Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How do I use Flanking?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 24, 2009
Hi! I have the ability Flanking, but I'm not sure exactly when my pirate will use it. Sometimes she does when she passes by a monster, or attacks from the side, but sometimes she doesn't. Is there a guide somewhere that shows exactly how Flanking is supposed to work?

Thanks!

Ensign
Jan 28, 2016
Hello,
Flanking is not "preferred" epic for pirates, because it takes time to set up. So this is how it looks. E is for enemy, and C is your companion/you, and C* is your companion/you with flanking/doomspell/crossfire.

C*
C*EC E
C

That's when flanking occurs. Basically, when you sandwich and enemy. Let's say one of your companion has flank and another is a musk or witch, flanking will still occur. If BOTH your companion (or you) knows flanking, the enemy will get hit by BOTH your team. Another thing you should know is that their is another variant for flanking, and that's crossfire (for musk) and doomspell (for witch). So what happens when an enemy is sandwitched between a different class of flanking? Flanking will still occur.

Flanking can occur when an enemy walks into the pattern, or you go to a spot where you sandwich and enemy.

So I don't really recommend flanking/doomspell/crossfire to any companion what so ever. It takes time to set up, while the enemy can hit you. Don't know why Fan Flanders comes with flanking, but I would get rid of it if it was possible.

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
To activate flanking, you need to attack an enemy directly opposite a melee companion/ally.
Meaning that these will work:

() ()
()
()

But these won't work.

() <----| Unless you give him Crossfire instead
()
()

They only activate during the flanker's movement phase or when an opponent moves and stops in between a flanker and a melee unit (or in some cases, when you pay for a henchmen and they spawn between an enemy flanker but that's a bug)

It won't activate if the flanker's already in position (however it'll activate again if both units change angles and it's best to keep the flanker's last for better opportunities)

Flanking 2 is not worth it since the chance of you flanking two enemies in one round is extremely low.

Flanking 3 is annoying to face against but not worth spending all those Training Points.

Flanking 4-5 is a complete waste.

Works well when paired with Relentless.

Hope I made this clear

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you're a swashbuckler, Flanking is death to any hide you're using. So, unless you know what you're doing, I would avoid this talent ( if you're a swashbuckler. )
However, this is an excellent talent for buccaneers and privateers.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Flanking is great for a pirate who likes to move around a lot during battle, and plays with a mostly melee team that also moves a lot. However, if you aren't that type of captain, you wouldn't find much value in it...

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
Joseph K on Apr 23, 2017 wrote:
To activate flanking, you need to attack an enemy directly opposite a melee companion/ally.
Meaning that these will work:

() ()
()
()

But these won't work.

() <----| Unless you give him Crossfire instead
()
()

They only activate during the flanker's movement phase or when an opponent moves and stops in between a flanker and a melee unit (or in some cases, when you pay for a henchmen and they spawn between an enemy flanker but that's a bug)

It won't activate if the flanker's already in position (however it'll activate again if both units change angles and it's best to keep the flanker's last for better opportunities)

Flanking 2 is not worth it since the chance of you flanking two enemies in one round is extremely low.

Flanking 3 is annoying to face against but not worth spending all those Training Points.

Flanking 4-5 is a complete waste.

Works well when paired with Relentless.

Hope I made this clear
Oh dear my illustrations got messed up. Um.... pretend that didn't exist lol

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Joseph K on Apr 24, 2017 wrote:
Oh dear my illustrations got messed up. Um.... pretend that didn't exist lol
Yeah, I was wondering how you managed to get 8 companions on the battlefield.

But this does illustrate something:

If you do a lot of team play, flanking is far more likely to be activated, because you will have far more opportunities.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I found the explanations a bit confusing. Part of the trouble is with the illustration getting messed up. I thought that flanking worked when any crew member was next to an enemy, and you moved a crew member with flanking into the sandwiching position.
What if you have 3 crew in a line and facing 3 enemy? If you take a flanking crew member and walk them behind the enemy, passing through 2 flanking positions to attack the third enemy flanked, would they flank the first as they pass? Or would the first be skipped, and the second attacked because it is diagonal flanked by where you are going? Sometimes I create traps for the enemy when I have a flanking crew member up. I'll put the flanker up front with one space between him and as many crew as I can, and let the enemy walk into those spaces. Then I'll move him to get another flank on his next attack. I kind of like planing for flanking. I've found the one Fannie comes with can be handy.

Ensign
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks to everyone for all the answers and suggestions. I'll keep playing with it and see how it goes. So far, I like it! Any more ideas or discoveries about flanking, please post them. I will, too.

