Do's and don't's, a high levels curse, READ

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
Elemutation on Aug 11, 2013 wrote:
FINALLY!! somebody who can flat out say how annoying some people are. I find it better to be harsh and honest, than nice and keep lying.
I have my own set of rules when it comes to this stuff.
1.I do not help my lower level friends with fights or dungeons unless I needed help with the fight myself.

2.i do not friend random strangers when I take a pit stop to skull island. if they send more than 2 requests, they get ignored.

3.If a lower level friend gets me to help them and then either flees, or goes afk, and is still online, I ignore them, and then tell anyone else I know that knows the friend, so they will not have to endure another noob annoyance.

4.Try to avoid the whole "clan" community of PvP, for the experiences I have had from that aspect introduced me to the more competitive and dark side of the PvP community.

5.Do not let demanding friends interrupt you from what you want to do yourself. if a friend wants you to join a PvP match, help them farm, help with a quest, make sure your not becoming a pushover, because that leads people to believe that they can make you do whatever they want.

6. Remember that this is a GAME!!! I know people who treat this like life and death, and if I don't save them in a fight, that I am some kind of selfish demon. sometimes people get so involved in this game that it seems like they forget that they can just close the laptop and do something else. as committed to this masterpiece as I am, I know that there have to be limits.
I have no problem with brutal honesty, obviously LOL

Very nice set of rules, I will be incorporating them into play as well, thank you

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
TravisJones74 on Aug 11, 2013 wrote:
Wow, yeah, he would be on ignore real fast. I have no use for pvp at all. Such a waste of time.
I wouldn't say PvP is a waste of time (no, not at all)... it's just, I hate it whenever people create these Max-Player teams and PvP against everyone else. It completely ruins the PvP arena because they keep winning after every round. I have no problem with a 'challenge,' but I do have a problem whenever the teams aren't fair: Them with 4 max players, then there's my team where I'm max, someone else is close to max, and a third and fourth teammate who's under level 20. PvP is meant to see who's the best, and to have fun. It's no fun fighting in a battle where you know you're going to lose no matter what. Also, what I hate most, is whenever they tease you towards the end: When you're close to dying, but the won't attack. They just decide to let this game last longer than it should, this horrible game where you just wish it would end and you can move on to somewhere else...

That's why I only like PvP-ing against people in my house (or one of their houses). That way, we can keep it fair and truly see who's better at battle.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
207
Bloody Belle on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
I have to agree, though I usually don't mind since I'm maxed and most of my friends are still in Mooshu. I have this one friend who wants me to help him lvl all the way to max, and he's around lvl 48. I don't mind that at all: Helping him reach max. He thanks me after every battle, and one time, bought something for me in the crown shop to show his thanks. He's a nice guy who just needs some help...

On the flip side, there's this other guy, Hunter, who's a real pain. He just reached Marleybone and always asks me to come port and help him. I don't mind that either, but it's his arrogance that gets to me. He's like the guy you described (I wouldn't be surprised if he was the same dude). Also, whenever I'm busy decorating my house, he chimes in and tells me to follow him. I ask him where, but he just says for me to follow. I do, and he takes me to the PVP arena in Skull Island and tells me to play on his red or blue team. I did, that one time, and he was whispering to me, telling me what to do and stuff, and if I didn't do it, he would shout, "NOOOOOOO!" as if I had no idea what I was doing. I'm Maxed: He's barley though Marleybone! Anyways, we lost because it was just 3 of us against 4 maxed players (i think they were a team or something ). There was no chance of us winning, right? But he didn't think so. I was the only max person on our team and he was shouting at the other team, saying we were gonna win and how they were weak (is he out of his mind?! ). They killed me in 3 rounds, and he and the other girl went down easily. 5 rounds was all it took for them to finish us, and he was UP-SET. I ported back to my house, he followed, and was yelling at me about how I didn't know how to play and such. I just shouted back saying, "At least it took me tree rounds for them to kill me compared to your too." He's no longer my friend anymore, but still.... what nerve some people have!
I don't mind helping people who need help and are kind about it. If someone wants help from me, all they need to do is ask and say thanks. That makes me happy. But whenever they don't appreciate the time I just have up to help them, that gets me mad.

