Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Fastest way to get training points/ best ship

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 08, 2019
22
I am a level 31 Buccaneer in Port Regal. My companions are falling 3 to 4 levels behind me and i cant afford to spend the 1000+ gold on training points. Is there any other way to get training points relatively quickly?

Also, I am still using the ship given to me in Tierra Primata. I need a good ship because i am having to board every ship to defeat the enemies for quests. If you guys know of any way to get training points or a good ship that is kinda cheap (I only have 2500 gold currently) that would be great!

Petty Officer
Sep 04, 2018
97
instinctHelios on Jul 19, 2019 wrote:
I am a level 31 Buccaneer in Port Regal. My companions are falling 3 to 4 levels behind me and i cant afford to spend the 1000+ gold on training points. Is there any other way to get training points relatively quickly?

Also, I am still using the ship given to me in Tierra Primata. I need a good ship because i am having to board every ship to defeat the enemies for quests. If you guys know of any way to get training points or a good ship that is kinda cheap (I only have 2500 gold currently) that would be great!
Your entire problem is your notion that you ought to be training up your companions to your character level as you play which is not only foolish to do but also keeps you quite gold broke.

Every four levels, divisible by four, is when companions get their next bonus so there is really no real difference between a companion that is level 24 to level 27 but at level 28 there is a difference, so don't train companions unless it gets them to their next bonus.

The lower your companion is below your character level the more a training tome levels up the companion. This means if you are only using three or four companions it is best to not train the rest, or at least to wait to train then until when they jump up four levels per training tome.

I am also in Port Regal. I have over 100 unused training tomes. When I first make a character I level it to level 2 transfer items for them to sell through the shared bank and then add a friend and port to them once they go through the locked gate so that I can get to the tavern to buy tomes up to the maximum on hand of 10 (they only cost 100 gold per tome at level 2 which is a real buy). I then wait until my character level is at six to raise the companions I'll be using up to level 4, then I wait until I'm level 10 to raise them up to 8, and so on, so that they always fall at maximum six levels below my character level and are then raised to two under. When I max out my character level is when I train everything up to full. This uses up all my tomes, but then I buy up to the max of 10 and finish whatever side quests still give me training tomes, this tends to takes me up to around 40 tomes on hand with all companions trained to max.

Playing this way gives you tons of gold for ships and equipment, but pet hatching and training still requires a lot of gold to which I try to get max level pirates on my friends list so that that I can port into kane runs. You can port into the end level 70 Kane fight when you are level 1, this gets you about 100,000 to 150,000 gold. Let your companions be slaughtered at low levels, for that much gold its well worth the 15 seconds it takes them to revive.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9775
Takhethis on Jul 25, 2019 wrote:
Your entire problem is your notion that you ought to be training up your companions to your character level as you play which is not only foolish to do but also keeps you quite gold broke.

Every four levels, divisible by four, is when companions get their next bonus so there is really no real difference between a companion that is level 24 to level 27 but at level 28 there is a difference, so don't train companions unless it gets them to their next bonus.

The lower your companion is below your character level the more a training tome levels up the companion. This means if you are only using three or four companions it is best to not train the rest, or at least to wait to train then until when they jump up four levels per training tome.

I am also in Port Regal. I have over 100 unused training tomes. When I first make a character I level it to level 2 transfer items for them to sell through the shared bank and then add a friend and port to them once they go through the locked gate so that I can get to the tavern to buy tomes up to the maximum on hand of 10 (they only cost 100 gold per tome at level 2 which is a real buy). I then wait until my character level is at six to raise the companions I'll be using up to level 4, then I wait until I'm level 10 to raise them up to 8, and so on, so that they always fall at maximum six levels below my character level and are then raised to two under. When I max out my character level is when I train everything up to full. This uses up all my tomes, but then I buy up to the max of 10 and finish whatever side quests still give me training tomes, this tends to takes me up to around 40 tomes on hand with all companions trained to max.

Playing this way gives you tons of gold for ships and equipment, but pet hatching and training still requires a lot of gold to which I try to get max level pirates on my friends list so that that I can port into kane runs. You can port into the end level 70 Kane fight when you are level 1, this gets you about 100,000 to 150,000 gold. Let your companions be slaughtered at low levels, for that much gold its well worth the 15 seconds it takes them to revive.
It is best to have as many companions as possible at least two levels behind. The more leveled your companions are, the more effective they are in battle. Making a gap of five levels will hold a player back in the higher, more difficult worlds after Cool Ranch.
My advice: take a break from game play and set companions to Brawlin' for their own experience. This is especially useful when a single tome doesn't quite level them up, avoiding the "waste" of a tome to complete a level.
You can also place companions on the Scavengin' task ( sell the gear ), or Pet Wranglin' ( sell the gear & snacks you don't need ).
If you don't wish to break off game play entirely, then go back and farm gold heavy dungeons. See my post: "How to be Rich at any level" for farming locations.
It is a terrible idea to suggest that an under-leveled player should join in a max level dungeon to profit from other's efforts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9775
It is also Christmas in July! Go farm those presents in Skull Island, Monquista, Marleybone, & Valencia ( pt.2 ) for gold!

Petty Officer
Sep 04, 2018
97
anecorbie on Jul 25, 2019 wrote:
It is best to have as many companions as possible at least two levels behind. The more leveled your companions are, the more effective they are in battle. Making a gap of five levels will hold a player back in the higher, more difficult worlds after Cool Ranch.
My advice: take a break from game play and set companions to Brawlin' for their own experience. This is especially useful when a single tome doesn't quite level them up, avoiding the "waste" of a tome to complete a level.
You can also place companions on the Scavengin' task ( sell the gear ), or Pet Wranglin' ( sell the gear & snacks you don't need ).
If you don't wish to break off game play entirely, then go back and farm gold heavy dungeons. See my post: "How to be Rich at any level" for farming locations.
It is a terrible idea to suggest that an under-leveled player should join in a max level dungeon to profit from other's efforts.
I'd love it if the higher a companion's level was the more efficient it actually become, but instead the higher level a companion is the longer its return time becomes so lower level companions may well return a lot more than high level companions which to me fosters my notion that KingsIsle is horrible at math.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
347
instinctHelios on Jul 19, 2019 wrote:
I am a level 31 Buccaneer in Port Regal. My companions are falling 3 to 4 levels behind me and i cant afford to spend the 1000+ gold on training points. Is there any other way to get training points relatively quickly?

Also, I am still using the ship given to me in Tierra Primata. I need a good ship because i am having to board every ship to defeat the enemies for quests. If you guys know of any way to get training points or a good ship that is kinda cheap (I only have 2500 gold currently) that would be great!
Plenty of people have given you good tips on training points here, but I can give you a guide to ships. I have 8 max pirates, so I have some experience on when it is best to pick up new ships.

Anything that says (Optional) next to it should only be bought if you have gold to burn, but those that have (Recommended) next to them are highly, well, recommended.

Since you're in Port Regal, I would recommend going and picking up a Marleybonian Ship at the docks (Recommended). This will take you to the end of Cool Ranch, where you will receive a new ship from the storyline. If you have gold to burn, you can pick up a new Mooshu ship when you reach Subata Skyway (Optional). Once you get to Marleybone, be sure to pick up the upgraded Marleybone ship (Recommended). Once you get to Aquila, you can pick up an Aquilan Galleon (Optional). Once you get to the final section of the story, Valencia part II, you can pick up a Spiral Galleon of your choice (Recommended).