Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How are witchdoctor's summons any good?!

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
When ever I play as my Witch in Mooshu no one ever wants to play with me because I don't summon minions.

How are they useful?!

Here are the negatives: They die EASILY and you can't control them like companions!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
They soak up damage. They distract the enemy. They buy you time. They damage the enemy. Summoned early in the fight, they may well absorb a 'hard' critical hit (those are the automatic crits), sparing one of your crew members (or yourself).

So what if they die more readily than you or the crew? They don't need bed rest as do the companions. Since you complain about how quickly they die, I wonder if you've remembered to move the newer summons toward the front of your powers and the lower-leveled ones back to the back?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
zachshock on Aug 22, 2015 wrote:
When ever I play as my Witch in Mooshu no one ever wants to play with me because I don't summon minions.

How are they useful?!

Here are the negatives: They die EASILY and you can't control them like companions!
They keep enemies really distracted in PvE and also provide stalling advantages in PvP, the people you play with may want you to summon minions so they take the damage and the people you play with can deal massive damage without getting a bruise.

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
Well an enemy killed my summon and that resulted in a bladestorm that killed my companion.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
zachshock on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Well an enemy killed my summon and that resulted in a bladestorm that killed my companion.
They're only good in certain battles. However, most battles are a must for additional members of your team.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
And enemies have killed my companions, triggering blade storms that killed another companion. It happens. Doesn't make the original dead companion a worse companion; that was just luck of the draw.

If you don't like them, don't use them. Clearly they don't seem to suit your play style. But if that's the case don't be cross when others, who do see value in the summons, prefer not to play with you. Incompatible play-styles can be difficult to work with, but somewhere out there is someone who would be willing to run with you and your reluctance to summon. It'll just take patience to find that person. While you wait, MooShu is absolutely doable as a solo witch-doctor. I know; I've done it. Indigo has done it. There are probably hundreds of other pirates I don't know out there who have done so.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Well your summon soaked up the epics and the death of your companion was most likely inevitable anyway 1 enemy would have surely targeted your companion even 2

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
First of all - Are you wearing Will-boosting gear? Perhaps your creatures are unsuccessful because they aren't as good as they could be when summoned. The higher your initial Will, better creatures will result, with higher health and damage output.

Secondly, use Juju and/or other will buffs before summoning -- your summoned creatures will be more powerful. Here is a link to a Pirate101 Central thread where the Witchdoctor boosted his will to 1381 and got phenomenal creatures: http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?53609-With-1381-Will

Finally, as often as they have unfortunate results, they also can save your bacon. I couldn't tell you how many times the last member of my Level 65 witchdoctor's crew has been a summoned creature, saving me from a trip to the Life Fountain. Like any other minion that you cannot control, you need to use them to understand how they work and what they can and cannot do.

By not summoning your creatures, you are handicapping your Witchdoctor, which is why you are encountering criticism from other players. However, no one says you HAVE to use them. You have made it as far as Mooshu, after all.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Willowydream on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
First of all - Are you wearing Will-boosting gear? Perhaps your creatures are unsuccessful because they aren't as good as they could be when summoned. The higher your initial Will, better creatures will result, with higher health and damage output.

Secondly, use Juju and/or other will buffs before summoning -- your summoned creatures will be more powerful. Here is a link to a Pirate101 Central thread where the Witchdoctor boosted his will to 1381 and got phenomenal creatures: http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?53609-With-1381-Will

Finally, as often as they have unfortunate results, they also can save your bacon. I couldn't tell you how many times the last member of my Level 65 witchdoctor's crew has been a summoned creature, saving me from a trip to the Life Fountain. Like any other minion that you cannot control, you need to use them to understand how they work and what they can and cannot do.

By not summoning your creatures, you are handicapping your Witchdoctor, which is why you are encountering criticism from other players. However, no one says you HAVE to use them. You have made it as far as Mooshu, after all.
I would like to see the picture but I have to create an account to do so, can you tell me the summons stats?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
witchdoctor daruis on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
I would like to see the picture but I have to create an account to do so, can you tell me the summons stats?
The summoned creatures in that example were a Level 97 Skeletal Pirate with 1424 health, Pirate 1 and Riposte 1; Level 124 Skeletal Hoplite with 863 health, Turn the Tide 1 and Vengeance Strike 1; Level 73 Skeletal Corsair with 1243 health, Pirate 1 and Quick Adjust 1

Don't be afraid to create a Pirate101 Central account, it's free!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
And enemies have killed my companions, triggering blade storms that killed another companion. It happens. Doesn't make the original dead companion a worse companion; that was just luck of the draw.

If you don't like them, don't use them. Clearly they don't seem to suit your play style. But if that's the case don't be cross when others, who do see value in the summons, prefer not to play with you. Incompatible play-styles can be difficult to work with, but somewhere out there is someone who would be willing to run with you and your reluctance to summon. It'll just take patience to find that person. While you wait, MooShu is absolutely doable as a solo witch-doctor. I know; I've done it. Indigo has done it. There are probably hundreds of other pirates I don't know out there who have done so.
I soloed mooshu by myself, I even persevered through the dreadful keys in sujimara village

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Willowydream on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
The summoned creatures in that example were a Level 97 Skeletal Pirate with 1424 health, Pirate 1 and Riposte 1; Level 124 Skeletal Hoplite with 863 health, Turn the Tide 1 and Vengeance Strike 1; Level 73 Skeletal Corsair with 1243 health, Pirate 1 and Quick Adjust 1

Don't be afraid to create a Pirate101 Central account, it's free!
Sorry to double post but lvl 97 is absolutely amazing with the health too