Companions' stats...

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 10, 2009
21
So, after playing this game for a while and watching and experimenting with my main stats, I thought I'd look to see if companions' stats worked the same way ( +1 damage per 5 points of stat) well, after using strong to increase my ratbeard's strength from like 53 to 55, I expected his damage to go up by 1. It didn't.... I was mad lol cause those talent increases only come around every few levels, and I had just wasted one. Can someone tell me why this is? It should work the same way for companions as it does for us. Just sayin...

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
The damage has quite a range from minimum to maximum. 1 point is not enough to truly notice. You'd have to factor in the mob's defense/resistance as well.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
I completely agree with you, but dont lose heart, I think it is bugged and KI is avoiding the issue currently, since there are so many other things they are working on.

Both QueQueg and I have both tested this theory on our Buccaneer's, We both took our Bucs and used Whale's, Sharks, and then Squids, got our Stength over 200. My Weapon Damage is 190 to 280 I am rounding but that is pretty close, I would have to be on my Buc to tell you exact stats.

Anyway, normally, I hit for 250 to 260 damage, sometimes I hit a glancing blow and hit 180 to 190, but not very often.

Now, with all the buffs and both of us using 3 rounds to cast all the strength boosts and being within the range to be boosted, we can look at eachothers stats and see our strength is boosted, but we constantly hit for only 221 damage. Not more, but less than our normal damage without any boosts.

I have posted this already on the message boards. But I do agree, not only should players actually be boosted and have those boosts be effective, but so should companions.

Ensign
Mar 10, 2009
21
Thanks for the replies! However, what i was talking about is not even in battle damage. I'm talking about the fact that for every 5 points of strength, your total base damage range is supposed to go up by 1 (the fist) and when i got my Ratbeard's strength from 53 to 55, his base damage should have gone up by one (the fist) but it didnt

Community Leader
gtippett on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! However, what i was talking about is not even in battle damage. I'm talking about the fact that for every 5 points of strength, your total base damage range is supposed to go up by 1 (the fist) and when i got my Ratbeard's strength from 53 to 55, his base damage should have gone up by one (the fist) but it didnt
The only reason I could think of for this (besides that it's a bug) is that Ratbeard started out on an odd number (for argument's sake, let's say it 9 Str). Every 5 you add on top of that 9 STR gets you 1 damage, so you wouldn't be awarded that damage point at 10 and 15, you'd get it a 14 and 19.

I don't know if this is the way it works or not. It's just a guess. It may be a bug!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Developer
Darth JT on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
I completely agree with you, but dont lose heart, I think it is bugged and KI is avoiding the issue currently, since there are so many other things they are working on.

Both QueQueg and I have both tested this theory on our Buccaneer's, We both took our Bucs and used Whale's, Sharks, and then Squids, got our Stength over 200. My Weapon Damage is 190 to 280 I am rounding but that is pretty close, I would have to be on my Buc to tell you exact stats.

Anyway, normally, I hit for 250 to 260 damage, sometimes I hit a glancing blow and hit 180 to 190, but not very often.

Now, with all the buffs and both of us using 3 rounds to cast all the strength boosts and being within the range to be boosted, we can look at eachothers stats and see our strength is boosted, but we constantly hit for only 221 damage. Not more, but less than our normal damage without any boosts.

I have posted this already on the message boards. But I do agree, not only should players actually be boosted and have those boosts be effective, but so should companions.
Every attack involves a comparison of stats.

If the defender is also buffing his STR, this is negating the advantage you ordinarily enjoy from beating up on milquetoasts.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Ratbeard on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
Every attack involves a comparison of stats.

If the defender is also buffing his STR, this is negating the advantage you ordinarily enjoy from beating up on milquetoasts.
We were not fighting eachother, we were in the Haunted Skyway in the Abandoned Church's Graveyard. We were fighting Black Bart, the Skeletal Warriors, and the Skeletal Archers.

