For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Crab Hermit

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 03, 2010
48
Now, this post isn't just me saying how bad it is, I have a legitimate question. Did Kingsisle mean to put him in serious combat, or was he just a joke put in by the developers for people like me who used to just rank companions based on level (Yes, I am aware that is not smart, I've learned better now.).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10580
Cody Lighthunter on Sep 24, 2015 wrote:
Now, this post isn't just me saying how bad it is, I have a legitimate question. Did Kingsisle mean to put him in serious combat, or was he just a joke put in by the developers for people like me who used to just rank companions based on level (Yes, I am aware that is not smart, I've learned better now.).
I think he was put in to give Swashbucklers necessary Witchdoctor fire power ( but, yeah, even with the current companion upgrade, he's a joke. )

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
397
He just needs mojo echo... just like most of those without relentless/burst fire need it as well.

Tanks like Ratbeard dont need it... but lets face it, if a companion cant tank or be useful in some other way AND cant learn relentless/echo/burst... then it's utterly worthless, even if you gave them more promotions.

Ensign
Feb 03, 2010
48
We had Old Scratch for the witchdoctor fire power. BUT, Old Scratch really isn't the best companion in the roster, so I guess I could just hand you a chocolate bar and forget this ever happened. (The chocolate bar because I am kind and most people like chocolate.)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
2068
When companions were first invented, we were supposed to have a randomized crew and sometimes NOT get dealt a guaranteed winning hand. Sometimes, we had to know how to use the ones that didn't have optimal Epics and great talents. Sometimes we got the squishy ones or musketeers that didn't have the range of the best Companions. And sometimes we lost a battle because of it.

You know what? I thought the game was more fun then.

But, too many players complained that they only wanted "good" companions on their crew. They refuse to do side quests to get lesser companions, and won't spend gold on training tomes if a companion "isn't worth it." They weren't happy with being able to "bench" the ones they liked least. They complained so much that the developers caved and had to reinvent their whole companion system and honestly, I believe that's what mucked up the works so much that we haven't had the next Book in our storyline.

Crab Hermit is a perfectly good Companion if you want him to be. I have no complaints.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10580
Willowydream on Sep 24, 2015 wrote:
When companions were first invented, we were supposed to have a randomized crew and sometimes NOT get dealt a guaranteed winning hand. Sometimes, we had to know how to use the ones that didn't have optimal Epics and great talents. Sometimes we got the squishy ones or musketeers that didn't have the range of the best Companions. And sometimes we lost a battle because of it.

You know what? I thought the game was more fun then.

But, too many players complained that they only wanted "good" companions on their crew. They refuse to do side quests to get lesser companions, and won't spend gold on training tomes if a companion "isn't worth it." They weren't happy with being able to "bench" the ones they liked least. They complained so much that the developers caved and had to reinvent their whole companion system and honestly, I believe that's what mucked up the works so much that we haven't had the next Book in our storyline.

Crab Hermit is a perfectly good Companion if you want him to be. I have no complaints.
I would have been perfectly content with that Crab Hermit if he was as good as Scratchy was before the last patch, but sadly, both his witchdoctor attacks and his summons are weak. Face it, he is truly bad. If he were better; say on par with the Inishishi Necromancer, more players would likely consider buying him - he's in the crown shop. Why have a companion in the crown shop that no one with sense would buy? How does that gain revenue for KI?
The advanced companions was great improvement to the game, enhancing play and strategies. I'm inclined to think that it was planned all along.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
397
anecorbie on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
I would have been perfectly content with that Crab Hermit if he was as good as Scratchy was before the last patch, but sadly, both his witchdoctor attacks and his summons are weak. Face it, he is truly bad. If he were better; say on par with the Inishishi Necromancer, more players would likely consider buying him - he's in the crown shop. Why have a companion in the crown shop that no one with sense would buy? How does that gain revenue for KI?
The advanced companions was great improvement to the game, enhancing play and strategies. I'm inclined to think that it was planned all along.
He isnt the only useless crown shop companion :P

