017 wrote:
I know it's good natured ribbing, I should have wrote "hate" didn't mean it in the true sense of the word.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Ok, just one more comment on this, then we really should stay on topic:
You would be played by Al Pacino. I'm thinking of him in the movie Scent of a Woman ( the tango scene. ) He got an Oscar for that movie, I think.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Jun 10, 2017 wrote:
Ok, just one more comment on this, then we really should stay on topic:
You would be played by Al Pacino. I'm thinking of him in the movie Scent of a Woman ( the tango scene. ) He got an Oscar for that movie, I think.
Suave.... (anyways) back on topic. I still think even small regular updates like once a month would be a good idea. It would show a commitment to this game. I think the players lost faith in the development team because waits were so long and that other game were given more attention.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
Lukeskywalker1313 on May 22, 2017 wrote:
this idea may seem far fetched to most people but bare this in mind. Create a pirate101 movie for the large screen. This has been used by insomniac, WoW, Assassins creed and other games to bring back players when they had a hard time with members. The story could be like the original game just condensed. The movie would be drawn and would be easy to make. It would easy bring a ton of people.
Oh, Lukeskywalker1313, it's an amazing idea; I have already considered something to the effect myself!

I think the best thing is to have a TV series (on TV and, of course, to put on discs for those who use Blu-Ray/DVD) so that there can be multiple episodes so it won't have to be super-duper condensed. If a movie was that condensed, it might be a little too cheesy because it might miss a few parts. All seven Worlds?

Unless it's like the Lord of the Rings Series' movie length!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
Mr Talon on May 23, 2017 wrote:
While I wouldn't mind a Pirate/Wiz101 movie, I think that making a movie for the big screen might be a bit cost prohibitive.

The Warcraft movie budget was $160 Million. If not for the overseas sales it would have been a huge flop.
Assassin's Creed's budget was $120 Million. Both these movies barely made their money back. Not saying that much would have to be invested in a movie (There are a lot of gems out there that cost way less), but that's a monumental undertaking and we can barely get updates. Big screen might be a bit out of reach.

However there are some less costly but effective ways to draw in more players that other games have done.

Books/paperbacks - Lots of developers use this to draw in a different audience who might not even be into their game. It's also a great way to expand on the lore in the game, give more insight into characters we come across in the game.

Webisodes - Great way to start some buzz. Does the same as books but now you can add visuals to your stories.

Good old fashioned commercials.

Produce more content.

Kingsisle cannot rely solely on players to draw in other players. If that's the case we are in the end times. Pirates Repent!
L.O.L.!

I think, still, that a movie and/or TV series (how does The Spiral Adventures sound of a name to you? ) would be best, but still great ideas nonetheless!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
Mr Talon on May 23, 2017 wrote:
While I wouldn't mind a Pirate/Wiz101 movie, I think that making a movie for the big screen might be a bit cost prohibitive.

The Warcraft movie budget was $160 Million. If not for the overseas sales it would have been a huge flop.
Assassin's Creed's budget was $120 Million. Both these movies barely made their money back. Not saying that much would have to be invested in a movie (There are a lot of gems out there that cost way less), but that's a monumental undertaking and we can barely get updates. Big screen might be a bit out of reach.

However there are some less costly but effective ways to draw in more players that other games have done.

Books/paperbacks - Lots of developers use this to draw in a different audience who might not even be into their game. It's also a great way to expand on the lore in the game, give more insight into characters we come across in the game.

Webisodes - Great way to start some buzz. Does the same as books but now you can add visuals to your stories.

Good old fashioned commercials.

Produce more content.

Kingsisle cannot rely solely on players to draw in other players. If that's the case we are in the end times. Pirates Repent!
Oh, and welcome to the Message Boards, Mr. Talon!

My name's Helpful Aurora Parker, a Level 61 Swashbuckler. If you need help of any sort, please let any of us know! We always want to help.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
Short Kai Otway on May 24, 2017 wrote:
He's right. WoW and Assassin's creed where bad at the box office
Welcome to the Message Boards, Kai!

I'm Helpful Aurora Parker, a Level 61 Swashbuckler and a Message Boards Marauder! Glad of you to join us and if you need any help, please let us know (we love to help)!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
anecorbie on May 25, 2017 wrote:
Also, the pirate101 movie would be going in direct compettion with Disney's super PotC franchise - P101 wouldn't have a chance!
That's why I'm thinking of a series!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
anecorbie on May 26, 2017 wrote:
Books and paperbacks would be the better idea; a graphic novel depicting the events that lead up to the young, orphan pirate being rescued would allow interest in the game without concentrating on one specific class of pirate from the game.
That's a great idea! How about you have books (in accordance with the TV series, of course ) and there can be five different ones for the five different Classes! As for me and what I'm going to get if this becomes true, Swashbuckler all the way!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
Lukeskywalker1313 on May 27, 2017 wrote:
A novel or comic would not work. You have to realize people don't read anymore. I hate reading and so do most of the people of my generation. Between school forced to read, and life, people no longer read. And it's a good thinking, writing, reading is a dead art.
That's not true, Lukeskywalker1313. You may hate reading, but I (and probably many others) do not. I have never given up on reading, nor have probably a lot of other people! Although most of this generation prefers Kindle, I still think a Pirate101 graphic novel can be famous.