Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Group Plunder Chests

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
It says in the update notes that it's a perfect time to use mark and recall if you need to go find other pirates to help with the locks.

But I've found two of the group chests so far and both times they've been gone when I went back after just being away for a few minutes to find help. One time I couldn't find anyone to help so that was no biggie, I guess, but the other, I felt so bad for taking up someone's time when they came to help.

What determines if a chest stays in one spot or if it disappears when you leave? Is it just that some other folks came along while I was searching for a helpmate so they got it or do they show up randomly with timers or something?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Developer
Someone else probably nicked it!

When I say to make use of Mark and Recall is this:

You stand near the chest. Your friend, who may be doing something else somewhere else in the world, marks his location. Then he uses Go To Friend to teleport directly to you at the chest. You open it, and your friend clicks his Recall button and goes back to what he was doing.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
Ah, I see.

They're kind of like other pirates.....can't turn your back on 'em.

I can't believe the amount of people who have zero interest in just standing there, hitting X and getting a reward. So far I haven't been able to open any of the 4 group chests I've found because nobody wants to do it with me.

Thanks for clearing that up Ratbeard!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I was having the opposite problem. I would find one and even in a fairly public area no one showed any interest in opening it with me. I was running around Avery's Court the other night, jumping up and down chattering away:

"Group Chest"
"Group Chest, want to help?"
"Want treasure? Group chest!"
"Group Chest - need assistance opening!"
"Group Chest Group Chest Group Chest!!"

Etc., etc. etc. I mean, you know that one girl that runs up and down and up and down and up and down the hill outside of the Court all the time? I know she wasn't doing anything important, so I even asked her. I pointed out she might even find a nice pair of boots, 'cause I know she must wear 'em our like crazy. I had the same response from her as everyone else. Nada.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on May 19, 2014 wrote:
I was having the opposite problem. I would find one and even in a fairly public area no one showed any interest in opening it with me. I was running around Avery's Court the other night, jumping up and down chattering away:

"Group Chest"

Etc., etc. etc. I mean, you know that one girl that runs up and down and up and down and up and down the hill outside of the Court all the time? I know she wasn't doing anything important, so I even asked her. I pointed out she might even find a nice pair of boots, 'cause I know she must wear 'em our like crazy. I had the same response from her as everyone else. Nada.

-Indigo
I'm begining to suspect that most pirates have absolutely NO IDEA what a group chest is. ( They don't read the update notes, I think ).

Developer
It may take some time for the word to get out that the chests are worth opening. Keep in mind that a lot of people (in fact the overwhelming majority) don't log on to the Test Realm and don't read the update notes.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

"Group Chest"

-Indigo
Lol, I hear ya, Indigo. I don't know how many times I asked that same girl for directions and not once have gotten a response....only a grin!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on May 19, 2014 wrote:
It may take some time for the word to get out that the chests are worth opening. Keep in mind that a lot of people (in fact the overwhelming majority) don't log on to the Test Realm and don't read the update notes.
Gasp! Seriously? *Facepalms* What CAN they be thinking? Or NOT thinking?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

"Group Chest"

-Indigo
LOL I love it. Thank you for the delightful giggle.

Community Leader
Having opened many chests myself, I can tell you that doubloons are definitely worth getting, even farming for. One thing to keep in mind is that marking won't pay any attention to realms.

It's possible that someone did take it, or you might have just teleported away, recalled to your mark, and been on the wrong realm. If you check and make a note beforehand, you can usually return and get the chest with help. Of course, if you're still having trouble, send me a TFC. ;)

Good luck hunting!

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Developer
Swordroll on May 19, 2014 wrote:
Having opened many chests myself, I can tell you that doubloons are definitely worth getting, even farming for. One thing to keep in mind is that marking won't pay any attention to realms.

It's possible that someone did take it, or you might have just teleported away, recalled to your mark, and been on the wrong realm. If you check and make a note beforehand, you can usually return and get the chest with help. Of course, if you're still having trouble, send me a TFC. ;)

Good luck hunting!
Assuming the Realm is not full, we definitely do attempt to return you to your mark in the same Realm.

Another possibility is that you are staying away too long, the server notes that the zone is empty, and shuts it down so as not to waste resources.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
Yes! I always help open chests when asked because, not only do *I* like the reward, I know how frustrating it is to have to leave one behind simply because nobody wants to help. I don't get it.

I think I did something rude the other day though. I was waiting by a chest hoping someone would come along and help me open it. A player flew up and opened her lock so I immediately hit X, got the reward and then I saw someone else was following her. She probably brought a friend along to help her and I cheated them out of their reward. I felt awful.

There's usually not any time though to figure out who has dibs. Either NOBODY wants to open one or everyone runs up at once trying to get their piece.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
If I find a group chest, I'll usually ignore it. But if someone asks me to help open it, and it only has two locks, I'll help 'em out. I usually don't use doubloons in combat anyway.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
group chests are very important people just dont know that yet lets make this our secret lol

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
group chests are very important people just dont know that yet lets make this our secret lol
NO! The problem is that its not generally known, we NEED people to know about it so that they'll be willing to open one with us.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on May 20, 2014 wrote:
Yes! I always help open chests when asked because, not only do *I* like the reward, I know how frustrating it is to have to leave one behind simply because nobody wants to help. I don't get it.

I think I did something rude the other day though. I was waiting by a chest hoping someone would come along and help me open it. A player flew up and opened her lock so I immediately hit X, got the reward and then I saw someone else was following her. She probably brought a friend along to help her and I cheated them out of their reward. I felt awful.

There's usually not any time though to figure out who has dibs. Either NOBODY wants to open one or everyone runs up at once trying to get their piece.
That happened to my husband and me one night. Not a big deal -- one of us didn't get the treasure, but the other pirate was probably just as broke as we were, given our levels and where we were. I don't think, at this point, there's a set etiquette, and I also believe most of us do get that stuff happens.

I hate the group chests that pop up in the instances where you're doing a promotion so no one else can get in to help you pop it. That's just mean, KI!

The other side of the coin is when someone asks for help and suddenly you have five pirates and only 4 locks. We spent an awful long time trying to coordinate popping locks open that time.

Are there 3 lock chests? I've never seen one, although sometimes that fourth lock hides in the wall until you get just the right angle...

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
eh unless there is someone close by I don't usually ask someone to help me open one, I don't have much trouble finding gold plus I know if I were questing I would not like having to stop in the middle of a ship farming time to help a friend open a chest (which I have done a few times) but they do usually give a good amount of stuff.

Fearless john west level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john morris level 32

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jun 23, 2014 wrote:
That happened to my husband and me one night. Not a big deal -- one of us didn't get the treasure, but the other pirate was probably just as broke as we were, given our levels and where we were. I don't think, at this point, there's a set etiquette, and I also believe most of us do get that stuff happens.

I hate the group chests that pop up in the instances where you're doing a promotion so no one else can get in to help you pop it. That's just mean, KI!

The other side of the coin is when someone asks for help and suddenly you have five pirates and only 4 locks. We spent an awful long time trying to coordinate popping locks open that time.

Are there 3 lock chests? I've never seen one, although sometimes that fourth lock hides in the wall until you get just the right angle...
The locks are either two or four. If you see one in a solo instance please let them know in the Bilge Pump section. That is a bug that they will correct as we find them.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
In the more advanced areas they produce a lot of gold. The four lockers usually produce a decent item, as well as the gold and doubloons.

So, why no three-lock chests?

-Indigo

Ensign
May 27, 2012
Why wouldn't you want to open a group chest? Until the update (hint, hint ), now is a good time to build up some resources. Anything that helps in a tricky battle (anyone else thinking Hydra at the moment...?) seems a win/win to me. Yes, it's frustrating when you can't find a friend on line but if you have a four lock group chest, for example, most players I've found (friends and not) are more than happy to stick around until we have the right amount of players arrive as the rewards are worth it. Having said that, it would be nice if we could stay by the chest and send out a message to anyone in reasonable range without having to chase after them as I feel a little silly saying 'stop' to someone I don't know and haven't friended (yet) because that is all I have time to say before they're out of speaking range...

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:
The locks are either two or four. If you see one in a solo instance please let them know in the Bilge Pump section. That is a bug that they will correct as we find them.
The solo instance bug that Chrissy refers to is after a fight. You can find GPCs just sitting around P101 with two or four locks and these are normal. You just need to find Pirates willing to open them.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
I just open them for the summons. is there any way we can trash doubloons if we don't want them?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Have you tried selling them? I don't know if you can sell doubloons, but why not do that if you're not going to use them (and you can)? I'm sure there's a way to discard them, just as you can discard gold cards in Wizard.

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
when I see I doubloon that I know wont help me I just go ahead and use it on a easy battle so it is out of the way for when a hard battle comes.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
You can't sell Doubloons at this time.

You can discard them when fighting by right clicking on their icon in the upper right corner but this does not remove them from your inventory.

If you are trying to keep them from showing up, the only way I know to reduce the chance of them showing up is to move them to the last of the Doubloon List.

The only way to get rid of Doubloons that I know of is to use them.