Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions: Different Amounts?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 12, 2011
I am just a regular buccaneer who is almost to level 50. And buccaneers have the least amount of companions than any other class! I don't know why but Privateers and Swashbucklers are rich in companions. Think about it. Privateers get Jane Canary, Wild Bill Peacock, and even Jim Masterson! I'm hoping KI makes the companion amounts fair in the test realm.

Crazy Dustin Kidd lvl 36

Developer
Different classes have different numbers of companions, and this is by design-- some players like having lots of companions, and some players like being able to focus on just a few companions.

If you want to play the class with the most companions, choose Privateer.

If you want to play the class with the fewest companions, choose Buccaneer.

Community Leader
On the bright side, Dustin, a smaller crew means you need fewer training tomes. Seems like my Privateer's forever gold farming to buy more tomes, he'd like to max everybody out but there's just too many mouths to feed (so to speak).

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Ensign
Jun 12, 2011
That got me thinking Ratbeard,what do you mean by companion amounts by disnign. Does that mean that it won a contest or a poll? I wonder.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
lol yea gold farming for tomes is a pain

my WD had like 21 or 22 companions total (not counting my test realm companions or the ones i bought from shop in live)

at level 65 in test tomes are like 8500ish having all them mouths is a nightmare on gold farming now.

Also want to point out buccs have the lowest amount because in theory buccs are the tank class so they don't need the extra companions. Privateers have the highest because im guessing its the fact they don't really have alot of skills that do damage so they need the extra companions to deal the damage for them.

Captain
May 13, 2011
Ratbeard on May 20, 2013 wrote:
Different classes have different numbers of companions, and this is by design-- some players like having lots of companions, and some players like being able to focus on just a few companions.

If you want to play the class with the most companions, choose Privateer.

If you want to play the class with the fewest companions, choose Buccaneer.
doesnt stop me from buying companions on my buccaneer when I have crowns

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
justin42203 on May 21, 2013 wrote:
That got me thinking Ratbeard,what do you mean by companion amounts by disnign. Does that mean that it won a contest or a poll? I wonder.
I think they planned it that way, and then the beta testers gave their feedback on how they liked the classes that way.
Some people like to run right into fights and might not want to spend a lot of time giving crew orders. Buckaneer suits that style. Other people would rather stand back and be the captain, mostly giving orders to their crew and having more of them to shuffle around for different situations,thus the privateer. The reason some get more crew and some less is flexibility. There are many different ways to play and they are giving us options. If you only have a few crew, I bet you know their moves very well and just how to use them. I find changing pirate class changes how I play the battles greatly. It also helps me understand better what the other pirates I play with are seeing in the battle board.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
The problem I see with the companion number imbalance is that you only get at most 3 companions in a battle, doesn't matter if you are privateer, buccaneer or whatever. So having more companions is kind of a disadvantage for privateers, since, as StarsongKY said, you have more "mouths to feed".

Ensign
Jun 12, 2011
CaptainBlackBart on May 21, 2013 wrote:
lol yea gold farming for tomes is a pain

my WD had like 21 or 22 companions total (not counting my test realm companions or the ones i bought from shop in live)

at level 65 in test tomes are like 8500ish having all them mouths is a nightmare on gold farming now.

Also want to point out buccs have the lowest amount because in theory buccs are the tank class so they don't need the extra companions. Privateers have the highest because im guessing its the fact they don't really have alot of skills that do damage so they need the extra companions to deal the damage for them.
That does make more sense. Buccaneers do get weapons with the highest damage. I have been to the test realm with all of my guys. Two were WDs and the rest were one of each. At level 65 buccaneers do have a weapon that can do 290 - 340 damage thanks for your post that really helped!