Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Flanking mechanic

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 20, 2009
Generally speaking, movement-based epics (i.e., Overwatch, Repel Boarders, etc) will trigger on squares that are moved through, whether or not that trigger square is the final move spot of the unit. For example, if a unit starts on square A, moves to square B and then C, if B is a trigger square, the movement-based epic will trigger.

But not Flanking.

Flanking only triggers on the *final* movement square of the unit and not any square that is moved through.

Is there a game design reason for this?

Developer
Sirap on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
Generally speaking, movement-based epics (i.e., Overwatch, Repel Boarders, etc) will trigger on squares that are moved through, whether or not that trigger square is the final move spot of the unit. For example, if a unit starts on square A, moves to square B and then C, if B is a trigger square, the movement-based epic will trigger.

But not Flanking.

Flanking only triggers on the *final* movement square of the unit and not any square that is moved through.

Is there a game design reason for this?
Yes.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
I would guess that it is because flanking can be triggered during the turn of the flanking unit. The other talents you mentioned only work on the enemies turn.

Ensign
Jan 20, 2009
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
Yes.
Would you care to elaborate? :)

Administrator
Sirap on Mar 30, 2013 wrote:
Would you care to elaborate? :)
I'm sure he would! To explain, Ratbeard is a little pressed for time this past week, he's about to have a new little ratbeardling in his life and is trying his best to keep up with the forums.

Patience!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Congrats to Ratbeard and Ratbeardia!

I hear patience is a virtue... Well, maybe.

Once I figured out how Flanking worked (didn't realize at first you always had to move the flanker), it quickly became my favorite companion feat. Overwatch, Repel Boarders, Vengence Strike and most of the others only have a chance of triggering; if you set Flanking up, it always triggers. So you generally have a guaranteed extra attack any time you can line up your companions correctly. Very powerful. The fact even if you can't set it up on your turn it can still trigger on their turn is even better. So, in my opinion Flanking is already the best feat, even with the limitation you mention.

-Michael

Developer
The Ratling is asleep so I am happy to elaborate.

The post above lays it out pretty well: Flanking is probably my favorite talent and it is already very powerful.

Allowing Flanking to trigger as you move, as opposed to when you complete your move, would mean that flanking would trigger many more times per turn-- both your turn, and the enemies' turn.

As they say what's good for the goose is sauce for the gander. Imagine yourself trying to move around a battlefield full of Mustang Vaquero's with Crossfire and Flanking, and getting shot or stabbed every time you so much as move a step. It would be too powerful and frustrating.

As an equally important design goal, epic talents that require the player to think about the best way to maximize their use is far preferable to epic talents that don't require any kind of planning at all. It's a lot more fun when you feel the satisfaction of outsmarting the enemy.

Now all that being said... Who knows what the higher ranks of epic talents may have in store?

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Indigo Ring on Mar 30, 2013 wrote:
Congrats to Ratbeard and Ratbeardia!

I hear patience is a virtue... Well, maybe.

Once I figured out how Flanking worked (didn't realize at first you always had to move the flanker), it quickly became my favorite companion feat. Overwatch, Repel Boarders, Vengence Strike and most of the others only have a chance of triggering; if you set Flanking up, it always triggers. So you generally have a guaranteed extra attack any time you can line up your companions correctly. Very powerful. The fact even if you can't set it up on your turn it can still trigger on their turn is even better. So, in my opinion Flanking is already the best feat, even with the limitation you mention.

-Michael
THAT, is not true, the only epic with a chance of happening is relentless/mojo echo/ burst fire, i dont think there are anymore chance epics

lets list'em

Riposte 100%
Relentless 35%
First Strike 100%
Repel Boarders 100% (previously 50%)
Blade Storm 100%
Cheap Shot 100%
Flanking 100%
Vengeance Strike 100%
Immobilize 100&
Second Chance 100%

i believe thats all

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Speed Switch on Apr 12, 2013 wrote:
THAT, is not true, the only epic with a chance of happening is relentless/mojo echo/ burst fire, i dont think there are anymore chance epics

lets list'em

Riposte 100%
Relentless 35%
First Strike 100%
Repel Boarders 100% (previously 50%)
Blade Storm 100%
Cheap Shot 100%
Flanking 100%
Vengeance Strike 100%
Immobilize 100&
Second Chance 100%

i believe thats all
While you are absolutely correct that those talents have a 100% chance of activating, the events that trigger them are, for the most part, out of your control. What mwc67f was saying was that if you set things up right you can get flanking to activate every turn. Compare that to vengeance strike, for example, which only gives a bonus attack if the enemy attacks AND hits you.