Rachel - Level 43
P.S. That Hunter guy sounds like a jerk. I would hate it if someone treated me that way.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
111
I know that lazy lowbies can be annoying but a thread of high-level people moaning about how put upon they are sounds very pretentious and condescending.

"Woe is me?" Really, guys?

If you feel so unjustly burdened by "ungrateful players" that don't want to do anything for themselves then just go to a realm with a low population where there is no one around to scream for help.

Then you won't have any need for all of those silly "I help when it is convenient for me" rules.

Either that, or just admit to yourselves that part of you really enjoys it when folks beg you for an audience because it gives you a chance to be seen with your new shiny gear, your pet, and your new mount. It makes you feel important.

I moved to Morgan Lafitte to avoid the crowds. I sink or swim by my own gameplay, I try to help anyone who asks me, and I never fail to assist my friends..

My only rule is that I will help with quests but I don't usually help with farming. Farming is boring enough on your own; I certainly don't want to burn away hours hitting the same target with someone else unless it is going to earn me a badge.

It's just a game, my friends, and a social game at that. Treat it like one.

Talon Devereaux

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
TalonDevereaux68 on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
I know that lazy lowbies can be annoying but a thread of high-level people moaning about how put upon they are sounds very pretentious and condescending.

"Woe is me?" Really, guys?

If you feel so unjustly burdened by "ungrateful players" that don't want to do anything for themselves then just go to a realm with a low population where there is no one around to scream for help.

Then you won't have any need for all of those silly "I help when it is convenient for me" rules.

Either that, or just admit to yourselves that part of you really enjoys it when folks beg you for an audience because it gives you a chance to be seen with your new shiny gear, your pet, and your new mount. It makes you feel important.

I moved to Morgan Lafitte to avoid the crowds. I sink or swim by my own gameplay, I try to help anyone who asks me, and I never fail to assist my friends..

My only rule is that I will help with quests but I don't usually help with farming. Farming is boring enough on your own; I certainly don't want to burn away hours hitting the same target with someone else unless it is going to earn me a badge.

It's just a game, my friends, and a social game at that. Treat it like one.

Talon Devereaux
Well my goodness You do seem to sound like the pot calling the kettle black.
Helping with farming is what makes it bearable for me & my friends. Having someone to crack jokes with and visit with is what makes those grinding times go oh so much faster.
Plus, going to a quieter realm will not affect friends asking for help. The majority of the offenders in this thread are abusing 'friends' that haven't quite crossed the line enough to get deleted.
Only helping someone with the boring stuff If it will earn you a badge sounds just as pretentious and condescending.
Please lighten up and have some fun with it, after all that is the 'true' purpose of this whole thread anyway .
Kudo's to you for always being there for your friends. That is the kind of friend we all need.

Community Leader
I have walked up to sigils, initiated a dungeon.

Then had strangers jump on, and try to tell me what to do.
I usually explain to them...

"I've been doing this since Beta, I know how to play. If you want to do it a different way you should do it yourself and not join other peoples dungeons."

I had one even tell me "This is 'MY' dungeon, I had been waiting for 30 minutes before you came up." As if arriving at the location first had anything to do with it. Well, that pirate who obviously couldnt do the dungeon by themselves, was quickly left to deal with it themselves, as I fled.

Glad to be on "BrynnerOfReign"s friend list, shes a hoot to play with.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
My wife and I tend to play on the less crowded servers, and haven't really had this problem. In fact, frequently we will run for quite some time without even seeing another pirate (unless we wander by Skull Island for something). Our rule when playing the busier Wizard101 is not to add anyone to our friends list until we have run with them a bit and they seem like reasonably mature players. When we find we have made a mistake, we are not shy about dropping them from our list.

-Indigo

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
TalonDevereaux68 on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
I know that lazy lowbies can be annoying but a thread of high-level people moaning about how put upon they are sounds very pretentious and condescending.

"Woe is me?" Really, guys?

If you feel so unjustly burdened by "ungrateful players" that don't want to do anything for themselves then just go to a realm with a low population where there is no one around to scream for help.

Then you won't have any need for all of those silly "I help when it is convenient for me" rules.

Either that, or just admit to yourselves that part of you really enjoys it when folks beg you for an audience because it gives you a chance to be seen with your new shiny gear, your pet, and your new mount. It makes you feel important.

I moved to Morgan Lafitte to avoid the crowds. I sink or swim by my own gameplay, I try to help anyone who asks me, and I never fail to assist my friends..

My only rule is that I will help with quests but I don't usually help with farming. Farming is boring enough on your own; I certainly don't want to burn away hours hitting the same target with someone else unless it is going to earn me a badge.

It's just a game, my friends, and a social game at that. Treat it like one.

Talon Devereaux
Oh, I am so sorry! I didn't mean to sound like that at all. I'm sure most of us never meant to make ourselves sound all 'high and mighty' and angry about helping others. We're just complaining about certain times when we do help someone and they don't help us back, or at the very least, say thanks. I never meant to make it sound like that, though!

Ensign
Sep 22, 2010
21
I know exactly what you guys mean, I'm only a lvl 30 but I have it a little bit worse than what you guys do...
You know when they keep talking to you about when are you coming, and stuff like that. Well, just imagine what I go through when I'm lvl 30, my 7 year old sister plays, and she is lvl 8
( help, me ) she keeps on saying things like, you just don't want to because you don't care about me!
And I'm like, wha-, o-, i just don't want to, gees... It's terrible, really..
I have my own character to play, you know. And for the sake of all that holy, please.... don't
......get, me started on wizard101 ...
If you guys have it like me, I don't just feel your pain, I have to live it, breath it, and deal with it every...
single... day.

And she thinks she's better than me on wizard101 because I don't play it that much anymore, but I'm lvl 40,
and she's 28......... wow, just, wow.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
70
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
Lol Oh man this is great. Very well said and eloquently put. I have lost track of the times it has happened to me. I have just been too nice to retaliate like you have. I think my Zeena and I now have a new strategy lol. So many times I ask if they have tried the fight they want help with alone first because I do not want to be the muscle to help a lazy gamer sail through the game either. They have started to expect this and I have discovered that some now lie about attempting the fight because they give themselves away being surprised at something in the fight. Well they only lie to me once, then they are off my list.
I, like you, do not mind at all helping someone who wants to learn and will gladly give up my questing time to help someone be a better player or just help them through a really tough fight but I despise being taken advantage of. I couldn't have said this better and your ending deserves an award. Awesome. A Harrrrty thumbs up
I personally don't ask for help unless I have lost the sigil or dungeon several times. I try to help people only with what I classify as hard dungeons. I try to make PVP fair.

And guess what happens?

Really, guys, just don't be little brats.
I mean, I give up questing time for my friends all the time, so don't just ruin it.
Swashy Purest Pirate EVER

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
709
Bloody Belle on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
I remembered that happening to me before... I joined a fight, then another friend of his joined and he was an even higher level (then one of my friends accidentally ported cause I told them I was at my house, which I was). I was close to maxed (i think I was level 62 as well..?).

But any who, that's why I never friend people on Menu Chat. I'm sorry if that will upset anyone, but I hate it whenever they're yelling for help and I'm in a battle, and can only speak to them from the little list of words they have when you're in a battle (KI NEEDS to fix that). The only good thing about Menu Chat is that you can tell people your level without having to make up words to say numbers lol (i'm guilty of sneaking around the filters sometimes: Only with telling people my level though ).
Lol I don't blame you, I do something similar to that. Proof: On pirate101, I've got three friends. Total. I never friend anyone that I haven't met before, and I am very cautious about who I put on my friends list. One of my friends is a level 65 swashbuckler, and she and I are friends in the game because we're friends in real life. My other friend is her friend, they just hang out a lot and eventually we friended each other. Then the third is someone from the message boards, and although we don't interact very much during the game I'm still happy that she's my friend, because I know that she's an awesome person. Although I am a little bit offended about what you said in not friending Menu-chats (for I am a menu-chat myself, and I wish to keep it that way), I definitely agree, that group is most likely to seem rude.

I find it funny that I almost never need to ask for help -- my friend's friend is a level 65 as well and is bored, so he just comes and hangs out with me, helping me on my quests. Although I'm just a puny level 26, I'm not one of those people who beg for help when I don't need it. I like to be with my friends when they farm in Marleybone, not just because I gain but because I like to hang out with them. They're really fun and spunky and quirky and just a blast to hang out with, even though I get killed like 99.9999999999999999...% percent of the time. I also always make sure that it's okay with my friends before I join them, and I do everything that I can to truly help, even though I can't do very much. Well hey, now I've become a master at removing ship tokens.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
111
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
Well my goodness You do seem to sound like the pot calling the kettle black.
Helping with farming is what makes it bearable for me & my friends. Having someone to crack jokes with and visit with is what makes those grinding times go oh so much faster.
Plus, going to a quieter realm will not affect friends asking for help. The majority of the offenders in this thread are abusing 'friends' that haven't quite crossed the line enough to get deleted.
Only helping someone with the boring stuff If it will earn you a badge sounds just as pretentious and condescending.
Please lighten up and have some fun with it, after all that is the 'true' purpose of this whole thread anyway .
Kudo's to you for always being there for your friends. That is the kind of friend we all need.
It's not the pot calling the kettle black because I didn't join the litany of, "Oh my goodness being a high-level person is such a chore," or "These lazy gamers make me want to flee in mid-combat and leave them to their doom."

Griefing people in PVP with Zeena is vindication? Honestly?

To further clarify my position since it might have hit a nerve I didn't intend it to, I don't like farming because I disagree with the princple itself, not because I dislike the practice. I play the game to meet up with scallywags like myself and enjoy the story as experienced through my character.

Running through the same encounter over and over again is not my idea of fun, but MMO's as a rule tend to treat repetition as gameplay, but at least Pirate101 gives you with a badge for doing the Gortez end-quest twenty five times...

On average, that quest takes about an hour to do solo so in essence, you're getting a badge for doing the same thing again and again for twenty five hours

I'd rather run through that scenario one time only with five of my friends for the thrill of the fight rather than do it a hundred times by myself just for rare drops. I think my most enjoyable experience in the game was raiding the Presidio with my daughter and her friends. We nearly got wiped out and it was great.

By contrast, burning away three days hunting Old Scratch for all of his rare drops for a friend's witchdoctor felt more like work than play, but you do things like that for your comrades.

No offense, but you guys are the ones that need to lighten up. I agree that there is nothing worse than dealing with rude and ungrateful players but people endure this so-called high-level curse because they want to, not because they have to.

If high-level players didn't enjoy the attention of being inspected while dressed in your Crown Shop best or rushing in like the cavalry when someone is in a situation so bad that they type "Hepl!" instead of "Help!" in your chat window, they'd move to a realm where there was no one around.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
111
Dr Zeppers on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
I have walked up to sigils, initiated a dungeon.

Then had strangers jump on, and try to tell me what to do.
I usually explain to them...

"I've been doing this since Beta, I know how to play. If you want to do it a different way you should do it yourself and not join other peoples dungeons."

I had one even tell me "This is 'MY' dungeon, I had been waiting for 30 minutes before you came up." As if arriving at the location first had anything to do with it. Well, that pirate who obviously couldnt do the dungeon by themselves, was quickly left to deal with it themselves, as I fled.

Glad to be on "BrynnerOfReign"s friend list, shes a hoot to play with.
It's not so much strangers jumping on sigils that I activate that bothers me (more players in combat = more enemies = more gold), so much as it is strangers that initiate combat before I have a chance to hear any quest-related dialogue.

Yeah, I am one of those annoying roleplayers you've heard about that talks like a pirate and enjoys the storyline.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
111
Bloody Belle on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
Oh, I am so sorry! I didn't mean to sound like that at all. I'm sure most of us never meant to make ourselves sound all 'high and mighty' and angry about helping others. We're just complaining about certain times when we do help someone and they don't help us back, or at the very least, say thanks. I never meant to make it sound like that, though!
Belle, my friend. I have read many of your posts and you are always so very helpful.

You don't owe me an apology. I should be the one apologizing if I offended you by anything I said.