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
Calamity Finch on Apr 24, 2017 wrote:
I found the explanations a bit confusing. Part of the trouble is with the illustration getting messed up. I thought that flanking worked when any crew member was next to an enemy, and you moved a crew member with flanking into the sandwiching position.
What if you have 3 crew in a line and facing 3 enemy? If you take a flanking crew member and walk them behind the enemy, passing through 2 flanking positions to attack the third enemy flanked, would they flank the first as they pass? Or would the first be skipped, and the second attacked because it is diagonal flanked by where you are going? Sometimes I create traps for the enemy when I have a flanking crew member up. I'll put the flanker up front with one space between him and as many crew as I can, and let the enemy walk into those spaces. Then I'll move him to get another flank on his next attack. I kind of like planing for flanking. I've found the one Fannie comes with can be handy.
Yes it works when you sandwich an enemy as long as the Flanker's the one forming the sandwich.

Flanking activates during the Movement Phase but after they reach their destination or have been halted. Meaning that even though he/she is moving through possible Flanking positions, it won't activate unless he/she stops on that exact tile. (Would be awesome if it did but I'm sure that would ruin Swashbucklers' Hidden to a great extent)

It can also activate during the enemy's turn if the foe was dumb enough to sandwich themselves between a melee ally and a flanker.

And I like that strategy you use. Personally I prefer to have Flanker's go last so I can maximize my chance of finding an opportunity.

Remember those Wild Bunch Desperadoes (Mustangs wielding two revolvers)? Thanks to Crossfire (Musketeer version of Flanking) they could literally Run and Gun and occasionally do a Sneak Attack during your turn but how did they do it?

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Interesting how people are not really recommending flanking for a swashbuckler. Yes, it has the potential to ruin your hidden, but I personally don't have much of an issue. It rarely happens, especially solo. When I'm with another pirate(s), it can kind of be more of an issue. It's still rare though.

Yes, flanking has the potential to ruin a 's hidden, but there are ways to avoid that. The whole gist of it is be very conscious about where you and your companions/allies are placed for the current and future rounds, or else you might accidentally trigger it. I'll offer my advice as best as I can.

Two ways to trigger flanking. (1) You either move yourself or your companion to have an enemy between you. (2) You already have yourself and your companions set up, an enemy could run between you and your companion/ally.

Tip, you can trigger your flanking with pets. Not sure if it's only with certain types of pets (those that walk). Maybe it could work with pets that fly.

To avoid flanking, place yourself and your companions in a way that would not trigger it and you wouldn't have to worry about it ruining hidden. I wish I could show a diagram to better display what I mean.

"Safe" placements: a single straight line with you and your companions/allies, creating a perpendicular line ( _|_ ) on the grid, a tight square (with no spaces between), a "plus" shape ( + ) on the grid, and an "L" shape (as in three in a line and one on the left or right).

There are also other ways by simply being vary far away from your companions/allies/pets, but these are some placements where you can be closer to them. I prefer not to be split up if necessary.

Placements to avoid: a rectangle/square with you and your companion/allies with a space between. If it's more like a square, flanking can happen diagonally. Look out for that.

Make every move count for . Rarely move to a random place on the grid. Flanking can actually be helpful when not hidden.

That's a lot of info. to try to limit.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Part 2:

I don't want my first post to come across as so complicated & just avoid getting with flanking. I mean, yes it's kind of complicated, but one can get the hang of it pretty quickly. Like I said, it still can be very helpful when not hidden. I understand why it can be discouraged, but my point is to bring up how to make flanking work for you rather than against you. Especially with Fan Flanders or yourself a with flanking.

Since I already detailed how to avoid flanking, here are some strategy advice to use flanking as much as possible. Since I and others have already explained how flanking works, basically to keep using flanking is to rotate yourself and your companion(s) around an enemy. This goes back into play on my advice to plan for current and future rounds: make every move count.
  • If you have flanking, but the companion you're using to sandwich an enemy doesn't (or you just don't plan on using their flanking), move your pirate to use flanking and then move your companion in a different spot (all in the same round). That way you're ready to flank again with that companion the next round. Rinse and repeat.
  • If you don't have flanking or just don't plan on using it, then you're the one that moves around each round for your companion with flanking to be able to move and flank with you. In this version, you don't have to prepare for the next round to flank since it can be done in one round.

Or you and your companions could just stay in place and wait for the possibility of an enemy coming between you, but the advice that I just gave would make flanking a guarantee to trigger, which I prefer and recommend.

I know the original question was more about flanking's function, but I hope that I also helped with using it in strategy. Honestly, the only thing I discourage is flanking 2; that would make things even more complicated if you want to guarantee flanking twice in one round. Even I have yet to figure that out and I don't think I have the patience.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It seemed like crossfire works for the one with it when they flank the enemy, with the other teammate in the flank being one that holds a gun. I have yet to try getting a double crossfire, cause I don't have many with that talent, but I've had the one that does get it to work opposite ones like Bonnie Anne.
I have had flanking work both with pets on the ground and in the air.