Companions account wide not single char.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 28, 2009
9
King's Isle why are you trying to get me to spend tons of money to buy the same companions? I am sorry but something as important as Companions for Pirates 101 should be bought once and on all chars. You need companions in this game and soooooooooo many unlock in the crown store. So why is it not buy once for all chars? Also please do not spite out some mumbo jumbo about the cost of this and that when it took you how many years to update this game and so many of us are still waiting for a new bundle even though you have spit out like 15 new ones for wizards.

Sorry to all who have different opinions but i fill strongly that companions should be given to all chars, its just a major part of the game. House's, gear, mounts i can see seperate but atleast you can trade gear and mounts to other chars on your account.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7489
silent1584 on Jun 13, 2016 wrote:
King's Isle why are you trying to get me to spend tons of money to buy the same companions? I am sorry but something as important as Companions for Pirates 101 should be bought once and on all chars. You need companions in this game and soooooooooo many unlock in the crown store. So why is it not buy once for all chars? Also please do not spite out some mumbo jumbo about the cost of this and that when it took you how many years to update this game and so many of us are still waiting for a new bundle even though you have spit out like 15 new ones for wizards.

Sorry to all who have different opinions but i fill strongly that companions should be given to all chars, its just a major part of the game. House's, gear, mounts i can see seperate but atleast you can trade gear and mounts to other chars on your account.
Since characters are at different levels throughout the game, having all companions available to all characters isn't feasible; unlocking companions through quests ( some main, some side ) makes the game more playable.
It's not "mumbo jumbo" to point out the way KI gets it's revenue - memberships, crowns players and, yes, crowns purchases of companions.
As for Goronado, because he's potentially such a powerful companion, I don't think its asking too much that the player unlock him for each character, then buy him.
Everybody gets many companions for free and if you want a companion that another character has through questing, it shouldn't be given to all characters, again, KI gets much of it's revenue from Crown Shop purchases.
Not all gear suits all characters, houses, ships and ship cabins can't be traded so why companions?

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
silent1584 on Jun 13, 2016 wrote:
King's Isle why are you trying to get me to spend tons of money to buy the same companions? I am sorry but something as important as Companions for Pirates 101 should be bought once and on all chars. You need companions in this game and soooooooooo many unlock in the crown store. So why is it not buy once for all chars? Also please do not spite out some mumbo jumbo about the cost of this and that when it took you how many years to update this game and so many of us are still waiting for a new bundle even though you have spit out like 15 new ones for wizards.

Sorry to all who have different opinions but i fill strongly that companions should be given to all chars, its just a major part of the game. House's, gear, mounts i can see seperate but atleast you can trade gear and mounts to other chars on your account.
I have a different opinion and I couldn't disagree more strongly with yours. (apology accepted by the way) Houses, gear and mounts are certainly tradable and this makes perfect sense. Houses and mounts don't aid in combat and gear typically has class and level limitations so there's nothing wrong with being able to shuffle those between your pirates. A companion on the other hand is a powerful ally in combat. If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting then you want a one time purchase of a companion to grant a copy of that companion to every pirate on your account. This can't happen! Any more than purchasing a house or a weapon or a pet would grant that item to all of your pirates. I've tried looking at this from many angles and I can't find one that makes any sense. You are making a purchase for your account... that's all-inclusive... it's up to you to decide which of the pirates gets the item. And in spite of the fact that you might refer to it as mumbo jumbo, the cost of "this and that" is what it's all about for KI. It is a for-profit enterprise. And frankly, while it's true that it has been a while since an update, I fail to see why that has anything to do with this subject unless you're looking at this as some sort of reward for our patience.
And a note regarding unlocked companions in the Crown store... even if getting a companion for all pirates was a thing... they unlock at different levels... so if my level 60 unlocks a companion then should that companion show up as an ally for my level 5? Doesn't seem right to me.

Ensign
Jun 28, 2009
9
That or allow them to be bought we gold!

Ensign
Feb 06, 2016
49
Only companions that should be given to all chars are ones from bundles (Cornelius, etc) since they cost the most out of the rest, but otherwise I disagree, since you can basically just have, like, Goronado at level 1

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7489
silent1584 on Jun 14, 2016 wrote:
That or allow them to be bought we gold!
Money, money, money - it's not going to happen because those purchases give KI the revenue to run this game, which we all love.

Ensign
Feb 06, 2016
49
silent1584 on Jun 14, 2016 wrote:
That or allow them to be bought we gold!
No. 1 Moo Manchu run and boom you have atleast 1 compaion.

Ensign
Jun 28, 2009
9
sorry guys but i disagree if you unlock it once it should be for all chars, no that does not mean Goronado at lvl 1, what i am saying is once you bought it once its unlocks for free for all chars, that means you go through the quest again and bam once that companion is unlocked again through another pirates quest you wont have to buy it again. That would not make you have a lvl 65 companion for a lvl 1 and if you noticed the companions you do unlock and buy are unlocked at your lvl plus 1 or two lvls higher. Though i agree bundle companions for all chars as well.

You guys wanna waste hundred of dollars buying crowns again and again if you are a companion collector then thats on you and just dumb(sorry but it is even if you are well off in the money department). Also if you think/say KI is all about the rev and i should just keep buying crowns to get my companions i still want to point out that they do not update this game or release bundles like they do for wizards. So if they want to bump up their rev they might want to put out more bundles and content.

Though i do not mind buying crowns since it can be used in both wizards and pirates, i find it to be a waste to repeat buy companions. Agree to disagree people.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2012
145
anecorbie on Jun 15, 2016 wrote:
Money, money, money - it's not going to happen because those purchases give KI the revenue to run this game, which we all love.
If they were to implement this I would use something that a great game Guild Wars 2 uses. They have a currency exchange gold for gems, gems for gold 1 gem equaling about 2-3 gold. To get anything in their store you need at least 400 gems to buy the simpler stuff and 800 gems for the better stuff. What I also like is that this system the prices on gems change depending on how much gold is in the game or some other mathematical formula like that. During the holidays the prices skyrocket because people are buying gold with gems and right after it just drops.
In Pirate101 I believe it would be something like 500,000 gold is equal to 500 crowns which would probably discourage some people because it seems very unreasonable which if you think about it does make sense. How long does Moo manchu take 2 hours? 10 hours of farming seems like a fair compromise for some of those great companions :).

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
I could maybe see some merit to this argument if purchased companions were necessary to successfully play the game. But they are not! I have three (before the update) maxed pirates and have never purchased a Crown companion because the ones I've gotten through normal progression work just fine. We already get a couple of pages of companions as it is... and we can only use three companions at most at any given time in combat. I've yet to see a purchased companion that was so much better than any of my normal companions that I found it necessary to expend Crowns to get him. By shuffling companions you can adapt to pretty much any situation. I'm also not one to purchase gear or companions because they "look cool". I make purchases based on need unless I'm decorating my home or hoping for a specific pet.
I consider us fortunate that KI offers multiple character slots. In a way that gives us 5 games for the price of 1. They could very easily have taken the "greedy" road and required us to purchase extra slots in both Wizard and Pirate. (oops, hope I don't give them any ideas)
Buying them with gold - absolutely not! Might as well make them free. Gold is so easy to come by it would be no problem for everyone to load up on every possible companion.

Community Leader
If you buy an item from the crown shop. You get 1 item (not 6).

Although many of those items can be traded back and forth between your pirates via the shared bank, companions cannot be. Because they can match up to the pirates level, have achieved abilities based on their own progression alongside the one pirate, and some are specialized per class. It would not be fair to trade a high level companion to a low level pirate without demoting the companion back down to the pirates level, taking away all it had "learned" etc. Not to mention that would probably be a rather daunting task to build into the game (fluctuating a companions talents depending on which pirate it was traded to).

The solution is not to give the companion to all of your pirates. It is not "buy 1" get 6, no item in the crown shop works this way. You pick the pirate you want it on, and purchase it for that pirate.

Perhaps KI should consider selling an "Account Wide" variation of companions, allowing all of a players pirates to have one (but not trade), this would be at a higher cost of course.

Just my 2 doubloons on the matter...

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Jun 28, 2009
9
but see i am not saying trade them between chars, i am saying that you buy once and thats all. You still do the quest at the right lvl to unlock the companion but instead of buying it again you get it free. That means you still lvl up another pirate do that same quest again to unlock that companion and you get it instead of buying it.

People i am not saying nor said Higher lvl companions for low lvl toons, i am not saying trading companions between toons either. I am just saying buy once thats all. You still do the same leg work to get companion but you dont have to dish out more money for crowns to buy them again.

Community Leader
silent1584 on Jun 16, 2016 wrote:
but see i am not saying trade them between chars, i am saying that you buy once and thats all. You still do the quest at the right lvl to unlock the companion but instead of buying it again you get it free. That means you still lvl up another pirate do that same quest again to unlock that companion and you get it instead of buying it.

People i am not saying nor said Higher lvl companions for low lvl toons, i am not saying trading companions between toons either. I am just saying buy once thats all. You still do the same leg work to get companion but you dont have to dish out more money for crowns to buy them again.
Well KI has never structured their crown shop sales in that fashion.
It has always been designed to buy for the pirate of your choice, and only that pirate, has been that way for years now.

They would have to make the cost of the companions considerably higher to make them "account wide" purchases applying to all of a persons pirates.

Think about the 1000's already sold over the past couple years, you couldn't extend this for new purchasers only, it would have to be applied retroactively to be fair and that would likely cause much mayhem across the board. And what about the players that have purchased them multiple times already because they wanted them on multiple pirates?

IMO, they would have to make this an entirely new crown shop item/variation (account wide companion), which would have to be a more expensive purchase to be fair.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Jun 28, 2009
9
yes they could do that and it would be nice, that is something i can agree on