The self-righteous smugness of the high-level player mindset bugs me to no end, but I certainly am sorry if it sounded like I was targeting you in particular.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
korgan002 on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
I know exactly what you guys mean, I'm only a lvl 30 but I have it a little bit worse than what you guys do...
You know when they keep talking to you about when are you coming, and stuff like that. Well, just imagine what I go through when I'm lvl 30, my 7 year old sister plays, and she is lvl 8
( help, me ) she keeps on saying things like, you just don't want to because you don't care about me!
And I'm like, wha-, o-, i just don't want to, gees... It's terrible, really..
I have my own character to play, you know. And for the sake of all that holy, please.... don't
......get, me started on wizard101 ...
If you guys have it like me, I don't just feel your pain, I have to live it, breath it, and deal with it every...
single... day.

And she thinks she's better than me on wizard101 because I don't play it that much anymore, but I'm lvl 40,
and she's 28......... wow, just, wow.
LoL, I know what you're going through, mate. I have a little sister who's 8 and drives me insane sometimes with the games I play. When Pirate's first started out, I made a Witchdoctor (that was really my first pirate) and got her to about level 15-20, then I allowed my little sister to play on her for a while cause she wanted to start playing Pirate101 now...

Any who, she played for a while. When I got back, she was playing on a Swashbuckler. I was thinking, "Ok... she made a new pirate..." Then when I got my turn, I couldn't find my Witchdoctor! Panicked, I asked her where she was and she told me that she, "May had accidentally deleted her..." All because she didn't like the little Hoodoo symbol that is at the corner of our picture whenever we fought, and preferred the flower instead. She didn't know that you could have up to 6 pirates on one account...

Yeah... so I played on that Pirate for a while, the Swashbuckler, just because I didn't want to start over, now she's my main pirate. I have 4 pirates now, and she usually plays on the Privateer (cause she likes helping people, lol ). You just have to get used to little siblings wanting to play the same games as you, and learn to compromise...

But, what I did to keep her off my case for a little while, was getting her involved into Minecraft! She plays that game nearly every other day and leaves my Pirates alone (she's been known to play on my other pirates and mess with their stats and talk to my friends). Try to get her involved in other games you wouldn't mine sharing... Worked for me

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
TalonDevereaux68 on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
I know that lazy lowbies can be annoying but a thread of high-level people moaning about how put upon they are sounds very pretentious and condescending.

"Woe is me?" Really, guys?

If you feel so unjustly burdened by "ungrateful players" that don't want to do anything for themselves then just go to a realm with a low population where there is no one around to scream for help.

Then you won't have any need for all of those silly "I help when it is convenient for me" rules.

Either that, or just admit to yourselves that part of you really enjoys it when folks beg you for an audience because it gives you a chance to be seen with your new shiny gear, your pet, and your new mount. It makes you feel important.

I moved to Morgan Lafitte to avoid the crowds. I sink or swim by my own gameplay, I try to help anyone who asks me, and I never fail to assist my friends..

My only rule is that I will help with quests but I don't usually help with farming. Farming is boring enough on your own; I certainly don't want to burn away hours hitting the same target with someone else unless it is going to earn me a badge.

It's just a game, my friends, and a social game at that. Treat it like one.

Talon Devereaux
I don't think of us gave off the "woe is me" impression. We all said we love helping our friends, and don't mind helping. It's the ungrateful gamers that spoil the fun.
Travis

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
51
TalonDevereaux68 on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
It's not the pot calling the kettle black because I didn't join the litany of, "Oh my goodness being a high-level person is such a chore," or "These lazy gamers make me want to flee in mid-combat and leave them to their doom."

Griefing people in PVP with Zeena is vindication? Honestly?

To further clarify my position since it might have hit a nerve I didn't intend it to, I don't like farming because I disagree with the princple itself, not because I dislike the practice. I play the game to meet up with scallywags like myself and enjoy the story as experienced through my character.

Running through the same encounter over and over again is not my idea of fun, but MMO's as a rule tend to treat repetition as gameplay, but at least Pirate101 gives you with a badge for doing the Gortez end-quest twenty five times...

On average, that quest takes about an hour to do solo so in essence, you're getting a badge for doing the same thing again and again for twenty five hours

I'd rather run through that scenario one time only with five of my friends for the thrill of the fight rather than do it a hundred times by myself just for rare drops. I think my most enjoyable experience in the game was raiding the Presidio with my daughter and her friends. We nearly got wiped out and it was great.

By contrast, burning away three days hunting Old Scratch for all of his rare drops for a friend's witchdoctor felt more like work than play, but you do things like that for your comrades.

No offense, but you guys are the ones that need to lighten up. I agree that there is nothing worse than dealing with rude and ungrateful players but people endure this so-called high-level curse because they want to, not because they have to.

If high-level players didn't enjoy the attention of being inspected while dressed in your Crown Shop best or rushing in like the cavalry when someone is in a situation so bad that they type "Hepl!" instead of "Help!" in your chat window, they'd move to a realm where there was no one around.
"Griefing people in PVP with Zeena is vindication"

Once again, I must correct you sir. I didn't say anything about using Zeena in PVP, I didn't say anything about PVP at all because I have never even joined the first PVP match. I have watched several, and it's just not my cup of tea.

I help friends all night long, every night.

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
79
Bloody Belle on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
LoL, I know what you're going through, mate. I have a little sister who's 8 and drives me insane sometimes with the games I play. When Pirate's first started out, I made a Witchdoctor (that was really my first pirate) and got her to about level 15-20, then I allowed my little sister to play on her for a while cause she wanted to start playing Pirate101 now...

Any who, she played for a while. When I got back, she was playing on a Swashbuckler. I was thinking, "Ok... she made a new pirate..." Then when I got my turn, I couldn't find my Witchdoctor! Panicked, I asked her where she was and she told me that she, "May had accidentally deleted her..." All because she didn't like the little Hoodoo symbol that is at the corner of our picture whenever we fought, and preferred the flower instead. She didn't know that you could have up to 6 pirates on one account...

Yeah... so I played on that Pirate for a while, the Swashbuckler, just because I didn't want to start over, now she's my main pirate. I have 4 pirates now, and she usually plays on the Privateer (cause she likes helping people, lol ). You just have to get used to little siblings wanting to play the same games as you, and learn to compromise...

But, what I did to keep her off my case for a little while, was getting her involved into Minecraft! She plays that game nearly every other day and leaves my Pirates alone (she's been known to play on my other pirates and mess with their stats and talk to my friends). Try to get her involved in other games you wouldn't mine sharing... Worked for me
That is hilarious but I have the opposite problem. I set up my 10 year old daughter on an account here thinking it would be a blast to play together. She's played maybe 2 hours total and we had instances where we were in the middle of a battle and something interesting came on tv and she'd just shut her laptop! I lectured her on taking the game seriously and not leaving other players in the lurch during a battle. And that's when I realized I had a problem.

Her own personal addiction is Minecraft now and she gets as much out of it as I do out of Pirates but I'm a bit sad that she hasn't thusfar gotten into gaming with me. My two other daughters (4 and 6) have their accounts too but have to be walked through every single move and it's not the same.

I wasn't aware of the etiquette of asking before you join a battle until I'd been playing for a while but now I make sure to always ask unless I accidentally get dragged in because I walked too near. I'll almost always drop what I'm doing to help someone who asks but the last few times I did so (for the same friend) I would find the battle was nearly over and her and her companions' health was high. Color me confused.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb

Ensign
Jul 26, 2011
9
OMG I've had this happen to me too many times! I had a level 65 friend that would repeatedly ask "help!" and when I go port to him he's just in Marleybone doing just regular enemies and he seems totally ok without any help. I don't understand. And then after the battle is over he just leaves so I go back to my questing and then in a little bit he messages me "help!" and I go again and he's just in a easy battle so this guy is annoying. He's also a menu chat guy so maybe that explains it. But I finally decided to defriend him.

Alura Legend Level 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Just Add Bacon on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
Lol I don't blame you, I do something similar to that. Proof: On pirate101, I've got three friends. Total. I never friend anyone that I haven't met before, and I am very cautious about who I put on my friends list. One of my friends is a level 65 swashbuckler, and she and I are friends in the game because we're friends in real life. My other friend is her friend, they just hang out a lot and eventually we friended each other. Then the third is someone from the message boards, and although we don't interact very much during the game I'm still happy that she's my friend, because I know that she's an awesome person. Although I am a little bit offended about what you said in not friending Menu-chats (for I am a menu-chat myself, and I wish to keep it that way), I definitely agree, that group is most likely to seem rude.

I find it funny that I almost never need to ask for help -- my friend's friend is a level 65 as well and is bored, so he just comes and hangs out with me, helping me on my quests. Although I'm just a puny level 26, I'm not one of those people who beg for help when I don't need it. I like to be with my friends when they farm in Marleybone, not just because I gain but because I like to hang out with them. They're really fun and spunky and quirky and just a blast to hang out with, even though I get killed like 99.9999999999999999...% percent of the time. I also always make sure that it's okay with my friends before I join them, and I do everything that I can to truly help, even though I can't do very much. Well hey, now I've become a master at removing ship tokens.
Now I am Sure you are exaggerating over how many times you get killed . I get killed a lot just going through the learning process of who a boss is and what their tricks or special talents are, but once I figure them out, Look Out , they are going Down . You or a companion getting knocked out isn't always a bad thing, it is a tool. More than once I have placed someone in harms way to get a target to use his epics on them then they are left wide open for the others to finish off. I seriously suspect you are way better than you think you are. I see how you think here, and I Know that smart brain of yours works to your favor as you get through the quests. .
You are one of the polite, team thinking players that make this game such a joy to play. Keep up the good work, Having you on anyone's list is a privilege.
I just wish there was menu chat for "I am just farming for a particular object and don't want to bore you, so that's why I don't 'Need' help, I am sparing you the grinding" Well I am sure there is a shorter way to say that lol.
Once I was looking for an object that only one boss drops and then only from a ship board fight. I had two wonderful menu chat friends who wanted to be nice and help me and they kept sinking the ship, lol. I had absolutely No way to tell them what I needed. Only by them watching me position myself right beside the boss and hit x as quick as I could so I could board, they quickly realized what I was after, but not why. I applaud them for shifting their fighting style and then started helping me do deck fights. I just wish I could tell them what I was after so they wouldn't think I was totally bonkers for doing deck fights with a boss that was a world below me. lol. Eventually I will get that Valor's Armor for buccaneers. I just have to look a bit loopy in the process . It's easy enough to tell a text chat friend why I am there and they say "Oh great idea" but my poor menu chat friends must be just shaking their heads at me wondering if I have totally lost it . Kudo's to you guy or you patience with me. Lol what you must think, lol. Blessings and giggles to all of ya. You have a tough time of it and my heart goes out to you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
TalonDevereaux68 on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
It's not so much strangers jumping on sigils that I activate that bothers me (more players in combat = more enemies = more gold), so much as it is strangers that initiate combat before I have a chance to hear any quest-related dialogue.

Yeah, I am one of those annoying roleplayers you've heard about that talks like a pirate and enjoys the storyline.
I agree totally. I enjoy hearing the voicework and sometimes my best screenshots come from random movements during speech interaction with my pirate. It is very irritating to have someone start a fight before I am ready, especially if I happen to be in 'ctrl G' mode and a fight starts I have to reboot the whole game to get out of the resulting glitch as it shows a blank screen when ever it is on the grid that you select your moves.
When ever I am in someone else's dungeon I Never initiate anything. I always step back and let the lead player do all the reading and clicking. After all it is their quest and I am only there to help, not run it. I won't even pick up a chest if it is not my dungeon. I can't tell you how many times I had to do certain dungeons that had puzzles in it that you had to figure out in Wiz but I never got the chance to figure things out because another player would rush past and do everything just because they wanted the goods at the end and didn't want to bother with enjoying anything. Respect for the quest lead is really important to me. Please guys do not hit the "Done" button in a text window without having the courtesy of asking "Ready" to the other players in there with you.

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
79
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
I agree totally. I enjoy hearing the voicework and sometimes my best screenshots come from random movements during speech interaction with my pirate. It is very irritating to have someone start a fight before I am ready, especially if I happen to be in 'ctrl G' mode and a fight starts I have to reboot the whole game to get out of the resulting glitch as it shows a blank screen when ever it is on the grid that you select your moves.
When ever I am in someone else's dungeon I Never initiate anything. I always step back and let the lead player do all the reading and clicking. After all it is their quest and I am only there to help, not run it. I won't even pick up a chest if it is not my dungeon. I can't tell you how many times I had to do certain dungeons that had puzzles in it that you had to figure out in Wiz but I never got the chance to figure things out because another player would rush past and do everything just because they wanted the goods at the end and didn't want to bother with enjoying anything. Respect for the quest lead is really important to me. Please guys do not hit the "Done" button in a text window without having the courtesy of asking "Ready" to the other players in there with you.
Oh my. I really need to learn more about the ins and outs of gameplay. I never even considered those aspects of doing a dungeon with company. I solo 99% of the time so I'm afraid I tend to be unaware of some courtesy issues when I'm with someone. I do want to be and try to be a considerate and respectful player so I'm glad to learn about these things that I've overlooked.

I remember helping with one quest that I'd already completed and I just assumed that they were getting their own dialogue windows and that me clicking through them (since I already knew what was being said) was only affecting my own screen. I was also scrolling through not wanting to delay them. It never occurred to me that they weren't able to read and hear the instructions! Ugh.

As far as text/menu chats, I have friends on my list with only menu chat but if we're in the same area they can read my texts on the screen. Correct? I swear I can remember checking with one who said she was able to see what I was typing even if she could only respond through menu.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
Oh my. I really need to learn more about the ins and outs of gameplay. I never even considered those aspects of doing a dungeon with company. I solo 99% of the time so I'm afraid I tend to be unaware of some courtesy issues when I'm with someone. I do want to be and try to be a considerate and respectful player so I'm glad to learn about these things that I've overlooked.

I remember helping with one quest that I'd already completed and I just assumed that they were getting their own dialogue windows and that me clicking through them (since I already knew what was being said) was only affecting my own screen. I was also scrolling through not wanting to delay them. It never occurred to me that they weren't able to read and hear the instructions! Ugh.

As far as text/menu chats, I have friends on my list with only menu chat but if we're in the same area they can read my texts on the screen. Correct? I swear I can remember checking with one who said she was able to see what I was typing even if she could only respond through menu.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb
That's so nice that you want to be considerate. We need more players like you. The other players do get separate text windows its just that when you hit "Done" it starts the fight and if they haven't finished reading their windows it gets bypassed. So, feel free to click ahead, just wait before you click the Done, at least that's what I try to do
Kudos to you for looking out for the other player. Well done.

As far as I have heard text chat players can only see "....." when we talk. If it is different there may be different levels of menu chat. It would be good to hear an employee let us know. I know I asked one who had just been muted for bad language and he had another account open at the same time so he was there with both his menu chat pirate and his limited chat one. He told me his menu chat pirate could not see what I was saying. It would be interesting to see which is accurate.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
Oh my. I really need to learn more about the ins and outs of gameplay. I never even considered those aspects of doing a dungeon with company. I solo 99% of the time so I'm afraid I tend to be unaware of some courtesy issues when I'm with someone. I do want to be and try to be a considerate and respectful player so I'm glad to learn about these things that I've overlooked.

I remember helping with one quest that I'd already completed and I just assumed that they were getting their own dialogue windows and that me clicking through them (since I already knew what was being said) was only affecting my own screen. I was also scrolling through not wanting to delay them. It never occurred to me that they weren't able to read and hear the instructions! Ugh.

As far as text/menu chats, I have friends on my list with only menu chat but if we're in the same area they can read my texts on the screen. Correct? I swear I can remember checking with one who said she was able to see what I was typing even if she could only respond through menu.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb
Yeah, I think KI changed it to where if someone is with you in a dungeon and they click 'Done' before you, then the whole voice-over stops and both you and he/she goes into the fight. I swear, I remember a time not too long ago where it didn't work like that and that you could hear the voice-over while they clicked 'Done' and still read through it while they fight first...

As far as Menu Chat people, they can't (or shouldn't) be able to see what you're typing... if they can, then I don't know. Perhaps they used a cheat or hack or something (maybe they aren't really Menu Chat people, but just use it often)...

Ensign
Jun 05, 2011
23
Usually I'll stitch my equipment so I don't look too high level.. Also, Bloody Belle, Text Chat to Menu Chat users just appears as "..."