Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions from packs (crown shop)

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 20, 2012
When will companions from packs be available to purchase through the crown shop?

I understand that the major drive of the packs is the randomized chance of getting a companion and if you can just purchase companions then packs become less bought. However, the grizzly and tribal packs are great b/c they give you great gear, pet snacks etc and you can sell them at decent prices if you want. But the Armada pack is trash except for the companions: mediocre gear, low-tier housing and you can't sell anything for any decent amount of gold (15 I believe for every housing item).

I think being able to purchase pack companions (even at slightly higher crown rates - 6000?) would be reasonable, given you can still get some decent loot exclusive to those packs.

What do you think? Should we have pack companions available to through the crown store? Do you think they should be available to purchase during a year event (like the ships from Halloween)?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Druidya on May 30, 2018 wrote:
When will companions from packs be available to purchase through the crown shop?

I understand that the major drive of the packs is the randomized chance of getting a companion and if you can just purchase companions then packs become less bought. However, the grizzly and tribal packs are great b/c they give you great gear, pet snacks etc and you can sell them at decent prices if you want. But the Armada pack is trash except for the companions: mediocre gear, low-tier housing and you can't sell anything for any decent amount of gold (15 I believe for every housing item).

I think being able to purchase pack companions (even at slightly higher crown rates - 6000?) would be reasonable, given you can still get some decent loot exclusive to those packs.

What do you think? Should we have pack companions available to through the crown store? Do you think they should be available to purchase during a year event (like the ships from Halloween)?
No, we shouldn't be able to buy these companions in the Crown Shop for the same reason we wouldn't be able to buy bundle companions in the crown shop: because this is one of the ways that KI makes the money to run this game.
Make the pack companions available in the crown shop and there would be no reason to buy a pack.
Also, I disagree that the Ashes of the Armada pack is trash - the weapons are very powerful and easy to get. The furnishings are great for those who want to design their houses in Grizzleheim or Krokotopia style.

Community Leader

Very bad idea. For starters, I disagree with the notion that the armada pack is "trash" outside the companions. The weapons are better than everything besides dreadnaught, champion, and maybe Moo Tower weapons. Also, most people I know who have went for these pack companions, myself included, have spent well over 10-20k crowns just to get 1 companion, often times not even getting the unit they wanted. You are right that it would instantly tank pack sales. The snacks and gear from the 3 packs we currently have are not worth spending 400 crowns a pop for if you're not attempting to get a companion from the packs (since you hypothetically bought them). Keep the pack companions exclusive to their packs.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Ensign
Jan 20, 2012

I admit that the armada pack isn't trash: that was unfair. I guess my main concern (for that pack) is that the items you get cannot be sold for much gold whereas the other pack items can be sold for more/less which is fairer. Perhaps KI could update this?

I don't understand your point about spending 10-20k crowns to get a companion either. Wouldn't you rather spend more crowns, more than regular crown companions (say 8k) to get a guaranteed pack companion? Keep the packs and the random chance of getting a companion for lower, but provide people with the option to spend more for a guaranteed success. that seems much fairer to me. KI can still make buckets of green but move away from a purely gambling framework to one that is more equitable and transparent. Perhaps this is the compromise?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Druidya on May 31, 2018 wrote:
I admit that the armada pack isn't trash: that was unfair. I guess my main concern (for that pack) is that the items you get cannot be sold for much gold whereas the other pack items can be sold for more/less which is fairer. Perhaps KI could update this?

I don't understand your point about spending 10-20k crowns to get a companion either. Wouldn't you rather spend more crowns, more than regular crown companions (say 8k) to get a guaranteed pack companion? Keep the packs and the random chance of getting a companion for lower, but provide people with the option to spend more for a guaranteed success. that seems much fairer to me. KI can still make buckets of green but move away from a purely gambling framework to one that is more equitable and transparent. Perhaps this is the compromise?
If you want a guaranteed companion pack, then buy the Spirits of Yuletide, all this pack contains are companions; but besides companions our 3 ( so far ) booster packs contain other things besides companions, which makes the gamble worth it ( at least for me ).
Tribal pack often gives new pirates a mount without needing to spend a lot of crowns for one, Beastmaster pack is a boon to pet lovers with snacks and energy boosting accessories ( not to mention doubloons ), and Ashes of the Armada has the best weapons ( plus an interesting accessory ).
Side note: you get more gold from drops or companions set to "Plunderin'" & "Scavengin'" than you can from a pack.

Any further packs whether seasonal or everyday will have companions and other things and I'm looking forward to them. I don't mind a gamble, since when you do manage to beat the RNG, it's a nice surprise. I'm against guaranteed "pay to win" items.

I believe that packs provide more "green" than a straight purchase of companions, since a player could very easily spend more than 8k for a desired companion.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 1, 2018 wrote:
If you want a guaranteed companion pack, then buy the Spirits of Yuletide, all this pack contains are companions; but besides companions our 3 ( so far ) booster packs contain other things besides companions, which makes the gamble worth it ( at least for me ).
Tribal pack often gives new pirates a mount without needing to spend a lot of crowns for one, Beastmaster pack is a boon to pet lovers with snacks and energy boosting accessories ( not to mention doubloons ), and Ashes of the Armada has the best weapons ( plus an interesting accessory ).
Side note: you get more gold from drops or companions set to "Plunderin'" & "Scavengin'" than you can from a pack.

Any further packs whether seasonal or everyday will have companions and other things and I'm looking forward to them. I don't mind a gamble, since when you do manage to beat the RNG, it's a nice surprise. I'm against guaranteed "pay to win" items.