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
732
In my opinon, the crab hermit do need some improvement in combat.Like add summon big carb to his talent.
As a player it's very hard to figure out, this companion in battle. It took me 3 or 4 resets to improve his stats to last longer in battles, so far still no luck.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
2068
anecorbie on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
I would have been perfectly content with that Crab Hermit if he was as good as Scratchy was before the last patch, but sadly, both his witchdoctor attacks and his summons are weak. Face it, he is truly bad. If he were better; say on par with the Inishishi Necromancer, more players would likely consider buying him - he's in the crown shop. Why have a companion in the crown shop that no one with sense would buy? How does that gain revenue for KI?
The advanced companions was great improvement to the game, enhancing play and strategies. I'm inclined to think that it was planned all along.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I personally think that the bigger and more varied a crew, the more fun the game. That is the original direction the developers and programmers were going in, if you played the Beta, you will remember. They DIDN'T want us to use the same three companions over and over and over and over... ad infinitum. Unfortunately, some people wanted to do just that, and their feedback was loud and clear. Benching was the first "fix" to getting rid of unpopular companions. Advanced Companions was in response to the continued comparisons of Epics and Powers and complaints about "bad" companions. Now you can even plunk them down in your house and never see them again if that's what you want to do.

Whether the Crab Hermit is bad or not is up to the pirate whose crew he's on -- as I say, I use him, I don't think his summons are bad or weak if his Will is properly boosted. I think we do need companions of varying abilities, or else the game would have just the main storyline companions to choose from and there would still be arguments about who was better than who.

Why have more than one mount in the game, or pet? Believe it or not there are people who collect Companions like others collects mounts and pets. People still buy them. I bought a whole crew of Monquistans just because -- revenue for KI, there you go.

If Advanced Companions had been planned all along, it should have been in the initial release, wouldn't you say? Or why overhaul the whole system time and time again? It was in response to player feedback, plain and simple.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
397
Willowydream on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I personally think that the bigger and more varied a crew, the more fun the game. That is the original direction the developers and programmers were going in, if you played the Beta, you will remember. They DIDN'T want us to use the same three companions over and over and over and over... ad infinitum. Unfortunately, some people wanted to do just that, and their feedback was loud and clear. Benching was the first "fix" to getting rid of unpopular companions. Advanced Companions was in response to the continued comparisons of Epics and Powers and complaints about "bad" companions. Now you can even plunk them down in your house and never see them again if that's what you want to do.

Whether the Crab Hermit is bad or not is up to the pirate whose crew he's on -- as I say, I use him, I don't think his summons are bad or weak if his Will is properly boosted. I think we do need companions of varying abilities, or else the game would have just the main storyline companions to choose from and there would still be arguments about who was better than who.

Why have more than one mount in the game, or pet? Believe it or not there are people who collect Companions like others collects mounts and pets. People still buy them. I bought a whole crew of Monquistans just because -- revenue for KI, there you go.

If Advanced Companions had been planned all along, it should have been in the initial release, wouldn't you say? Or why overhaul the whole system time and time again? It was in response to player feedback, plain and simple.
No offense Willow, but you're probably in the minority... most people want strong companions, even more so now with ranked pvp.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
2068
Silver Angel on Sep 27, 2015 wrote:
No offense Willow, but you're probably in the minority... most people want strong companions, even more so now with ranked pvp.
None taken - I know that most of the members WHO POST HERE are like you, fans of PvP, however only KI knows how many others are casual players like me who only want to have fun sailing the skyways and questing without even dabbling in Practice PvP, much less Ranked. We still get to have a voice, even if it gets shouted down or laughed at. We should never assume that EVERYONE else wants the same things we do. We can only hope that there are ENOUGH others who agree.


Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10580
Willowydream on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I personally think that the bigger and more varied a crew, the more fun the game. That is the original direction the developers and programmers were going in, if you played the Beta, you will remember. They DIDN'T want us to use the same three companions over and over and over and over... ad infinitum. Unfortunately, some people wanted to do just that, and their feedback was loud and clear. Benching was the first "fix" to getting rid of unpopular companions. Advanced Companions was in response to the continued comparisons of Epics and Powers and complaints about "bad" companions. Now you can even plunk them down in your house and never see them again if that's what you want to do.

Whether the Crab Hermit is bad or not is up to the pirate whose crew he's on -- as I say, I use him, I don't think his summons are bad or weak if his Will is properly boosted. I think we do need companions of varying abilities, or else the game would have just the main storyline companions to choose from and there would still be arguments about who was better than who.

Why have more than one mount in the game, or pet? Believe it or not there are people who collect Companions like others collects mounts and pets. People still buy them. I bought a whole crew of Monquistans just because -- revenue for KI, there you go.

If Advanced Companions had been planned all along, it should have been in the initial release, wouldn't you say? Or why overhaul the whole system time and time again? It was in response to player feedback, plain and simple.
When we're facing tough, stronger opponents; who do you want on your side - the best or someone that barely makes 3rd tier? I've maxed is will and spooky and he still fails to perform to a standard. The only use I get from him is in Wranglin'.
We could only bench 3, that wouldn't have been feasible as we proceeded through the storyline. People asked to place companions in their housing from the beginning.
BTW, my crew is varied, I have more than enough Muskets, Privs, Bucks & SBs ( a lot of the last two ) BUT I don't have enough WD fire power, and sometimes I feel the need for some. ( Which is why I bought the Inoshishi Necromancer. )

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
397
Willowydream on Sep 28, 2015 wrote:
None taken - I know that most of the members WHO POST HERE are like you, fans of PvP, however only KI knows how many others are casual players like me who only want to have fun sailing the skyways and questing without even dabbling in Practice PvP, much less Ranked. We still get to have a voice, even if it gets shouted down or laughed at. We should never assume that EVERYONE else wants the same things we do. We can only hope that there are ENOUGH others who agree.

I totally agree, and so does KI... that's why they left the option to keep random companion order :)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
2068
anecorbie on Sep 28, 2015 wrote:
When we're facing tough, stronger opponents; who do you want on your side - the best or someone that barely makes 3rd tier? I've maxed is will and spooky and he still fails to perform to a standard. The only use I get from him is in Wranglin'.
We could only bench 3, that wouldn't have been feasible as we proceeded through the storyline. People asked to place companions in their housing from the beginning.
BTW, my crew is varied, I have more than enough Muskets, Privs, Bucks & SBs ( a lot of the last two ) BUT I don't have enough WD fire power, and sometimes I feel the need for some. ( Which is why I bought the Inoshishi Necromancer. )
To tell you the truth, I find a victory more sweet when I've accomplished it with Nurse Quinn, Lucky Jack Russell and Crab Hermit -- sure they may be "3rd tier" to many other players, but if I can squeak out a win with that team, it feels really great. I'm not all about efficient play and quick battles. If I join someone in a dungeon and they ask me to turn on Fast Combat, I'm a little offended. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

Even if I'm the only voice for the casual, random, unhurried player, I'll still give my view when others are posting "everyone wants" this or "no one wants" that. I always feel I need to stick up for the underdog companions when other players deem them a joke or useless.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10580
Willowydream on Sep 29, 2015 wrote:
To tell you the truth, I find a victory more sweet when I've accomplished it with Nurse Quinn, Lucky Jack Russell and Crab Hermit -- sure they may be "3rd tier" to many other players, but if I can squeak out a win with that team, it feels really great. I'm not all about efficient play and quick battles. If I join someone in a dungeon and they ask me to turn on Fast Combat, I'm a little offended. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

Even if I'm the only voice for the casual, random, unhurried player, I'll still give my view when others are posting "everyone wants" this or "no one wants" that. I always feel I need to stick up for the underdog companions when other players deem them a joke or useless.
No problems, Willowydream, I'm not offended. I like many of your posts, too. Keep up the slow-down-and smell-the-roses attitude.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
397
Willowydream on Sep 29, 2015 wrote:
To tell you the truth, I find a victory more sweet when I've accomplished it with Nurse Quinn, Lucky Jack Russell and Crab Hermit -- sure they may be "3rd tier" to many other players, but if I can squeak out a win with that team, it feels really great. I'm not all about efficient play and quick battles. If I join someone in a dungeon and they ask me to turn on Fast Combat, I'm a little offended. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

Even if I'm the only voice for the casual, random, unhurried player, I'll still give my view when others are posting "everyone wants" this or "no one wants" that. I always feel I need to stick up for the underdog companions when other players deem them a joke or useless.
It can be interpreted the other way around too. To me a victory is sweeter when I chose the right companions and strategy for a given battle. And it's also part of *my* fun, choosing the right companion for this or that situation.

Though I have a casual side too, I dislike fast combat, and not only because my comp is old. I just like enjoying animations and musics/sounds at normal speed.

But as you said everyone seem to be in a hurry, if anyone in tower has fast combat on, I have no choice but turn mine on too... so yeah :/

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
70
Well, if you look he does have a unique stat unlike many witchdoctors he has good armor, this new update is one step in improving him. And I believe Ratbeard at one time said every companion will get at least 1 promotion, so he may one day become a secret weapon. Before this update, few used scratch for PVP, now he is popular choice. Maybe Crab will do that sometime.