These Mobs do not Buff Strength. The Archers should not even have armor, but should have resistance. Yet, hitting either of these mobs, did not increase our damage. It was actually lowered. We both were on the same team and buffing eachother at the same time. We had many buffs of Whales, Sharks, and Squids, we have even had other friends with Great Juju buffing us. Our Strength at times was close to 300 and we were not hitting for more than our normal damage, we were actually hitting for less than normal damage.

So, not quite sure what your point is here RatBeard, I am trying to explain that there is a bug and it needs to be fixed.

As far as the companions go, the OP is correct, the companions do not gain any damage for gaining 5 points in their respective classes. A Swashbuckler companion, should gain 1 more damage if you gave that companion Agility and took it from say 67 to 70, then yes, I agree, the companion should gain 1 more damage!

Developer
Darth JT on Dec 16, 2012 wrote:
We were not fighting eachother, we were in the Haunted Skyway in the Abandoned Church's Graveyard. We were fighting Black Bart, the Skeletal Warriors, and the Skeletal Archers.

These Mobs do not Buff Strength. The Archers should not even have armor, but should have resistance. Yet, hitting either of these mobs, did not increase our damage. It was actually lowered. We both were on the same team and buffing eachother at the same time. We had many buffs of Whales, Sharks, and Squids, we have even had other friends with Great Juju buffing us. Our Strength at times was close to 300 and we were not hitting for more than our normal damage, we were actually hitting for less than normal damage.

So, not quite sure what your point is here RatBeard, I am trying to explain that there is a bug and it needs to be fixed.

As far as the companions go, the OP is correct, the companions do not gain any damage for gaining 5 points in their respective classes. A Swashbuckler companion, should gain 1 more damage if you gave that companion Agility and took it from say 67 to 70, then yes, I agree, the companion should gain 1 more damage!
Ok, I'll investigate. I'd love to have more information to work with, actually.

Keep in mind that Black Bart is probably flagged as a boss, so there's any number of weird issues that might introduce. Keep your testing to random mobs.

(And keep in mind that many, many enemy musketeers have both armor and resistance. They don't necessarily behave like player classes. Anything made out of bones, for example, probably has a little bit of armor. )

With respect to the companions damage, I don't think that currently the companion stats page displays the bonus for stats.

This is a display issue only-- the stats bonus is included on every attack at the time of attack.

We have to do a little extra coding to display the stats bonus on the character sheet, but I don't think we do it on the companion character sheet. You're getting the bonus during combat, but if you take your Agility from 34 to 35 (for example) I don't think the character sheet updates the damage by +1.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Ratbeard on Dec 17, 2012 wrote:
Ok, I'll investigate. I'd love to have more information to work with, actually.

Keep in mind that Black Bart is probably flagged as a boss, so there's any number of weird issues that might introduce. Keep your testing to random mobs.

(And keep in mind that many, many enemy musketeers have both armor and resistance. They don't necessarily behave like player classes. Anything made out of bones, for example, probably has a little bit of armor. )

With respect to the companions damage, I don't think that currently the companion stats page displays the bonus for stats.

This is a display issue only-- the stats bonus is included on every attack at the time of attack.

We have to do a little extra coding to display the stats bonus on the character sheet, but I don't think we do it on the companion character sheet. You're getting the bonus during combat, but if you take your Agility from 34 to 35 (for example) I don't think the character sheet updates the damage by +1.
Very good to know, I will test this again with QueQueg Later on today with random mobs and let you know my findings. I do want to let you know, I test and investigate these things thoroughly before I post them, I am not one to jump the gun and not bring facts and figures and just whine and complain.

I will however, do as you said and get you more information.

Another thing I would like to bring up and address while we are at it, Now that Hide in Shadows and Walk in Darkness is fixed, it is supposed to give 2x damage. While it pretty much does to almost everything, I have found 2 faults so far that I have thoroughly tested. 1: It does not work with Dance of Steel. 2: Only on the SwashBuckler, it is not working on Assassin's Strike. It works fine on the Buccaneer and Privateer and does massive damage, but on the Swashbuckler, only the 3x damage is being given. Can you please look into these also?

I will get back with you on the other asap.

Thanks,
DarthJT