I believe that packs provide more "green" than a straight purchase of companions, since a player could very easily spend more than 8k for a desired companion.
While all that is true, a player could also spend 25,000 crowns on packs just to get 1 companion whereas they could buy 3 or 4 companions at regular price if they didn't buy the packs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 1, 2018 wrote:
While all that is true, a player could also spend 25,000 crowns on packs just to get 1 companion whereas they could buy 3 or 4 companions at regular price if they didn't buy the packs.
And that just proves my point that packs make more money for KI than sselling companions in the Crown Shop.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
And that just proves my point that packs make more money for KI than sselling companions in the Crown Shop.

It sure seems to LOL.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
It sure seems to LOL.
Of course, there are those who get a companion without spending a ton of crowns..... I'm not one of those lucky few.

Ensign
Jan 20, 2012

I agree that you could spend a ridiculous amount of crowns on single packs to get a companion (too easily imo). But if KI wants to maximise the money they made through crowns they would provide pack companions in the crown shop for two reasons: 1) you purchase it for a set price which is already higher than the packs. This means that players can either buy this for 20X the price of a pack and be sure they get a companion or gamble on the chance to get a companion for between ~ 400 and 7600 crowns. 2) if you get a companion in the first pack then KI have made very little money, whereas to purchase the companion outright means their gross profit is higher.

But I do agree that the fun of opening a pack and getting something good is exciting. I guess the gambling problem only comes in if you only want the companion.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Druidya on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
I agree that you could spend a ridiculous amount of crowns on single packs to get a companion (too easily imo). But if KI wants to maximise the money they made through crowns they would provide pack companions in the crown shop for two reasons: 1) you purchase it for a set price which is already higher than the packs. This means that players can either buy this for 20X the price of a pack and be sure they get a companion or gamble on the chance to get a companion for between ~ 400 and 7600 crowns. 2) if you get a companion in the first pack then KI have made very little money, whereas to purchase the companion outright means their gross profit is higher.

But I do agree that the fun of opening a pack and getting something good is exciting. I guess the gambling problem only comes in if you only want the companion.
When we got the Ashes of the Armada Pack, I was disappointed - but not about the pack itself; but because that it included Armada companions. I ( and a few other posters ) were adamantly against having Armada companions - they were supposed to be a fearsome enemy whom we must fight for the survival of the Spiral, now anyone can get one, even a level 1.
I would have preferred that these companions were Unlocked Crown Shop companions ( say after you defeated Kane ) but KI decided otherwise.
But having the pack companions in the Crown Shop would be unfair to the players who have already spent thousands of crowns to get them and have them. If they see that others can now buy whichever one they want and for much less than they spent - then there would be no reason to buy future packs, all they have to do is wait for KI to put them in the Crown Shop.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 3, 2018 wrote:
When we got the Ashes of the Armada Pack, I was disappointed - but not about the pack itself; but because that it included Armada companions. I ( and a few other posters ) were adamantly against having Armada companions - they were supposed to be a fearsome enemy whom we must fight for the survival of the Spiral, now anyone can get one, even a level 1.
I would have preferred that these companions were Unlocked Crown Shop companions ( say after you defeated Kane ) but KI decided otherwise.
But having the pack companions in the Crown Shop would be unfair to the players who have already spent thousands of crowns to get them and have them. If they see that others can now buy whichever one they want and for much less than they spent - then there would be no reason to buy future packs, all they have to do is wait for KI to put them in the Crown Shop.
I agreed at the time, and I still agree that we should not have gotten Armada companions in a pack. I don't think we should get them in the Crown Shop either (Prince Yulefest-type or other less-OP clockworks are what should have been there) but what's done is done.

I have spent THOUSANDS of crowns on both the Tribal and Ashes packs and only received ONE tribal companion and zero clockworks. That doesn't mean I want to see them available in the Crown Shop.

Some rare things must remain rare or what is the point.

Community Leader
Druidya on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:

KI makes significantly more money with their current model than they would if they were to sell these companions individually in the crown shop. Let's hypothetically say that 5 friends bought packs to attempt to get a companion. Let's say 1 person gets a companion first try Let's also say the other 4/5 spend 10000 crowns to get a companion. That's an average of 8080 crowns per companion for these 5 players. Currently, the most expensive crowns companion is 7500 crowns. If KI was to sell them at this price, the aforementioned friends would have spent 37500 crowns to each get a companion rather than the 40400 that gambling would have cost them.

Now, you have to realize that the estimates I provided are likely severely overestimated and not representative of the population of pirate101 players. I highly doubt that 1/5 players gets a companion in their first pack. My guess is that the number is closer to 1/100+. I also am certain that 4/5 players don't get a companion in the hypothetical 10000 crowns (25 packs). From my own experience and the experience of my friends that habitually crack packs, my guess is that the average companion drop rate is about 1/75-1/100 packs (30000-40000 crowns, obviously less when we factor in people buying some packs during sales). Also take into account that some people want a specific companion (say, the battle angel for pvp). Now it's not unrealistic to crack 300-400+ packs before you get the companion you want (easily over 100k crowns). Sure, there aren't many people who are this willing to invest into packs, but KI likely loses the equivalent of upwards of 92750 crowns per person that is this devoted if they were to sell the companions individually. They would lose, on average, 20k crowns per person that just wanted any pack companion. KI knows what they're doing. There's a reason why the most powerful and unique companions are behind the pack paywall.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP