Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Flanking on Swashbuckler-Did I make a mistake?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 26, 2018
31
Soo... I've been wondering. I got Flanking on my but people say it isn't a good choice, since it may remove your hide.

Even though it did remove my hides every now and then, it didn't give me much trouble and I actually don't feel the need to refund it.

Can I have your opinions too? Should I get rid of it?

Stormy Isaac (Level 23 )

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
460
Wiwade on Nov 17, 2018 wrote:
Soo... I've been wondering. I got Flanking on my but people say it isn't a good choice, since it may remove your hide.

Even though it did remove my hides every now and then, it didn't give me much trouble and I actually don't feel the need to refund it.

Can I have your opinions too? Should I get rid of it?

Stormy Isaac (Level 23 )
If you are trying to build an assassin Swashbuckler (hide/poison), that skill makes it harder. However, if you are trying to activate burst combos, its a great skill to have.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9848
Wiwade on Nov 17, 2018 wrote:
Soo... I've been wondering. I got Flanking on my but people say it isn't a good choice, since it may remove your hide.

Even though it did remove my hides every now and then, it didn't give me much trouble and I actually don't feel the need to refund it.

Can I have your opinions too? Should I get rid of it?

Stormy Isaac (Level 23 )
Good question! There are arguments for both sides, as you now know, there are times that an unplanned flank occurs while you are hidden, yet there are times that a flank attack is very effective. Personally, I don't like flanking and so avoid gear that gives that talent, but I frequently use Fan Flanders and use her flank talent to advantage.
I would continue as you are; wait and see if you truly like having this talent. You can always change your mind about it later.


P.S. I don't recommend Cheap Shot!

Ensign
Jul 18, 2013
11
Ya you need your practice points for more things. Remove flanking asap.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1902
I have flanking on my own Swashbucklers. I find it comes in handy with that extra hit or two as the enemy and my crew dance their dance. I don't rely on hiding, but then I don't PvP.

To me, limiting yourself to the "tried-and-true" strategy that everyone else uses can lead to stagnation of your own ability to deal with bad luck or adversity and come up with something that will save your pirate.

I play with random companions, leave off Fast Combat, and do many other things that other players think is foolish. It still works for me. Don't get rid of something that you feel works for you.


Commodore
May 31, 2009
873
Willowydream on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
I have flanking on my own Swashbucklers. I find it comes in handy with that extra hit or two as the enemy and my crew dance their dance. I don't rely on hiding, but then I don't PvP.

To me, limiting yourself to the "tried-and-true" strategy that everyone else uses can lead to stagnation of your own ability to deal with bad luck or adversity and come up with something that will save your pirate.

I play with random companions, leave off Fast Combat, and do many other things that other players think is foolish. It still works for me. Don't get rid of something that you feel works for you.

Incredibly well put.

I myself am not a fan of flanking on my own pirate, but if it’s working for you, I’d keep it! Anything to toss up the build a little; swash can get stale after a while since there’s not much build variety that doesn’t sacrifice survivability. My main swash girl is absolutely a glass cannon build, but my second won’t be if I get the chance to level him.

Flanking can be useful in a lot of PvE situations, especially if you have a rank or two of relentless and bladestorm and high critical chance/agility; you’ll be able to land some pretty nice chains if your accuracy is buffed enough.

Ensign
Oct 26, 2018
31
Willowydream on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
I have flanking on my own Swashbucklers. I find it comes in handy with that extra hit or two as the enemy and my crew dance their dance. I don't rely on hiding, but then I don't PvP.

To me, limiting yourself to the "tried-and-true" strategy that everyone else uses can lead to stagnation of your own ability to deal with bad luck or adversity and come up with something that will save your pirate.

I play with random companions, leave off Fast Combat, and do many other things that other players think is foolish. It still works for me. Don't get rid of something that you feel works for you.

Well, I turn on fast combat only when I am grinding.(farming i mean, not side quests),i do sides, I play hardcore and most importantly, I DON'T SKIP THE DIALOUGES. As you can see, I don't really limit myself to the "meta", I guess I will try different things and see what fits me, I have a long way to max level anyway.

Stormy Isaac Level 26

Ensign
Oct 26, 2018
31
anecorbie on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
Good question! There are arguments for both sides, as you now know, there are times that an unplanned flank occurs while you are hidden, yet there are times that a flank attack is very effective. Personally, I don't like flanking and so avoid gear that gives that talent, but I frequently use Fan Flanders and use her flank talent to advantage.
I would continue as you are; wait and see if you truly like having this talent. You can always change your mind about it later.


P.S. I don't recommend Cheap Shot!
I don't know if I am making a mistake again, I am saving Fan for level 70, I want her to be 71/72. I guess I will just go on with Flanking and see. I thought about getting Cheap Shot first, but then I was like "Oh wait, people can EASILY abuse it to remove my hide." so... I won't get it too. Thanks!

Stormy Isaac (Level 26 )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9848
Wiwade on Nov 19, 2018 wrote:
I don't know if I am making a mistake again, I am saving Fan for level 70, I want her to be 71/72. I guess I will just go on with Flanking and see. I thought about getting Cheap Shot first, but then I was like "Oh wait, people can EASILY abuse it to remove my hide." so... I won't get it too. Thanks!

Stormy Isaac (Level 26 )
No, I don't think you're making a mistake on choosing to recruit Fan when you're at max level. I was a max level ( 65 ) when the trainer companions were released, so I know that it's possible to play this game without her ( a tiny bit more difficult, maybe ).
I said that about Cheap Shot because I was in a Ranked match against another buckler who had trained it, lol, it was so easy to remove her hide!
I heartily recommend training Relentless and to try morphing a Bladestorm grant pet!

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
264
For pvp? Yes.
For pve? Yes in Valencia 2 and on
Pve before then, it wouldn't matter much, but in Valencia 2 hiding I found was my saving grace.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
873
Wiwade on Nov 19, 2018 wrote:
I don't know if I am making a mistake again, I am saving Fan for level 70, I want her to be 71/72. I guess I will just go on with Flanking and see. I thought about getting Cheap Shot first, but then I was like "Oh wait, people can EASILY abuse it to remove my hide." so... I won't get it too. Thanks!

Stormy Isaac (Level 26 )
I'd again like to stress that you should definitely play how you want, but Fan is honestly a lifesaver in MooShu since she has an agility buff and pretty good stats. You'll get a swashbuckler companion in Valencia II that will, in my opinion at least, make up for recruiting Fan earlier.

Ensign
Oct 26, 2018
31
MistyDragon13 on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:
I'd again like to stress that you should definitely play how you want, but Fan is honestly a lifesaver in MooShu since she has an agility buff and pretty good stats. You'll get a swashbuckler companion in Valencia II that will, in my opinion at least, make up for recruiting Fan earlier.
I don't think I will need Fan soon, actually. I started Mooshu lately and it is rather easy. If I REALLY need her, I guess I will have to give up on the 72 Fan! (But I don't think I will.)

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
101
I bought the Goat Swashbuckler (can't remember his name now) from the crown shop, and gave him Flanking. I love Flanking. It's super nice. It gives the player an advantage if they position units in the right way, which suits my playstyle. I've found that if I am very careful with every move I make using my goat, I almost never have to worry about accidental Flankings that take him out of hide.

I recommend it, you just have to use it at the right moment.

Also, if you happen to have Milo, don't skip over him just because of Cheap Shot. That epic is actually great for him, since if a unit panic-disengages, they can get totally chained. It's what I did to Lucky Jack, and it works pretty well.